Entrees - Mexican Crockpot Creamy Chicken

View Full Version : Mexican Crockpot Creamy Chicken

AnnieDrews
02-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Here is a recipe I tried this weekend. We used it to make soft tacos. Please see the notes at the bottom of the recipe. It can really be tailored to your personal taste. Enjoy!

Mexican Crockpot Creamy Chicken

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 small onion, diced
cup salsa
1 bag frozen corn (I used half bag)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Rotel tomatoes and chilies
Chili powder, salt and pepper to taste
block light cream cheese

Put chicken in crock pot, cover with all ingredients except cream cheese. Cook 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low. Shred chicken and mix back in with light cream cheese until melted. Cook 15-20 min. until heated.
Serve as soft tacos (with lettuce, tomato, cheese, cilantro, onion, etc.) or over rice.

6 servings
181 cal./2 g. fat/24 carbs/17 g. protein/5 g. fiber (Unsure of accuracy on these.)

NOTES: Recipe is as originally copied. It makes much more than 6 servings. I would use an envelope of taco seasoning instead of chili powder, salt and pepper. Maybe use less onion and add a clove or two of garlic, minced. Also, stir in some chopped cilantro at the end.

amandie
02-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I think I see a typo: Cook 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 on high? ;)

This recipe sounds really yummy and EASY! I think I will use Queso Fresco & Chipotle LC cheese in place of cream cheese. Thanks for sharing!!

AnnieDrews
02-28-2011, 01:59 PM
I think I see a typo: Cook 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 on high? ;)

This recipe sounds really yummy and EASY! I think I will use Queso Fresco & Chipotle LC cheese in place of cream cheese. Thanks for sharing?

OOOPS!;) Fixed.

losermom
03-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Some cumin and red pepper flakes would be awesome additions, depending on how much heat you want. I've made this before without the cream cheese, but I didn't have a recipe. I usually just add nonfat plain greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream.

GirlyGirl
03-11-2011, 12:36 PM
I made it, and really liked it! Had it on whole grain soft and hard tacos with lettuce, tomato, light cheese and taco sauce. Yumm! Thanks for the recipe!

AnnieDrews
03-13-2011, 05:43 PM
I made it, and really liked it! Had it on whole grain soft and hard tacos with lettuce, tomato, light cheese and taco sauce. Yumm! Thanks for the recipe!

Great! I had put my leftovers in the freezer and we had the rest this week for supper.