Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Taking time to prepare/plate foods

I've seen this discussed on here zillions of times, so I'm not pretending like I've discovered a new magic trick or anything, hehe. But recently, this method has been helping me stay on plan and be more satisfied with the foods I'm eating.

I know many of us became foodies, maybe even food snobs, during the weight loss journey. I personally learned how to cook (I seriously had never even baked a chicken breast before I started). I gained a different kind of enthusiasm for food. I had to shift my obsession with food from eating as much as possible of whatever was easy and quick to eating GOOD foods. Finding new foods, finding new recipes, learning new methods, discovering new flavors, etc.

Well, even with my new appreciation of good food, I'm just now really embracing this trick to its fullest. I'm making a significant effort to prepare my food and plate it so it's as appealing and pretty as possible. And that goes for everything I eat. One of my favorite snacks is half a tomato, for example. In the past, I've sliced up half a tomato and stood in the kitchen eating it straight off the cutting board. Well yesterday, I sliced up my tomato and arranged the slices in a circle on a small plate, sprinkled it with a bit of pepper and spritzed it with my basalmic dressing spray, placed a few leaves of fresh basil between the slices and sprinkled a tablespoon of skim milk mozarella over it (adding a few more calories). It was a makeshift insalata caprese. I sat down at the table and took time to enjoy my tasty and "pretty" snack. It was infinitely more satisfying than gobbling half a tomato off the cutting board.

Now that I'm getting in the habit of preparing and plating all the foods that I eat, grabbing a handful of whatever from the pantry isn't as appealing. I'm trying to let myself enjoy any food that I want, but it has to be prepared and pretty. My husband was eating chips and salsa. I wanted chips and salsa, but grabbing chips out of a bag and dipping them in the jar of salsa is neither prepared nor pretty. Instead, I crushed some tortilla chips, seasoned them with paprika, cayenne, garlic and onion powder, and cumin and dredged a chicken breast in it. Baked it and topped it with salsa. And of course, plated it with appropriate Mexican sides. All calories counted. I took those flavors I wanted (chips and salsa) and made a pretty meal.

Well, this is getting long-winded. But my point is, try taking time to arrange whatever you eat and appreciate it without even eating it. The process of planning it, preparing it, the sight and smell of it, and the experience of eating it. Even if it's just a Fiber One bar and some yogurt or something.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

I completely agree! I made a beautiful taco salad the other day, so pretty I almost took a picture of it. I often take pictures of meals I make, I haven't gotten to the point where I post them on facebook but I could totally see that happening

It makes a difference to sit down to a nicely prepared plate of food rather than something all slopped together, at least to me. I think it helps with the sustainability of your success, if you dread meals because you don't really like what you are eating how is that going to help you continue to lose or maintain?

Last edited by Jelma; 03-01-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #3  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

mkendrick, I really, really love this post! I love the tomato salad you made! You were eating like a princess, just like you deserve!

I have really enjoyed doing this as well. I'm like this at the grocery store, too. I spend time admiring the produce, always pick the prettiest of the bunch. And on a side note, I keep finding conjoined produce! One day I found a grape that looked like conjoined twins. Then I found a carrot that had 2 growing out of the top. Imagine my surprise the other day when I opened my pack of mushrooms and found one with a split head and 2 stems growing out of it! Then a couple days ago my hubby got an egg with a double yolk! I'm so amused by fresh, whole foods!

I'm going to take it to the next level like you are, not just for myself, but for my family as well. Showing love with food goes way back in my family, but there are other ways to do that besides adding a stick of butter to everything. And tucking a few pretty basil leaves in with your tomato says to me "now there's a gal who loves herself!" Thanks for the inspiration!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

This is a great idea and so true. Meals are so much more satisfying when they look pretty!

Jelma, I'd love to see your food pics. Maybe we should start a photo thread somewhere on here of what people had for dinner.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'-1"

You know I've always been a good cook. I guess one may be able to tell that by my spare tire belly. But, when I say "good cook" I mean I am great at what I like to call "farm food". I grew up on a farm, raised by my grandparents who loaded me with carbs, butter, and whole milk my entire life growing up... So, I can make a mean chicken and dumplings, tantalize even the staunchest of people with pork chops and cornbread, and yes... this all includes the ever present steak with a giant loaded baked potatoe (don't forget the bacon).

However, your post has really inspired me. I know I have the skills necessary to cook whatever. I'm going to learn to cook all over again though... with healthy choices. Out goes the Crisco, in comes the EVOO. Thanks a million for the inspiration!!!
DanielleLynnMichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, I think this all comes down to loving yourself. Which is a great thing.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I make a point to sort of "ritualize" all my meals. Eating on the go is a no-no for me because if I'm distracted, my body thinks it hasn't been fed.

My friends and I have a habit of photographing our lunches and dinners and sending the pictures to each other via text message. Since they are all better cooks than I am, it motivates me to make attractive and colorful meals.

That tomato salad sounds divine, mkendrick. Presentation is everything, and a lot of the time it makes you feel like you're getting more - Japanese restaurant meals come on a huge tray with at least 5 individual plates that look like this, and it feels ENORMOUS even if it isn't *that* much food.

krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

We always 'serve' our food. At the table, in bowls (not pots and pans). I pour my heart into nearly everything I make - even if it's just for myself. Food is so important to me.

Ironically, I became a pretty good bread baker (and cake decorator) and guess what? I no longer eat those kinds of carbs. I still make them for my family - I make all our bread, but just take pride in how they look, feel and smell.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
The process of planning it, preparing it, the sight and smell of it, and the experience of eating it. Even if it's just a Fiber One bar and some yogurt or something.
Such a beautiful, simple, hilarious thought!! Great post. I try to do the same thing for meals, but not for small snacks. But you've inspired me!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

I had a friend who would spend 10 minutes preparing an Oats n' Honey granola bar, yogurt, and apple. She would punch the granola bar until it crumbled into tiny pieces, sprinkle it over vanilla yogurt that she put in a bowl containing apple wedges. Then, she'd squeeze some honey over the whole thing. I would look at it and think, "She's just eating a granola bar, apple, and yogurt. Why bother?"

She said just just enjoyed it more that way. :-)
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #11  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
I had a friend who would spend 10 minutes preparing an Oats n' Honey granola bar, yogurt, and apple. She would punch the granola bar until it crumbled into tiny pieces, sprinkle it over vanilla yogurt that she put in a bowl containing apple wedges. Then, she'd squeeze some honey over the whole thing. I would look at it and think, "She's just eating a granola bar, apple, and yogurt. Why bother?"

She said just just enjoyed it more that way. :-)
That's exactly what I'm talking about!!! Paris81, it is kind of a funny thought, to elegantly present something simple like a granola bar and yogurt. But think how much more satisfying it would be. I know I've wolfed down a Fiber One that I dug out of my purse while driving. When I'm hungry later, I hardly remember eating because I was so mindless about it. But imagine a pretty little plate with a granola bar, topped with a big dollop of yogurt, and a few fresh berries arranged delicately around it. Sure, it would take longer to prepare, but that's kind of the point. You'd be very aware of the food you were about to eat, and then you'd get to sit down to a beautiful snack.

I think it'd be fun to get a food photography thread going. Try to make the most mundane snacks (not to mention the fancy cullinary creations that we come up with) as pretty and appetizing as possible
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I think a meal photo thread is an excellent idea! I belong to a cooking forum and someone is always posting pics of their meals. I've even started doing it some, too.

I've really changed the way I eat AND cook in the last year or two. I'm hoping my sons and fiance are enjoying the absence of Hamburger Helper, boxed mac and cheese, etc. I am serving in bowls and setting the table and it really does make eating a meal together more enjoyable.

I do the same for myself, too. Just tonight I boiled and mashed a sweet potato and steamed some asparagus (steamed w/ crushed garlic in the water,grated lemon peel, lemon juice and pepper). I was alone for supper. I put it on a plate and made it look nice and enjoyed every bite, along with the fruit salad, also in a bowl. Now that I have a home with a dishwasher, it has made it much easier to use real plates, etc. than the paper I've used so much in the past. Don't get me wrong, I still use paper sometimes.

I am always getting compliments at work on how pretty my salads look. Having my food look as good as it tastes is a very important factor in being able to stick to my plan.

Great thread!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote