General Diet Plans and Questions - would this make a smoothie?

View Full Version : would this make a smoothie?

lucky8
02-26-2011, 08:24 AM
milk
banana
nectarine
vanilla yog
pear
ice

bargoo
02-26-2011, 09:46 AM
It would be a large one.

indiblue
02-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Pears usually don't work as well in smoothies. Apples don't either. Try to stick with more "fleshy" fruit like the nectarine you mention as opposed to crisper fruits.

In addition, I usually only put 1-2 fruits in my smoothies. 3 or more and the flavor can get a little complicated (unless it's, say, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, which all sort of complement each other well.

That said, smoothies are incredibly 'forgiving' so you can pretty much put whatever you want. Just throw some stuff in (maybe a little bit at a time) and see what happens! Most of the time it will at least be palatable. :)

LandonsBaby
02-27-2011, 07:31 PM
I like banana, berries, mango and spinach with kefir

seagirl
02-27-2011, 07:37 PM
I love pears in my smoothies.

I usually do: small pear, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup milk, ice and a giant handful of spinach or kale.

kaplods
02-27-2011, 07:48 PM
I'd keep track of calories too. In my experience a smoothie over 300 calories (especially without calorie dense ingredients like protein powder) tends to be a pretty heavy meal, and it leaves me feeling kind of bloated and uncomfortable.

seagirl
02-27-2011, 07:51 PM
I'd keep track of calories too. In my experience a smoothie over 300 calories (especially without calorie dense ingredients like protein powder) tends to be a pretty heavy meal, and it leaves me feeling kind of bloated and uncomfortable.

For me, they are breakfast. And if I add a tablespoon of almond butter they fill me up until about 1pm. They are too filling to be in addition to a meal.

kaplods
02-27-2011, 08:08 PM
For me, they are breakfast. And if I add a tablespoon of almond butter they fill me up until about 1pm. They are too filling to be in addition to a meal.

I didn't say they should be consumed in addition to a meal. I agree that they're far too filling to be in addition to a meal. What I was saying was that in my experience that if they're much larger than 300 calories, I find them far too filling as a meal.

The only smoothie-like beverages that I will use as a snack rather than a meal are berry slushes - using half to one serving of frozen berries (30 - 70 calories) and some lemonade or sparking water and ice), pureed/slushified in a rocket blender.