100 lb. Club - Food Scales

View Full Version : Food Scales

Slimjem
02-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Can anyone recommend a good/reliable food scale and where to buy? Thanks!

beerab
02-25-2011, 06:45 PM
I just got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Portions-Digital-Food-Scale/dp/B001E1B9H2

LOVE IT- I'm so happy with it. It's a bit small but it holds up to 11 pounds worth of food :)

Ky30
02-25-2011, 08:44 PM
I got the biggest loser scale from walmart.com. Paid 20 bucks for it with 97 cent shipping I love it.

PastriestoPushups
02-26-2011, 12:11 AM
I have this scale and I super love it! http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16210315

stasiagurl91
02-26-2011, 08:48 AM
i just bought a food scale from walmart for $5.simple

duckyyellowfeet
02-26-2011, 04:58 PM
I bought a no-name digital scale from Wal-Mart.

The only advice I have is to check what type of battery your scale uses. Mine runs off a watch battery, which is annoying because I have to specifically buy that type of batter and it drains way faster than your normal AA batteries.

Laffalot
02-26-2011, 07:30 PM
:) Hi All - I have an ancient one that I bought from WW a gazillion years ago & am still using it. It just won't die but when it does I now know where to get one. Hope you all are doing well. It is still cold here & snowing (AGAIN) today. I WANT SPRING! I had 3 bad days this week but am now back on track. Guess it will show up when I weigh in at WW (Yep, I'm back there again) on Tues. Keep on keeping on, eh? :wave:

2feelbetter
02-26-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm just curious. Do you all use your food scale because you're on weight watchers.

Laffalot
02-26-2011, 07:53 PM
:) I'm on WW because I feel that is the best all around way to be lose weight/be healthy etc. I think weighing & measuring your food is good for portion control & I really like to eat-LOTS! It is good for calorie counters too I think. :) :)

Slimjem
02-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks everyone for input. I joined WW a few weeks ago and am having a hard time w/ the new Points Plus so thought maybe the food scale would be an extra incentive and an accountability thing for me. Good luck on your journey's!

TheBunneh
02-26-2011, 08:02 PM
I got the Biggest Loser scale from Bed Bath & Beyond, can't remember how much I paid though. I've been very happy with it.

synger
02-26-2011, 11:23 PM
I have a very good and simple-to-use one.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1298776823&sr=1-1

I chose it because of the almost universal 5-star ratings on Amazon.

I use it to measure meat and cheese, mostly. It's more accurate than "cups" or "size of a deck of cards". And since I put my food into DailyPlate I like being more accurate than a guesstimate would be.

I don't worry so much about measuring vegetables, and I use measuring spoons for condiments like sour cream or mayo. But I find the scale really helpful for meat and cheese.

Sandi
02-27-2011, 02:01 PM
This is my scale... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007GAWRS I love it because it does oz and grams. I don't do weight watchers, I just find it so much easier and accurate to use a scale. Having a slice a toast with 1 Tbsp of Peanut butter? Put the bread on the scale, zero it out and spread until you get 16 grams. Very accurate and no Tablespoon to dig the peanut butter out of!

This is the best video that I have seen that really drives home why we need to measure using a scale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY&feature=player_embedded#at=12

duckyyellowfeet
02-27-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm just curious. Do you all use your food scale because you're on weight watchers.

Yes and no.
I AM on weight watchers and making sure I'm accurately counting the amount of food for a given point value is really important to me.

On the other hand, I would use a food scale if I was on any sort of structured weight loss plan. I don't know how I could accurately say that I was eating XX-number of calories if I was just eyeballing my food portions. Plus, weighing my food makes me aware of how large a portion of something actually is, since clearly mainstream portion sizes are typically way too large

drinkypants
02-27-2011, 10:47 PM
I have the Escali one that Sandi mentioned, and I really love it. I think most scales would be fine. Having the tare function, and the ability to change it to pounds, ounces or grams is really handy.

@2feelbetter I am not on WW, but I count calories so having accurate measurements is important to me. It has really helped me understand portions.

Good luck on your weight loss journey Slimjem!

beerab
02-27-2011, 11:22 PM
No I'm not on weight watchers and I use a scale- I find it really helps me with portion control :)

synger
02-28-2011, 09:00 AM
This is the best video that I have seen that really drives home why we need to measure using a scale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY&feature=player_embedded#at=12

It's an interesting video, but I have a problem with it trying to equate measuring cups and spoons with grams of food. Grams is a weight measure, and measuring cups and spoons measure volume, not weight. So saying that a cup of dry oatmeal gives you more than your 40 gram "serving" is a "duh" thing to me. Of course it does!

A better way, if you're going to use measuring cups, is to scoop out the amount in your measuring cup, then weigh it, and know that that is how many grams your measuring cup gives for that food.

Or eschew measuring cups entirely for the scale.

But don't try to compare the two. They're are two different tools, and measure two different things.

time2lose
02-28-2011, 09:41 AM

I use my food scale because I don't have the ability to size portions by looking at them, just simply can't do it. I could not have lost the weight that I have without my tools and the food scale is a major tool for me.

I have the EatSmart Digital Nutrition Scale (http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Digital-Nutrition-Scale-Professional/dp/B0013IDHTO/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1298899727&sr=1-2). I love it but it was overkill. I don't use all of its features and could have been happy with a much cheaper one. It is still simple to use though.

Features to look for in a scale -
*Like someone else posted above, look at the battery. I prefer plain ole AAs
* Weighs in both grams and ounces
* Will work with the container you most often use. I had one scale that I could not read because the display was hidden when I put a plate on it.
* The ability to zero out (tare) the weight. I weight one item on my plate, hit tare and then add the next item. Love this feature!
* Maximum weight it will hold. This may not matter to you but it is surprising how often my husband or I decide to weigh fairly large amounts, like 5 pounds. This is usually when we are cooking in bulk.

Sandi
02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
I guess the reason that comparing the 2 makes sense to me, it because the box say 1 cup of oatmeal is x amount of calories and then it says how many grams that is, making your think that 1 cup of that item weighs that many grams. I think what the video was trying to say was that the "1 cup" is not as accurate as you might think and you get more accurate results using the scale and grams.

Koolmum
03-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I found a food scale at Superstore (PC brand) that calculates the calories, fibre, carbs, sodium ect...for $30. Hopefully it holds up for the long haul.