Alternachicks - Yay! I exercised today!

View Full Version : Yay! I exercised today!

mauvaisroux
12-09-2002, 10:23 AM
This thread is to help us get focused on movin' and losin'.

We can all post daily and give ourselves a pat on the back and each other some motivation!

mauvaisroux
12-09-2002, 11:43 AM
I walked to work today even though it is -28C with the wind! :)

ellis
12-09-2002, 03:07 PM
I went to the Y this morning. Just did a cardio workout (no weights), but I burned 500 calories.
I'm very proud of myself... the most I've been able to run is 15 minutes, and today I ran for 16. AND I upped the speed for the last minute!
:dance:

katrinabgood
12-09-2002, 03:10 PM
I'm proud of you too, ellis!

ellis
12-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Thank you, Kat darling... :)

Mauvais, that wind is strong!! But it's warming up!

mauvaisroux
12-09-2002, 03:16 PM
16 minutes! Way to go Ellis :cp:

ellis
12-09-2002, 03:22 PM
Thank you, Mauvais. bow. Will you be walking home?

Wanttolosealot
12-09-2002, 03:25 PM
Way to go Ellis! Pam and I are heading to the gym tonight! Can't wait for it to snow again, so we can take the kids and go coasting. Good exersice and lots of fun!

mauvaisroux
12-09-2002, 03:26 PM
Yes, I will be walking home...BRRRR! But I have a nice long coat with a hood to keep me warm.

I just hope I don't get blown away while crossing the bridge :lol:

mauvaisroux
12-10-2002, 12:11 AM
Well I did walk home tonight and I took the stairs when I got home instead of the elevator :)

soozie
12-10-2002, 03:24 AM
I went to the gym today...well on the 9th and did 35 minutes of cardio and 35 minutes of strength training...weight machines and abs on the mat.
I'm strong!
Soozie

ellis
12-10-2002, 07:48 AM
Soozie, Mauvais, Virginia and Ellis... you girls are just doing so well in the exercise dept. Good for you!!
:dance: :cb:

Lidian
12-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Cardio kudos to you all!

I have a treadmill in the dark basement but I prefer to walk outside. I figure that it is 1/3 mile from here to the girls' school (on my old pedometer before it broke!) and I am making 8 trips today, otherwise known as 2 and 2/3 miles.

In the New Year I will resolve to lift weights regularly and work on my abdominal muscles, which I have not seen in some years!

Lidian

ellis
12-10-2002, 12:07 PM
Woof! That's GREAT, Lidian!
:cb:
I'm going to the Y again tomorrow. Today I am going to run around the house like a crazy woman picking up and putting away. And laundry. I've got about 20 loads of laundry to do...

mauvaisroux
12-10-2002, 11:53 PM
Good going Chickies :cp:

I did my usual work walk and then went for an extra 1/2 hour walk at lunch. I have to get some extra walking in before it gets too cold.

ellis
12-11-2002, 12:02 AM
Good going, Mauvais! Actually, I think it's warming up. In fact, I do believe winter is over. :D

mauvaisroux
12-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Dream on Ellis! It is only mid-December and we still have January/February to face:p

Lidian
12-11-2002, 11:21 AM
I am going to dream with Ellis, Mauvais! Every day when I haul the children out of their warm beds, I try to convince them that minus-whatever isn't really TOO cold if there's no wind!

Anyway it isn't too bad around here right now, it is actually above zero! But like Mauvais, I realize that January and February are still to come and they can be the worst months of the winter...

So actually my dears I agree with you both! You are both right.
And where is that el Nino thing anyway (I'll bet if it was el Nina the weather would be perfect)

Lidian

Lidian
12-11-2002, 11:25 AM
Oh, hang on. This thread is about exercise! Of course, the weather does figure in to it. But as for exercise...walked about 1 mile so far, probably will walk another (adding up trips to school, library etc) by the end of the day. And I run up and down the stairs at home constantly.

And there's laundry that ain't walking upstairs and hopping in the bureau drawers by itself either. (I'm dreaming about that one too!)

Lidian

ellis
12-11-2002, 11:59 AM
Good going, Lidian! You're burning calories, girl!

Every year I am just incredulous when winter hits. I was only two when we moved here, so you'd think I'd be used to it by now, but NO! I bundle my kids up, but I hate wearing boots and coats and all the rest!
I refuse to acknowledge winter. :D

Went to the Y this morning with mom. I upped my speed a little on the treadmill, and was still able to run a straight 10 minutes.
:dance:

Ruthxxx
12-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Well, today I did walk to and from the Post Office. That's only 20 minutes total but it's something. When I get the stitches out of this damned wrist, I'll take Lucy and walk longer.
I'm going for groceries today in Kingston and will hit the shopping centres too - that has to count!

tamibeep
12-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Y'all are making me feel like a big old wuss. When the sun goes down and the temperature goes below 45, I get all complainy about going outdoors. I've been a real putz about going to the gym this week, too, but I'm blaming that on the flu I'm still getting over. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.)

I wish baking cookies counted as exercise.

Lidian
12-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Tami, at least you do go to a gym! I just get in those walks because someone has to return library books, pick up kids etc. And after sundown, I'm with you - on my couch with a book (or opening a soup can and calling it dinner!)...And if you had the flu, you should take at least a week or two off!

Lidian

mauvaisroux
12-11-2002, 03:52 PM
I went for another walk at lunch :)

ellis
12-11-2002, 03:55 PM
Ruth and Mauvais, GOOD WALKING!!! :dance: :cb:

Wanttolosealot
12-11-2002, 04:57 PM
Going to the gym tonight. Did not get there yesterday, was a very busy day. But for sure going tonight!

mauvaisroux
12-12-2002, 10:27 AM
I did laundry last night and took the stairs instead of the elevator to the laundry room- that's 4-5 trips up and down. Not much but still a bit of extra exercise :)

ellis
12-14-2002, 08:07 AM
Well girls, I would like a medal. Because yesterday morning my mom called and said she couldn't make it to the Y. So I thought, "Woo hoo! I'll stay home, have coffee, a nap, maybe throw a load of laundry in."
Then my conscience took over. I hemmed and hawed for about 45 minutes. Got DH to drop me off at the Y, had a great workout (burned 550 calories), walked around Centretown and finished my Xmas shopping, and then walked home.
I'm VERY proud of myself. It's just not like me. :D

Ruthxxx
12-14-2002, 09:41 AM
Have you ever considered that you may have been invaded by an alien?
Good going, girlie! :bravo:

ellis
12-14-2002, 10:43 AM
Thank you Ruth, darling. :D
Hmmmm, that never occurred to me. An alien. I could use that to my advantage psychologically. Calling on "the alien". Oh my gosh! That's sacrilegious! damn.
I just ate an entire shawarma from last night's xmas party. DH makes the best shawarmas.
And one of his co-workers made his famous chicken curry. It has pineapple, coconut milk, coconut, red peppers... Oh, it's so creamy and wicked.
That reminds me...
my teacher/BIL was at a TGIF one night. One of his co-workers (she lives in a small town, which is NO excuse as far as I'm concerned) said to him, "Have you ever tasted curry?" He just stared at her and walked away. heh heh.

Ruthxxx
12-14-2002, 11:40 AM
Tim Curry? The guy with the LIPS? No but then I'm a small town girl too!

mauvaisroux
12-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Yay Ellis :cp: good going girl!

I did a lot of walking this weekend, danced my butt off at DH's Christmas party, and actually made it to my Belly dance class on Saturday morning despite being up to 3:30 am on Friday.

ellis
12-16-2002, 03:54 PM
Thank you, girls. Congrats to you; too, Mauvais! I'm glad to hear you're still belly-dancing!

I went to the Y this morning DESPITE having a urinary tract infection. I just did a bike workout for 40 minutes. And went to the bathroom 3 times. :rolleyes:

mauvaisroux
12-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Good for you Ellis! I am so proud of you for going to the gym even with the UI! :bravo:

My last dance class was on Saturday. We are off until January 4th but I am dtermined to pratice through the holidays so I don't forget the routines. We have had two lessons on dancing with canes and next season we start practicing to dance with lit candles :eek: we pratice dancing with plastic drinking cups balanced on our upward facing palms first until we get the hand of it!

ellis
12-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Oh... that is too cool for words!! Ruth and I want a demonstration when you've perfected all the moves. I'm serious!

mauvaisroux
12-18-2002, 01:10 PM
Okay Ellis!

I have started cutting through the park on my way to work in the morning~this forces me to use the stairs to get up to the bridge to cross over so I am sneaking in a little extra exercise this way:)

ellis
12-18-2002, 04:21 PM
Good girl, Mauvais!!

Went to the Y today. Had a fairly good workout.

There's something wrong with this site. Or something. There are threads that I haven't visited yet, but they show that I HAVE. And sometimes when I post, it indicates a new post. I think there's something wrong.

Sojourner
12-18-2002, 06:23 PM
Ellis, perhaps your memory is starting to go...

ellis
12-18-2002, 06:25 PM
Listen, hon... one more insult from you on my mental abilities...
:lol:
Hey, Sojo... where've you been, sweetie? How are things going... still thinking of you... hugs...
xoxo

Sojourner
12-18-2002, 06:30 PM
giggle snort guffaw... I just can't help but give you a little crap as you are so very good at dishing it out.

But seriously Ellis, you are the sharpest tack of this whole bunch my dear!

I'm starting to feel a little better these days. Can we all say "ANTIDEPRESSANTS"?? :dizzy:

ellis
12-18-2002, 06:57 PM
Oh, I'm so glad they're kicking in, Sojo. Phew! Talk about life support!
My friend Jim and I had a giggle one day... we were talking about how being thrown into a prisoner of war camp would have a devastating effect on us. Me with my anti-depressants, contact lenses, inhaler...
Jim with his support sock, glasses, water retention pills...
heh heh. We'd be a couple of raving, drooling lunatics.

I'm really bad at dishing it out? Oh, dear... I don't even notice. I think I just accidentally insulted Lidian. Oh, dear...
:foot:
Father forgive me for I have sinned... inadvertently, to be sure...

That's very sweet of you to call me sharp. Because I'm not, and I have SUCH a complex about it. ;)

You know, watching "White Christmas" last night made me want to learn to dance EXACTLY like Miss Scissor Legs! Think of the weight we'd lose! And our legs... we'd have GREAT legs!!

Sojourner
12-18-2002, 09:07 PM
You must get a grip on reality with this insecurity about intelligence/education etc! You are always witty and quick to say the funniest things and know beatiful poetry that I've never heard of... you are probably BRILLIANT!! Everyone is smart in different ways... some have incredible language and communcation abilities, others are rational and mathmatical, others are good with their hands and bodies (athletics or art), some have amazing emotional intelligence, others are creative... the list goes on and on. But you KNOW this already and you're probably great at most them. And yes, I do think you are very sharp and always enjoy your contributions. Even though you do sometimes dish out a little crap... this board wouldn't be nearly as much fun without it! :D You just crack me up! :lol:

Lidian
12-18-2002, 09:16 PM
Ellis, what in the world are you talking about? You didn't insult me - of course not! How do you think you did that?

I am confused, but that is nothing new! :dizzy:

I am just happily sloping around the house enjoying wearing my rattiest old Adidas pants and fleece top, without any makeup and covered in cat hair! Total bliss;)

Lidian:)

ellis
12-18-2002, 09:56 PM
Thank you, Sojo. You're just the sweetest thing. :cry: I'm all misty eyed, and now my nose is running. Honestly.

Lidian, I'm ALWAYS putting my foot in my mouth. I'm sure that everyone here has been on the receiving end of my sharp tongue at LEAST once! But I'm never serious... so if I ever DO offend you, feel free to come back at me.
I love all of you. :)
:grouphug:

Giving apologies may become my forte. :D