Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #1  
I'm gonna tone those legs

Height: 4'11 and a half

Default How to tone pear-shaped bottom & legs

CG1EEE.gifSo I am turning 21 and gaining weight. I am 4'11 and a half. Yes, not even 5'. Being short is already bad enough, I have a pear-shaped body. My upper body is not skinny, but it's not fat either. It's okay. But for the first time in months, I looked at myself clearly in the mirror and noticed my bottom has gotten gigantically bigger. And my legs have a curve shape and my thighs and calves are fat. They look like men's.There's a bulge in the middle of my calves. They would touch each other when I stand. So do my thighs. I am so depressed now. I don't feel confident with my friends and acquaintances anymore. I feel ugly next to any other woman. My self-esteem is dropping. The problem is not my weight (I'm 105). I don't know what's the problem is. It is genes in the family that we looked a lot fatter than we weigh.
Please help me to tone my thighs and calves. Can you shape your legs and calves if you work hard enough? Or am I stuck with this body shape? I bought a treadmill last November. I used it for the first 3 weeks then stopped because I lacked the motivation. And my friends said that they think my calves and legs got bigger because of the exercise.
What exercise would tone my legs, thighs, and calves?
I am so depressed now. Please help.

Last edited by dpress ed gurl; 02-26-2011 at 01:29 AM.
dpress ed gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 140/ticker/120

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

I have the same build and very curvy! I was even on a soccer team called the "Thunther Thighs" once!!!! No, really!!! I do lots of squats and lunges, cycle and leg presses to keep my legs and butt in shape. There are huge benefits about being pear shaped....less cardiovascular risk, etc. Having less fat around the waist and major organs. Even bones are stronger for having stronger legs to carry us around. All the things I did not really want o hear but understand now at 60 years of age. I work out often and do cardio to stay in shape and the biggest plus...is having a waist and showing it off. I went to a clothes stylist some time back to help me make some choices that would make my body look longer and slimmer and it was a big help. She even changes the style of shoes that I should wear.
thelast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

My advice. RUNNNNN....run forest...run!!! The best thing I ever did for my lower half (I also am genetically thick down below)
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #4  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

at first, when you build muscle, your legs may look bigger. However, once you lose the fat along the way, your legs will look great, instead of 'skinny fat'.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #5  

Thank you for your answers! But would exercise really help me to tone my legs? Would the bulge in my calves go away?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #6  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i'm not understanding why you WANT the bulge in the calf to go away? i'm wishing i had one, lol. the bulge sounds like muscle, which is a GOOD thing. there's likely some fat on top of that, that's what you want to get rid of, some of it anyway.

so your question sounds like you want to tone (which means get muscle), but you want the bulge which is muscle, to go away. lol!

i think what you mean is, you can't see the muscle. getting rid of the fat will help with that.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #7  

If the "bulge" in my calves are my muscles, then they are not normal. It is "curvy" and look like men's. I don't think they are muscles. When I relax my legs and fling my legs back and forth, they also "fling" with my legs. Which means they are fat, right? Plus muscles don't take much space, but my calves are fat. I don't understand. Would running help?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/233/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelast20 View Post
I have the same build and very curvy! I was even on a soccer team called the "Thunther Thighs" once!!!! No, really!!! I do lots of squats and lunges, cycle and leg presses to keep my legs and butt in shape. There are huge benefits about being pear shaped....less cardiovascular risk, etc. Having less fat around the waist and major organs. Even bones are stronger for having stronger legs to carry us around. All the things I did not really want o hear but understand now at 60 years of age. I work out often and do cardio to stay in shape and the biggest plus...is having a waist and showing it off. I went to a clothes stylist some time back to help me make some choices that would make my body look longer and slimmer and it was a big help. She even changes the style of shoes that I should wear.
The question I have is what can you do when you can't do squats etc...knees are bad?? is there an alterative??

Last edited by mflaig; 02-26-2011 at 09:12 PM.
mflaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #9  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflaig View Post
The question I have is what can you do when you can't do squats etc...knees are bad?? is there an alterative??
Walk...really fast! Eliptical? People with no legs or morbidly obese people who aren't able to to use their lower extremities at all can still get their heart rate up and consequently burn calories.

My advice...if you can...walk...if not, look into something/anything that will get your heartrate up (make you sweat), without causing injury.

OP, YES...without doubt...running will solve all your problems with your legs...it is the single BEST thing us woman who are thicker down below can do. I am also naturally muscular...and things like weighted squats & lunges only make my legs BIGGER! I don't need more muscle there...I have quite enough, thanks! LOL! Trust me...you'll see what I'm talking about it check out my before/after pics on my log/semi-blog below. All the best!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflaig View Post
Have you talked with a physical therapist at any point? I have osteoarthritis in one knee and I'm able to do squats and I think they have strengthened my knees. I'm not sure about your specific issues but wall squats with a ball and lunges on a step are 2 things that come to mind as alternatives. One thing I've found is working the legs, strengthens the knees so you want to try to figure out what works for you.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I am short and curvy too, with pear-shapes and hourglass shapes running through my family. You've been given some good toning advice so I'll give you some non weight-loss advice for whatever it's worth. As you get older your body will change shape, especially at your age. I am only a few years older than you but I do remember in college my rear and thighs becoming rounder. It's part of becoming more 'womanly' and losing the shape of a teenage girl that we all fondly remember.

I'm not saying you have no control of your body, I just want to remind you that you are a VERY healthy weight and that sometimes changes in the body are just part of growing up. I really hope that shifts in your rear, calves, or wherever don't make you lose self-confidence and be depressed, because they continue to happen as we grow older. I have accepted though that I will never be "skinny," and that if I am at a healthy weight I will always have thighs that touch and a pretty generous rear end .

I don't want to sound preachy because I'm currently trying to lose vanity pounds, so I know how it feels to want to look a certain way. Just sending you hugs and gentle reminder to love yourself and all the quirks genetics and life has delivered to your beautiful body

Last edited by indiblue; 02-27-2011 at 11:36 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 140/ticker/120

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

I played soccer for 30 years and my knees were shot. i never liked running so I started weight training and squats and lunges were OK. In fact they really helped keeping my legs in alignment. Biking is also excellent exercise and I am contemplating walking in the pool (not much of a swimmer) but swimming is also excelent.
thelast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #13  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

I LOVE my pear shape lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me.jpg (8.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by MzJuicyD; 02-27-2011 at 02:36 PM.
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

First of all, I understand how you feel. I hit college and my body changed shape - much more curvier. Heck, my boobs went from an A to a D and I didn't gain weight. It was shocking to me. However, be kind to your body. Treat it well with exercise and diet, yes, but being depressed does nothing for it, except teach your brain that your body is no good. I'm JUST starting to embrace my pear shape curves (and yes, I'm short and curvy) and I'm actually ok with it. I do want to be healthier, but I accept that I'm curvy and happy about it. I run 30 minutes every other day and I will tell you that it does do wonders for my bottom.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote