Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 12:08 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down BFL/BB #80 - week of 9 Dec 02

Howdy y'all - I'm back!!

Wow what a busy weekend!!! Horse shows are a lot of work but they are so much fun! YEAH!

Of course I didn't win any ribbons - wasn't expecting to - the classes were FILLED and this was just a chance to get my feet wet and gauge my progress in riding - kind of like an examination. I'm already looking forward to doing this again - as soon as I can afford to that is - showing can be pretty expensive even on the schooling level - hauling Sneaky from Woodside to Vacaville was the expensive part of this for me.

I was EXHAUSTED by the time we got home yesterday - and fell asleep by 8:00 last night - part of that probably had to do with not really eating too much with all the hustle and bustle pre-show.

Back on track today though with a chest/tris workout and some cardio...

Got to get some work done here and then I'll spend a bit of time looking through this weekend's posts. Later everyone!
Old 12-09-2002, 07:35 PM   #2  
Mel

Default Monday

Did the first day of my reconfigured workout to make moore time for running. Chest and back- whew, I'd forgotten how tiring doing those together is!

Have eaten clean since my cookies and peanuts blowout of last week, but somehow that incident grew to 2 pounds on the scale Will have to be super clean all week so I can fit into a tight strappy black dress for Saturday night's neighborhood xmas party!

Karen- Sounds like you had a good time at the show! Glad it went well.

ledom- you're on the homestretch!

where is everybody?????

mel
Old 12-09-2002, 08:26 PM   #3  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Yay! The home stretch! How is everone else doing? I made it though the day w/out caving in to any bad thing. D conveniently left the last piece of her godiva chocolate on the coffee table, well it's still there. I am about to bag that baby up and put it outta my sight.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:42 PM   #4  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Just got back from the gym. Had a pretty good LBW. No tens but at least a couple 8's or 9's. Not too bad! Eating pretty clean, with a few misses. Oh well, back on track now!
Virginia
Old 12-09-2002, 11:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/140

Height: Height: 5'4"

Default hey!

I've gotten over my flu and am back at her today!!! I'm kinda glad we decided to go an extra week as we had most of last week off (sick) Did try to eat clean, but there were some slips ..... Anyhow, gonna finish strong. Going to the basement to do LBW in about 5 minutes. I expect to be sore tomorrow!!!

Mel. - Thanks for the invite to the L&S thread. I just may take you up on it, but I'm not sure. A little gun shy about posting on L&S ....

Ledom - I totally know what you mean re: others noticing. I had to endure my dh's entire family going on for a whole weekend about how wonderful he looks, while I (with a 20 lbs loss, pre BFL) was ignored. But really, the sun does shine out of -his- a$$ apparently! Anyhow, my fat loss and improved physique has finally been noticed, sadly, by someone I detest. But a compliment is a compliment. DH and I were just laughing over it the other day. I had been complaining for ever about how no one has noticed and he said "I'll bet blablabla will notice" And he did!!!!! Ugh .... Anyhow, I think it is nice to have others give independent confirmation of what I think .. that I am getting smaller. When I looked in the mirror before BFL I saw a fat blob, and when I look in the mirror now, I still see a fat blob. I still look the same, to my eyes, just smaller, but a fat blob nonetheless. I wonder if I will ever be happy, or will I always see fat even when I am done? I've kinda wandered off the topic here... I don't think we need the compliments or noticing, but is nice and affirming to receive them.

Karen: glad you had a good time at the show! Too bad the really fun things always seem to be the expensive ones.

Patt
Old 12-10-2002, 12:38 AM   #6  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Post Hey girls!

Nice to see you all and hear that you are doing well!

Karen: Glad that your show went well! I bet it was very exciting.

I had a great but very busy weekend. Loads of shopping and cooking and catching up with people. I had a birthday party on Saturday night which was fun as well - it was next to the Harbour so it was very beautiful at night.

Hubby was fighting the bushfires all weekend so I didn't get to see much of him unfortunately.

I have a company dinner tonight so I am not looking forward to that. Diet is pretty much back on track but the long days at work are making the workouts non-existant. It doesn't help that I strained my right quad either. Hopefully once everything settles down over the next few days I will get back on track properly.

It must be that time of the year!

JC
Old 12-10-2002, 01:56 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down Happy Tuesday!

I dunno...but I feel the FIRE coming back in me!!!

I think my horseshow was the turning point for me...but I've been drinking water like a desert, had a great quads/hams workout right next to Michelle, the Buff Chick at our gym (she is super nice though - great to talk to - and very understanding of my 'nutritional issues'!).

Hope everyone else is having a great day...this afternoon during my lunch break I'm going to see my sister - I have to get a Christmas present for my MIL, and she LOVES my sister's stuff - Jen is a very well known and talented floral designer and does the most beautiful dried flower/plant arrangements - wreaths, groups, etc (wish I could post her weblink here so I could show off how talented baby sis is - but don't want to break the forum rules).

Later this afternoon at work, the annual Holiday Event will be on - it should be good - it was being set up all day yesterday. Our company always does a holiday theme - in 2000 it was Dickens/Victorian Holiday; last year because of 9/11 there was no event; however, this year they are going ALL OUT and the theme will be "Jolly Hollywood Holiday" featuring movies like Miracle on 34th Street, The Grinch, It's a Wonderful Life, Holiday Inn, etc. Hopefully it will get me into the Christmas Spirit!!! Have a great day y'all!
Old 12-10-2002, 05:25 PM   #8  

Wink hello!

Sounds like everyone is getting back on track! yeah! Me too. My workout pard started a new job 2 weeks ago and I had my Thanksgiving train wreck that lasted a week and a half, so my workouts have been next to nothing and eating has been not so good either. However, they are both right on these last few days. I cannot believe how much my workouts have changed since I missed a few days. They seem so much harder - just one more reason to not miss any!

Karen, glad you had fun at the show. I sure miss horses. I used to go with my mom to her lessons and shows when I was a tyke. I also had a business on a polo club for a while and loved it there. My office was above the indoor arena - what a blast!

Patt0, please come on over to L&S. I love it there. So dang much info and helpful people over there too. I cannot tell you how much I've learned over there.

Glad I found you guys!
Old 12-10-2002, 10:26 PM   #9  

Default hiya

Niffer: oh yes, I read L&S every day. You are quite right about the depth of knowledge and support there. I am just not sure if I want to post there.

I did my first lifting session after missing a week (sick) and I was surprised at how strong I felt. I thought I would be weak, but it wasn't the case. I am glad. Just starting to get stiff now, I lifted about 24 hours ago, so we will see if I pushed hard enough.

Patt.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:07 AM   #10  
Chick

Default goodmoring,

Patt that is so funny that the person that you don't like noticed. Perhaps this person likes you more than you like him? I'm just saying, the people who have noticed for me so far are people that kinda keep an eye on me anyway and seem to like me. By the way - 3 (conut'em 3) people said something to me yesterday. Just when I thought no one was noticing. Actually, seems as if week 11 might be the charm, I have noticed a change this week as well. And no, the scale does not really reflect what I'm thinking.

Glad to hear the gang is getting back into swing of things.

JC, was it your birthday party?!? If so, Happy Birthday. Hope your drought and hot weather breaks soon.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:07 AM   #11  

Arrow eating well

Hey everyone,

Glad to hear that everyone is getting in the swing of things.
I am still doing my best to eat well. I haven't had any slip ups. I just need to be careful on my day off. I realize that if the junk is in my house and I am bored...i will eat it. Sunday's is usually a pretty relaxing and lazy day for me. So i can't keep junk in the house b/c i have no self control. LoL.

I am feeling like I have not lost lately...but i think i am not steping on the scales b/c i am afraid that it will not read any different. *shrug*...well I am on week number 8 of challenge one and i have plans to do a second one. how long do ppl wait before starting another challenge? my friend said that she thought it was one week...is that right?

I also had a fit test at my gym and i rocked the sit ups and push-ups...did twice as many as i did when i started at the gym....i was very impressed with myself.

one_sweetchick
Old 12-11-2002, 06:57 PM   #12  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Ledom: No it was a friends birthday!

OSC: Take as long a break as you need to recharge you. Some people take one week, some don't. Personally I take a week off every 8-10 weeks now but that's just me and I am no longer following the guidelines of the BFL challenge these days.

Hope everyone's week is going well!

JC
Old 12-11-2002, 07:58 PM   #13  
Mel

Default Wednesday

Yahoo! Middle of the week and no slips since my rebellious cookie binge last Wednesday Just can't figure out still whom I'm rebelling against. I got on the scale this morning (I am a slightly reformed scale-o-holic) and am at the lowest I've ever seen. Everytime this has happened, I've gone slightly haywire and sabotaged myself, but I am determined I WILL NOT do that this time!

Had an awesome leg workout today with Robert the Dungeon Master who growled at me for trying to turn myself into a runner for a month. He is of the firm opinion that cardio, especially long distance running is bad for the soul and the body, particularly hard earned muscle. He's most likely right, but I want to do this, and at this point (oh heresy!) have muscle to spare. But he did reluctantly design an new LBWO for me to do high volume work, keeping the heart pumping, and make sure my hams and glutes don't suffer from distance days. Did 7 miles last Saturday, so this weekend I'll try for 8. Boy is it ever boring, tho!

JC- Hope your quad is healing, that life is a little less hectic, and your back where you want to be.

ledom- Yup, I think week 11 is the magic one! That's when I started really feeling different, then even through rest week I got leaner. But I ate very clean for rest week. I think my big splurges were too many almonds one night and a sushi dinner another night.

OSC- I've never taken more than a week off, except between C2 and C3 when I was on a bicycling vacation in France. I ate and drank alot, but also spent about 6 hours a day pedalling. Maybe there is something to the red wine theory, because I was putting away cheese, foie gras, duck and a few desserts, but only gained 1 pound. I did take an unscheduled week off from the gym during what turned into an endless C3 because of burnout. I'm afraid if I took time off over the holidays, I'd really lose it nutritionally. I don't know when your challenge is ofically over, but if it were me, I'd keep up the training and food discipline and take a week off afterwards. That's probably exactly the opposite of what most people plan, but it works for me.

Patt- It's weird, but sometime I think you come back stronger after a week off, even if you were sick.

Niffer- I can't stand the guessing anymore:who are you on L&S???

Karen- Kudo's on getting your drive back. Seemed like for a while the gym didn't hold your interest anymore. You need muscles for those horses!

off to supervise homework-
mel
Old 12-11-2002, 08:17 PM   #14  
Chick

Default Hey,

I just had to hop back on here and talk bodybuilding a little bit. I am becoming so impressed w/ my strength when it comes to squats. Now I know when I say my #'s some of you are going to think "big deal", but here goes. I squatted 95# this morning. I think I could do even more if I weren't alone, and I will eventually. I do feel so powerful doing those squats though. I just love the rotation w/ squats and lunges. I am learning about my soreness factor. I seem to get sore the first week of a rotation and then it goes away. What I feel afterwards is something different from sore, just an awareness of my muscles I guess. My legs feel like they should be the tightest most beautiful legs in the world, of course they are far from that.

I did such a half@$$ job of recording my statistics when I started this challenge. Quite frankly I even guessed at what I weighed because I was scared to weigh for the first week. I got around to doing measurements about the 3rd week and even then forgot to take hip measurements. There are no before pics. I want to get that part of the next challenge right.

Mel, I am trying not to think about free week too much until I get there. I will go ahead and stop at 12. I sure see the sense of what you are saying, but I also think that I need the rest. I am sure you'll be hearing how it is going when I get there. I don't have the feeling that I will blow all my hard work though.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:13 AM   #15  

Default A Free Moment

Wow, ledom, 95# that is pretty cool. I haven't even attempted it. I'm afraid I will fall over, and kill myself. I've put 110# on the bar to do angled calf raises (which is too light for that lift) and the bar seems really heavy. I don't know if I could squat it or not - I'm afraid to try. I'm beginning to think that this is purely a mental limitation not physical. Next challange I think I will set a goal to try and squat as heavy as I can. Right now, I'm doing leg raises on a bench for quads and stiff leg dead lifts for hams.

I haven't told anybody that I am working out and eating properly, I kinda just want people to notice when they do. I think if I told everyone what I was doing, my friends would be commenting and stuff, but I wouldn't quite trust it because I would feel that they were just being encourgaging. This way, when they do notice, the comments will be genuine! Although, it -was- genuine from detesto boy ....... sigh ........

Mel, ya I remember you saying that you come back stronger after a rest week. I wasn't expecting it though. I too was the lightest I've ever been this am!!!! I broke the 170's and weighed in at 168. I still use the scale, but I am not really worried about the number. I started this challange at 177 and spent the first 10 weeks at 177 +/- 2 until now. I think the scale can be used as one of several tools to gage one's weight/size. There is a problem with all tools. Calipers give some really funky readings sometimes, and I can never get the hang of a measuring tape, like how tight do you pull it? I can get a huge range of readings for my waist. The pant-o-meter is ok, but I can't figure out how the size of clothing compares to jean sizes. I used to wear a 30 inch waist jean (have several pairs in the cupboard). When I started this challange I was wearing 38 inch waist jeans. They were a little too large, but as I was shopping at Value Village that was all that was available. I am now wearing size 14 jeans, also a VV find. But my question is how does this size compare to inch waist sizes? I used to think this 34 jeans is a size 14 in dress pants. So 30 jeans would be size 10. However when I went to the store to try on some new jeans, I couldn't fit into 34's eventhough I am wearing size 14 right now!!!! I can't seem to figure this out. Although I do know that my current jeans are too big for me, so hurray!!!!!!! I'm getting smaller!!!!!!!

Niffer: yes, who are you on L&S? Curious minds ........

Oh, I want to explain my subject line. This eveing we were at the mall visiting Santa, (my Dd has just lost her two front teeth!) and stopped to get a treat for the kids. Dh and I ordered coffee and the children had icecream cones, and before you know it I had a lick of Ds's AcKKKKK what was I doing????? DS said quite calmly "You are having a free moment" Ha aha ha ha!!!! Man, gotta watch out for those free moments too !!!!

Patt.
Closed Thread