Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #1  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Best casual-dressy walking shoes?

I usually walk about 30 minutes a day at about 5 mph (I'm incredibly impatient) to get to class, but those fashionable ballet flats that are "in" for women right now are definitely not made for that kind of abuse, and both my ankles and their treads are worse for wear as a result.

I'd prefer something that isn't all-out orthopedic, and I've heard mixed reviews for Shape-Ups or Easytones.

What shoes do you wear for everyday walking that look good but are also comfortable and durable at pretty high speeds & long distances? My ideal shoe would be acceptable as "business casual" office wear AND low-key college parties AND would enable me to walk really quickly or even run.

I know, impossible standards...

Last edited by lackadaisy; 02-21-2011 at 08:06 PM.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Although I'm a high heel gal five days a week, on weekends I give my feet a break. Cole Haan driving moccasins are absolutely worth the price tag! I've trekked all over in them; they mold to the shape of your foot and feel like house shoes. I also love my Ecco brand flats...they're ergonomically-designed, for lack of a better description.
There's no need to break the bank, though: lots of shoe companies are showing the same "type" of shoe this spring so I bet you'll find something similar with no problem.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I live in my new balance sneakers. In my student days I'd alternate with a pair of army jungle boots from the army/navy store. It was all about comfy shoe made to take the trek all over campus! Fashion be damned!

But everyone needs some casual flats sooner or later. Lately I noticed that they put out a line of shoes called Aravon so I've been checking it out at Zappos thinking that if New Balance produces it... maybe this would be good casual footing.

http://www.zappos.com/aravon~2

Some friends of mine like the vivobarefoot line. The female friend likes the "Kali" mary jane type model.

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/

I haven't bought any yet, but just a thought.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-21-2011 at 09:36 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

How do you feel about brogues? They are maaaarginally more supportive than flats, though still not terribly supportive. Can make feet look really small in proportion to the legs which is a minus.

krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I know it is a pain, but from some one who has spent about 25 years working on concrete floors, wear comfy shoes to walk in and pack an extra pair for what ever else.

My poor feet have taken a beating, and now I suffer from chronic tendonitis in the bottom of my feet.

I have recently found the Reebok Easy Tone shoes are way comfy. They do have a cute walking shoe. You can find it on Amazon.

Take care of your feet. When my tendonitis started, I went to bed fine, the next morning I couldn't walk my feet hurt so bad. I had to crawl up the stairs from the basement to the kitchen. It took 6 months for my feet to heel. No fun.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I know it is a pain, but from some one who has spent about 25 years working on concrete floors, wear comfy shoes to walk in and pack an extra pair for what ever else.

My poor feet have taken a beating, and now I suffer from chronic tendonitis in the bottom of my feet.

I have recently found the Reebok Easy Tone shoes are way comfy. They do have a cute walking shoe. You can find it on Amazon.

Take care of your feet. When my tendonitis started, I went to bed fine, the next morning I couldn't walk my feet hurt so bad. I had to crawl up the stairs from the basement to the kitchen. It took 6 months for my feet to heal. No fun.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #7  
No Excuses

S/C/G: 169.8/159/135

Height: 5'4

Born, Clarks Indigo line, Dansko. These shoes are all expensive but there is a reason they are, they're better for your feet. Alternatively, you could just purchase inserts. I used Powersteps, I love them. Almost all of my Achilles tendinitis has disappeared since I've been using them.
luposlipaphobia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Just stay away from those shoes that act like rockers - whatever the brand. They are horrible for the feet and back.

I bought some nicer quality Mary Janes and love them, but then I'm 41 years old. I can dress them up or down.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I love Bandalinos- they are super comfortable. They are more work shoes though, so they may be too formal for what you are looking at. I also would only walk up to 10 minutes in them at a time, though that's still pretty good for nice shoes.

For more casual ones, I literally wear Teva's Mush sandals EVERY DAY for walking. When I lived in the US and walked 3 miles a day to and from work I wore them for that walk. They are UBER comfortable- the best shoes I have ever worn. The ones I have are pretty casual, though I just went on their website and it looks like they have some that are a bit nicer. The casual ones are super cheap- $25, while even the slightly nicer ones are $50. They are squishy, durable, and the straps don't rub like most do, even after walking around for hours. I cannot recommend them enough
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #10  

Keen and Dansko are the brands I would recommend. You can get them at a discount on 6pm.com. They are my favorite walking shoes that don't look like walking shoes.

Chrys dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #11  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
How do you feel about brogues? They are maaaarginally more supportive than flats, though still not terribly supportive. Can make feet look really small in proportion to the legs which is a minus.

I recently bought some Easy Spirit shoe similar to the ones on the right. They're fairly comfortable and are okay for work. Since I wear a size 10, the fact that they make my feet look smaller is a real PLUS.

Last edited by WebRover; 03-05-2011 at 03:53 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 282/231/190

Height: 5'10

Borns are super comfy.
I would advise against any toning shoe. They're horrible for your back...even if they're going to give me a rockin' backside...I'll pass on the back pain! :P
nessalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 216.5/190.3/150-ish?

Height: 5'7"

I bought Reebok easy tones last summer and they only lasted a month before one of the balance balls busted. I was just using them to walk my dog on the sidewalk too... nothing strenuous or all terrain.
My newest walking/running/workout shoes are Nike shox. OMG they are amazing. I walk pretty fast too, so I highly recommend these.
boxen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 229/185/155

Any of the 'good' brands (Merrell, Rockport, Clarks, Ecco, Keen, anything from The Walking Company) should be solid. I always scour the internet for the best deals, but make sure you go into a store and try the shoes on first. Merrell's are wonderful shoes and people swear by them, but they just don't work for my feet. Everyone has a different foot so by all means spend good money on good shoes but make sure they're the right brand for you!

You will avoid so many foot problems later by spending a bit more on shoes now. 6pm.com has great deals, btw!

Krampus, where did you find those brogues??
bleujean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 306/240/140

Height: 5'5

Palladium. I love those boots, and they're designed for walking long distances.
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote