100 lb. Club - Why am I GAINING weight.... please... anybody....

EvilGidget
02-25-2011, 03:28 PM
ok, so I have been doing this since Oct.... I steadily was losing a little, at my most, I lost 40 lbs. Then, I just started gaining.

I work out at the gym at least 4 days a week sometimes more. I'm working out hard... not just lightly. I take weight classes, cardio classes, I train with a personal trainer once a week... I'm spending LOTS of money, and working my A** off.

I eat healthy... I don't count calories, but I would guestimate 1500 cals a day or so. Sure, I am not perfect... I slip here and there, but before I started it was cheeseburgers and french fries 3 times a day... eating at least 4 times the amount I'm eating now. I haven't had a cheeseburger or fries in months.

So... I gained 5 pounds... ok... no big deal... maybe I had a bad week, maybe it was TOM... maybe I ate too much... I didn't freak out, just kept working out. Then this morning I weigh and 5 MORE pounds!

TIME TO FREAK OUT!

My trainer says to stop weighing...it's just muscle... but I'm sorry.... I weigh TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE POUNDS.... at that weight I should be losing if I'm trying this hard. I mean... it's not like I'm at 140 or 150.... I know it gets harder then... but this is different... I have LOTS of fat that needs to go... and it's not going!!!

I am SOOOOO frustrated. I want to throw in the towel. I want to give up.... what is the point... what is the use.... why not just enjoy food and why work myself to death every day at the gym... it's not worth it.

I haven't been to a doctor in a couple of years... the one I had and like moved away. I haven't been able to find one in the area that is taking new patients. When I last went, all lab work was normal, so I'm kindof assumming it still is.

I just don't know what to do... I don't know how to keep doing this and not give up...

I'm about to break....

luvnmycstie
02-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Maybe it is time to count those calories and see what you are truly taking in? I am sure some of it is water retained within your muscles, but I wouldn't think 10 pounds of that.

sabrinalecompte
02-25-2011, 03:35 PM
have you considered that maybe with all the working out you are doing you are not eating enough calories?

Your body might be going into starvation mode and holding on to everything you eat because of the low number of calories in comparison to the amount of work you're doing physically.

I'm not an expert, by any means, but when my mom was stressing about the same issue - she and I are doing the same things and I keep losing while she was gaining - I told her she probably wasn't eating enough, and when she consumed more calories, the weight actually started coming off again.

EvilGidget
02-25-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm really not trying to be lazy... but with my job, and the gym and the family... counting calories just takes up too much time. I am eating mostly whole foods, and in my past experience with weight watchers, I truly believe I am eating right.

Counting calories is something I guess I may have to resort to, but I know it's something I won't stick to... I can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life.

ugghh....

Thanks for the advise though :)

CanadianCutie
02-25-2011, 03:42 PM
I agree with the above poster. It's very easy to over estimate or under estimate caloric intake. Try a food journal for a week. Be honest, weigh/measure the food, and the condiments you use. High sodium will skew your results, as will not enough fluids.

Robin41
02-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Just because you're eating in a much more healthy way than you did before does not mean you are creating a calorie deficit. Your body doesn't give credit on the scale for making healthier choices, it only gives credit for taking in fewer calories than you burn. Count for a week and see what you are truly eating; if you can find time to work out that much, you can find time to log your foods using one of the free sites and see where you really stand.

Also, be careful about accepting your trainer's opinion that it's just muscle. Building even a couple of pounds of new muscle can take months for a woman and isn't going to explain ten pounds. Google "how long does it take for a woman to put on muscle" for more info.

carter
02-25-2011, 03:51 PM
You may not have to calorie count every day for the rest of your life. It may be enough to do it for a few days and get an eye-opener about how many calories you are really eating. (That's what I do, by the way - I count calories for a few days each month, for a reality-check, and then after that eat according to patterns and habits that are similar to the days I counted rigorously.)

What if that is the reason for your apparent gains - what if you are overeating without realizing it? Isn't spending a few extra minutes a day for a few days measuring and recording your food worth the effort, if it helps you fix whatever's gone wrong with your process?

And even if it turns out you're eating right on target, that is a useful thing to know as well, so that you can look for other solutions knowing you have your eating in hand.

You're willing to do all this exercise - it must take so much time! so - just for a few days, spend some of that time measuring your food and counting your calories. There is really no reason not to.

Coondocks
02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Plan ahead.
Find a day you have time to plan a weeks menu, within your budget and stick to it. Have to have to have to stick to the menu.
For the longest time that's how I was able to get my calorie counting in, and the upside of that . . . I didn't have to plan everyday for meals, ended up saving me more time in the long run.

Just throwing it out there

sept15lija
02-25-2011, 03:54 PM
You can definitely still eat too many calories on healthy foods. If I let myself, I'd do it everyday. I hear you on being busy...but it truly is worth the effort. I use fitday, and once the things I regularly eat are in there, it's really easy to plan my day and enter it. Measuring things using my kitchen scale or measuring cups takes a few more seconds, but it's an integral part of my weight loss. Try it for a week or two and see where you're at.

peanutt
02-25-2011, 03:57 PM
I'd say you need to count your calories, even for a short term like a month. Count your calories, weigh and measure your food and get a firm handle on what and how much you're taking in each day.

There are so many web-based and smartphone tools out there for counting calories....it makes it so fast and simple to do. I spend maybe 15 minutes a day on logging my daily food intake. We all have 15 minutes a day to spare to help us on our journey!

You could even just write down what and how much you eat and then sit down on one of your days off when you might have more time to spare to figure out the calorie counts for a whole week of meals.

Once you're journaling your food, be sure to keep track of carb/fat/protein ratios as well as sodium too. Different bodies can need different ratios for optimal weight loss. Sodium can really derail the best efforts otherwise by retaining more water.

Joy2MeNu
02-25-2011, 04:11 PM
There are plans where you don't count calories, and it is a fact that if you exercise more than the substantial nutrition you require, the body fights you back by gaining. I expect your workouts may be biting you in the butt!

Razorbackbritt
02-25-2011, 04:17 PM
To easily track calories, I suggest thedailyplate.com It has most brands of supermarket food, food out to eat at chains, and you can create recipes that you cook and tell it how many portions you ate and it will calculate calories. It also stores them so you can look back at your patterns over time. It takes me 5 minutes to track what I've eaten.

seagirl
02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
I ate healthy, too. All the way up to 45 pounds overweight.

Now I count Points and I'm losing.

Counting is easy, if slightly time consuming. Being fat is hard. Not losing is hard. Being frustrated is hard.

Shannon in ATL
02-25-2011, 04:23 PM
I was going to suggest calorie tracking for a little while as well. I find myself overeating often on healthy foods, and don't always realize. Raisins are a big offender with me.

There are a lot of online resources where you can plot your food items and they will track for you. I use Livestrong, but have heard good things about a lot of the others as well. Once you get into the swing of it isn't nearly as time consuming as people who don't do it think. I don't know that I even spend 15 minutes per day anymore.

Trazey34
02-25-2011, 04:25 PM
ugh so frustrating eh???? My doctor told me once that it takes a LONG time to gain pounds of muscles, I'm not sure how long you've been at it???

As boring as it sounds, I'm thinking the culprit is food. I know when I started looking up the calories in things I was like WTF????? for the assigned portion and not what I was taking (usually 2 or 3 servings!) Not saying that's what's happening to you, but i bet you'd be shocked to see the calories in EVERY SINGLE THING you eat in a day -- you don't have to do it every day for the rest of your life believe me, just try it for a weekend or something, it's eye opening! and once you get the hang of it you remember a lot of the staples and it's not so bad -- even now, I'll have my plate ready and for the heck of it check the portion sizes, and they do creep up and up and up at times!!!

As frustrating as it is to work that HARD and not get the results you want, it's only a matter of a little tweaking and then everything will be working in tandem and then WHOOOOOOSH off it goes!!!

natamars
02-25-2011, 04:40 PM
First off, CONGRATS on all the great changes you've made!!!

I agree with everyone that you should do a calorie count check. Maybe even post a sample day? There are some calorie experts on this site! Once you get to know counts, it gets much easier. I'll make recipes like a big batch of oatmeal and divide it into 5 servings. Breakfast for the work week with identical calorie counts.

Some other suggestions:

1) Are you sure your scale is accurate? How often are you weighing in? Same time of day/amount of clothing(or lack thereof)?

2) Have you taken meausrements? If not, start now. I have a notebook that serves as my food journal and measurement check - try to check once a month or so.

ChubbyBride325
02-25-2011, 04:44 PM
I would definitely try tracking calories for a few days, as everyone else has suggested. It might surprise you and if not at least you KNOW that's not the problem. Also, this may be a stupid question because you said you're eating healthy, but are you drinking anything with caffiene? I aske this because I "dieted" for 6 months straight counting every single calorie & exercises my butt off & steadily gained weight. I believe it was because of the caffiene I was consuming daily. I don't really know the science behind all of it, but I thought as long as I counted the calories in the beverage into my daily allowance it would be fine. Well, apparently it wasn't for me. I was disgusted & finally realized that maybe my daily Mountain Dews were holding my weight on so I stopped drinking them & started losing immediately. I'm not sure if that helps you at all...but I just thought I would share my experience just in case. =)

Porthardygurl
02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Im just going to say that i agree with everyone else..im on south beach and i wasnt losing weight even though i was following it to a t..then i realized that i wasnt counting the fact that calories still matter and that means reducing the amount of fat in my diet..cause i was eating lots of cheese and seeds and nuts..so do a calorie count..you want to lose weight..time wont be an excuse..you will just do it.

katy trail
02-25-2011, 04:49 PM
i think she's undereating.

aside from what the scale says, how do you feel? did you feel you were making progress? are you feeling stronger? healthier?

are you starving and ravenous and unsatisfied after each meal and between meals?

if you were happy with your plan before the weigh ins then maybe all you need is a few tweeks to your plan.

if you hate your plan, then perhaps it's time for some big changes.

katy trail
02-25-2011, 04:50 PM
it also could be stress. has anything happened to really stress you out, other than the scale?

shannonmb
02-25-2011, 05:50 PM
I suspect portion creep. You lost a lot of weight eating the way you are now, but try to think back on the beginning when you were really in the good losses. Were you a little more strict with yourself then, even if not counting? I know that has happened to me a couple times so far, especially the month of December, when I didn't lose a thing. It never became a free-for-all, but I was definitely adding in things here and there between Thanksgiving and Christmas -- and surprise -- I didn't lose a pound.

January came and I buckled right back down to what I was doing at the beginning (including counting calories for a couple weeks), and I've lost another 20 lbs since doing that. Now I'm coming back around to needing to really track again for a couple weeks -- starting to get sloppy again.

Calorie counting is a tool I use to really keep an eye on what's going on. I don't do it all the time, but if I SUSPECT I might not be maximizing my efforts, all I need to do is take a good honest look and it snaps me back to where I need to be. I plan on doing this as needed for the rest of my life, a week or 2 at a time.

One last thing, when you get that desire to just say the heck with it, might as well give in and eat the crap, you realize of course that 260-something is not the max. You WILL gain more if you let it all go, and trust me, you will HATE it if you do that too long and end up at 350 lbs. Believe me, I never thought I'd get there, either. It's not too hard to do when you just totally give up. So DON'T! ;)

twinmommaplusone
02-25-2011, 06:24 PM
You are always full of excuses. Time and time again, eveyrtime you post it's not about a success but a struggle. Which is fine, but with that you have to take some of this support/knowledge and APPLY IT! Or else it's all for nothing. You can lose through calorie cutting alone.

Not enough Time to Calorie count is a pile of horse crap! Bottom Line! I have twin tots, a rambuxtious 5 year old, full time college student plus many other roles in my life. You are never too busy to take your life Back!

Gosh you really got to want it, once you see it's not as hard YOU make then you can never get of your own way. Good Luck.

seagirl
02-25-2011, 06:47 PM
You are always full of excuses. Time and time again, eveyrtime you post it's not about a success but a struggle. Which is fine, but with that you have to take some of this support/knowledge and APPLY IT! Or else it's all for nothing. You can lose through calorie cutting alone.

Not enough Time to Calorie count is a pile of horse crap! Bottom Line! I have twin tots, a rambuxtious 5 year old, full time college student plus many other roles in my life. You are never too busy to take your life Back!

Gosh you really got to want it, once you see it's not as hard YOU make then you can never get of your own way. Good Luck.

What she said. (And what she did. Rock on, twinmom!)

summerlove
02-25-2011, 06:54 PM

Yup.
I've gotten so good at counting calories I just add it up in my head as I go about my day. It takes literally NO time. If you have time to post on these forums you have time to count calories.

Take charge of your life, take charge of yourself, and do what you need to do in order to succeed.

lottie63
02-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Do you have a smartphone? I find having calorie counting apps is helpful for when on the run.

Nola Celeste
02-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Calorie counting doesn't take much time at all. You've done really well--you started here about the time I did and your loss is significantly greater--but whatever's stalling you out needs to be investigated, and a great place to start is with your calories.

If you don't yet have a food scale, invest in one. It's incredibly simple to set your plate on the scale, hit "tare," add a serving of food, and note the weight. For plates with multiple foods on them, just repeat the process, hitting "tare" each time to zero out your scale and weigh only the newly added food.

I spend maybe an extra ten minutes a day total on weighing and adding my counts to a food log most days. On days when I've been creative with my menus and prepared a lot of from-scratch stuff that I didn't already have counts for, that went up to twenty minutes or so. It's actually a better investment of my free minutes than any exercise would be for a similar period of time.

I suspect that once you start counting and keep at it for a couple of weeks, you won't want to stop; it's that valuable a tool for monitoring yourself. :)

Vladadog
02-25-2011, 07:28 PM
I'll add another "count calories" - using any of the online apps will only take a few minutes a day and then you'll know if you're getting too much or not enough calories. Don't estimate amounts, measure or weigh, because you need the information to actually have a clue what is going on. (I'm betting you're taking in a bunch more calories than you think you are - it's really really easy to do. (Maybe especially with healthy food where you can fool yourself with 'but it's healthy!'.....)

joyfulloser
02-25-2011, 07:37 PM
There are ways to make calorie counting simple. I do...and it doesn't take any extra time during the week. Every other week, I cook several different entries, portion them (based on calorie content), add brown rice, quinoa, barley, bulgar wheat or baked sweet potato and veggies and FREEZE. Each meal has it's own calorie count already PRE MEASURED!!! This makes calorie counting a breeze and eating delishous, quality foods a breeze (and I love international cuisine...so every meal's a treat!);)

MonicaM
02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
You also need to take the time to measure your food when counting calories. Eventually you will be able to do it without a scale or measuring cup, but PLEASE take the time to do it for a month. At the end of the month, you will have lost and be motivated to continue your calorie count, which becomes easier with time.

lottie63
02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Also, a lot of people say that counting calories is too time consuming or difficult or whatever their reason, but we will always find time for the things we really want to invest our time in, so maybe just for a few days, try and make it a priority.

I'm vegan, lots of people think that all vegans are skinny, I know plenty of fat vegans. They eat healthy most of the time (not including vegan goodies of course) but they eat way too much of even the healthy stuff.

lottie63
02-25-2011, 08:00 PM
You also need to take the time to measure your food when counting calories. Eventually you will be able to do it without a scale or measuring cup, but PLEASE take the time to do it for a month. At the end of the month, you will have lost and be motivated to continue your calorie count, which becomes easier with time.

^^^ This.

katy trail
02-25-2011, 08:32 PM
the posts about excuses aren't true. i remember some posts when she was talking about SUCCESS! and i'm really proud of the success that the OP has had. Don't give up!

drinkypants
02-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Hey, first, congrats on your loss so far! :carrot:

I agree with what most people have said about calorie counting. I don't think you need to do it forever, but at least a few days to see where you are at. Weighing, and measuring is important.

My husband started running last summer, and was wondering why his weight didn't change at all. It turns out he upped his calories to compensate for working so hard. He would eat an extra orange, some nuts, or some granola, or different healthy things, but he was basically eating the amount he was burning, so his weight stayed the same. It's hard to burn 500 calories, but really easy to eat it... especially after a hard workout!

As other posters suggested, maybe you are too low, but you wont know until you actually track the calories.

I wish you luck, and hope you figure out why you are gaining. :hug:

lottie63
02-25-2011, 10:51 PM
coco, love your avatar! but..wanted to say I read an article about this, about how people who did cardio would often gain weight because they over ate to compensate for exercise, but sadly we just don't burn as much as we think with exercise.

sept15lija
02-26-2011, 09:39 AM
coco, love your avatar! but..wanted to say I read an article about this, about how people who did cardio would often gain weight because they over ate to compensate for exercise, but sadly we just don't burn as much as we think with exercise.

I agree with you lottie...I haven't read that article but I would have to believe that a case where you are not eating enough, and gaining weight would be pretty rare.

lottie63
02-26-2011, 09:57 AM
I agree with you lottie...I haven't read that article but I would have to believe that a case where you are not eating enough, and gaining weight would be pretty rare.

I think that you can gain by not eating enough if you are holding on to calories but I do find this situation to be more rare and far less extreme than most people think. I find it to be as often reported by people as "I"m just gaining muscle." a friend 'gained 8 lbs of muscle" in two weeks, that would take about 6 months for a woman. heh...for a trainer to say that was the case for the OP, well, I'd be iffy about the trainer.

sick_n_tired
02-26-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm a firm believer that the "starvation mode" is a myth.

As a matter of fact, google "starvation mode myth".

If it was true, people who are lost at sea or the desert or are in horrible 3rd world prisons would be chunky monkeys.

Anyhow, I too think you need to journal & account for ever single morsel that passes your lips - including fluids. My guess is, is that if you do journal one week, be on track calorie wise & exercise wise ... you'll have a loss at the end of the week.

Ten Years
02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
I am kinda cracking up at the "she's undereating" posts. Really? You can UNDEREAT yourself a gain of 10 pounds? Wow, I must have been REALLY undereating to gain 145 pounds....

"Starvation mode" is a terrible, terrible crutch for dieters.

oodlesofnoodles
02-26-2011, 01:58 PM
I totally understand where youre coming from. I went through this recently. For me, it was just taking a while for my body to get used to all the lifing I was doing. But if you swear you think you're eating careful portions, than maybe you're not eating enough. ESPECIALLY if you're doing weights. If you weren't exercising at all you could lose on that many cals. The fact that you are working out frequently and doing strength training makes me think you need more food. After all, you need energy to not only make up the composition of those muscles, but to create them and run them.

And just to let you know I'm not full of it, I work out a lot too and eat 1600-1700 cals and I'm losing (or dropping inches) pretty regularly.

You could also post a sample menu and we could give you feedback from there. But whatever you do, don't give up. It's frustrating, it will pass!

EvilGidget
02-26-2011, 02:10 PM

twinmommaplus one, I have to be honest here. I was a little taken aback by your post. Maybe some people respond to "tough love" where weight issues are concerned, but I am not one of them. I delt with it with my family my whole life including childhood.... and this type of commentary is just what would send me spiraling back into binge mode. I realize that you were probably just trying to help, but please understand that some people are much more sensitive than others and don't respond well to criticism. I came here for support.

the posts about excuses aren't true. i remember some posts when she was talking about SUCCESS! and i'm really proud of the success that the OP has had. Don't give up! Thank you Katy Trail, I am glad that someone noticed. I try to support others on here as well as seek support.

Thank you all for your advise and support. I have tracked yesterday and today on thedailyplate.com (great site... thank you Razorbackbritt for suggesting it!) I think most of you are right, I think I'm eating too much and just not realizing it. Just in 2 days, I have struggled to stay at 1500 calories, so I'm sure I was going way over without counting. I will do it for a while and see if I can get good enough to be able to only do it one week per month... maybe that will help with the problem of not wanting to do it the rest of my life.

Also, I totally agree with shannonmb... If I give up... I will not like the result. I know I will just be bigger than I was before, so... I'm not giving up.

Thank you all for your support!

fattymcfatty
02-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey Gidget, at least you've got to the bottom of the problem. Now you can focus on moving forward. Don't let TwinMomma's "tough love" get you down and an excuse to binge. Use it as motivation.

I've been a calorie counter, but oftentimes I do estimate. I also do not count fruits and vegetables. This has been working for me so far, but now I am getting closer to goal and I am trying for the next few weeks to be more diligent on counting the calories. I'm making sure I don't exceed 1700 right now. Think about the things you might consume everyday. I always prepare my coffee the same way, and now I know each cup I drink has 50 calories. My veggie burgers I often have for lunch are 350 calories the way I prepare them. 2oz of turkey meat is 60 calories, and so on. Some things now are automatic, it doesn't take me long to figure the calories.

I agree with the other advice on here to prepare your week's meals in advance if possible, or maybe eat the same things over the course of a week, to keep things easier. Perhaps your breakfast/lunch/snacks are figured already and you only have to total up your dinner, etc.

Good luck to you, and keep going!!!

twinmommaplusone
02-26-2011, 04:08 PM
My "tough love' sending you into binge mode-would indeed be a very sad thing for you. The best part of losing any amount of weight is the momentum you gain from each strength and step forward. You have already lost some weight, how did you do it, how did taking those steps stop you from continuing to take those same steps for more? Do not think for one second that losing weight for anyone is ever easy. Each person that loses puts in the effort, sacrfices and faces the same amount of challenges as you do. Often times we stand in our own way, we create excuses on why Life has gotten in the way of what we say we want. Saying and Doing are two seperate things. I say to you- Go back to what you did (if it was healhty?) and keep doing it. Stop doing what you are doing now, it's not working, obviously. Stop making excuses and put your foot down and take it day by day, meal by meal. No one here can ever begin to tell you what you are not doing right/wrong. We dont' know have a camcorder on your life when you are working out or when/how you might be eating!

Bottom Line, you Can't make posts like these about wondering why something hasnt work when you are not on a active plan for change.

I'm glad you are tracking- keep it going, start moving more and ultimately I hope you can enjoy healthy foods, find that eating healthy feels wonderful, that moving feels awesome and find yourself an activity that you can get excited about!

Good Luck to you!

Trazey34
02-26-2011, 04:14 PM
hey gidget, glad it was a bit of a 'lightbulb' moment on the calorie counting. As to the other unpleasantness, if I can pass on one piece of tough love myself, I'm a firm believer that OTHER PEOPLE can't 'make' us do anything, it's our reactions to things right?

I would much rather see you tell someone who hurt your feelings to go F**K themselves than ever turn it inward and do damage to yourself :) Once you practice it a few times it becomes a way of life LOL don't let peeps mess with ya ;)

jomatho
02-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I agree, this is supposed to be a support forum. A place to ask questions, post about struggles and look for answers. We all benefit from encouragment and useful information/ideas. You had every right to post your question and I am sure it helped or will help others. I am glad you got your answer and hope the scale starts moving in the right direction again!

carter
02-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Thank you all for your advise and support. I have tracked yesterday and today on thedailyplate.com (great site... thank you Razorbackbritt for suggesting it!) I think most of you are right, I think I'm eating too much and just not realizing it. Just in 2 days, I have struggled to stay at 1500 calories, so I'm sure I was going way over without counting. I will do it for a while and see if I can get good enough to be able to only do it one week per month... maybe that will help with the problem of not wanting to do it the rest of my life.

I'm really glad to hear this - I'm glad you were willing to put in the time to give it a try, and that it's given you some good data as to what might have been going wrong. Don't worry about the rest of your life - just worry about staying on plan today. Then tomorrow you can worry about tomorrow. I hope you sort it all out and get it back on track soon.

Nola Celeste
02-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Hey, the good news is that you found out exactly what was keeping you off track on the first shot. :)

Counting really isn't bad. It sounds fairly awful to me to think, "You'll have to do this the rest of your life, you know," but on the other hand, when I ate mindlessly, it was still in the back of my head that I was eating far, far too much--I just wasn't letting myself consciously pay attention. Would I rather deal with nagging subconscious guilt from eating stuff I knew was calorie-dense or would I rather face it dead-on and acknowledge my high-calorie foods, account for them, and fit them in to my day guilt-free?

I'm on 1500 calories a day myself and am finding it easy most days; if you'd like any recipe or snack suggestions, I have plenty that keep me full and my mouth happy. :)

Congratulations on pinpointing the issue and being willing to put forth the effort to find and change things. :bravo:

Laffalot
02-26-2011, 07:48 PM
:) Hi - I also find writing down everything that goes in my mouth (& being truthful) really helps. I have it on my fridge where I can keep track. And maybe setting small goals, not the whole picture might help too. Dieting is hard for sure. But being unhealthy is worse. Whatever you chose - GOOD LUCK! :wave:

Celyia
02-26-2011, 07:57 PM
I was pretty aghast at the idea of counting everything I ate. But I think it's one of those things that sounds far more laborious and grueling than it actually is.

Taking 15-30 min a week to decide on a meal plan -really- helps me with this. in addition to a meal plan, I have staple meals that I know the counts for that I can switch in or out at a moments notice if I either don't feel like a certain meal one night or if I had too many calories at some point and need to tone things down a bit.

Like anything, calorie counting becomes a lot faster with practice and after a while, it'll become easier.

Counting calories is like sex: it hurts at first, but after a while, you wonder how anyone lives without it. ;-)

sept15lija
02-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Counting calories is like sex: it hurts at first, but after a while, you wonder how anyone lives without it. ;-)

:lol: Too funny!!

shannonmb
02-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Way to go, Gidget! I'm so glad you decided to give it a try, and I do believe once we get a really good idea of what 1500 calories look like in a day by keeping close track at first, then you can start experimenting with not logging everything. Then you have that awesome tool to whip out any time you suspect you might be a bit off.

Also, I just wanted to mention that if you are eating all your fruits and veggies, lean protein, complex carbs, you are bound to feel a bit deprived at first when cutting back some. But the beauty of it for me is that it really can be something that you get used to after a couple weeks, and then all of a sudden you realize you aren't white-knuckling it anymore and it's *almost* easy most of the time.

Keep up the great work!!! :D

theox
02-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Good job, Gidget. Let us know how it goes.

"Tough love" (which isn't, usually) has never worked for me either. It didn't necessarily make me inclined to binge, but it did make me wonder why I would want to bother losing weight if it meant associating more with impatient, judgemental people, especially if it might result in them thinking that their arrogance and lack of sensitivity were actually helpful, effective, or justified. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to set people straight (or at least tell them to Foxtrot Oscar) and get on with what you're about, regardless of their behavior and opinions.

I think everyone's suggestions to watch your calories are right on. Hopefully that will help you get heading in the direction you want to be going in, and if not, then you've at least ruled it out as a suspect in your recent gain. Keep up the good work.

EvilGidget
02-26-2011, 11:14 PM
I appreciate everyone's advise. I think calorie counting is just going to have to be part of my life for a while. I have done well today and yesterday, but I can see that maybe I was having too much before and just not realizing it. So... hopefully I'm back "on track" now and hopefully the scale will agree in a few days / weeks... we will see ;)

ParadiseFalls
02-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Edit to exclude my shpiel about counting and measuring. Looks like you're already sold :D

Also, I wouldn't automatically dismiss starvation mode. It's true that EVENTUALLY your body has to lose if its being starved, but we never ACTUALLY starve our bodies when we're in starvation mode. It happens to me as reliably as clockwork. If I eat too little for several weeks, I stall. When I start eating right, I lose.

That said, I've never eaten too little, exercised and gained. I've eaten too little and not lost after a few weeks, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. The only way to know if you're too high or low is to track it.

Also (and I think this is extremely important) please make sure you're drinking enough water. 64oz doesn't cut it for me, and I don't even exercise. I lose most consistently when I'm drinking 88ish ounces a day. I would suggest trying to drink 100 oz. a day for a week or so and see what happens. I HATE drinking water, and I have to force myself to drink a few cups here and there throughout the day, my weight loss sucks without water.

theox
02-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Also (and I think this is extremely important) please make sure you're drinking enough water. 64oz doesn't cut it for me, and I don't even exercise. I lose most consistently when I'm drinking 88ish ounces a day. I would suggest trying to drink 100 oz. a day for a week or so and see what happens. I HATE drinking water, and I have to force myself to drink a few cups here and there throughout the day, my weight loss sucks without water.

Good point, ParadiseFalls.