Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - favorite food discovery??

View Full Version : favorite food discovery??

hope4balance
02-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Hi All,

What are some of your favorite food discoveries on your weight loss journey? Growing up, I didn't eat many traditionally healthy foods. Our home-cooked meals usually involved ground beef, potatoes, and some sort of canned veggie. Now that I am cooking more and eating healthier, I'm am discovering a ton of foods that I LOVE... Foods that I wouldn't have tried before.

Some of my favorites are brussels sprouts (so tasty!), spinach, quinoa, and flavored teas.

How about you? I'd love ideas on what to try next!

:)

dorothy52
02-24-2011, 04:40 PM
I just discovered baked chick peas as a snack. Who would think but they are delicious. Season them with whatever you like. Try to avoid the salts. Drain, bake the crap out of them so that they are crisp and they are wonderful veggie toppers along with just plain good snack food.

MonicaM
02-24-2011, 04:44 PM
I love steamed cauliflower with two or three wedges of Laughing Cow or the new Weight Watchers flavored cheese spreads and spaghetti squash used in place of pasta. I also like vegetables sprayed with a little ollive oil and roasted....asparagas, butternut squash chunks, brussel sprouts all taste really good roasted.

Shannon in ATL
02-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Ooo, I love roasted brussel sprouts.

losermom
02-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Cabbage! Who knew? I love it in soups/stews and stir-fried with olive oil, onions & garlic, S & P. The stir-fried is awesome straight up (I just had a bowl for a snack), hot or cold or in a wrap with laughing cow cheese and deli meats--yummers! It's also good with laughing cow cheese spread on a big leaf and rolled up.

My kids are nuts for brussel sprouts (and lima beans--eww) so that is not new to me. What can I tell you? My kids are freaks for their veggies.

beerab
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Peas and Green beans- never used to be a fan of either but now I can't get enough of them :D

Jen516
02-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Spinach! I put chopped up spinach in almost every meal now. My new fav green is arugula!
String Cheese - never liked it much before, now it is nearly a daily event.
Lemon Juice - on tons of stuff, anything that needs a bit of spark flavor wise. It's surprisingly good on a baked potato!
Red Pepper Flakes
My breakfast sandwiches - Turkey/Avocado/Apple on CinnamonRaisinEnglishMuffin OR Ham/Cheddar/Apple on WheatEnglishMuffin
I liked quinoa already, but now I love it!
Green Salsa

DisgruntledOne
02-24-2011, 07:22 PM
i've been lucky I have always liked healthy food. For me I like healthy food but love fried food. So the only thing I probably wouldn't have tried normally is steel cut oats. Doesn't even sound good but surprisingly delicious.

katy trail
02-25-2011, 10:08 AM
note to self......write 5 pages on this topic. lol! i could go on and on!

hope4balance
02-25-2011, 10:45 AM
I just discovered baked chick peas as a snack. Who would think but they are delicious. Season them with whatever you like. Try to avoid the salts. Drain, bake the crap out of them so that they are crisp and they are wonderful veggie toppers along with just plain good snack food.

That sounds delicious! Do you have any suggestions for a seasoning?

hope4balance
02-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Spinach! I put chopped up spinach in almost every meal now. My new fav green is arugula!
String Cheese - never liked it much before, now it is nearly a daily event.
Lemon Juice - on tons of stuff, anything that needs a bit of spark flavor wise. It's surprisingly good on a baked potato!
Red Pepper Flakes
My breakfast sandwiches - Turkey/Avocado/Apple on CinnamonRaisinEnglishMuffin OR Ham/Cheddar/Apple on WheatEnglishMuffin
I liked quinoa already, but now I love it!
Green Salsa

Those breakfest sandwiches sound amazing! I never thought to put apple on a breakfast sandwich, but I am definitely going to give it a try!

hope4balance
02-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all of these responses... I have definitely added some great foods to my grocery list this week. I especially can't wait to try cabbage and cauliflower!

nelie
02-25-2011, 10:51 AM
That sounds delicious! Do you have any suggestions for a seasoning?

This is my favorite recipe :
http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/10/tamari-roasted-chickpeas.html

Slim CB
02-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Just bought kale at the store yesterday. I will be cooking it over the weekend....hopefully I like it.

katy trail
02-25-2011, 11:13 AM
i love kale in soups! spinach and other greens get all mushy, but kale keeps some texture :) minestrone or any beans and greens soup works great. i've also heard great things about kale chips.

nelie
02-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I love kale. Massaged kale salad is awesome as well as garlicky sauteed kale.

JenMusic
02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Lots of foods, but the biggest surprise to me was butternut squash. Growing up, I got hives just thinking of squash - to my child-brain, even the name sounded gross! :) Somehow that thinking stuck around when I became an adult and I was resistant to trying it. BUT, once I did, I learned that it's pretty much the most delicious food ever. How sad for me, missing out for so long. :lol:

Kateryna
02-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Wasabi peas and steamed edamame beans are my favourite right now. Specially when I want junk food I oversalt edamame and add black pepper for some heat.

Also, really loved baked acorn squash, so easy to make and tastes so buttery. Next is spaghetti squash on my list.

Also, adding lemon juice on top of baked brussel sprouts eliminates bitterness ;-)

tommy
02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
I always loved vegetables and fruits. I think roasting as a technique has been an eye opener. About the only vegetable we never ate as I was growing up were winter squashes so the world of butternut, kabocha etc has expanded my veggie world. The product that has become a staple for me are the shirataki noodles- both the regular and the ones with tofu.

ArcticFrogs
03-01-2011, 01:10 AM
The product that has become a staple for me are the shirataki noodles

We've been wanting to try these, but they don't seem to make it this far North...maybe it's because they're packed in liquid? I attempted to order some from AsianFoodGrocer.com and, while they would ship it, they posted a large advisory warning that shipping in cold weather could ruin the product/cause the packaging to leak.

Have you ever come across dry ones? Is that even possible (I don't know much about them)?

indiblue
03-01-2011, 03:14 AM
Mine would definitely be cauliflower. There are awesome vegetable-dense, low-calorie cauliflower puree soups and creamed cauliflower recipes out there. I hate the taste of raw cauliflower but cooked and creamed with low fat milk or a potato it's delicious!

Awesome thread :)

WeightForMe
03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Sweet potato fries! I actually prefer them to regular fries now!

Serval87
03-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Quinoa in place of rice,
Spaghetti squash in place of pasta noodles,
Spinach (I buy it frozen and fresh. It goes good with anything),
Garlic (we are nuts for this stuff),
Clementines,
Greek yogurt,
Arugula,
Cauliflower (I make pizza crust out of it, but it also would taste good as a mashed potato replacement),
I also like those wheat sandwich buns. I like to top them with deli meat turkey, slices of avocado, alfalfa sprouts, and some kind of creamy white cheese. :)