Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #1  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

Default People don't mean to be hurtful but they are

Today I saw a person I used to work with. She asked me if I had had a baby. I guess she assumed I did since I have gained about 50 lbs since I saw her last. I think its funny people assume I've had a kid when personally I don't feel I am old enough to have a kid I am only 21. Also I was trying to squeeze passed my friend in a theatere and she didn't stand up and when I couldn't get passed her she said "we're all plus sized" and laughed she is very over weight and while there is nothing wrong with being plus sized I don't consider myself plus size. People hurt my feelings sometimes.
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

That's kinda jacked. It's obvious she was trying to be friendly about the whole thing but I could definitely see how you got offended. Maybe she was always jealous when you were skinny and now she is feeling cocky because you gained weight. I know it's fricked up by I do kinda feel amused when I see someone who use to be skinny get fat. XD
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #3  

I try to be nice most of the time, and I'm usually not happy to see people becoming unhealthy. That being said, there is something amusing when someone who was cruel to my fat friends in HS ends up just as fat or fatter as an adult. lol
BattleshipBettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #4  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

Yall are so right. I use to get picked on about my size from the skinny minies but some of them are much larger than me now! It is quite amusing!
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #5  

Sorry I got off topic.

To the OP, People don't mean to be mean I'm sure, but I think a lot of times they don't know what to say. In HS one of my friends had a sleep over and her mom was there. Her mother not only had a belly that rode very high, but every part of her body was thin other than that very round and protruding tummy. I mean she LOOKED pregnant. most of us had known that her mother had her tubes tied after her little brother was born, but there was one girl that obviously didn't. SHe asked my friend (with her mother standing there) if she was goign to have a new little brother or little sister. Needless to say there was much crying and many hurt feelings. The girl didn't MEAN to be cruel, but she honestly looked liek she was a few weeks from dropping a baby. She even wore thosejumper dresses with a yoke above the bust and then some gathering and they hang loose everywhere else. I mean if you didn't KNOW, you wouldn't know... you know?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/205/140

Height: 5'4

people are so mean sometimes!!!! The other day on the train on the way to work i was sitting and I saw what i thought was pregnant person standing in front of me but my goodness once it was obvious, as it is cold here and she was wearing a knee lenghth down filled coat which would make anyone look pregnant all I said was 'you can have my seat and I stood as i said it. She was fairly thin and holding her tummy and was a big givaway but without doing that it just looked like a big coat and I am sure someone in thier 20's would wonder why i would offer them a seat without being pregnant or old.
Ashley777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If a friend of mine looked like they gained weight I wouldn't ask them if they had a baby! I'd be like "so how are you- what's new?" And then if they mentioned a baby great! If not, then guess there was no baby! lol.

As for the plus sized thing I'm sure your friend didn't mean it to be offensive *hug* - more like "hey lazy butt get up we can't get past you!!" lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleshipBettie View Post
That being said, there is something amusing when someone who was cruel to my fat friends in HS ends up just as fat or fatter as an adult. lol
I agree.
My 3rd grade teacher (who was thin at the time) was doing opposites for a lesson and used the example of one girl on my class being thin and me being fat. And went on to humiliate me during the lesson. I will never forget that (I'm 30 now). But I saw her years later, when I was in my early 20s, and she was round as round can be! I wanted to walk up to her and call her fat and ask her if she liked it. I didn't, but I did enjoy seeing her so big!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Wow glamourgirl that's so mean! A TEACHER?! If my mother had gotten wind of that she'd have gone ballistic on the teacher.

LOL BG I know what you mean- I've seen a few people I went to high school with who have gained and I also felt like HA! I don't wish fat on people but sometimes you can't help it!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #10  

Ah, Beerab my mother was one that battles lots of social anxiety, and was likely borderline. My mother would never confront anyone on my behalf.

I remember one time a neighbor was telling my mother and I about her daughter's up coming party. I asked if there was going to be swimming (because I can't swim, and was alway embarassed in a bathing suit b/c of my weight). The girl's mother yelled (looking back, this woman was a wack-a-doo anyway) but she yelled at me about how her daughter's party wasn't good enough for me...IN FRONT OF MY MOTHER! I barely got out is was because I couldnt swim then burst into tears and ran home. My mother simply followed me home, she was too scared (or indifferent) to even stand up for me.

Sorry to go off post, but I wanted to share that, since most people would be wondering why my mother never stood up for me.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 03-01-2011 at 07:15 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #11  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

j0lamo01, people can be so oblivious (and so rude)! And you certainly do not seem plus-size! Jeez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
My 3rd grade teacher...
What kind of person does that?! Sound like a real classy lady...

Oh, and BattleshipBettie, the other thread closed before I got to respond, and I can't PM you — I wasn't making the O.O face because you told us that! I was making it because he sounds like a creeper.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #12  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Now I am a woman and if there is one thing I have learned about women in my lifetime and I hope I never forget it, is you do not under any circumstances ask a woman if she is pregnant or has had a baby, the only thing that makes that question null is if you actually see a baby exiting her vagina.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #13  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnodat View Post
Now I am a woman and if there is one thing I have learned about women in my lifetime and I hope I never forget it, is you do not under any circumstances ask a woman if she is pregnant or has had a baby,
I agree. She didn't have to address my extra weight at all. There are plenty of other things that we could have talked about.
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I've learned never to assume someone is pregnant or just had a baby, but I did almost have a slip up moment last week. I was grocery shopping and getting some frozen veggies from the top shelf, and a fairly obese middle aged woman comes up in one of those scooters people can ride around the store and is looking up the shelf.. I almost asked if she needed help getting something up on the shelf, but then thought it might seem offensive asking, then I just walked away and she left.. I still feel bad not being sure if I should of asked if she needed help or maybe she was just looking.

So you are right, sometimes people just don't mean to be rude and simply just don't know any better, I think we are all guilty of it sometimes.

oh,. but I do love to see bullies from high school gain weight or just not looking as hot as they did back in the day, but you know they probably still don't know how hurtful their words were back in school.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #15  

yeah he was, still is I'm sure whereever he is at!

I don't remember shutting PMs off or anything, maybe it's because I'm new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseFalls View Post
j0lamo01, people can be so oblivious (and so rude)! And you certainly do not seem plus-size! Jeez.

What kind of person does that?! Sound like a real classy lady...

Oh, and BattleshipBettie, the other thread closed before I got to respond, and I can't PM you — I wasn't making the O.O face because you told us that! I was making it because he sounds like a creeper.