Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Help - Chinese Food - Restaurant

Tomorrow evening we are going out for supper at a Chinese Buffet (not what was originaly planned), what will I be able to eat......

Of course if they have a salad bar I will start with that, but then what?

Can I have Wooton Soup?

What about beef and broccoli?

Is chicken chow mein ok?

Please give me ideas.......... I've been doing really well on this and I don't want to blow it on one meal.

Thanks
df1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I eat low carb and when I do go out for chinese I usually get beef broccoli because it seems to be healthier than most other choices.

I'd say no to wontons cuz that's all carbs. Egg drop soup is usually okay though.

I don't do ideal protein though- I don't know if that's similar to low carb.

Last edited by beerab; 02-25-2011 at 06:22 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #3  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

A lot of the sauces use starch and have the soy or oyster sauces that have lots of carbs. Chinese is not very IP friendly, unfortunately.
Alaskaipjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaipjourney View Post
A lot of the sauces use starch and have the soy or oyster sauces that have lots of carbs. Chinese is not very IP friendly, unfortunately.
I know, but unfortunately that's where everyone has decided they wanted to have supper.......... so I have to figure something out.

I was thinking maybe, beef and broccoli or chop suey (which is really bean sprouts with chicken).

I hope this doesn't screw everything up for me.
df1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #5  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by df1960 View Post
I know, but unfortunately that's where everyone has decided they wanted to have supper.......... so I have to figure something out.

I was thinking maybe, beef and broccoli or chop suey (which is really bean sprouts with chicken).

I hope this doesn't screw everything up for me.
You are fine with just soy sauce - it's all the other sauces you will have issues with. My suggestion is when you get there, scope things out and if there isn't anything that you feel comfortable eating, ask them if they could just steam some veggies for you and give you some meat with no sauce on it. You don't have to tell them you're on a diet - you can just say that for health reasons, you require absolutely no sugar or sauces or breading on your food. Then add soy sauce to your heart's content.
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Most sauces and soups are thickened with cornstarch.
good luck!
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #7  
IP START: March 20th 2011

Height: 5'5''

in Jan it was m grandmas bday and we all went out to a Chinese buffet. The place we went to also has take out. Everything in the buffet was greasy (a.k.a. yummy) so my dad and myself (both dieters) talked to the waiter explaining that we were here for a birthday, and are on a special diet where we can't have any fats.(we werent on IP yet, but were trying to lose weight) We asked to order something from the take away menu (both got steamed veggies with chicken, we requested no sauce, and added soya sauce after) at first they told us that we would still be charged the buffet price, but we asked to speak to manager, and threatened to take the whole family group to another restaurant if they couldn't help. They did let us pay for the healthy dish, and basically stayed by our table the whole time to make sure we weren't eating the buffet HAHAHAHA...BUFFET POLICE

Last edited by Shrinking Sandra; 02-25-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Shrinking Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:16 AM   #8  

when i do the buffets, I'll usually cheat by having more protein and the veggies. no chow mein, fried rice or other carbs. have some shrimp with veggies or sushimi...
bikiniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:17 AM   #9  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

If you're ordering on the menu and not a buffet, one of the better options is Mongolian beef. If you're in luck, you'll get the good kind that's practically a dry spice rub and minimal peanut oil for cooking. If you're a little less lucky, you'll get the kind with a sauce that contains a little cornstarch. (I'm not on IP and am not sure how much that would throw you off.) You might want to ask if they can leave the starch out of your portion.

If you go with the buffet, is it one of the places where you pick your own raw stuff, then take the plate up to the chefs who cook it to order for you? If so, go wild--you can eat a TON of goodies cooked to order. If that isn't an option, gravitate toward grilled items and steamed veggies; I know most places here have a pretty nice grilled/boiled seafood selection, but that might vary. Chicken skewers/chicken satay makes a nice appetizer.

Although I'm not on IP, I feel safe in assuming rice is off your menu, but you knew that one already.

I hope you have a wonderful time and that whatever you choose to eat is delicious!
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote