Chicks up for a Challenge - strength challenge

View Full Version : strength challenge

katy trail
02-21-2011, 08:05 PM
i'm going to start this challenge. anyone and everyone is welcome to join. all activity, strength, speed levels welcome. the more the better.

just update how you are doing, compared to how you should be doing. like if x exercise is easy/difficult.

i'll start tonight. i need to do this. i need to just START. everyone feel free to join in.

katy trail
02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
last night some ab work done. usually, i do crunches and holding in the up position of the crunch to get the burn faster.

each day i have to do SOMETHING. 1 hour or more, great. a little or a lot, have to do something each day. when i exercise consistently, i keep my portions healthy, make healthier choices, and do a better job of eating intuitively.

takingcontrol
02-22-2011, 08:39 AM
I'd love to join, I'm trying to make exercise/fitness my main focus, and I know if I do that, the weight will follow in it's own good time. Yeah, I'd love to lose a load a week, but, since I've started the fitness it's plateaued depressingly, even though I'm still a few pounds off making an overweight BMI never mind healthy yet.

I'll do a series of exercises tomorrow and see how many reps I manage, and post the results here, and hopefully see the numbers increase as we go.

I'm also on the last day of week two of couch to 5km tomorrow, so seeing the improvements with that will show how my cardio is coming along.

Like you, I have to do SOMETHING everyday. Now it's getting much hotter here in Thailand, and exercising is becoming tough, but, no excuses, something everyday. :)

LLBoldAsLove87
02-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Attempted to run 2.5 miles outside yesterday... phew, a lot harder than running 3 on the treadmill! I really need to get to work if I'm going to meet my goal of running 5 miles by graduation (mid May).

Raised my 4x10 squats 5lbs up to 105, still trying to figure out how much weight I can do for that many reps/sets without hurting myself.

I've decided I need to find a LOWER ab exercise that I like (I hate leg lifts for some reason, got anything else?), doing crunches are probably worthless because my upper abs are fine.

astrophe
02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm in. I have a cold though, so I won't actually start til I'm over being sick. But I could put down my measurements and explain what I want to do. Let me work on that and I'll check back in with that.

I subscribed to the thread though! :)

A.

katy trail
02-22-2011, 09:22 AM
for lower abs- cathe friedrich does a great ab workout called core max. you can find clips of all her w/o dvd's on her website or utube. here's a clip of the ab workout i'm talking about. i think the pulse ups work the lower abs. we could all use more of those! http://shop.cathe.com/Hardcore_Series_Core_Max_DVD_p/642.htm

Eliana
02-22-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm trying to do pullups unassisted. I'm not quite there. ;) I did 10 with a 45 lb assist today though...and then 7 and then four and half! LOL! I was worn out by the end of today's workout, which is a good thing.

I'm also attempting press ups and pec flys with 25 lb dumb bells. I wish my gym had dumbbells you could increase in smaller increments, but they increase by 5 pounds. There's a big difference between the 20 lb and the 25 lb weights. But I managed most sets with about 12 reps, so they're good.

LLBold, I'm impressed with your 110 pound squats. If the bar really does weigh 45 pounds all by itself (and not more!) then I'm up to 95 pounds. I know I could do more, but I'm afraid. I don't have a spotter and that's one move that I know one slip could really ruin a life.

takingcontrol
02-23-2011, 07:05 AM
OK, so I'm having a truly unmotivated and knackered day today. I just can't face a cardio workout. But, I will NOT do nothing, so I'm going to test my strength with a few different exercises working different parts of my body, and then report back here and check my changes every couple of weeks. I think seeing fitness changes will give me so much more motivation than the evil scales ever do!

I plan to do sit ups, half press ups (yet to manage full press ups) 'wall squats' not sure if that's the right term! Arm exercises using my resistance band and leg lifts using exercise ball.

If anyone else has any ideas of good exercises to do to monitor our strength, please let me know :)

katy trail
02-23-2011, 09:47 PM
elaina, you could wear wrist weights, they tend to be 1 or 2 lbs each. or weighted gloves.

mon-crunches before bed
tue-bridges before bed
wed-headache almost all day. really planned to get some real w/o in today, still going to do something tonight. not sure yet, nothing involving running or jumping. i never get headaches unless i'm just tired, but still not very often from that. made a thread about foods with iron, so trying to work on eating those. ate lots of iron today-oatmeal, spinach, chickpeas, lentil/brown rice mix, whole wheat pita pocket. and remembered to take my vitamin.

for mon and tue there's no excuse i had plenty of time. i was just...not using my time wisely. today, i took close to a 4 hour nap, lol. so no surprise i hadn't w/o during the day.

katy trail
02-24-2011, 02:18 PM
had lots of energy and felt good last night. random w/o- air punching in squat position, jumping, speed skaters, bridges, crunches, push ups....just whatever i could think of. about 15 min.

actually that's the second time in a week i've done push ups. i rarely ever do them. i think i prefer doing them holding onto the edge of the bed. always do them on the bed, because sometimes the floor just feels so uncomfortable. i always do ab work, leg lifts and other stuff on the bed. more comfortable. so it easily becomes a habit every night do x. i'm already in bed why not do some crunches, bridges etc.

feeling much better today. getting some cleaning done, and really trying to pack in the iron (in food). my yummy breakfast and lunch: mix of chick peas,lentils,brown rice,spinach with curry,ginger and other seasonings. a few spoonfuls of that with a poached egg and salsa. it was really good:)

katy trail
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
taking control, are you working on a specific areas? or are you just looking for a full body workout?

Eliana
02-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks to this thread I gathered up the courage to put some more weight on the squat bar. :D I went from 85 pounds on the bar up to 120 by the third set and learned that next session I really can put 130 on thing. I've just been scared.

I worked the legs today, including the adductor and abductor muscles in the thigh. I don't hit those often so it feels good putting it in the routine. I hate the traditional machines for this exercise, but I discovered a machine that uses a cable and I strapped my foot into it. I like it much better except that it takes longer because you isolate each leg.

katy trail
02-24-2011, 03:02 PM
yay!

i have the same fear lol. plus it's much more uncomfortable using the bar than dumb bells.

ok had to look up abductor and adductor, i think those are the inner and outer thigh. i know what machine you mean. you can also do those exercises w/ ankle weights at home, although i'm sure it's more challenging on the machine.

last week when i had DOMS all weekend, my whole thigh was sore. which never happens. maybe you'll get them too this time. it's an area you don't work often. if so, kudos! i look forward to them. i know, i'm crazy.

Eliana
02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
You think squats with dumb bells are more comfortable? Maybe it's our weights. There are little diamond shaped ridge like things on the bars and they dig into the hands which gets worse as the weight increases. The most I can stand is 25 pounds in each hand, so that's only 50 pounds total compared to the aforementioned 120 I did today. I do like using dumbbells on the Bosu ball though.

Yeah, I always get DOMS when I work a new group. I decided I needed some work, particularly on the inner thigh, when last week I galloped down the basketball court sideways and pulled something immediately. It's been sore for a week and a half! I keep hearing YOU in my head, actually, reminding me about sideways movements. ;) You've been in several threads with that wise advice.

GettinFit
02-24-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm in too. My goal is to start walking more miles each week. I'd like to try and get in at least 15 miles a week. I also am going to work more on my abs so I plan to do some ab work 3 times a week.

katy trail
02-24-2011, 03:54 PM
You think squats with dumb bells are more comfortable?

i just use plain cast iron 25# db. they are DH's. they've been there for 10 years, taunting me. everytime, all i could do was roll it, one at a time. or hold it with BOTH hands. so being able to use them feels good :) like i'm a guy.

I keep hearing YOU in my head, actually, reminding me about sideways movements. ;) You've been in several threads with that wise advice.
that cracked me up! ha ha!

actually, it was a friend on another thread advising me to do the side movements too. along with balancing my workouts. she said we should do upper and lower body, because it revs the metabolism or burns more calories or something. just passing it on :)

katy trail
02-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Welcome Gettin Fit! those sound like great goals.

katy trail
02-27-2011, 10:13 AM
ok! I'm FINALLY feeling much better mentally. i've been reading these forums constantly, and last night i think something clicked with me. i was reading nola and other posters talk about how being short and curvy is a GREAT thing! and all the advantages to being shorter and so on. had a moment glancing in the dim light in the mirror looking at my hips area- thinking i look gooooood, curvy and short just like they were saying lol. i'm average height, so i never think about myself like i'm so short.

so late last night i wanted to do a short w/o. some jack knives(those are so hard!), punching in a squat, jumping, few push ups. really short, but mentally, i was thinking about my w/o in the morning. how i used to feel so great and proud of myself getting all sweaty...i'm going to do some REAL workouts today!

thanks for all who joined in this challenge. it's just not as motivating when we are by ourselves. but together we can motivate each other so much!

astrophe
02-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Ok, here's my intro on this thread. Though I've been fitter in the past, I consider myself back at the beginner level. It's been too long and I've put on too much weight! :o

Still have a little niggling cough, but I think since it is leaving, I can start now. I plan to start tomorrow with an easy walk at my new gym and sort of get myself acquainted.

I started 2011 with a basic PALA goal of just get one! Any which way you exercise just complete it! I have one more day on that and it is over.

I want to complete my next PALA award with a basic pattern of

M W F -- 30 min cardio, probably basic walking
T R -- 30 min Upper / lower weights.
Sa, Su -- off or catch up a missed date.

to start getting a bit more formal and start adding the weight training back in. Probably from DVDs for now. Like kick it up a bit but still keep it a doable 30 min. The hardest thing right now for me is managing to slip in the workouts amid family life.

Wish me luck!
A.

dcapulet
02-28-2011, 12:10 AM
I'm in! I'm training for rock climbing, and so I too am trying to master the pull-up (via machine).

I also started JM 6 weeks Abs - so that's another goal :)

takingcontrol
02-28-2011, 07:06 AM
OK, so I fell off the exercise wagon last week. No excuses, I lost motivation. But I'm back on it with gusto today and for the next 6 weeks. That's how long it is until I go back to the UK, and would love to look as good as I can by then to give everyone at home a shock!

Today I did week three c25k with an extra 3 min jog on the end, and then some bum and upper arm exercises. Was an hour workout in total.

I also avoided the birthday cake in the office, and so far have managed not to give in to any sort of snacking.

I hope everyone has a good week :)

katy trail
02-28-2011, 09:47 AM
welcome back astrophe and taking control! welcome to dcapulet too! everyone is welcome, from beginners to marathon runners. when i post i try to give an idea of what i did (to compare to later on) and the difficulty level. That's because we all have different levels of fitness even for different exercises. i'm good at lower body stuff, but can only do a few girl pushups. Also, it's interesting to compare because sometimes you had more energy than another day doing the same workout.

so let's all get those workouts in! we all have time to exercise, even if it's only for a few min.

katy trail
02-28-2011, 09:54 AM
i did get that workout in last night. it was random again lol. intervals of running stairs and whatever i could think of to throw in- jump rope, speed skaters, squats with 50# (my standard wt, not hard), punching, elevated bridges. really short, prob.15 mins.

Although, this workout was shorter than i intended, i'm glad i did it. Also, getting any exercise in when my kids are home and awake is an accomplishment. they are old enough not to need supervision all the time, but i still rarely actually exercise on the weekends or after school.

i can only do 3 'laps' of stairs at a time. by the end of the 3rd my legs can hardly keep going. i should be able to improve that by the end of this month.

takingcontrol
02-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Hi Katy,

Thanks for the welcome back and the message on my blog. If I'm honest, strength isn't one of my biggest areas of concerns I guess. Building up my cardio fitness is far more important to me. I do however want to work on toning my bum and thighs, so that when the fat disappears they look good underneath! Also trying to work on my upper arms, in the hope that building some muscle up there might help with the flab! I'm working up to 'proper' pressups, but at the moment can't even do one properly, will be well happy when I can manage just one!

I mainly use my resistance band to train my arms, and a combination of squats, lunges and leg lift things to work my bum. And then throw in some sit ups for the stomach with most workouts.

As well as c25k, I'm using a couple of old Davina DVDS, love her boxing one and then another one that's 60mins, was using a few of the biggest loser ones I downloaded too, but always end up going back to Davina. I do hope to one day have the strength to do the 60 min fat burning yoga one, right now I just can't manage most of the moves.

I guess you could say my workout 'regime' is kinda all over the place, but as long as I do something, I'm pretty happy for now! Esp in the mental Thai heat, any sort of exercise kills me!

Eliana
02-28-2011, 10:22 AM
ok! I'm FINALLY feeling much better mentally. i've been reading these forums constantly, and last night i think something clicked with me. i was reading nola and other posters talk about how being short and curvy is a GREAT thing! and all the advantages to being shorter and so on. had a moment glancing in the dim light in the mirror looking at my hips area- thinking i look gooooood, curvy and short just like they were saying lol. i'm average height, so i never think about myself like i'm so short.

so late last night i wanted to do a short w/o. some jack knives(those are so hard!), punching in a squat, jumping, few push ups. really short, but mentally, i was thinking about my w/o in the morning. how i used to feel so great and proud of myself getting all sweaty...i'm going to do some REAL workouts today!

thanks for all who joined in this challenge. it's just not as motivating when we are by ourselves. but together we can motivate each other so much!

:rofl: No pun intended? ;) After all the SHORT talk?

Taking control, I was really most concerned with building up my cardio base too. It's a great thing to have, I can tell you! Now that I have that very well under control, I am ready to kick the lifting up a notch. I already started this month, but after this week I'm going to start stressing more weight training than cardio, while not giving the cardio up. We've been doing a cardio challenge at the gym so I have been gung-ho cardio this month! Several of us have let lifting slide because of it. :rolleyes: I wouldn't say I've let it slide, but let's just say my abs haven't been stressed here lately...at all. LOL!

katy trail
02-28-2011, 12:15 PM
for your abs try to do jack knives-make a 'V' shape bringing up your straight arms and legs. see how many you can do!

for the legs
no equipment required, but you'll want privacy.

with all of these, just see how many you can do, 3, 10, or 3 sets of 10. whatever level challenges you.

beginners
bridge- lay down on your back on a flat surface. bend your knees and keep your feet on the floor, hands at your sides. lift and lower your butt slowly without going all the way down. optional-squeeze your glutes or abs.

intermediate
elevated bridge. same position as before, except use something to elevate your feet. a step, weight bench, stack of books, whatever you can find. experiment with different heights to find what works for you. this really gets the hamstrings (back of the thigh)

advanced
1 leg elevated bridge. 1 leg in the air, the other on your elevated surface.

at first you may only be able to hold this for a few seconds. build up to doing 3 sets of 10.

Elaina i hadn't even realized the joke lol. i say short way too much.

astrophe
02-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Elliptical today was great -- it just felt so nice to be healthy again and not have this stupid cold! I'm having some problems with my DVD player but DH sais he'd look at it for me so I'll be ready to go tomorrow for weights.

A.

katy trail
03-01-2011, 01:01 AM
that's great! oh i love that feeling too, what a feeling to breathe again, instead of being stuffed up.

I did some exercises with the kids spread out over the evening. not lots of sweat going on, but i did get lots of elevated bridges done. a few of them were just 1 leg. no idea how many. my skinny as a rail 10 yr old son has surprisingly strong hams. he was doing them right with me. took me months of just doing basic bridges to work up to this lol.

katy trail
03-01-2011, 08:25 PM
how's everyone doing today?

katy trail
03-02-2011, 12:14 AM
i haven't done any countable exercising today. i had planned on it this afternoon, but i was feeling so tired. i'm still not sure if it was my lack of carbs lately or just afternoon slump. i'm experimenting with less grains. last 2 days i haven't had any grains. which for me is a big deal. i eat a lot of bread, cereal, pasta. sometimes i gave up pasta/rice in the fall because, it's so caloric. but i still ate ww bread, wraps, some cereal. so this was a whole new boat for me. so i AM eating lol. mostly veggies and protein-eggs,canned fish, lentils, sunflower seeds, nuts. pantry is pretty sparse, so my options are limited.

takingcontrol
03-04-2011, 07:12 AM
HI Katy, thanks for the suggestions, I've just seen them and will defo be giving them a go!

Already worked out for today, but will try to do them over the weekend.

Today, I did week 3 of c25k, which was actually pretty easy today, so moving onto a week 4 a day early, I can't wait until I'm doing the bigger numbers!

I also did a great mainly arm workout with my resistance band, I did two sets, and by the end of the second round, I could REALLY feel it, so hoping to do it often and slowly but surely add reps/sets as my arms improve.

I did 15 reps and 2 sets of the following using the band-

squats
bent over rows
alternate lying chest presses (15 reps each side)
diagonal wood chops (15 reps each side)
triceps extensions (15 reps each side)
lateral rows
Bicep curls

Now for a healthy dinner n then some TV before an early night. Work tomorrow, at least it stops me from eating!

katy trail
03-05-2011, 09:45 AM
may have to take some time away from the internet for awhile. i'm way too addicted, instead of actually accomplishing something around here.

takingcontrol
03-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Hey Katy,

I hope your time away helps you accomplish your 'real life' goals. Don't stay away too long though!

Identically, I'm addicted too, but having sold my car, on a massive money save, losing our cable TV on Monday, all due to the big countdown to moving back home to the UK, if I wasn't on here all day, I'd go mad (or eat chocolate!)

Take Care :) x