Exercise! - Calling All Walkers! Join Us!

View Full Version : Calling All Walkers! Join Us!

RubyBlue
12-10-2002, 01:33 PM
This group's for any and all walkers or those who are soon to be one! So whether you walk for exercise or fun, on a treadmill or outside come join us and let us know about your travels. Sveltechicky and I are coming over from the other walking thread and would love to meet some new people. So jump right in and say hello!:)

Happy Walking:wave:

RubyBlue
12-10-2002, 01:42 PM
Ok Svelte lets hope we snag a few walkers!

Yesterday I was able to get about 40 minutes in on the treadmill. It was too cold outside to walk, but I had dog guilt the whole night because she kept giving me those "please walk me" eyes. Oh well, it's nicer today so I'll walk her silly!

For anyone new and looking around, I walk everyday anywhere between 30 minutes and an hour. I've been getting great results and have lost about 20lbs in a little over 2 months . So what's everyone else's program or plans?
Take Care

WNYmom
12-12-2002, 10:43 AM
I walk on my treadmill 3 days a week for 35 minutes a session. I really started this back in mid. Sept and so far with watching what I eat, drinking lots of water and my walking I have managed to drop 22.5 lbs. I have a long way to go but this is a good start. I am very pleased so far.
I would love to link up to other walkers here. I live outside Buffalo and the weather has now turned cold and nasty so I don't get out much and even when it is nice out my area is not good for walking. We have no sidewalks and the roads are narrow and no shoulders so I have my treadmill!

RubyBlue
12-12-2002, 02:04 PM
Hello Janine!
I've just got my treadmill going myself, I know what you mean by the nasty weather. Though we're lucky to have a few mild days right now. So I've been alternating between walking outdoors and the treadmill depending on the weather. Yesterday I took a long walk outside and looked at xmas lights. I like walking because it's something I can do everyday and really never get bored with it. My legs, especially my calves, are shaping up pretty quickly so that's not bad either! I'm glad you said hi, welcome! I hope more walkers join us soon. :)
Take Care

WNYmom
12-12-2002, 05:43 PM
It would be nice to get several people here. I have been looking for a board of walkers for some time.
I have my treadmill right in the living room and it is iFIT.com compatable so I also have it hooked up to the computer. When I am ready to workout I just go to the site, pick out a workout, grab a big cup of water and the remote for the TV and off I go. The site controls my speed and incline for me. I don't even have to think about it. I can watch TV so I don't get bored.
I have also noticed a change in my calf muscles. My hips as well! I also used to tire easily just going up one flight of stairs and now I can go from the basement to the bedrooms on the second floor with a load of laundry and still have the energy to put the stuff away!!!!! So for the few short months I have been doing this I have seen many changes and they are all for the good!

RubyBlue
12-15-2002, 02:15 PM
Hi,
Your treadmill sounds so high tech, very cool. I've got a Nordic Track, it's got it's own programs and things and runs pretty much by itself without me pressing too many buttons. I usually listen to music but I'm thinking of setting up a tv because I tend to stare at the timer and that can sometimes drag on.
Isn't amazing how fast you see results with walking? Congrats on your accomplishments! I'm still seeing things everyday, my behind is definitely smaller too! That's a very good thing. My pants are all looser or fit better, such a good feeling.
I really hope we can get a walking group to come here regularly, they just have to find us first!:) SvelteChicky,another walking buddy, should be stopping in here soon. So 3 or 4 us would be a nice number to keep something going. Yesterday I did a nice nature walk with my dog, it was about 2 miles. I saw a bunch of cardinals out and about, that was nice to see. Not everything is dormant here in the winter. Take Care

JaZvIneZ
12-15-2002, 07:47 PM
Greetings!

I am new to the boards... and enjoy walking! I have a walking partner here in Texas... but looking for motivation! I like to challenge myself and am wondering if you have any suggestions? It seems like we are walking at least four days a week, 3-5 miles a day... but, I feel I need more. Faster times on the walks? Or, something to get my heart rate up there... I am 42, metabolism is slowing down and I guess I need a kick start! I am looking to see results within 2 months and willing to do what it takes to make it happen... any suggestions? Thanks!

WNYmom
12-16-2002, 10:25 PM
I think my treadmill is very simple.
I understand the watching the clock and I have found that watching tv is great. I can watch the news or a soap and before I know it my time is done! I also feel so much better on the days that I do my workouts. My major problem right now is time! With Christmas just around the corner I have been busy with shopping so I guess you could say I get my walking done there but the pace is not good! I have also been eating out more but I am trying to pick the right things. Today I had a chicken whopper no mayo and a side salad but only used about half the dressing pack. It was more than enough!
I have also met my goal for years end today!!!!!! I am now down 25#!!! I set my goal for 5-8# between Thanksgiving and New years and I hit the 5# mark today even with a few parties thrown in! I am happy with this so far so anything else I loose till the rest of the year is like icing on the cake! I will have to figure out my next goal after that but for now I am getting a short break from goals. I think a 25# drop since mid Sept is great for me!
Now we need to get this little group going!

lily rose
12-17-2002, 06:44 AM
Today I am going to start walking on a treadmill.I is raining right now so I won't be able to walk outside.I know it is not much but it is a start.
How long do you usually walk?
:)

lily rose
12-17-2002, 09:05 AM
great job,keep up the good work

I walked on the treadmill for almost 6 minutes.I know it is not much but it is a start.I will try to do more later.
So far today I have had an apple and a egg.

I hope everyone has a great day:)

RubyBlue
12-17-2002, 03:50 PM
Hello and welcome Jazvinez and lily rose! Glad to see you:)

Jazvinez -3-5 miles is a great workout. I guess just upping your time or distance would be one way to get more results. Or even trying other things in addition to walking, like cardio tapes or weights.
Lily- Great start, I began small too and am working my way up everyday. Yesterday I did 45 on the treadmill and today I'm doing an hour walk.
Wnymom- Way to go on the 25#!:cp: I just hit 25 too, I'm excited I'm halfway to 50# and that's my first big goal. Hopefully by spring/summer I'll be there! I am eating out a lot too, I have to be very careful with that of course. I've been ordering light so I think I'm doing ok.

Take Care:flow2:

JaZvIneZ
12-18-2002, 08:06 AM
Hi RubyBlue,

Thanks for the suggestions. Last night we walked four miles and I must say I felt it, I haven't walked since last Tuesday night. I think I will look at starting some weights here at home and I have been thinking about Pilates. I am trying to lose the mid-section and it just won't budge. Maybe there is a DVD tape out there? I am seriously hoping that if we stay consistant with walking that it will help flatten my stomach too? Or, do you think I am dreaming?

Good job on your walking, it is nice to be able to exercise inside... we get a lot of rain down here... Have a fine day!

Keltic_Gypsy
12-19-2002, 11:20 AM
Hey Gals. Got room for one more. A few years ago, I lost alot of weight, and I contribute that to walking. When I stopped, slowly but surely I packed the weight back on. So here I am again, ready to paddle those dogs. I just got done doing Walk Away the Pounds. I could only go for about 10 mins, but its a start.

tryin'hard
12-19-2002, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone! I've been a walker for 1 1/2 years and I love it! I walk every morning (except Sundays--usually go with DH in the afternoon) at 5:30 a.m. for 2 1/2 miles! I have seen terrific changes in my body and really enjoy it. I just dusted off the treadmill and have begun running in the afternoons. I am able to run for 1 mile without stopping! The only problem with the treadmill is that it's BORING!! DH said he'll move a tv for me, so in the meantime, I've been blasting Christmas carols in my ears! I hope you're all doing well and having a great day!

SvelteChicky
12-19-2002, 07:31 PM
ohmigosh! Can't belive I missed you. I actually just searched for anoyther group, and wound up finding you here.. sorry i took sol ong to find you again!! I"m here Ruby! Still walking everyday Since my serobics class is on "hyatis" i'm forced to only walk. Hope christmas leaves me the same as i started. Boy, what a week so far. Makig cookies kills me. here's my stats for now:

Highest Weight: 210
Current Weight: 160
Goal Weight: 150 (so close and yet...)

WNYmom
12-20-2002, 08:34 AM
When I started walking on my treadmill I was doing 15 minutes a day, 3 days a week with a max speed of 3mph. I am now up to 35 minutes a day. I am staying at a max of 3mph. Any higher and I start to get into a jog and I don't want to do that.
I have my treadmill in the living room so I can watch TV when I walk. It really helps with the bordom!!!!!!
I am holding at 25# loss. I am trying real hard to watch what I eat and it is so hard. I can't wait till the holidays are over with and I can get back into my routine!!!!! It is so hard with all the shopping and such. I have not gotten on the treadmill all week and only got on it once last week. I have been doing alot of walking while shopping though. Only a few more weeks and everything will be back to normal again!!!!!!!!!!!

melekalikimaka
12-20-2002, 08:17 PM
Hey everybody. I'm a walker too. After sitting on my butt all day at work, I try to get in a 1 hr to 1.5 hr walk in the evenings--5-6 days a week. Lately I've been really lazy...I'd be guessing when I say it's a little over 3 miles round trip. I take a route near my home that's for the most part a steady incline. It's a workout and I feel good when I'm heading down the hill back towards home. I also have a Proform Cross Walk treadmill but I prefer walking outside in the fresh air since it's more varied. I need a little motivation to keep up the exercise. Can anyone give me a good swift kick in the pants? :)

SvelteChicky
12-21-2002, 08:20 AM
NOelle. Fancy seeing you here! Glad you joined up here too. I"m a walkig fool now! I walked yesterday, and was grooving to my Shakira CD so much, I decided to do that walk all over again! man, I was tired, but I think I ended up with 2 miles under my belt. ALmost literally too! That felt great! I'm gonn keep challenging myself out there, and hopefuly I"ll see results. Hope you girls are moving!!

SvelteChicky
12-21-2002, 08:21 AM
FORGOT THE SWIFT KICK IN THE PANTS.... WHOOMPHHHH! AND I WEAR A SIZE 8.. THAT'LL LEAVE A MARK!!!

RubyBlue
12-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Hi!
Svelte good to see you again! And hello to everyone that just joined up!
I totally agree about the holidays throwing off the schedule. I've still been sneaking in my walks everyday but its a juggling act trying to eat healthier when I'm eating all my meals on the go or out. I'm hanging in there.
Today I'm going to get on that treadmill for some serious sweating. I'm due for it. Jazvinez about the stomach, it's really funny because along with my calves the other significant change I'm noticing is in my stomach. So you're definitely not dreaming.
Well I'm going to try to get that treadmill going. I have to do some baking too, no nibbling! :)

SvelteChicky
12-22-2002, 01:39 PM
HI girls! listen, I"m dinga search on the internet for a treadmill,a nd I'm afraid I"ll never be able to afford one. How'd you girls do it,a nd about howm uch should I expect to spend? I jsut don't want to get taken for a ride.. I wanna know what to look for.

WNYmom
12-22-2002, 06:35 PM
I was able to get mine cuz DH spent about $3000 on his show car. He has been told many times that he got off easy just getting me a $700 treadmill!!!!!!!!!!!
I did some research online and finally settled on a treadmill from Sears. I went to the store and checked it out first. Things you have to watch for are belt length and width. Mine will fold up but it still takes up quite a bit of room and isn't really that easy to move around. It can be done but it isn't really easy like they make you think. Noise factor is also something to keep in mind. Mine isn't real noisy but then it isn't whisper quiet. I also have 2 drink holders and a book holder on mine even though I don't think I could read while walking it does make a nice spot to keep a pen or pencil and some paper to keep track of my workouts. Mine is also iFIT.com compatable. I tried out the free signup and liked it but don't feel I have to pay the money every week for the extras. I let that slide and now I just go there and pick out the workouts and keep track myself. Since I always watch TV while doing my workouts I don't need the music or trainer.
Good luck finding a treadmill that fits within our budget.

melekalikimaka
12-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Happy Monday everyone. Thanks to Chris (SvelteChicky) giving me the boot the other day, I did get out and walk on Friday. Saturday wasn't so great but Sunday I did a lot of walking while frantically shopping for last minute gifts.

As far as the treadmill question goes, I have a Proform Crosswalk(?) which folds up space saving. It does have the pulse/heartrate monitor and distance/calories burned windows, 2 cup holders, etc. This one doesn't have the movable arm thingies which I never used anyway Not compatible with iFit as far as I know, but I picked it up on sale from Sears a couple of years ago for under $450. It is kind of noisy but I just turn the music up and it doesn't bother me a bit--don't know about my neighbors though.

----------------------
10/24/02 SW: 215
12/23/02 CW: 195
Mini-Goal: 180 by 2/14/03
GW: 140-150

SvelteChicky
12-23-2002, 07:29 PM
Hey Noelle, I noticed your stats at the obottom of your message. You're dong reallyl great! Imagine where you were a year ago today,a nd celebrate your success so far! Just thoguth I'd highlite your accompalishment. I"m wanting a treadmill, especially since I'm coveting my friends. It would be great to have certain workout, and do it while watching TV at night. I'll put it on my wish list. I see them for really cheap (non motorized) and then very expensive, bells and whisltes. I dunno.

Tonight, I'm here at grandma's takinga break from the eating thing, we're having appetizers, like sausage balls, cheese ball and crackers, meatballs. Balls Balls Balls. NO fruit, and no veggies here. Bad. So, I took a break. I'll take a long walk afterwards. Brought the dog, so I'm also chasing her around. Hope you girls are being good!

Blueskies
12-26-2002, 01:34 AM
Recently I decided to start walking at least 5 days a week, for at least 45 minutes. I should be starting officially on the 27th. I was wondering if there is a minimum pace to get results. Also, how long did it take for you to start seeing results? Not necessarily on the scale, but in the way you look/feel.

SvelteChicky
12-26-2002, 07:04 AM
Hi BlueSkies! Love the name. I think that walking is something you decide to individualize. Some people start slow, like a short walk around the block, any speed. Generally, if you walk everyday, in the beginning you oughtta take it easy. I wouldn't power walk, (fast and strong walking) right from the beginning. Other ladies can advise you about that. BUT, for me, it's the activitiy, and not necessarily the speed that will change your body and mind. If you are consistent with walking, you will feel better within about 2 weeks, better breathing, easier to walk stairs, more energy, and I feel stronger. That's my 2 cents on that. Good idea to walk everyday. I do that, and I'm really happy with my results. It's good for the soul too. Time alone (well, wiht my dog)

RubyBlue
12-28-2002, 06:13 PM
How's everyone doing? Hope you all had a nice holiday/week.
BlueSkies welcome, I second what Svelte says about results, it's all about the individual. Go with what feels right. Also the most important thing to remember is patience. It's something I have to remind myself all the time. Walking will eventually bring the changes, if you let it.

As for me, I missed two days of walking this week because of the holiday and it just felt wrong. Today I was back on the treadmill for a good 45 minutes, I feel better. The weather is getting a little warmer again (40s) so I should be able to do some outdoor exercise tomorrow.
Quick question has anyone ever tried those walking weights you strap to your wrist and ankles? Just wondering if they make a difference or not. Take Care

SvelteChicky
12-28-2002, 06:28 PM
I hear those weights help, with resistance. its good for you if you wanna build more muscle, and get more from the same old workout. Me, i don't use weights, but try to add distance or time to my walks. And, got a bike for chrismtas, so i'm riding hte walking course a couple more times. After I walk, I get home,a nd drag out the bike, do it again. Today, just walked it. I'm feeling lousy, I thin it's from eating those holiday sweets. Headaches. It's worht it though. I realyl indulged this year. I just need to get rid of the chocolate cordials, minty M&M's, and other junk. We'll take a good biek ride on new years. I'm trying to get hubby motivated to do this with me. Well, i'm going to take a hot bath, it's freezing!

KittyMilk
12-28-2002, 08:07 PM
I'd like to join your group, I have walked and hour a day for the last 4 days, I think it's a great way to start the day, gives the dog some exersize and we both feel better for it.

Kitty

SvelteChicky
12-29-2002, 07:24 PM
Welcome, yeah I've got a doggie too. I heard from a girl at my church, she got mugged on Dec 14th. She live sin my neighborhood. That really scared me, cause I take those twalks every night.

I think we'll take walks from ymgrandmothers house, a much safer neighborhood, and hubby will go with me. Then, I'll do Aerobics on Mon/Wed nights. That'll make me feel safer, and happy to have the walking partner. I also have a bike now, so we'll take bike trips as often as we can. Probbly on Saturdays. That's my plan for now.

WNYmom
12-30-2002, 11:24 AM
Another plus to having a treadmill SvelteChicky!!!!!!!!
I have been real bad with using my treadmill this holiday season. things have been so hectic and with the tree up and such my treadmill got pushed into the diningroom. I am ashamed to say that I have not gotten on it in well over a week but very surprised to say that I am still loosing weight!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been so busy and I really think that is what is keeping the pounds dropping!!!!!!!!!!! I had a goal of dropping between 5-8lbs between Thanksgiving and New Years and as of today I am down 8.5lbs!!!!!!!!!!!! I have also set my first goal for 2003. It is to drop 15lbs between New Years and Valentine's Day. Anyone else set a goal for next year or thought about it yet? If not this is the time to do it and make sure it is a short term goal and do-able!!! Don't just say that you are gonna loose weight in 03 or that you are gonna watch what you eat in 03. Set a real goal. Write it down on the calendar but make it one you can really do!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!

Tricia
12-30-2002, 02:26 PM
Ok, here I am, and I'm ready. Hubby is coming along with me. Janine I think I have the exact same treadmill you have. No TV in site yet for me. Here's my trick,...when I was walking before...:o
I would put paper over the timer and listen to music, that way I had no idea how long it was taking..and I would try warm up one song, work for 4 songs and cool down a song..:drill: 3 years ago my hubby and I quit smoking new years 2000 :smoking: We decided this year it's time to commit to getting this extra poundage off for good so our new years 2003 is lots of:strong: and eating right..So here's to the new year. My brother in law, recently had a heart attack and upon his recovery he started walkin 2.5 on incline for 50 min. he started this mid Nov. and by xmas he had lost 22.5 lbs. So it can be done. I plan to tread it 5-6 and bowflex 3x.s and yoga at least 2-3. As I got to dancing at a xmas party :dance: and pulled a muscle in my hip...boy was I embarressed and felt the age...it's time to tune up the whole body..all around..So our official start date is Jan. 1, I just wanted to get ready with some support, before hand..

SvelteChicky
12-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Great idea,, and Thank Good ness you're doing this with hubby. NBest support system comes from home. We're here of couse, but it will be easier when you're both diong it. I have a goal to lose 10 pounds in Jan. That'll put me at my goal weight.

Starting Weight: 210
Current Weight: 160
Goal Weight: 150

Took me from may on to get this weight off. My big resolution is to keep it off, and be healthy, and toned by summer. I wish I had a treadmill!!!!

Holstien
12-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Hi I am new to this forum as of today. I started walking about 4 weeks ago for the millionth time. As of spring of this year I had been walking 10 miles a day and then after a "vacation" lost the motivation.

So I finally have started walking again. I am walking 5 miles every weekday. I like to walk early in the morning to get it over with, less people see me, and it's cool. I also have to walk outside. If I walk away from my house with cool tunes on then I have to walk back. I basically walk the same way every time. I live on a Marine Corp base so it is inspiring to see the little green Marine Corp butts jogging by. :o

SvelteChicky
12-31-2002, 02:20 PM
Wow, I'd have not problem being motivated to walk on a marine corps base too! Welcome, and I am so happy you've joined up with us. I havne't done 10 miles, ever! I sually walk one mile, it's not east here, my neighborhood is not a grid or anything. I clocke dit once, and hane't venture dof fthat path in months. I need to ifnd a place I can walk more than a mile. 5 miles is great! What are your stats, and goals?

What a day. Yesterday I did that Cleansing thing. I'm stilll running to the potty. Thanks Godness I can eat today. It was fruits and veggies all day yesterday. Makes you apreciate meat. Well, tonight we're at Dad's, and that'll be an experience. His girlf riend has no sense of humor. I'll just have fun and be myself. She can bite me!!!

RubyBlue
12-31-2002, 05:50 PM
Hi everyone
Wnymom you're so right about setting some real goals and writing them down. That's what I'll be doing today before I ring in the new year! Right now I'm shooting to lose 15 more by vday. So we'll see what happens.
Hi Tricia, it's so great you and your hubby can support eachother, great job on quitting smoking 2! I used to throw a towel over the timer on my treader but I'm a peeker, I guess I just have to be more strict w/ myself.

Welcome holstein, 5 miles a day thats great! A marine corps base, now that's the kind of motivation I would pray for!:)

How's it going Svelte. My sister has done those cleansing things. I've heard they can be very refreshing, after all the the bathroom runs of course. Have fun on new years. It's so exciting you are so close to your goal! You are doing great!

Happy New Year to everyone!

SvelteChicky
01-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Hey, I lived through the new years, without eating too much. Took my walk early on, so i could just vegitate.... was an anti-climatic night. Woo Hoo, 3...2...1... good night. cheers, and then god night. Couldn't get to sleep at dad's house... woke up early, so I kinda feel drained. Nothing better than a good nights sleep, Glad to be back home. Need to get another 10 lbs off me before the end of Jan. My goal.

WNYmom
01-02-2003, 08:51 AM
OK, New Year and I got my treadmill back where it belongs!!!!!!!!!! Today is the day I start on my new goal!!!!!!!!!!! 15lbs by V-Day!!!!!!!!!! Since I have not used my treadmill in almost 2 weeks I think I am gonna start out slow and maybe only go for a 25 minute walk and see how it goes.

Tricia
01-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Well I did it ! today was the first day of the new me..I walked 1.75 miles, my treadmill has incline set so I put in a home made CD so I know I like all the songs, warm up to the first song, then up it by incline and speed per each song until I reach 4 incline and 4 speed, and then back it back down the same way. I then did my weights, and situps and stretches and for now I feel :strong: :smug: My goals short term to walk 6 days a week , and to eat right and healthy..and I wouldn't mind losing oh 10 lbs by Feb 14th either..:flow2: But one thing at a time..I have to commit to the walking every day..that will be a big deal for me. AS for my hubby he's doing this too, but as we all know men tend to lose it quicker..and I have a thyroid condition that just means I have to work a little harder to get the same results people with a normal functioning thyroid does..I'm on meds for it and close to where I need to be, for it to work optimally..but even then the facts remain the same. I could sure go for a Marine base myself :sssh: My husband used to be army and we were at Ft. Bragg and I remember um,um..But now I'm in a small hick town in Indiana and we are having a snow storm right now..Treadmills work for me, because I control the climate..:hot: So till tomorrow..Life is what happens while you are making plans..

SvelteChicky
01-02-2003, 07:24 PM
hey. love your enthusiasm. i need a treadmill so bad. i feel so unsafe walking at night, in the winter. I hate that it gets so dark. I'm gonna bug hubby, until I can get one. Even biking takes daylight. What a bummer. Well, I'm just biding my time until aerobics starts up again. Then I can get workouts easier. I'm dragging that dog all the time. I can't get speed when she stops to smell stuff. Irk!!!

I need to get a better attitude. lately, i'm blah.

Tricia
01-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Good Morning everyone,
I just got done with my treadin, and stretchin, hey I beat yesterdays time by 30 sec. :lol: I wasn't as enthusiastic as yesterday, but I try and keep my mind on the finish line. :dancer:
I am 37 and intend on hitting my 40's Looking good and feeling just as good. Hey I figure if the celebs. can do it so can I..My friend is in this with me too, hubby's are fine, but another woman to really tredge though this with, is far more helpful. We my friend and I have made a deal that every 4 weeks if we've done well in any area, we meet for lunch and a $1 movie and check out the goodwill for something new. "we are budgeting..you know"..:dizzy: It gives us something to look forward too. The other thing is with all the "holidays" over I won't really see many people till spring I intend to emerge from my cocoon a butterfly..:goodvibes Sveltechicky: if you have been walking like you have and are that close to goal, you have proven yourself you deserve that treadmill. You know Goodwill has them alot and we have used exercise equip. place down here check around you may have one to and it may be worth it for you.
My Goals: Now: 163/163/130 Keep on ;) till tomorrow Have a great day!

SvelteChicky
01-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I looked in the Bargaineer (local cheapy paper),a nd found a couple. I'm just worried i'll buy it, lug it home, and find out it's broken, or something I don't know about needs to be fixed. Then, someone told me you have to worry about your carpet, and the shock absorbancy thing... what do I need to look for, really? I just wanna walk and walk and walk... and maybe some incline would be great, and I want it to be electronic... not manual.. ugh, i need it to move.. cause I'm hard to get going sometimes. I deifinitely am on the lookout for a bargain treadmill. Thanks for the encouragement, wish hubby was so gung-ho about getting me one... (he'll come around when I find a good deal)

DawnStorm
01-03-2003, 01:19 PM
I have got to get back into volksmarching! What the heck is that you may ask? :?: Volksmarching is simply recreational walking. The path is predetermined, and usually 6 miles long (10k for you metric types), although many times there will be a shorter path of only three miles. The only object is to have fun, get in shape, meet like-minded folks and maybe see some parts of your state/province that you didn't know existed. Plus it's dog friendly and if you have a child, you can bring him along as well! You can check out this website: ava.org. :cool:
Gotta get up off my behind! Oh that I could look like Jasper and have his energy! That's my Doberman, and there's not a trace of fat on him. And you Doberman owners know that 'fatigue' is simply not in their dictionary! :D

WNYmom
01-03-2003, 03:56 PM
I am so surprised with some of the distances you walk. I only do about 1 mile a day for 3 days a week!!!!!!!! Time is limited and I try to get my walk in while my youngest is at school. I only did a 25 minutes walk yesterday but today I did 30 minutes. It felt good to get back on the treadmill. Yesterday when I went to log in my workout I realized I had only worked out twice the whole month of Dec!!!!!!!!! :yikes: I have also signed up to do the Make-A-Wish World Wide Workout at iFIT.com It will modivate me to possibly workout more than just 3 days a week.

SvelteChicky
01-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I"m a 1 miler myself... With my neighborhood, by the time you get back home, you feel like you've walked a marathon.. and I walk fast, cause I don't feel safe... but, I walk,a nd that's all that matters. For all the girls that walk mile after mile... that's so good for you... I'll get there, eventually... probably with a treadmill. Wishing and hoping and praying and begging....

Tricia
01-04-2003, 11:15 AM
I am reporting in, I did my treadin for the day, I like getting it over with, wish I could say I enjoyed it, I don't. I do it because WELL I have to:^: I figure with each day it will get easier, but not yet. I like the weight lifting and the stetching and yoga..but I know I need the treading too:moo: I went for a time limit which was 30 min origionally, then I liked the sound of 1.75 mile. I'm trying to keep it there. Although, I do weights everyother and I'm begining to think I might go for 1 mile on weight days. I was amazed at the people who where doing the 2 plus miles myself..OMGosh!! I throw in a jog at 4 and a run 5 for 1/4 ea. and ther IS NO WAY I could keep up that pace the whole time :yikes: I average 3.0 most of the time..well that's all I got time for today..time to face the children..Have a great Day..stay Strong..

SvelteChicky
01-04-2003, 06:07 PM
Where are you walking? And, sounds like you run? wow... what kid of diet are you on? Are you restricting youself, or are you eating what you want since you're exercising so much?

RubyBlue
01-04-2003, 11:53 PM
I think I may have the dreaded winter blues. Ever since I got this cold I've been feeling down and out. I've been forcing myself to get walking because it always makes me feel better. However the past couple of days I haven't got my body moving, I need to motivate myself and soon!

You all sound like you're off to a great start in 2003, great job! You're getting me all motivated. I average about 3.0 on the treadmill too, I usually stay there until I hit about 2 miles, some days less.
I think tomorrow I'll try driving to a new area to walk and jumpstart myself. Wish me luck!

SvelteChicky
01-05-2003, 08:49 AM
Good Luck Ruby, yu're odng the right thing, finding something to freshen up your exercise routine. Stay focused girl... it's okay to get the blues. we're all there with ya.

Tricia
01-05-2003, 09:25 AM
I am walking on my treadmill, or do you mean my speed?..Believe me that 4 and 5 speed...doesn't last..:stress: I do it just to jazz it up and speed it up.My treadmill shows a 1/4 mile track and when I kick it up it's only half that so 1/8th that I try to do it 3 times a walk. I hopes my motiabolizism will get fooled and jump start. I have cut back on my eatting, and eat off of a small plate, I am buying healthy foods and getting the veggies and fruits:cb: I have a hypothyroid, and am desperate to get this weight off, but it will be slow going because of it. However, I am determined..Ruby...:drill: Let's go, you can do it and you will feel better once you do...(that is if you are over your cold):( You came here so you are almost there..just take it one day at a time, and one minute at a time just get on it tell yourself I can get off of here if I want...after 5 minutes..reevaluate..a little bit at a time:flow2: Svelte's - it only sounds like a lot really..that's what I keep telling myself:dz: No really, I love yoga and the stretching so that doesn't feel like work, the weights well that's so when I stop waving:wave: the bottom part of my arm does too..lol..Well until tomorrow..oh I'm taking Sundays off except for my yoga..got to keep the joints oiled ;-)..

KittyMilk
01-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Been walking every day usually for 50mins-1 hour. Don't go that fast because of the dogs, Been getting up early and getting a walk in before the rest of the day, otherwize it gets too hot, or I'm too busy/ lazy whatever. Sets me up for the rest of the day if I walk first up.

Tricia
01-06-2003, 09:15 AM
Good Morning, Well it's getting easier, not the work, but the inititive to get up and do it..:dance: I start back to work today and my kids start back to school...I work at the school in the cafeteria..:cookie: Makes it difficult to stay away from the foods I don't need..I'm taking my water and , not staying for lunch, I'll just come home to a nice salad..Keeping my eyes on the finish line. Kitty- I would love to live some where warm about right now..we just keep getting snow..and I don't tolerate cold very well..even though I was born and raised here..I lived in NC for a short while and I think I'd like that..not too cold..in the winter..Well I must scoot ..Have a great day..

SvelteChicky
01-06-2003, 10:25 AM
We're covered in snow here too. What a mess. Slippery as ever. and hard to walk in. I'd love to see Australia,... sounds beautiful.. i watch shows on travel sometimes, and australia looks wonderful. it's all city around here. congestion,. people hurling profanity.. regular yankee anger.

Hoping I can take a walk I'll try to get that walk in, with some good strong boots. I need the exercise cause when the schools close, my aerobics class gets cancelled. You know, i'd volunteer to open up the school, in case the janitors can't make it. that's how determined I am to have it. Ugh!

WNYmom
01-06-2003, 11:05 AM
That's why I LOVE my treadmill!!! I can walk whenever I want. No worry about what the weather is or what time of day. Don't have to worry about traffic, strangers or dangers!!!;)

melekalikimaka
01-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Chris (svelte chicky)...if I could pack up my treadmill and ship it to you, I would. I have my sister's treadmill in the living room downstairs and mine is just sitting out in the garage collecting dust. These days I just go walking outside in the evening on weekdays and do the mornings on weekends. It helps to have a large, not too friendly looking dog when walking outside though, even if he is kinda rotten.

I feel for you ladies living in the cold parts of the country. I only remember living here in Hawaii--temperature doesn't fluctuate more than 20 degrees up or down at most and it only snows on the mountaintops on the other islands. I really have no excuse not to go out and walk except when it rains hard and is really windy--even that happens only a couple of days at a time and maybe only 2-3 times per year.

How 'bout mall walking? I know some of the malls on the mainland are huge and indoors so you could probably get some major mileage there without worrying too much about weather.

WNYmom
01-06-2003, 02:47 PM
How 'bout mall walking? I know some of the malls on the mainland are huge and indoors so you could probably get some major mileage there without worrying too much about weather.

Or your local school. I just got a notice from my son's school that they are gonna start a walking program. Most malls have the program before stores open but the one at my son's school runs from 6-9PM. They are gonna see what kind of a responce they get and if there are enough parents that want to join but need some form of child care they will contact the Child Development class and see if any kids want to come in to supervise the kids while the parents walk. The CD students would earn credits for working with the younger kids and the parents would probably just have to pay a small fee to accomodate any moneys spent on craft things. I personally think this is a GREAT idea.

SvelteChicky
01-06-2003, 04:24 PM
Hmmm... good ideas. the mall is a jaunt from my house, but it's worth it, to feel a part of the world again. Maybe me and hubby can go out sometime this week,a nd do the lenght of the mall and back. I just need the motivation. Thing is, about school sponsored stuff, when the schools' close for snow, all activitres from the school, or afiliated with the school gets cancelled. Such as today. I'm angry cause my clas is cancelled and I reall y need it.

Beybran
01-07-2003, 02:42 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the board, and wanted to say hello.... I have been walking quite a bit before the holidays... and then I hurt my knee .. but I have started back.... I have am so pumped about walking, that it isn't even funny.... I am going to walk and walk some more...
Just thought I would say hello.. to everyone

HAPPY WALKING!!!!:D

Heath

Tricia
01-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Pooh..I had this all done and I hit a button and I don't know what happened I lost every thing:?: :wave: Heath glad you could join us. Svelte's - You must be one determined girl to still want to get out there and walk, when they've closed the schools for snow..I am a big :bb: when it comes to getting out in it. Have you thought about a work out tape or and alternative means of exercise when you can't get out? I really like my yoga and I also like kick boxing too. Although I haven't done a lot of the kick boxing lately because I use my tread..but it adds varity and you don't have to get out there when it's yucky out. WNYmom- you must have a really neat school to be doing something like that, out school gets a little confused with the things it already has..:headache: But that is really neat. melekalikimaka- I sooo envy you:yes: I'd that would be so nice. Well I must go feed the children:chef: :yikes: have a great day..

SvelteChicky
01-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Love your emoticons..

I may sound motivated, but I slip and slide myself into depression. I've been feeling funky lately, and trying to change my routine and attitude, to live through the winter blues. Hubby and I made a plan to maybe go to another town, and walk near the water, wit hte dog, if I have no appnts in the mornings. Also, Thinking serously about mall walking. Sounds like fun, being in the crowd,and seeing stuff on sale... new things. Being somewhere, besides home. I do have some workout tapes, but they're VHS, and that's in the bedrom. Not enough room to really jump around like I"d like. The DVD player is in the basement, so I need to just get out erhe,a nd buy myself a nice pilates tape or something.. dvd. I say a lot, but i need to actually do these things. Trying to think of ways to motivate myself, cause my new job is different, scheudle wise. Not used to having all morning free. Makes me sleep in and get depressed. So, changing a few tihngs oughta get me better.

TonyaLyn
01-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Hi guys!

I was reading your posts, and really enjoyed them! I am being to walk again consistantly. I have a treadmill in my bedroom, and a TV mounted on the ceiling, so I have no excuses! I live in Wisconsin with my DH and two great kids. We also have a lab and Irish Setter, so walking fast outside is always an option!

I hope to get to know all of you. I walked 30 minutes today at work, it is a balmy 43 degrees here. I am also following the WW plan and hope to lose 30 pounds by summer (I was at lifetime a year ago, bad eating year....)

Anyway, good luck with your walks today, and congrats to all of you losing the weight and getting fit! :D

SvelteChicky
01-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Hey Ladies! Sounds like we're recruiting some great people to walk with us into the new year! I lvoe that commercial where the couple plants their TV on the celing, always tihnk how cool that would be. Looking at the celing, what a novel idea! I never usually do that, but it would eleviate my back problems i'm sure.

Did great today, and gearing up for a cleansing day of veggies and fruit. Hoping I have aerobics tomorrow night. and wakling my butt off every singel day. That's gotta count for something right? Still one mile, although sometimes I grab my bike and bike the mile twice again. Looking forward to better weather too. ick, it's bitter cold here. 29 degrees.

Starting: 210
Current: 158
Goal: 150 -- so close!

VanGogh
01-07-2003, 09:17 PM
and I'd like to join! I HATE excercising, but I'm going to do it this time (loose weight that is) and I know I have to excercise to make that goal a reality. So I guess I'm here, I'm motivated and I willing to offer support to others... Let's walk!

RubyBlue
01-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Hi and welcome to all the newbies!
Thanks for everyone's motivation, I'm doing better and am slowly getting back on track. It's actually in the 50s here today so I'm taking a long walk with the dog. I've got the walking back into shape lately, now I need to work on the food things and try to eat a little less. Well slow and steady wins the race, so I have to be patient.
Everyone sounds like they're doing great, it keeps me positive to read about all the walking thats going on! keep it up :)..I will too

WNYmom
01-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Well, I got in 25 minutes on Monday and then 35 minutes today.
I am so close to that 30lb mark that I can taste it!!!!!!! Hopefully I will have reached it by weeks end!!!!

melekalikimaka
01-09-2003, 02:07 AM
Go WNYmom Go! You'll reach that 30 lb mark for sure.

RubyBlue: My kind of town, Chicago is... Love to visit your town soon. I like 50 degree weather to walk in. Makes me walk faster. I just got back from Vegas and it averaged 55 and it was just perfect for walking--barely even broke a sweat. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Everyone else doing ok? 2003 promises to be a good year for all of us. Let's just go out and do it!
I got in 3.39 miles today (56 minutes) and I'm feeling kind of tired but a good kind of tired. well, that's all for now. I'll check back w/y'all tomorrow.

Tricia
01-09-2003, 08:58 AM
Hi guys, I missed my walk yesterday, and I had a real problem dealing with it:spin: mixed emotions..I chose Sundays as my days off except for my yoga..love that..now I'm contemplating wed..yesterday was an accident well busy, busy..Maybe I'll just take it each week one at a time. However, I did do my walkin today..4.5 incline 3.3 speed 1.5 miles. And I have to say it felt good..I've been feeling really good I have to say:flow1: I didn't lose this week infact I gained 1.5 lbs.:?: but I'm not going to let it get me down..a friend told me it's from workin out and my muscles are probably swollen to give it 3 weeks..Ok..I'll go for that. Does any one else out there watch Dr. Phil? I don't catch it every day..but the day he did new years resolutions I did . And something he said struck me..He saidWhen it comes to weight you can only control what you do, your environment and your eating, but you can't control how your body reacts to it. So when making goals they should be about what you have control of not pounds. That really helped me put it all in perspective..he was so right..And so here I am rambling on..Till tomorrow..have a great day.. Oh VanGogh..I'm with ya on the hating to exercise BUT..it's good for us..:D Don't ya know..it has only been a week for me..but I feel so much better my moods have lifted tremendously..so fight it..and do it..and you won't regret it..

SvelteChicky
01-09-2003, 08:59 AM
Love having newbies drop in!! Love the different avators too, they're awesome! I've finally bought the Pilates DVD,a nd i'm ready to start toning up! Even had aerobics yesterday, after waiting all December to start back up. Sweat like I was on fire.. which I"m glad about, get my money's worth (ha ha)... It's bitter cold, and slick outside, so i'm realying on Dvd and class to get me by until I can feel more confident abot walking again. Thank God for standby plans. Can't stop exercising, body loves it,a nd i'm motivated again. Get me while i'm hot. Can't wait for Spring, cause i'm gonna bike my heart out. Not to cheat on the walkers, but i need some variation.. dont' kick me outta this thread!! Love you girls, and love the support I get from you. Noelle's (hawaii girl) a great cheerleader. A little bird told me.

WNY Mom: You are so good! Keep it up, and we'll all be on the beach, strutting our stuff. if no the beach, I'm willing to start a streak!! (did I say that?!)

WNYmom
01-09-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by SvelteChicky

WNY Mom: You are so good! Keep it up, and we'll all be on the beach, strutting our stuff. if no the beach, I'm willing to start a streak!! (did I say that?!)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yes the beach is in the forcast for this summer. We go to the beach for a week every summer!!!!!!!!! It would be great to be able to not look like a beached whale when we go this summer!

I just wish I could get past this 180 mark!!!!!! I have been hanging out there for way to long. I wanted to drop 15lbs by V-Day but not it doesn't look good unless things start to happen really quickly!!!!!!!!! I have been in the 180-181 range for over 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!

VanGogh
01-09-2003, 11:09 PM
My first check in with the group! My husband and I are taking turns on the tread mill - every other night and swing dance on Wednesdays. (too cold in WI to commit to walking out doors right now!) So this was my first 'walk night' since joining, but my fourth night walking since my personal commitment. I'm currently at about 40 minutes and a steady pace of 3.0 - a comfortable and more importantly, a long term commitable pace for me. I can't believe I'm getting pumped about excercise!

Sounds like everyone else is on track too! For those of you who are feeling frustrated - don't give up, remember it's not the scale that counts most, it's how much better you feel. Keep at it walkers - we're gonna look great this summer!

First weight in back on WW this Saturday morning - wish me luck!

SvelteChicky
01-10-2003, 08:46 AM
Good luck on your weigh-in. May be good news! You sound motivated, and swing dancing is quite an activity.. sweating at the thought.

Can't believe the weather yesterdayt, unseasonably warm. Had to break out my bike, even got hubby onto his!! That was awesome! We biked, maybe 2 miles, it ws like 58 degrees out here, and the sun ws out... madem e pine for Spring. Of corse, we're back in the 30's today. But we were able to feel that wind in the face, then I took doggie out, and walked the same route. Doing it during the day is so great, cause the rest of hte day I can feel good that I got it done. I like it, overall, but sometimes I feel so tired midday... taht blood sugar thing probably I hear about. But felt realyl exhilirating... and time with hubby is golden to me. Quit the cleansing day, by lunch I was dying for peanut butter. Had dfrosted cabbage soup from last week. Made a vat of the stuff. Isn't the same consistency, kinda stringy.. zuchinni looks different.. turned me off. So, I"m not gonna do that anymore. Makes me dream of protein and milk all day. I'm better moderating, and not restricting. It worked for a day, now i'm over it.

melekalikimaka
01-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Got in my 6th consecutive day of walking yesterday. Lacing up my shoes as we speak to shoot for 7.

Hope everyone out there has a happy, healthy and wonderful day.

Aloha!

SvelteChicky
01-11-2003, 12:33 PM
I love that sparkle you're having lately. you are doing so good.. huff and puff, we'll all still be here, lovin ya the whole way... keep it up... walk walk walk

VanGogh
01-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Hello everyone - didn't get a chance to check in after 'walk night' last night. Crazy day, my daughter's birthday party and home improvement projects kept me busy.

Started off my day with a 6.6 lb loss at my first WW weigh in. Yeah! That kept me very motivated to choose wisely at my daughter's birthday party and stay with in my points. It also got me on the tread mill last night. So far so good. I really appreciate being able to check in here and just say, "Hey look, I'm still doing this, just need someone to know."

I really envy Red Hot though, the sky is so dull and dreary here in WI and it's so cold, a little Hawaiian sunshine would certainly lift my spirits! Wish I could be walking with you! I think I'll try thinking about walking in Hawaii on my next turn on the tread mill. Maybe that will motivate me into a new bikini! (That mental image is very scary right now! LOL)

WNYmom - don't give up! Been there done that, unfortunately I gave up and I've regreted it for 7 years. You'll get past that plateau, I know it's frustrating and it may take a little more time, but you will. Hang in there, we're all with you!

Well that's all for now. Keep walking ladies, it's new bikinis by summer! (Ok, so more like a tankini or something a little more modest, at least it'll be smaller!)

melekalikimaka
01-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Way to go VanGogh! 6.6 lbs is totally awesome. Keep it up. Yup, that sun sure feels good. On my next walk I will think about how cold it is in other parts of the country when I am feeling grumpy by it's glaring brightness in my eyes. :flow2: Here's sending some Hawaiian sunshine your way.

Hope everyone has a terrific day. Walk, walk, walk.

WNYmom
01-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Well, I got past my slump but not how I would have wanted to. I have been sick with an awful sore throat for the past 3 days. It just kills me to eat anything so I have been surviving on coffee, tea, a can of cream of mushroom soup and scrambled eggs. I have dropped 3 lbs since Thurs. I am gonna call the Dr in the AM cuz I suspect I might have strep throat. I have no fever or signs of a cold. Just this awful sore throat that has me in tears now & then and my ears also ach. I will yawn the they will pop. I don't really feel the pressure till it is released. I have been taking double doses of Motrin and using throat spray along with sucking on hard candies to keep my throat lubricated. I really planned on working out a few extra times this week but not when I am so sick. Keep up the good work everyone and pray I am feeling better soon. I cant' take much more of this.

SvelteChicky
01-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Oh honey, i feel your pain, huby's been exaclty like you since Thursday. Played nurse wife all weekend. I feel like i 'm getting it now, which sucks, casue i don't wanna miss work. Man, you're so descriptive, I can picture you grabbing your throat every time you swallow. Prayers taht you survive this, and feel better asap!

justjane
01-13-2003, 12:37 AM
May I walk with y'all? It worked for me before...I lost over 40 pounds year before last...then slacked off and gained almost all of it back last year. I can't stand looking so frumpy! I'm back in size 14's after cleaning them out of my closet...I was actually wearing a few size 10's for a couple of months there!

Walking daily, counting calories, drinking lots of water, and more than anything...giving and receiving daily support were very much the keys before. I'm counting on it to work again! I've also joined Curves this time--hopefully to add some strength training and body reshaping to the formula. I absolutely hate aerobics and I always feel so stupid at a regular gym where it looks like everyone knows exactly what to do but me....

Walked a little over an hour tonight! Yay me! Now if only I wasn't so hungry all the time....

Good to be here,
Jane

DawnStorm
01-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by justjane
I absolutely hate aerobics and I always feel so stupid at a regular gym where it looks like everyone knows exactly what to do but me....

Good to be here,
Jane

I heard that!

My attempts at aerobics always remind me of a Benny Hill episode in which he's soldier that cannot keep up with the others in a marching drill.

JaZvIneZ
01-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Oh my gosh! I have been out of the loop since Christmas Day! Sick, family in town... excuses! I hope that I haven't lost all that I have worked so hard at for the two months prior. Heading back out after work - think I will start back at four miles, hopefully I can do it. I did get a Pilates DVD (beginners) for Christmas... plan on doing that three days a week. I really would like to see results in six or eight weeks... I plan to drink enough water...but, does anyone think that it will require dieting as well? I will watch it... but... diet?? I am not sure I can do four things at the same time... well I see a lot of new people to the board... Welcome!

SvelteChicky
01-13-2003, 06:03 PM
HI everyone, glad we're gaining steam with the suport. I've also got a pilates dvd, although i'm waiting fro the snow to come, so I can use it. I actually love aerobics, and attend a class mon/wed of each week. finally got back in, after breaking for Christmas. I enjoy the company,a nd the music keep s me excited. just have to learn the routines, which can be frustrating. I've been to that curves gym once, and felt clostrophobic. I've purchased the thigh master, cause my thighs are flabby, even after losing so much weight. So, i'm trying new things. I've not dieted, per se. I've eaten better, but eaten what I want. I'm not aprt of a certain plan, just eat fat free dressings, eat fat free hot fudge sundaes. find whatever i want, but with as little fat as possible, eat lots of veggies.... try to get my water in. but, it's the exervcise that keeps me losing. i'm sure if i dieted, strictly,a nd exercised i'd lose faster,a nd tone up faster too. but i'm stubborn, and i wanna eat and exercise too... it's all on what you wanna do, and how fast you wanna do it.

Tricia
01-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Hey I'm here, I've been doing my walking and my weights, but have been very busy lately to report. I have been at this for two weeks and am a little frustrated:mad: as the scale hasn't moved. I don't know what to think, of course I am fighting that hypothyroid thing..but at least a lb would be nice. I'm glad to hear you all are doing so well:cp: Well I need to get off here..I guess I've hit the bumville road:snail: but I won't give up.

SvelteChicky
01-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Ugh, skipped my walk, actually, was gonna do a pilates dvd, but got wrapped up in a package i'd received... love packages. long day at work, and wishing i'd get a regular schedule again. in time i guess. ate okay, and stayed moving, so that's good for my body. just need to get enough sleep now. used to be, too much, now not enough. i'm a mess sometimes.

justjane
01-14-2003, 10:22 PM
Did anyone walk today? I just finished my 1.4 miles. That's twice around the block. That's all my family will let me walk after dark :)

What kind of work do you, Svelte? I thought I'd sleep better now that I've started exercising regularly again...but I'm up 2 or 3 times a night. Just can't get comfortable. And don't get me started on the snoring. I'm selfishly looking forward to the next few weeks when my DH will be working straight nights on a turnaround and I won't have to listen to the buzzsaw inches from my head. I do love him, I do, I do :love:

Tricia, never fear...you'll get off the plateau soon! Just keep pluggin' in there... one foot in front of the other ...

Got to go update the journal...

g'night,
Jane

melekalikimaka
01-15-2003, 03:43 AM
Hey Jane~~ bravo on getting that walk in. I did my usual route today too which takes me anywhere from 55 min. to an 1hr 5 min. My sister and I take the dog out with us to give him a little exercise and he's like a deterrent to any would-be attackers :lol: . He's black lab/rottweiler mix. Not too friendly looking. I'm trying to shoot for 5 days straight this week.
**that's a great picture of you by the way.

Tricia, try drinking as much water as you can hold in a day. I find that this works wonders for me even if I don't exercise as much--lbs kind of "wash away" (oh if only it were that simple!) . You're doing good, just keep at it.

Chris, you're doing great. Just watching what you eat will keep you on the right track even if you don't exercise every single day. Once your life gets into a routine w/work and everything, you'll do better than ever. Go get that goal girlie!

Everyone else still burning up the pavement or treadmills? Hope so. Forward march to a healthier us!

WNYmom
01-15-2003, 07:26 AM
I have been sick since last Thurs so not doing my walks. I went to the Dr. on Monday and I have strep throat. Started takem meds and now I am feeling better. Hope to get back on track today!

Tricia
01-15-2003, 09:26 AM
Good morning, I didn't treadmill today, but I did do my ball video that was fun, very different..but I liked it..I hadn't done that before. I am trying on the water I get about 64 oz. in, but I know I need to drink more as years ago I remember running to pee:o at least every 2 hours and at present maybe 3 xs a day. so I got room. I did measure though and have lost inches...everywhere but my thighs hum..:mad: Although you'd think my clothes would feel different, but I'll keep on truckin..Speaking of which I must go:chef:

163/163/130
:( WNY- hope you feel better soon..I'll pray for ya..
Have a Great Day guys..I got to run..

smileybug38618
01-16-2003, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone
I would love to join in and walk/talk with all of you. I am at a current weight of 197 and I am aiming towards 145. Any other diet tips please share.:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: I hope everyone does well and good luck.

melekalikimaka
01-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Welcome Smileybug. Glad you could join us. I am at about the same weight as you are and am aiming for about the same target goal. Walking is my main source of exercise since it's easy to do and is free. As far as diet, I'm just cutting my calorie intake by watching the fats and sweets...portion control, etc. Nothing to the extreme of low carbing or proteins only. Seems to be working so far since I'm down 23 lbs. Tell us a little about yourself. We're all here to cheer each other on.

justjane
01-17-2003, 12:35 AM
Welcome, Smileybug! I'm also in a very similar boat as you...started out at 185....currently at 182...and my target is 145, too. This worked for me before...counting calories and walking for exercise and drinking plenty of water helped me lose a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I slacked off of all that and gained almost all of it back. So, here I am again! I'm new here too and I'm looking for new friends to walk with.

I walked tonight...despite the cold! I'm in Louisiana and it's in the 30's tonight..with windchill in the teens right now. The wind was a whippin'! But I managed to log in 1.7 miles in 30 minutes. [pats herself on the back]

So, did you walk today, anyone? Plan a walk tomorrow?

gotta go journal and record my food

g'night,
jane

melekalikimaka
01-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Hey Jane, that's great that you braved the cold. It was a little chilly here too (high 60's :^: ) ... for me anyway, but we (my sister and I) kept up the pace and broke a little sweat. I love it that these walks are getting easier. I guess I need to change routes...make it more challenging. Speaking of which, we always take the dog with us. Today there were 3 feral dogs in a vacant lot which we always walk past. They all jumped up at once when we came around the corner. We had to throw rocks and keep yelling at them to keep them at bay. They didn't get too close to us since we were being agressive but they did advance a couple of times. I called the humane society when I got home to see if they could round them up and take them in.

WNYmom, feeling much better? I hope so.

Tricia, what kind of exercises do you do with the ball? I've seen 'em before but not really being used. That sounds interesting.

JaZvIneZ have things settled down for you yet? It's always nice to get back into some sort of routine with eating right and exercising. Always a little hard to start up, but once you get into the groove it's great.

Everyone else, where are you hiding? Hope everyone is busy walking or at doing a lot of moving around. Hope to hear from you.

smileybug38618
01-17-2003, 06:13 AM
Thanks!!! I did not get to walk last night but I did do some step aerobics and drank some (not enough) water. And :moo: I ate some pep. pizza. I would not have but my husband wanted pizza, so. I have been drinking water and counting calories, for about two weeks now. It seems like once I start counting calories I cant stop. I hope this is normal. Everytime I look at a drink, a snack, a dinner I check out all the calories. I hope everyone is tough today:drill: well me for sure. Talk later. Keep up the good work!!

SvelteChicky
01-17-2003, 08:31 AM
Hi JustJane, Smileybug.... Noelle. hey Tricia, WNY... I feel like slug, after reading all the lively discussion. I just can't get here like I usd to. I used to be on at work, and just laugh at all our posts to each other. now i'm lucky to get on once a day.

Justjane: I'm a juvenile delinquent Counselor. I work with kids 15-21. I have 18 kids right now, and half of them I have to stand up in court with. That's scary. But the judge is very laidback. I get frustrated, because my job is to spend time with the kids, and it has often left me working late evenings, and even suggested I take the kids out together, on the weekends. Give me a break. Thi is a job, not my life. So, I"m trying to find a normal routine to see my kids each week. Frustrating. Also started a Scrapbooking Business early Jan. Trying to get taht off the ground is another hurdle for me.

I did take my walk yesterday, right before the snow started falling. Doesn't look lik emuch now, but when it's faling it feels like a storm. Schools are delayed this morning. They're chicken wihtt hose buses. Can't blame 'em. Well, gotta check my planner, see what's in strore for me now! See you ladies later.... walk if you can!

DawnStorm
01-17-2003, 09:39 AM
If you don't have a dog, ask a dog-owning neighbor if you can walk his dog. I did this all during my childhood because my parents didn't want the responsibilty that goes along with owning a dog. I have my own now--of course--and I feel safe with them. No, they're not vicious, but I've no doubt that they'd protect me if they had to. Doesn't matter what size dog either--I've always found that the size of the dog is inversely proportinate to their fierocity. I've also found that a lot of people are outright afraid of dogs--I've seen passers-by shy away from the Bichon in my dog group. :rolleyes: Try it! I know when I was a kid, the neighbors appreciated me walking their dogs, and the dog(s) associate me with good times. :)

melekalikimaka
01-17-2003, 11:20 AM
DawnStorm, that's a great idea! Although my sister's dog is great protection, it's a job to walk him because he gets very aggressive whenever he sees any other dog. It's always a workout just holding on to his leash. Believe me, we've tried obedience training and sessions with an animal behavioralist. The problem only got minimially better. I'd really rather leave him at home and let him run freely in our backyard. I think I'm going to start asking around my neighborhood if anyone has a nice dog i can walk that will actually heel and can walk past another dog and be happy instead of go nuts. :lol:

SvelteChicky
01-17-2003, 01:57 PM
GOOD IDEA! never thought of walkig aneighbors dog,a nd gives you a chance to form that relationsihp we rarely get to have nowadays. Wish everyone was issued a porch swing and a big porch when one gets a home, that way we could get together like yester year. Wish we lived in a more friendly neighborhood. It's every man to himself. But now and then I see dogs getting walked. I cn't imagine my dog not getting a walk. She'd probably crap everywhere, and gain weight like crazy. it's my gift to her. And she's my gift. She reinds me when i'm thouthless.

justjane
01-17-2003, 02:48 PM
Yes, I thought about it, especially in these dangerous times... but like svelte says, I don't really know my neighbors well enough to ask them to borrow their dog! My direct neighbors have a dog, but she is so psycho that I'm afraid she'd turn on *me* when I'm out walking with her if she got scared. I think she must have been abused, because she is a whole different, scary, animal when her owners aren't around. I have no idea what she'd do if she encountered another dog on a walk! The lady across the street has a cocker spaniel, but they tend to be pretty excitable too, do they not? I'll have to canvass the neighborhood for likely companion pooches. Thanks for the suggestion, dawnstorm.

How much snow did y'all get, svelte? We're supposed to get down in the low 20's tonight. I won't make it to Curves by close of business tonight, so I'll have to choose between staying in my nice warm house and watching a video, or braving the cold and going for a walk....talk me into it, pleeeeeaaaaseeee! :)

Tricia
01-17-2003, 03:26 PM
Here I am, :dizzy: I have been doing my walking 1 and a half miles in 30min. at 7 incline..I'm feeling good I actually can't go through a day and not exercise in some way..I never thought I'd feel that way:strong: not in a million years. melekalikimaka- the ball it was a lot of fun and seemingly painless...:devil: you sit on it and the balance alone helps but you walk down to the small of you back and do crunches, you can put it between you and the wall and do squats there's actually a lot. I got the ball at walmart and then later found a video by Kathy Smith. I was sore the next day and yet I didn't think it was anything doing it, in fact I wasn't sure I would do it again because it seemed too easy:lol: As you can see I was wrong. Well my children are home from school I must go..till next time

SvelteChicky
01-17-2003, 08:18 PM
I always suggest going for that walk, cause the fresh air tends to get me singing,a nd I feel better for it in the long run. Just got back from my walk. thouth I"d do the pilates video, again, skippe dit. i'm gonna get my aerobics friend to come over on monday, since clas is cancelled, and have her do it with me. better motivation when you're with someone. better accountability too. she's been in the classes with me since Sept, so we keep track of each other. she's my hubby's cousin, and we're watching each other.

We got about 3 inches, more like a dusting really. Took the walk, bundled up big time, biter cold out there. It's powdery snow though. Althought he sdirvers probably packe dit down pretty good. Freezing cold I tell ya. I still have cold rosy cheeks as I type here. Good for me and the dog to get some brisk air in us.

That ball soudns really good, My chiropractor has one of them, helps the back, stretches the spine, and makes you work harder with crunches. I'll try pilates, i'm afraid of too many props. i'm still waiting for the thigh master to get here UPS. I'll try anything once. Or twice. But taht ball sounds great for joints too. I'm big on helping your joints stay strong. that way as you age, you're not so weak, and your back tends not to hunch. My grandmother is bent half way over. She is in bad shape makes me look at myself, and try to change that for me in the future. ok i'm rambling now....

WNYmom
01-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Well, it was late but I did get my walk in for today! I normally drop my younger son off at preschool then come home and have lunch then do my walk then back to pick my son up but today I went and did some shoping instead. I also stopped at BK and picked up a Chicken Whopper Jr. with no mayo and a side salad with low fat italian dressing. Didn't use the croutons and also didn't use all the dressing. Used about half on the salad and about 1/4 on the Chicken Whopper. I ate that in the car then finished my shopping.
I really like having the treadmill cuz then I can do my walking when it fits in my schedule and not have to worry about weather, darkenss or if the gym is busy or even open for that matter.:cp:

justjane
01-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Well, I braved the elements! Bundled up in a turtleneck, sweatshirt, fleet jacket and fleece vest + head band, scarf and gloves...walked 1 block and then actually had to take a layer off cuz I was too hot!

Did 2 miles altogether in about 35 mins. I feel...victorious! for conquering the elements.

Now I'm enjoying a good movie and a small glass of red wine :)

y'all have a good evening

Tricia
01-18-2003, 09:39 AM
Good Morning thought I'd write before it got too busy. I decided to for go the walking today as I am taking my Girl Scouts ice skating and then to the holidome for some swimming so I figured..that should do it:s: or do me in:yikes: I couldn't help myself I weighed today wasn't suppose to till Wed .but I'm a loser :dancer: -3 lbs..finally..I couldn't believe it and actually have went back twice to make sure I was seeing what I thought I saw..I feel good ..well I got to go pack ..pray for me...I have only ice skated once in my whole life and I was 16 at the time..so ...:joker: it'll be interesting..

SvelteChicky
01-18-2003, 04:51 PM
Hope she's not in an Er somewhere. I'm scared stif fto ice scate. Hard enough walking in snow, let alone balancing on a blade on ice... more power to those who are braver than I. Great news taht you're down 3 lbs. That's a start. And you'll start to feel better and better wiht walking. Good!!

I have been laying around today, since going to the scrapbooking workshop. Feeling nostalgic, wiht pictues of my grandmother, who has alzheimers. She a sweet soul. Hope she lives froever.. though I'm not in denial. she's 89.

Hubby and I are finally feeling a hundred percent again. Cold about kicked his butt, and started in on me. I deflected it with meds. I get over stuff faster than him. But it's good not to see him suffering with that aweful stuffy nose and cough.

Well, it's freezing cold,a nd i've vowed, for probably 2 wks now, to do that Pilates dvd. here I go.........

WNYmom
01-18-2003, 04:57 PM
I know this is off topic but can I ask that you pray for a friend of mine from another board. Her DH is in the hospital on life support. He collapsed the other day and they found a brain tumor. There is no hope so it is just a waiting game for them to OK the removal of all support. There was no waring to this so quite shocking. He will leave behind his wife and 2 young girls ages 9 and 3. Pray that DonnaLeigh has strength to endure this horrible time. :cry:

SvelteChicky
01-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Ohmigosh. What an aweful situation. I can't imagine, But i'll pray right here, right now.

Dear Lord, I want to thank you first for WNYmom, who took the initiative to make us aware of this aweful situation for DonnaLeigh. I know that You are higher than us,a nd You know what we can handle. You are the author of our Faith, and You can give us what we need to get through times we never imagined we'd live through. I ask you, and stand with all the laides here who belive in You, for two things, Power to heal, and do a miracle in his body. And, if you find it your will to breing him home, Strength for the family to Heal from this loss,a nd Celebrate his life. I pray that many, many will come to you, from this, and that You will be glorified. We believe you can do all things.

Amen.

melekalikimaka
01-19-2003, 11:07 AM
WNYmom, my thoughts and prayers are going out to DonnaLeigh and family. The Lord works in mysterious ways but He always provides strength and comfort to those in need.

Chris that was a beautiful prayer.

justjane
01-19-2003, 02:25 PM
Amen. My heart goes out to everyone in the family...

WNYmom
01-19-2003, 04:40 PM
Thank you so much for that beautiful prayer. Patrick left us at 4:04AM Sunday morning. His family was around him and as far as I know they are donating many organs. DonnaLeigh is surrounded by her family and several friends along with her 2 daughters. She also has the thoughts and prayers of hundreds of friends from 2 message boards with members from around the globe.

SvelteChicky
01-19-2003, 06:20 PM
My eyes well up as I type, Hope God gives them all strength to get through today, and the grace ot getu p in the morning, and go on. Breath in and out, that's the plan of all of us here. Thank God for today. I pray that the family is able to bless someone else wiht his organs. There are many lives being daved because of their generosity. His heart will beat on. I always get a burden for families like that.

Tricia
01-22-2003, 09:42 AM
My prayers are with you. Unfortunately God's will is not always so easy for us to understand.:( As all this war talk starts coming to a head and I keep hearing of people I know being sent over I just keep praying that is all we have..Trust in God and it will be ok... I feel that way about everything I do. Even with my exercising I pray for him to heal me and strengthin me Mind, Body and Soul..God Bless, and pray for us all..

melekalikimaka
01-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Hey has anyone out there been walking or moving around for that matter? I know it's been freezing cold in some parts. I went for my normal walk yesterday and it was actually warmer than the past week's been (low 70's). I had to take it easy though as I was having some shin splints and some really achy pain right above my ankle. I even stretched before I left...hmmm, maybe that was my problem, I don't usually stretch beforehand. Anyway, bought some Flexall and it seems to be okay for now. I'll pop some ibuprofen before I go out again tonight. I did 6 consecutive days then 1 day of rest. Then 5 consecutive days with 2 days skipped, then 3 consecutive days. The 2nd day after I skipped the 2 days was the day I had trouble...how can you lose so much ground after missing just 2 days? Maybe I just need new shoes?

WNYmom
01-23-2003, 08:39 PM
I am lucky to have a treadmill right in my livingroom!!!! If not for that I would not be doing my walking!!!!!!!!!! The temp today was only around 4F with wind chills in the -15 to -20F range!!!!!!! Way to cold to be out walking!! Anyway I would have had to drag my almost 4 year old out as well. No way would I do that!!!!!!!
I did do a 30 minute workout with iFIT.com at level 2 but had to modify it. I just couldn't do the 5MPH run so did a 4MPH run for 1 minute then back down to a 3MPH walk for 3 minutes then back up to the 4MPH. Did this for 3 sessions during my 30 minutes. Felt good but I was beat!!!!!!!

justjane
01-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Hey, y'all! Well, I did try. Not as cold here as in some places (like NY--brrrrrr!) but it was, um, nippy. Temp 25 with wind chills in the teens. I bundled up but my face couldn't take it! I had a terrible headache from one time around the block. I wish I had a ski mask...but then the neighbors would probably be calling the police about some weirdo walking the neighborhood in a ski mask!

Also did 30 minutes at Curves. It was actually warm in there! Geez, it's supposed to be even colder tomorrow, and I won't make Curves by closing tomorrow. Guess I'll be getting up early on saturday!

Where's everyone else?

--jane

SvelteChicky
01-24-2003, 08:14 PM
HI, I'm here, just spend mroe time in my journal, venting. I walked today, after a few days of doing something else. Anything to stay indoors. It's freezing cold, not that it's news to you girls. I've done everything to sty warm. Hard to exercise when you know you gotta get all sweaty, then shower off. Sometimes just staying warm and toasty is more appealing. But i'm still getting my workouts. Cant wait for the weekend.

Tricia
01-25-2003, 08:42 AM
Hi guys, as it turned out I didn't ice skate, I chickened out..but regretted it later:eek: I opted to hang with the other leader. My daughter later tells me it's like roller blading. ..well shoot I can do that..oh well next time. I did my walking all week, it was hard to get back on it after taking the weekend off..but I missed it..I'm so confused:spin: Today I put a book on my treadmill, and before I even knew it I walked 2.5 miles..CAN YOU believe it..:hyper: I think I'll try that reading thing more often I worked up to 7 incline. I just got an invite to my 20th Class reunion:balloons: I didn't want to go, but I'm thinkin..that's my incentive..I just may go it's not until the end of summer..which gives me plenty of time..I'm with you WNY..I just shut my door and spend and hour that is all about ME:flow1: on the weekends the kids know don't knock on that door unless it is an emergency during Me time. The weight is finally budging..that is probably the most discouraging part how slow it is..I just tell myself that's hidden muscle building..Well til next time..have a great day..stay warm ..and safe..I tell you I have to give it to you people who brave the weather to do you walking..:bravo:
163/159/130 ish

Hey does anyone get involved with the superbowl ? My hubby and I never watch football but since the rest of the world is watching we pick teams and make little bets for the super bowl just for fun . Neither one knows about either team..this year I picked the Raiders..and does anyone have healthy snack ideas??:cbg:

justjane
01-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Happy Saturday, y'all!

Just finished a Curves workout and threw in 15 mins on the elliptical trainer and some bench presses to boot. I really have no upper body strength, it's quite sad. I've pretty much stayed inside the last couple of days cuz of the weather, but no excuses! I am probably going to walk this evening too.

Grocery shopping is main agenda today. Going to get some recipe ideas from 3fatchicks and make good choices! Of course, teenage daughters are adding things like potato chips and ice cream to the list even as we speak

My daughter is attending her friend's debutante ball this evening, and I'm elected to crimp her hair and help her get dressed. I wonder if I have film to take a pic (mentally adds to grocery list).

Tricia, ice skating is not quite as easy as blading...but it really depends on the quality of the rental skates I think. I did it alot as a kid, but as an adult it just *kills* my ankles. Plus, that ice is a LOT harder than it looks! Good for you on the treadmill! Makes me wish I had one--we have a stationary bike but I'm not sure I could read on it. and 20th yr reunion--ah, the pressure! I skipped mine, but only because it just didn't seem worth the travel from LA to Mich.

Anyone else walking or working?

have a productive day, everyone!
--Jane

SvelteChicky
01-25-2003, 05:31 PM
hello all! I walked today, froze my poor ears off, but worth the raised heart rate. Still battling headaches and sore throats. i think the weather is playing with all of us. Can't wait for Spring. I jsut feel better then. Always see pretty color swhen I walk. Winter is so desolate, and bitter. Seems I walk faster, jsut to get it over with. Haven't done my Pilates tape in a few days, but I'm seeing results in my body from doing ab work. I know I need to keep that up. Even walking, I can tell my body's shaping up. Gotta keep this up, cause it was hard as ever to get this weight off. Noticed a magazinea t Barnes and Noble today. So many, miracle pills out there, promising weight loss, wiht no exercise AT ALL.

Worries me, cause the only thing that helped me get healthy was exercise. I cheat more than I should, but the workouts, and the increased metabolism has saved me a lot of grief. Can't imagine how much money people dump into those pills. Although I started out on Ephedrine, and learned the hard way. it's not worth the chest pains, and palpitations. Not to mention the sweating... and jitters. Okay i'm rambling. Just checking in, and love to read the posts.

justjane
01-27-2003, 11:29 PM
Hey, Svelte...I'm walking with you out there! It's probably not quite as cold here, but last week was plenty nippy with temps down in the 20's. I'm trying to walk at least every day, and do a Curves workout the days I don't walk. Tonight I did both! but mainly cuz I got to Curves late and had an abbreviated workout. Doing okay on calories too. Overall a little depressed because the scale's not moving like I'd like it to... I am trying to keep in mind that it WILL happen and I just need to keep it up. It's just hard when the balance of EFFORT vs REWARD feels so out of whack...

Anyone else walking?? mele, how's the weather in Hawaii!! (we are all SO jealous!)

melekalikimaka
01-28-2003, 03:07 AM
Hey Jane, I did get my walk in this evening. It's been warming up again and it's been a little muggy (like LA in the heat of summer) but that's okay. We're expecting another cold front soon so it should start to rain a little to cool us off. It's easier to dry off from the rain than to warm up frozen noses and ears. I feel for you gals I really do. I was enjoying the cooler than normal temps the past few weeks and got a little uncomfortable at night when the temps went back to normal. I like to break a little sweat when I'm out, makes me feel like I really exerted myself :lol: .

Don't worry too much about the scale. Have you tried the measuring tape or your pants-o-meter? Maybe you're losing inches. I was interested in joining Curves but still haven't worked up the guts to go down and check it out...it's great that you do one or the other or even both. Just keep at it and yes the rewards will come.

On another note, do you participate in any of the Mardi Gras goings-ons in New Orleans? It's coming up soon and I would love to visit for Mardi Gras but I'm a little apprehensive about the infamous antics that go on just to get some beads or doubloons...that would definitely make me sweat :) . Sounds like a wild and crazy place to be though.

Tricia
01-28-2003, 07:33 PM
hi, I am still treadin, my hubby went to 2nd shift for a week or so, has really messed up my schedule:mad: I didn't think it would bother me so much to change from mornings to evenings, but I definitely like getting it done in the morning. JustJane, hang in there I too am seeing slow results:snail: but I just read that some people see weekly results and others it takes a couple of weeks. Many times too if you aren't eating enough it won't come off or if you are suddenly eating healthy, your body holds out to make sure you are going to keep feeding it. Before it will release. But it will happen..I refuse to give up and don't you either..we will all succeed together:grouphug: Oh, and melekalikimaka here you may need this:rain: you go girl. :bravo: take care guys

justjane
01-28-2003, 11:31 PM
Well, I took the night off tonight...falling asleep at the table while listening to the State of the Union (sorry, Mr. Bush! :yawn:)

Mele, as far as Mardi Gras goes...it is *every* bit as crazy as you see in the pictures. In fact, Bourbon Street on Mardi Gras day is quite a terrifying experience. You have no control over your own destiny--you are packed in and pretty much have to move with the crowd. You will see nearly every kind of public debauchery imaginable. Liquor and urine flow freely. Pretty appealing to the college age crowd, not so much for us ol' folks. My family and I usually head down for one big parade, Bacchus, which is Sat. the weekend before Fat Tuesday. There are dozens of parades in N.O. and surrounding area beginning on Jan. 6, which is the start of the season. N.O. parades are quite a sight, and something to experience, but it helps to have a native tell you how to get in and out and what to avoid so you're safe. We have a few parades in Baton Rouge that are no where near the scale of the N.O. parades, but they are plenty fun, and a whole lot more family-oriented. Besides, I have all the beads and other baubles to last me a lifetime, so I don't need to show nothin' to nobody :)

Tricia, thanks for the words of encouragement. Actually noted a small change on the scale this morning....at last! I know I'm not supposed to be so hung up about it, but it's so hard not to...

Curves and walking tomorrow! See y'all!

SvelteChicky
01-29-2003, 02:49 PM
Good snowy afternoon ladies. Not looking good out there, came home early, after a near death experience trying to get to an appnt on time. Not worth it I said. Home and warm now. Thinking my aerobics class will be cancelled. Walking outside is out of the question. So, I guess it's time to get out that Pilates tape again. Gotta keep exercising, or i'll get lazy again. Skipped it yesterday. Pray fro my aunt, she's still in this breast cancer thing... praying for strength.. although she's acting like she's fine.. it's us that are a mess.

Walk on, if you can.

DawnStorm
01-29-2003, 03:00 PM
I dunno, SC, walking in the snow is darn good exercise when there's a few inches on the ground. Makes me sweat like a w:censored: in church! Also makes me jealous of Jasper's long legs--he's a Doberman, and like all of his breed, he doesn't have a lick of fat on him! :lucky:

SvelteChicky
01-29-2003, 03:02 PM
We've got a layer of ice underneath, and as funny as me and my little terrier would look sliding past a neighbors house... i'll brave my basement and a video... wish we had the pretty powder stuff. it's deceiving out here, wiht the bottom layer of blackice.

DawnStorm
01-29-2003, 03:43 PM
ooh, black ice! Stay away from that stuff! Can't blame you for not getting out. Icy sidewalks are very musical--if you don't c sharp, you'll b flat. :lol:

melekalikimaka
01-30-2003, 01:10 AM
Very cute musical reference DawnStorm.

I went walking this evening with my 2 sisters and their 2 dogs. The little Jack Russell terrier (short-legged variety) came home with a belly covered with grime since it's been raining all day and it was really muddy out. No snow to speak of though :lol: .

Hope everyone stays safe through these bad weather spells. I'm enjoying the sunshine (not today though) and warmer temps for you all. :)

sun1shine1
01-30-2003, 10:45 AM
OOOOH!!!! I think i found a home!!! I've been trying to get back into walking after "wandering off the beaten path" I ran cross country in high school and was a size 4. Now i run my mouth only and am a size 14. :)

I have begun walking home from work. It's about a mile and a half, and i usually can make it in about 25 minutes. At first I thought i was going to die, but i just kept putting one foot in front of the other. I've made the trip 6 times now!!! And it gets a little easier each time. That's a total of 9 miles in a week!! If i start packing my lunch, then i could walk both ways. Right now i usually drive home for a quick bite to eat and have my fiance drive me back to work. Maybe i'll walk back from lunch today....

I can already tell a difference in my muscle tone and I have received compliments from my fiance about my progress. he's happy that I'm sticking with it. :dancer:

Does any one else out there have trouble with shin splits? I always have had trouble with them, and they are really bad right now as i'm trying to get back into shape. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know

Ashley

167/162/125

melekalikimaka
01-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Welcome Ashley, glad you could join us. I walk daily too but usually in the evenings with my husband or sister. I get shin splints every now and then, mostly when I take more than a day off then try to start up again. I recently started to stretch out more before going and if I can feel the ache in my shins before I even start, I put some Flexall or Ben-Gay type of gel on it. I think the stretching helps a lot. I sometimes take some ibuprofen before I go since I've been told by my Dr. that it also works as a muscle relaxant. These remedies work for me so far. I hate anything that slows me down when I'm so motivated to move! Good luck and keep walking. :)

sun1shine1
01-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Thanks. I'm gonna try the ibuprofen and more stretches. I walked back to work from lunch and had pains at the half mile, one mile, and 1.25 mile marks. Usually it'll subside while i'm walking, but it keeps flaring back up. Hopefully once i get some new shoes and put some more miles behind me, they won't bother me anymore.

The best thing that i've found thus far to keep me motivated is to put a little sticker on my calendar each day that i do something considered exercise: sit-ups, walking, jumping jacks, stretching, etc. When i walk both to and from work, i get 2 stickers. Just about anything counts, but it helps me to see that i can stick to something. In all of January there are 4 days without stickers. That's not too bad considering what my previous activity level was.

Ashley

melekalikimaka
01-30-2003, 08:23 PM
It's DawnStorm's Birthday today.

Happy Birthday to you and many, many more!!!

:hb: :hat: :flow1: :twirly: :balloons: :yes: :gift: :flow2: :dancer: :grouphug: :wave: :D

smileybug38618
01-31-2003, 05:51 AM
Hello Everyone !!! It sounds like everyone is doing great! I have been doing my walking every morning and evening:angel: I think this will be the first week that I have ever walked everyday. Today will be easy but Sat and Sun will be the real test. I started at 197 and am currently at 193 so it is taking a little longer than I want but oh well. Yesterday was tough, my boss brought chocolate fudge w/ nuts to work and then to top it off my uncle brought us some peanut butter fudge. :devil: Yes I did have a little of both:cry:
I walk all my miles on the treadmill, any ideas on how to get my husband to walk outside with me.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL & HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Laurie
SW 197
CW 193
GW 150

DawnStorm
01-31-2003, 09:42 AM
Don't feel so bad Smileybug--yesterday was my birthday, and much to my surprise my mom baked a cake. Well of course I had to have some, but between my husband and I that sucker will be gone by the end of the the weekend. Know what my doctor said about diets? Will you cheat occassionally? Sure! Just get right back on it! ;) Besides I think that if someone offers food to you, you should take some unless you're allergic to it, or it's against your religion. To refuse just because you're on a diet is rude IMO. How much you take is up to you!

sun1shine1
01-31-2003, 10:04 AM
Well, I walked 3 miles yesterday and i plan on doing the same today. I enjoy the quiet time to unwind and think by myself before i get home and start spending time with my fiance and my puppy. On the way home yesterday I stopped by a bridal accessories shop to look and get some ideas. It was a nice (nonfood) way to treat myself for sticking with the walking.

The only problem i'm really noticing right now (in addition to the shin problems) is that my legs aren't getting slimmer evenly. I'm trying to see about "wiggling" my other foot in order to target that side now. That's what made me start slimming on the first side anyway. Any other suggestions or ideas? Anyone else having this trouble?

I am investing in new walking shoes this next payday. I haven't figured out how that will fit into the budget just yet, but it qualifies as a necessity. :) Besides, it's time that I spend some money on me for me. I'm ready for this treat

Ashley

SvelteChicky
01-31-2003, 10:28 AM
Sorry I've missed the birthdays.

SvelteChicky
01-31-2003, 10:30 AM
OOPS. Clicked before I was ready. Anyway, congrats to the ladies who gracefullly usher in another year. I haven't walked ina couple days. Work kept me late last night, even after I had eaten my way through town, I still didn't come home and walk. I swore I'd do that too. Today is another day, and in my journal, i've decided not to dwell. I will exercise today, and I will be good today. And, I will take that walk, because I need to keep up with my personal goals... to move my body more than I eat... is that possible? What a challenge.

WNYmom
01-31-2003, 10:55 AM
The way I look at it, you have to have these goodies now and then. You have to treat yourself but still watch protions. Last Sunday we went to a friends for a birthday/Super Bowl party. They had pizza, chicken wings, all kinds of munchies, cake and ice cream. There was literally nothing low fat there!!!!!!!! I have not had pizza in MONTHS and wings for close to a year!!!!!!!!! I had 2 small pieces of pizza, 4 wings, cake and ice cream. I figured I could do without the munchies.
I did walk an extra day last week cuz I knew what was gonna be served at the party. I would have liked to also get an extra day in this week but things have not worked out as planned but I am not fretting over it. I still might be able to get my extra day in on Sat. but that will go on February's log. No big deal.
I am not gonna make my goal. I would have to loose 4 lbs a week for the next 2 weeks. Again I am not gonna fret over it. I did so well over the holidays. I need to start thinking about my next goal. Maybe make St. Pat's day my target date or go for March 31. Will have to sit down with the calander and decide then write my goal down.
BTW...I am very pleased with that program I found to download and control my treadmill. Since I have been using it I have been doing a 40 minute workout and burning off 200 cal.

Tricia
01-31-2003, 02:09 PM
It kind of sounds like none of us are seeing the results as quick as we'd like. My friend whom I'm also doing this with, was trying to back out of our monthly outing..Our deal was every month as long as we progressed in some healthy area we were to celebrate by going shopping at the Good Will and take in a dollar movie. But because she hasn't lost like she wanted to she didn't want to go..:nono: I don't think so. I haven't lost either like I'd like to have but it is slowly coming off..but more importantly I am getting healthy, healthier then I've been in years , I'm sure. I was bummin..too, but time to pull up the boot straps..Remember what Dr. Phil said " only set goals for things you can control, such as eatting right and exercise because we can not control what our body does" We bought a recumbant bike, so yesterday I walked 1.5 and rode 8 miles. Today I reckon I'll walk and ride as well..Speaking for my friend and I I think we came out Jan 1 all ready to go..but now it's the end of Jan..and getting a little discouraged..Well it's almost Feb..time to get pumped up again..So here's my goal for Feb. I plan to walk 6 days a week minimum of 1.5 miles and ride at least 3 as well..how far I don't know..
163/157.5/130 ish

justjane
01-31-2003, 07:49 PM
Happy Birthday, DawnStorm! It's hard to turn down *anything* much less birthday cake when it's offered with love, isn't it? Excellent philosophy to just put it behind you and move on...it's not the end of the world, or the "new you!"

Smiley--good to see you! Glad you are checking in. It really helps to stay accountable to yourself if you have someone to report to at the end of the day! Are you counting calories or anything? I know that really helps me decide whether or not I can splurge on something...I know what my calorie "budget" is for the day...and if something would put me waaaaay overbudget I have to decide if I REALLY want it, or if I'd rather not "waste" my calorie$$ on it! fitday.com is a great tool for that. And good for you for walking every day! Some people recommend only exercising every other day, but I find for myself if I make myself do *something* every day, then I'm more apt NOT to make excuses and skip the exercise altogether. As for getting your husband to walk with you--I sure don't know the trick. My husband's doctor even recommended he walk with me and that didn't even do it. ::sigh::

Ashley--welcome! I've heard shinsplints are related to the shoes you use, and the stretching too. So do stretch before and after, and invest in that new pair of shoes too. They're supposed to last about 500 miles before all the good padding and support are gone. I can't remember which website it was, but there was one of them that actually helped you track how much mileage you put on your shoes! Sounds like your'e getting married--when's the wedding? And where are you in LA?

Svelte, did you stick to your guns? I've got to pack to go out of town for a few days, so I'm not sure I'm going to get my walk in. Bad part is, while I'm at this conference, I know I will not only NOT exercise, I will eat and drink much more than I usually do! Ah well, it's only 4 days...maybe it won't be too much of a setback.

WNYMom, if you could go to a party and only eat that much--MORE POWER TO YOU! parties are especially hard. Are you walking outside up there in the frozen north?

Tricia...I think you and your friend have a great system! And I agree with you...if she's made ANY effort she needs to indulge and reward herself (low cost, low cal!! )--that incentive is what keeps us going! It's nice to see the scales change...lord knows I've been complaining about that lately...but I know I'm doing my body a favor by treating it better!

I'll probably be MIA til Tues or Wed. Y'all keep walkin'! :)

WNYmom
02-01-2003, 09:17 AM
WNYMom, if you could go to a party and only eat that much--MORE POWER TO YOU! parties are especially hard. Are you walking outside up there in the frozen north?

Even though I was drinking I managed to stay away from the munchies. I wasn't hungry when they were brought out at half time so it wasn't to hard. Just stayed out of the diningroom!!!!
As far as walking goes, I have a treadmill right in my livingroom!!!!! It is iFIT.com compatable and I also found a web site where you can download a program so you can create your own workouts to work with a compatable piece of equipment. With iFIT their Level 1 workouts only go up to 35 minutes and I wanted to go longer. Level 2 is getting into jogging and running and I don't want that. I just want a nice fast walk. With this program I can pick and choose how long my workout is, when I peak both for speed and incline, adjust my warm up and cool down. It is pretty good.
I create my workout, grab my water, remote for the TV and start walking!!!!!!! I usually watch soaps. I have the remote so I can turn the sound up so I can hear the TV. ;) I watch TV and forget about what I am doing. I started out only doing 15 minutes 3 days a week and now I am up to 40 minutes 3 or 4 days a week.

SvelteChicky
02-03-2003, 10:18 PM
Evening. Had a good day, got my exercise in, and ate well. Today ended on a stressful note, when I mentioned I'd like to go out on the town with his cousin sometime. He got very upset, and here we are, fighting. Hopefully tomorrow we'll settle this, and move on. Sometimes, being so different than your spouse really turns up the tension.

melekalikimaka
02-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Hey everyone it's been a few days. Thought I'd resurrect this thread. Well despite having a difficult time last week with life in general I kept up my walking daily and can report a 2 lb loss this week. I have now lost 30 lbs total. I am so happy I just want to shout it from the rooftops. :dancer: I was also having problems with shin splints again but I think it's more to do with the fact that I wasn't stretching out enough before walking. I've been trying to pay more attention to the warm up part and drinking more water during the day. I also added an extra hill to towards the end of my walk to get the heart rate up again. All these things seems to have helped.

Chris, did you ever get that girls night out you wanted? You deserve it and hubby shouldn't have a problem with it especially if it's with family.

Hope to hear from others out there. Keep walking!

WNYmom
02-08-2003, 01:50 PM
i got 4 days of walking in this past week. I have also been trying to pay attention to my diet. So far this week I am down about 1lb but I look at my loss from Monday to Monday.

melekalikimaka
02-11-2003, 12:53 AM
No shin splints today. The sun was out and it was windy and beautiful. I am keeping that extra hill at the end of my walk to get the heart rate up a little more than usual and it adds maybe an extra 5-7 minutes in. Get this, I even jogged a little portion of the ways without feeling like I was going to die. Me, jogging! How funny is that? I loved it that it didn't feel like I had the flabby saddle bags on my hips bouncing around. Much less bulk and much more cardio healthy than I've been in a LONG time. I love it.

Hope everyone out there's keeping active--stay safe, but keep moving.

WNYmom
02-11-2003, 07:35 AM
Didn't do to good this past week. The last time I walked was Wed. cuz I have been so busy. Sunday we went out to eat and I think I kind of blew my diet but it is only one day but it showed up on the scale this AM. I have a 1lb gain. :?: I have not had a gain in WEEKS but I can not let it get to me. :stress: I hope to get back on that treadmill today.:strong:

SvelteChicky
02-11-2003, 10:38 AM
hey guys Never did get that girls night out. He's such a worrier. Feels like I"ll do something dumb, and come home drunk.. give me a break. I'll let that issue lie for now.

I walked this morning, evne though the melty stuff is now slippery ice. it was nice to ge the dog out. I had to work really late last night, and I actuallymissed my walk. And dinner. That stinks. Hate that.

I made my goal yesterday though, of 150 pounds. Did it from may 02-now. pretty happy, but to keep it off.... that's the challenge now. i feel pretty healthy. compared to back before. wheew!

Start: 210
Now: 150 Goal!
Goal.... reached 2-10-02

sun1shine1
02-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Arg! I only walked once last week, but the shin problems aren't quite as bad as I get back into shape. It rained and was cold and icky all week, so I didn't venture out as much. I understand about being busy WNYmom!! and I don't even have kids yet!! JustJane - I'm in Houma. i lived here while i was in high school and my fiance (then just a bf) and I moved back here in June. We are getting married in August (the 16th). It's going to be outside and hot!

I can't wait to reach my goal!! CONGRATULATIONS SVELTECHICKY!!!!!!!! :)

still working,
Ashley