Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Getting fitted for running shoes?

I know this is silly, and something I have to get over, but I feel anxious about getting fitted for running shoes. Like the person who needs to fit me will think, she is obese, she shouldn't be running. My shoes now are starting to get painful in the pinky tow area though and I am in deserate need of new ones.

Any tips on getting over this anxious feeling of someone feeling around my feet, and or judging me?

How many have been fitted for running shoes?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #2  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

I go to a specialty running store for my running shoes. Yes, most people at running stores are skinny, but I've seen bigger people at some of the stores. I say just do it, just go to the store, take the plunge and I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised by how down to earth and friendly the staff are, at least all the running stores I have ever been to they have been- runners in general seem to be a nice people, in my experience. Maybe go during the day (Mon-Fri) when it's quieter. You may be bigger, but at least you're taking steps to become healthier, so screw what anyone thinks! You could take a friend for some added comfort.

Last edited by bananapancakes; 02-25-2011 at 12:37 PM.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Right there with you, sister! I was SO anxious the first time I went to get fitted for shoes. I thought they would be so rude, or otherwise incredulous that I was buying running shoes. I was totally psyching myself out.

The actual experience was pretty painless. I felt no judgment, in fact, no mention at all was made of my size (I think I was about 160-165 then?). The shoes were expensive, but worth every penny.

It's so tempting to let fear hold you back, but we have to show fear who's boss! Go get some shoes!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

When I first began running, I did get fitted at a specialty running shop. As everyone else has mentioned, the folks couldn't have been nicer. It was so cool in that they videotaped me running on their treadmill (don't fret -- it was just from the calves down) to assess my gait and whether I pronate, supinate, and so forth.
It was a great (and insightful) experience. Have fun!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote