Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

Default When you exceed your calories question

I have a question I'd love some opinions on:

If I have a specific calorie goal per day, and I go above it by 1 or 2 hundred calories for a day or two (so I have a 400 calorie overage), should I try to create a deficit over the remaining week to make up for it - like cutting 100 cal/day for 4 days? Or do I just say tough and try not to do it again going forward? I don't want to screw up my plan, but I also don't want to set myself up for a binge.
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I do the same as you are doing provided that my overage is not too big.
200 - 400 calories can easily be subracted by dividing the over the course of a week. In my opinion it helps build self discipline.

Larry,
-----------------
When friends tell you how awesome you look, drop the "I still have more to go" crap. You worked hard and you deserve the compliment! ~Jillian Michaels
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

You could also create that deficit by excercising! An hour workout could easily create a 200-400 calorie deficit depending on what you do and how intensely you do it.
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #4  

Thank you! I'm going to try to spread out the deficit over the next few days. I try not to eat back my exercise calories because I always seem to gain when I do that.... I swear my body must burn virtually no calories when I work out!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #5  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Well, I try to have a calorie range, rather than a goal, so it's harder to go over. If I do go over, I try to eat closer to the bottom of my range for a few days. If there's a day where I go way over (like Christmas or Thanksgiving), I try to eat at the bottom for every other day that week.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippychick View Post
Thank you! I'm going to try to spread out the deficit over the next few days. I try not to eat back my exercise calories because I always seem to gain when I do that.... I swear my body must burn virtually no calories when I work out!

lol. I promise that is not it.

There are a couple of options, first you are working out (lifting) and your body is retaining water for muscle repair. Everyone does that when they start, but of course, it evens out.

Secondly, it may be that it's increasing your hunger signals and you are unwittingly eating more. Exercise, by itself, does not really burn that many calories, so a couple of bites of the wrong things more than makes up for any calories you have burned.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

To add to what katy mentioned, lifting also makes you feel good regardless of what you ate! You feel strong, you see some muscle definition, and it gets your metabolism going.

I went over by 200 cals the other day, had an excellent strength training session and have no regrets about going over (and I'm still losing). Even walking at a good pace for an hour would take care of those calories easy!

Plus, calorie counting is not an exact formula. You can't be too hard on yourself for going over 100-200 for a couple days. It's a lifestyle, stay positive and get right back on to plan. GL!
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #8  

I'm trying not to be a militant freak about counting my calories - because, yes, as you said, it's got to be a permanent lifestyle that I can live with. I am just so guilty of rationalizing especially when I used to eat back exercise calories. When I would go for a hike, LoseIt and FitDay would be telling me to eat back 2,000+ calories. There's no way I was burning that many calories. I'm like the missing link between woman and slug. Lol!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

I try to even it out but usually I just provoke a binge by doing that so now I started to try to exercise I off.

Sometimes I dont at all and just forget about it and move on.
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #10  
Elena-Aria<3

S/C/G: 163/ticker/115

Height: 5ft2

I would add a workout to make up for it because I know personally that would make me too obsessed if I tryed to divide it over the course of the week and I might end up bingeing. good luck
Elenaaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #11  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

I think it's best not to obsess over it too much. 200 extra calories over the course of a week isn't going to make much difference either way. For me, this isn't about perfection on a daily basis, it's about being accountable over the long haul.

I too, shoot for a range rather than an exact number. If I find I'm going a little over the top end of my range for more than a couple of days, I will try to balance it out a bit somewhere else (this often happens naturally...I eat a little more on weekends, but I usually do pretty well during the workweek.) I also try not to eat back my exercise calories, but if I've worked out hard, I don't beat myself up over an extra (healthy) snack if I'm really hungry.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #12  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I really like what NorthernExposure said. It IS about the long haul. I think it has to be something you can live with in the long term, and sometimes that means absorbing an extra couple hundred calories every once in a while. Chances are they'll be offset by the days on which you under-eat by a couple hundred, so no harm, no foul.

If it makes you feel better, you could subtract those calories from your next few days of eating, but sometimes it's also important to get used to going with the flow a little.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

you could just consider it calorie cycling, which some people do to keep the body guessing and avoid plateaus.

Lately I've been more relaxed with my calories, meaning I'm trying not to stress over a little more or even a little less, as long as I'm between 1000-1800 calories of healthy food I'll call it a good day. I notice I lose weight more steadily this way..maybe not stressing over it too much helps.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #14  

I watch my week's average and care mostly about the month's average. I have a program that automatically does all my counts and provides reports as I need them. One day's count doesn't matter as much. Give yourself flexibility or you'll end up hitting a brick wall.
martinimouse is offline   Reply With Quote