General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #1  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

Default changing my mindset for house cleaning

i've been working over the years, to get my mind to accept that less clutter is a good thing. and to notice the clutter or small messes around the house, and do something about it. i find this more difficult than it sounds.

also, when i'm cleaning, i can only do a really see all the things to fix when company is coming over. how do i train my brain to see it before people are coming, so i'm prepared for company. instead of running around like a maniac. it's a great workout! but i live in a bigger house now. you'd have to tell me days in advance to really clean it completely if it's a mess.

i'm much better than i was, i can have a clear counter and not feel like i'm in some strange house, or hotel. but i have a long way to go.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 5"

Take a photo of the room. Our brain is generally lazy and only sees what's new or novel, so we become blind to long-term piles of clutter. Whe you see your room on a photo, you'll see all the stuff much better than you normally do! It can be frightening, really

I'm a fan of Flylady- whose mission it is to encourage everyone to declutter. She says "you can't organize clutter"- and how true! I can't follow the Flylady plan to the letter, but reading the Flylady website and using some of her techniques has helped me get so much more organized and get over the physchological hurdles of cleaning!
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #3  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

I find that every so often when I get a good day - when my back pain subsides a bit - I will have a tidying day. That means not necessarily cleaning but putting things into their proper designated places. You know how the few odds and ends end up being put into nearby vase or container "out of the way" so to speak.
Cleaning days are just that - for cleaning and as I live in quite a small flat (apartment) it doesn't take much time to hoover thro' it and do a bit of dusting.
Now when it comes to DUSTING!! Aye Aye Aye!! My worst job ever.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Have you looked at Flylady?

Also, I've set a rule for myself. My house can never get so messy that it would take me more than 1-2 hours to be ready for overnight company. That means I'm constantly looking around my house AS IF company was coming, and keeping it at that level. It also means that after guests come, certain things happen - clean sheets, neatened room, etc. It works for me.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote