Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #1  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Default Jump Rope Suggestions

Okay all you wonderful Crossfitters. I need suggestions. I covet a really great jump rope. A speed rope! My gym has these beaded jump ropes that are long enough for maybe a second grader. I'm only 5'3" and can barely get any head clearance with these stupid things. I don't know where all the good ropes are going to at my gym but there are not always on the floor so now, I'm bringing in my own. Just add it to the list of frustrations here.

Anyway, I'm looking at custom ropes through Rouge Fitness but I'm not sure which one to purchase. I like the idea of getting a heavier rope but yet I want to be able to do endurance work with this too. What kind of rope are you using when doing your CrossFit double unders? Should this matter? What would your preference be if you were purchasing one?

http://www.roguefitness.com/ropes-as...jump-ropes.php
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

what's the benefit of using this rope over just imagining it's there? better coordination?
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #3  
Kallos Sthenos

Coordination is the added benefit, as well as form and technique. Without the threat of a rope whipping me on the backside or up side the head I probably would drop my shoulders, slow down, etc. I'm also working on double unders and it helps to be able to hear the rope.

I jump laterally, around the room, like think moving from side to back to other side then forward creating a big square around the room. (Not as easy as you might think...both the movement and finding an empty room) I also figured out how to jump while turning myself and the rope in circles...it's just more than jumping up and down getting my heart rate up. I like the challenge of making the rope behave.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Lydia - my DH made his own jump rope like those in the gym. He too is only 5'3" and had the same getting-hit-with-the-rope. I'll ask him where he got the bead thingies....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

Pat: Thanks for talking to your DH for suggestions.

As a side note: I was further considering why I do this as a form of cardio instead of just running, elliptical, or jumping in place/burpee kind of thing. (I do those too by the way) It's more for agility I think than coordination. Yeah, I think that really is the added benefit of getting a rope to do things beyond just the standard skip. When you can move around and switch directions in that movement with a rope, it's more of an agility challenge for me.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Pat: Thanks for talking to your DH for suggestions.

As a side note: I was further considering why I do this as a form of cardio instead of just running, elliptical, or jumping in place/burpee kind of thing. (I do those too by the way) It's more for agility I think than coordination. Yeah, I think that really is the added benefit of getting a rope to do things beyond just the standard skip. When you can move around and switch directions in that movement with a rope, it's more of an agility challenge for me.
Well said, Lydia. People forget that agility, flexibility, coordination, and balance are all important keys to (and indicators of!) physical fitness. Plus, anytime you switch from one cardio to another, you use different muscles, keeping your body guessing. It's important to vary the cardio routine and not just stick to the same old elliptical, bike, etc. I'm totally with you on the jump roping!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

Thanks. Not to mention it's just a lot of fun if you don't mind tapping into your eight year old self. : I'll post about my rope experience after it's arrived...which may be a while since I still haven't ordered it.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Lydia, I finally managed to have jump ropes in the front of my brain and DH in the vicinity at the same time. He made his by using a piece of nylon rope/cord from REI (climbing dept) and beads he made himself. He used hard nylon/plastic tubing of the type that's sold for plumbing water in refrigerators and cut them 1-1.5" using a wire cutter. I'm not sure this helps you, as I thought he had bought the beads, but, well, there you go. Hope it helps.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #9  
Kallos Sthenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Lydia, I finally managed to have jump ropes in the front of my brain and DH in the vicinity at the same time.
Yep. My life too. I see DH about five minutes in the morning and for about an hour before I go to bed.But it's an improvement over last year with him living eight hours away so I'm not complaining!

Actually, this is a pretty clever method too. I'm still going to order on of the speed ropes but if that doesn't fit well, I'll try your DH's method.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Did you buy a jump rope? I really like ours although I've thought about buying a fancier one. I dreaded doing jump roping until I started doing. It is great stuff
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 272/219.6/145

Height: 5' 4

How long do you guys jump rope for? Any tips for someone who has not jumped rope since....well farther back than I can remember.
KmbRN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #12  
Just Me

When I jump, I go for successful revolutions. So it might be 100, 200 or 600 I've also been trying to do double unders but I haven't been successful in that endeavor yet.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

Nope. Not yet Nelie. Thanks for reminding me. It's on my list...along with making a dental appointment.

Revolutions is a good idea. I haven't done that in a while. Guess I'm a clock watcher.

I usually just jump in two to three minute intervals (or for as long as I can) for about fifteen to twenty minutes. I prefer to do it as my first cardio session after I've done a warm up. Kind of like "Cardio Play Time" for me. I'll try to do new things knowing I'll probably mess up. When I take my mind off of it and there's no pressure to do anything right it turns out to be a a pretty effective HIIT session.

As far as tips? Not really. I just kind of picked up a rope and gave it a shot and one thing led to another...There are youtube videos that offer suggestions. I found them kind of intimidating at first so I decided to just spend some time with the rope and play with some of the ideas when no one else was watching.

Here's some inspiration for ya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yHjnfABvhw

Now! Doesn't that look like fun.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #14  
Just Me

I showed my husband that video and he said one of our exercise videos has Buddy Lee in it. Sure enough! We have a TRX jump rope video and he is in it. I went and did part of it. It is pretty cool.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #15  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Oh good golly, don't pay that trumped up price for a jumprope, Lydia!

http://www.buyjumpropes.net/default.asp

The cable freestyle or licorice are good for tricks like crossovers and work fine for double-unders too. If you just want to do double unders or singles really fast, go with the speed cable style with the white tip on the handle. The Buddy Lee ropes (google it) are good, too, and fast, but more expensive, and not necessarily faster than the others. ANY of these ropes is adjustable, so get an 8' or 9' rope, bring it home, and play with the length for a few days before you cut the excess off.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote