Weight Loss Support - Eating at maintenance for a week (or more) - Thoughts and advice welcome!

JenMusic
02-21-2011, 07:59 PM
I've decided that I'm going to up my calories for the next week or so. This has been a bit of a hard decision to make, but a necessary one for me, I think, for a few reasons:
- My calorie intake has dropped from 1400-1500 a day when I started to 1200-1350 a day now. That is totally doable and manageable, but not exactly fun for me and has led to some "diet fatigue" over the past couple of weeks. I've been strictly CC-ing since April of last year, and I'm mentally tired of seeing the numbers get smaller.
- At the beginning of my weight loss, I cycled calories naturally and without guilt. Now, I have to force myself to eat more on planned high calorie days. I feel guilt about eating more, and even a little bit of (irrational) fear that I'm undoing all my "good work" by eating more. For the record, we're not talking about really high numbers - maybe 1600-1700?
There's a (recently appeared) little voice in the back of my head that keeps whispering, "Less is better," and I would really like to shut that voice up before it gets any more power over me.
- I've just joined a gym and my workouts have increased in intensity and duration. Before I was doing 25-30 minutes DVDs 4-5 times a week. Now I'm doing 45-60 minutes cardio, plus strength training.
- Finally, I could be at maintenance. I'm mostly happy with my weight, moderately happy with my BMI, and not happy with my waist measurement and waist-to-hip ratio. I know I still have some visceral fat around my middle, and I don't think weight training will get rid of it, which is why I lowered my goal to 120.

So, there are my thoughts. Some questions for the peanut gallery. :)
- I know it's pretty much a guess for all of us, but I've bumped up to 1650 calories a day. Think that should work as a "maintenance break" number for a bit?
- Where should my extra calories come from, more volume of food or more added (good) fats/complex carbs? I already eat 6-8 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit a day. It seems like volume would make me uncomfortably full.
- Any thoughts on how long I should stay here, or at least how long I should hang out before I re-evaluate? I was thinking a week, which is good for the diet fatigue issue, but maybe 2-3 weeks would be better?

I think I'll keep posting in this thread, to record how this little experiment goes for me. But please, feel free to chime in anytime!

Niecy
02-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Oh my gosh, those voices in your head are exactly where I am right now! WHY???? I did this back in 2009 and lost the majority of my weight then, went on a loooong break from around Jan 2010 to Jan 2011 and was able to maintain @ 136-138 for months up until around Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2010.

Things just don't seem "right" this time around for me, I know what I am supposed to be doing (eating! for starters) and skip breakfast, can't seem to emotionally deal with my high calorie days and so on. My weight loss is much slower this time around, although I did get REALLY stuck in the 140's last time too but pushed through.

I think you are doing fine by taking a break and deciding where you go from here. But remember, once a calorie counter, always a calorie counter (simply because it's what works and lack of doing so/being aware is prob. how a lot of us landed on 3FC). So you will have to be very alert as to what you are putting in your mouth, and I don't know, I hate exercise, but I'm strictly speaking from experience here: If I had it to do all over again when I took my break, I would have tried my best to get in some form of exercise at least 2 times a week, simply for mood and to keep up my strength and stamina. Would I go all out as I do when trying to lose? Prob. not but at least a brisk walk on the treadmill and a good bike ride would be sufficient.

It's interesting though, I did not seem to have all these mental blocks going on during my last go round. Maybe I am doing this in response to the slower weight loss. I don't know. I am just easily frustrated this time.

JenMusic
02-22-2011, 08:18 AM
I've decided I'm going to post here daily for some accountability, and maybe this little experiment will be of interest or help to some others out there.

This morning I weighed in at 125.2. (I weigh daily already, and track it on Mondays. I'll record it here daily to see what the trend is, fully realizing that it'll probably go up a bit.)

Today's planned food:
B - Whole wheat tortilla, small banana, almond butter: 340 cals
S - 2 cups mixed raw veggies, LC wedge: 95 cals
L - Turkey wrap, broccoli, TJ's soy and flaxseed chips (these are an experiement), two small kiwi: 430 cals
S - Greek yogurt mixed with some Fiber One: 120 cals
D - Small hamburger on whole wheat bun with cooked onions and mushrooms, gorgonzola, turkey bacon; 2 cups veggies: 540 cals
S - Edy's slow churned ice cream in a cone: 120 cals

Total for the day - 1645 calories (Oh my goodness that looks like so much food!)

Exercise: 60 minutes cardio, split between elliptical and treadmill; Lower body strength with weights

OK, so that's the day planned. :)

JenMusic
02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Oh my gosh, those voices in your head are exactly where I am right now! WHY???? I did this back in 2009 and lost the majority of my weight then, went on a loooong break from around Jan 2010 to Jan 2011 and was able to maintain @ 136-138 for months up until around Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2010.

Things just don't seem "right" this time around for me, I know what I am supposed to be doing (eating! for starters) and skip breakfast, can't seem to emotionally deal with my high calorie days and so on. My weight loss is much slower this time around, although I did get REALLY stuck in the 140's last time too but pushed through.

I think you are doing fine by taking a break and deciding where you go from here. But remember, once a calorie counter, always a calorie counter (simply because it's what works and lack of doing so/being aware is prob. how a lot of us landed on 3FC). So you will have to be very alert as to what you are putting in your mouth, and I don't know, I hate exercise, but I'm strictly speaking from experience here: If I had it to do all over again when I took my break, I would have tried my best to get in some form of exercise at least 2 times a week, simply for mood and to keep up my strength and stamina. Would I go all out as I do when trying to lose? Prob. not but at least a brisk walk on the treadmill and a good bike ride would be sufficient.

It's interesting though, I did not seem to have all these mental blocks going on during my last go round. Maybe I am doing this in response to the slower weight loss. I don't know. I am just easily frustrated this time.

Niecy - Glad to see I'm not the only one with this little voice. I'm really hoping this helps get rid of it. Not that I think I'll ever have a completely "normal" relationship with food, but I don't want to feel guilt at 1600 calories.

Also, I'm definitely continuing with calorie counting and exercise. This isn't at all a break from those - just eating up a little for a while to see what happens!

onthedietagain
02-22-2011, 09:09 AM
- Any thoughts on how long I should stay here, or at least how long I should hang out before I re-evaluate? I was thinking a week, which is good for the diet fatigue issue, but maybe 2-3 weeks would be better?

I think I'll keep posting in this thread, to record how this little experiment goes for me. But please, feel free to chime in anytime!

Hi, I have 4 more lb to lose until my goal weight and I did take 10 days ďoffĒ the counting as it started affecting my mood and also I started to get very frustrated with all the counting , exercise and zero changes on the scale. I also wanted to see if I am ready to maintain and able to trust myself to eat the right amount of food.

I didnít gain any weight during 10 days break; I didnít count any calories or carbs. I eat the way I am planning to eat when I will reach my goal weight. It was nice to feel free from calculating and weighting what I eat.

I am back on counting calories since yesterday to lose last 4 pounds and I think the reason I didnít give up or binge is because I took the planned break and relaxed , which helped me regroup and feel good to count my calories again.

JenMusic
02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Checking in. Yesterday's food was OP, but left work a little late so only got 50 minutes of cardio instead of 60. I'm OK with that.

I didn't feel crazy full yesterday, but I can definitely tell that I'm eating more than previously. It's kind of nice, but at the same time weird. That's articulate, huh? :) I guess by "weird" I mean that it's strange to have 250 more calories a day to play with. It makes my planning both easier - because I can do more with it - and harder - because my trusty, pre-set menus that have worked for me for so long all need to be tweaked slightly. I really like routine and planning, and this is, in some ways, a wrench in the works. I'm not complaining, though! Just reminding myself that flexibility is needed.

+++++++++++++++++++
Today's weight - 126.0

Today's plan -
B: Egg muffin sandwich - whole wheat English muffin, 1 egg + 2 whites, slice of sharp cheddar, 2 pieces turkey bacon; orange. 425 cals.
S: Veggies and LC wedge. 85 cals
L: Turkey sandwich; soy and flaxseed chips (yesterday was the first time I'd tried these - YUM!); broccoli slaw in red wine vinegar; strawberries. 388 cals
S: Homemade blueberry bran muffin; buffalo jerky (another first time - trying to get more protein in creative, non-chicken ways) - 157 cals.
D: This is a bit of a question mark, but I'm leaning toward Dreamfield's pasta with chicken, lots of veggies, and olive oil and feta. 540 cals.

This leaves me at 1596 cals for the day. I'll may leave it there, may add a kiwi or a mug of SF hot chocolate. I'll see how it goes.

JenMusic
02-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi, I have 4 more lb to lose until my goal weight and I did take 10 days ďoffĒ the counting as it started affecting my mood and also I started to get very frustrated with all the counting , exercise and zero changes on the scale. I also wanted to see if I am ready to maintain and able to trust myself to eat the right amount of food.

I didnít gain any weight during 10 days break; I didnít count any calories or carbs. I eat the way I am planning to eat when I will reach my goal weight. It was nice to feel free from calculating and weighting what I eat.

I am back on counting calories since yesterday to lose last 4 pounds and I think the reason I didnít give up or binge is because I took the planned break and relaxed , which helped me regroup and feel good to count my calories again.

Thanks for telling me about your experience! I think I'll always have to measure foods to some extent, because my portion-control-meter is really, really off. :) But it's good to know that you were able to maintain without counting for a while, and now have the motivation to get those last pounds off. That's what I'm hoping for, too.

Good luck!

Niecy
02-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Jen, sounds like you did great to me!

I was happy but afraid to go into "maintenance" for a while, but I knew I need a short break. I didn't intend on going there as long as I did though, I pulled some muscles in my back and became really depressed and discouraged b/c the healing process took months. I learned that maintenance is a lot harder than it sounds and just like weight loss mode, takes patience to learn what my body needs to maintain.

Please keep updating this thread, I think this will help me and others get a glimpse of the road ahead of us :)

JenMusic
02-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Niecy! I'm glad this little glimpse into my experiment is helpful to someone.

Yesterday was . . . interesting. Food was OP until dinner. I forgot to write my exercise plan, but I did what I had (mentally) planned - 35 minutes elliptical and 45 minutes strength at the gym.

Dinner was where things got shifted a bit. I got home and realized we had no running water in the kitchen. So I decided to just do an open-faced turkey "wrap" on a baked Flatout flatbread. So yeah, a lot of turkey yesterday, which is fine (except for the sodium) because I like turkey. :)

Anyway, even after loading up the wrap with veggies and turkey and 150 cals worth of avocado, my dinner was STILL only 440 cals. I added a SF pudding in a cone for another 80 cals, but the day ended at 1575. I was stuffed and had no desire to eat more, and for the life of me couldn't figure out how to up my daily calories any more than that.

Poor planning? Maybe, but I don't really think so. All my food was satisfying and my macronutrients were where I wanted them to be. I was WAY over on sodium for the day, but my blood pressure is fine and I'm honestly not going to sweat that for the immediate future. I thought about forcing myself to eat up to 1600, but that seemed ridiculous. That "little voice" I referenced in my OP wasn't telling me to eat less, my body was telling me to stop, so I think it was a successful day.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Today's weight: 126.2 (Up from Monday, but I usually fluctuate a lot during the week, TOM is coming soon, and I'm not worried.)

Today's plan:
B - Egg muffin sandwich - 365 cals
S - Raw veggies and 2 oz. turkey - 111 cals
L - Yogurt "parfait" - Greek yogurt, frozen blueberries and raspberries, raw oats, and ground flaxseed (yummy! try it!) - 450 cals
S - French cut green beans, banana, buffalo jerky (some of this will be eaten before workout, some after) - 195 cals
D - ??? I have eleventy billion errands to run after work and the gym. I have 530 calories to play with. If I get hungry, I'm totally fine with stopping by McD's or Chick-fil-A for a salad. If I get home, I'll see if we have water yet. :) My calorie goal for the day is 1600 - I'm wondering if 1650 is simply too much food right now? I'm going to listen to my body and its hunger.

Exercise - 50 minutes cardio; 30 minutes strength (abs and lower body)

That's the plan for today!

JenMusic
02-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Why hello there, emotional eating? Where did you come (back) from?

I've kept my emotional eating in check - more or less - since my weight loss started last March. Minor blips have happened, and yesterday afternoon was one. It was a perfect storm of approaching TOM, tiredness, and a minor confrontation with a respected co-worker that left me feeling inadequate and immature. So when a Venezuelan student presented me with a homemade ham and cheese arepa (South American cornmeal sandwich) it pretty much went immediately into my mouth, followed by a Kit Kat mini. Thank goodness that was the only chocolate in my office, or otherwise it would only have gone downhill from there.

So, the food plan shifted. The arepa/Kit Kat was my afternoon snack, and my planned snack became dinner along with a small turkey wrap. Calories for the day were still in limits at 1613. Exercise was 60 minutes on the treadmill - no strength because I felt pretty beat up from my major strength session the day before.

I'm still getting used to how much food this is, and how full I feel at times.

This morning's weight was back at 125.2.

++++++++++++++++++++++
Today's plan:

B - Greek yogurt, strawberries, oats, flax - 378 cals
S - Carrots and celery - 50 cals
L - Turkey sandwich, 2 small kiwis - 317 cals
S - 1/2 oz. almonds, buffalo jerky (almost finished, don't know that I'll buy it again), cole slaw with red wine vinegar - 170 cals
D - Small hamburger patty, homemade guac, sauteed spinach, mushrooms, onions, and grape tomatoes, baked sweet potato chips - 547 cals
Dessert - Warm Delights mini (I bought a 2 pack forever ago, and the remaining one has been taunting me :)) and small scoop Edy's ice cream - 210 cals

Total for the day - 1642 cals

Exercise - 45 minutes cardio, 30 minutes strength

Let's keep the emotional eating at bay today!

sept15lija
02-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Sounds like you're doing great - even fit that bit of emotional eating into your plan, good job! I love reading other people's menus, I am so boring and eat the same thing all the time. I really need to venture out a bit. I am starting to play with the idea of maintenance...not really sure when I'll start, whether I'll wait until goal or not...but planning for it is in my head!

JenMusic
02-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Today was crazy - no time and bad internet. :(

Yesterday was on plan. Yippee!

This morning's weight was 125.8.

I'm not going to write everything out right now, but today was on plan with 1605 calories and exercise (50 minutes cardio and 20 minutes of abs).

I hope computer problems are resolved tomorrow, and that I'm home more than today. I have my food planned out for tomorrow and I'm only at 1490 calories at the moment and not really sure where to add. It looks like a lot of food, pretty balanced, and I may just leave it as it is. We'll see.

JenMusic
02-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Um, what??? I hopped on the scale this morning and it said 124.4! Man oh man, weight fluctuations - up OR down - can play with your head. :)

Today's plan:
B - Saturday or Sunday I like to do a big breakfast. I'm a breakfast girl. Today is 2 pieces TJ's lowfat frozen French toast, PB, strawberries, SF syrup, and turkey bacon. 545 yummy, guilt-free cals.
L - Tuna with veggies, Flatout bread, kiwi - 350 cals
S - Greek yogurt mixed with Fiber One - 110 cals
D - Chicken, veggies, TJ's reduced guilt Mac and Cheese - 445 cals
S - 2 wedges TJ's dark chocolate caramel - 60 cals

No work out today - rest day.

Total cals for the day - 1510. NOT the 1650 I've been aiming for, but I'm not seeing a place to put them - anyone? Of course, I'm also wrestling with the idea of if they're even needed. Hmmmm . . .

oodlesofnoodles
02-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Hey Jen, I just wanted to say that I love reading your thread. I wish I planned like you do. I suck at it. You also have a lot of good food ideas. I look forward to reading more.

JenMusic
02-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Hey Jen, I just wanted to say that I love reading your thread. I wish I planned like you do. I suck at it. You also have a lot of good food ideas. I look forward to reading more.

Aww, thanks! But it kind of cracks me up that you like my food ideas - I read others' menus and get all jealous and think how boring my meals are. :) I guess it's grass-is-greener syndrome.

I have to plan, if I know I'm going to be successful. I do leave some wiggle room and at this point don't mind changing my plan if necessary, but I really like planning as a tool for staying in my calories for the day. It also helps that I'm a teacher and my breakfasts, lunches, and snacks are all pretty much the same day after day (which I generally don't mind).

Obviously YOU'RE doing something right - look at all the weight you've lost! Woohoo!

JenMusic
02-28-2011, 10:24 AM
OK, so I'm changing things up this week.

This morning my weight (today is the day I record it) was 125.0. Down a full pound from last week’s weigh-in day, but definitely still within the realm of my normal weight fluctuations. I don't think it was necessarily a "real" loss.

Last week was good, and taught me some lessons:

1. I don’t like eating 1650 calories a day. It feels like too much. I could do it easily (because I used to!) if I were eating chocolate and fast food and carbs, but that’s not an option. Eating that many calories of my healthy food just leaves me too full, and I don’t see the point in eating when I’m not hungry. Isn’t that one of the reasons I stayed fat for so long? I need to work on this when I enter maintenance for real.

2. The calories I was eating before (1100-1400 a day) really did leave me feeling deprived at times. Having those extra calories to play with was, at times, really nice!

3. I still want to lose. I thought maybe I was done, and I do think I’m close to being done, but these last 5 pounds have the potential to make a pretty big difference.

So, here’s the deal. This week, I’m going to aim for 1400-1500 a day. I should still be losing at this level, albeit slowly. I’m ok with slow right now. That’s the experiment for this week, so let’s see where it takes me.

I have to head to class – young minds to mold and all :) - but I’ll post today’s food and exercise plan during my lunch break.

mkroyer
02-28-2011, 11:21 AM
suggestion to get you up over 1600/... add an ounce or half ounce of nuts to your greek yogurt and fiber one.......small handful, good at, calorically dense, i dont think youll even notice a difference (feeling full-w3ise i mean) and itll get you there to your numbers

just a thought. thats what id do in your sit.....

OR if you eat a salad, start having the full fat version of whatever dressing, or add chesse to it or something...... a couplr TBsp of reg ranch or italian dressing will add enough cals to bumpo you up

JenMusic
02-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Today's plan:

B - Egg muffin sandwich and orange - 424 cals
S - Raw veggies - 40 cals
L - Turkey wrap with hummus and spinach, soy and flax chips, strawberries - 350 cals
S - Homemade blueberry bran muffin, buffalo jerky ( I decided I liked it enough to include in the regular rotation. It's a plus that it doesn't need to be refrigerated.) - 160 cals
D - Chicken with roasted butternut squash, onion, asparagus, olive oil, frozen SF pudding in an ice cream cone - 505 cals

That puts me at around 1480 for the day.

Exercise - 45 mins cardio; Lower body and abs strength

JenMusic
02-28-2011, 12:42 PM
suggestion to get you up over 1600/... add an ounce or half ounce of nuts to your greek yogurt and fiber one.......small handful, good at, calorically dense, i dont think youll even notice a difference (feeling full-w3ise i mean) and itll get you there to your numbers

just a thought. thats what id do in your sit.....

OR if you eat a salad, start having the full fat version of whatever dressing, or add chesse to it or something...... a couplr TBsp of reg ranch or italian dressing will add enough cals to bumpo you up

Thanks, and I absolutely agree. For the record, I never thought I'd be one of "those people" talking about how much the had to eat . . . :o

I didn't always write it in my food plan, but I definitely incorporated olive oil, avocado, and nuts/nut butters last week. I could certainly have done more, but my macronutrient ratios and fat grams were pretty much where I wanted them to be.

I know that when I enter maintenance for real this is going to be an area I'm going to have to experiment on. One thing I'm considering for long-term maintenance is eating 1400-1500 most days, with a couple of days up to 1800 (or so, once I figure out how much) to maintain. Still just thoughts, but I know some of the maintainers here do that.

JenMusic
02-28-2011, 09:03 PM
No time to post tomorrow morning (although I should be able to hop on and add my weight) so I'm posting now. What? I'm working ahead? Don't tell my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Fried, who despaired over my "poor study habits."

Today was crazy! I was at the gym when we had a tornado warning and we all got moved into an interior dance studio. Luckily there were free weights in there and I was able to complete my planned strength routine, but ony did my 15 minutes of my warmup cardio. :(

We weren't allowed to leave until the all clear was given, so that got me home late. I wasn't excited about waiting for my veggies to roast, so I improvised. Dinner was a TJ's chile-lime chicken patty and garlic hummus on whole wheat bun with a yummy veggie slaw I threw together: green beans (mine were frozen and I nuked them for a minute to get rid of the chill), bagged broccoli slaw mix, and mushrooms. I added some choped cilantro, red wine vinegar, and a tablespoon of Newman's Own Lowfat Sesame dressings. It was great!

Then, after I finished toasting the hamburger bun, the dog nabbed the bottom half of the bun. :lol: So my calories are slightly lower than planned, but at 1434 still within my target.

ETA: This morning's weight was unchanged at 125.0.

++++++++++
Tuesday's plan

B - Egg muffin sandwich (I eat this a lot, I know, but it WORKS for me and I rarly get tired of it); orange - 385 cals
L - Greek yogurt, oats, Fiber One, flax meal, and FRESH strawberries! They're back! 370 cals
S - broccoli and turkey - 90 cals
D - We're going to try this again. :) Chicken, roasted butternut squash, onion and asparagus with olive oil - 455 cals

That leaves me at 1351, which leaves room for dessert. I'll decide what I'm feeling like tomorrow.

Exercise - Upper body strength and 45 minutes cardio. Hopefully no tornado warnings will be interrupting me this time!

WeightForMe
03-01-2011, 09:39 PM
this is very interesting!

JenMusic
03-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Yesterday was a bit eye-opening for me.

Plans were good until dinner. While making dinner, the "little voice" got to me again and I prepared less squash and onion than I planned. I still ate dessert (frozen pudding in an ice cream cone), bringing my calories for the day to 1402, which is within my 1400-1500 range for the week.

The little voice was rewarded this morning on the scale, as I weighed in at 124.2.

As a refresher, I don't feel like I'm eating in a disordered way, but I do think I occasionally have disordered thoughts about food. I'm not trying to stop a behavior with this experiment, I'm trying to stop thoughts and feelings of guilt when I eat toward the top of my calorie range. I'm trying to prove to myself that I won't gain back all my weight overnight if/when I have a high calorie day.

However, I am still trying to lose. A few posts above, I wrote that I was OK with a slow loss. I was, obviously, lying to myself. :) I want this weight gone yesterday. I've been losing now for over a year, and I'm so close to goal, and I don't want to go slow (screams the tantrum-y inner 3 year old)!

Ugh. I realize that to some, this might seem like I'm complaining about nothing - my biggest problem is that I'm losing weight and can't eat enough calories? But no, my problem is that I want my weight loss to be sustainable long-term, and I want to have a healthy, sane relationship with food.

All that said, dinner last night was filling and delicious and covered in heart healthy olive oil. :) Exercise was OP, with 50 minutes cardio (W1D1 of the C25K - I'm trying it again! - and 20 minutes on the AMT) plus upper body strength.

This morning's weight - 124.2

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Today's plan:

B - Whole wheat tortilla, banana, almond butter - 340 cals
S - Raw veggies - 40 cals
L - Turkey wrap with hummus and spinach, soy and flaxseed tortilla chips, and 2 small kiwi - 439 cals
S - Beef jerky and carrots - 105 cals
D - I'm meeting some friends for dinner tonight at a Mexican chain called Willy's - this is Mexican "fast" food, like Chipotle or Moe's. Their nutritional info, unfortunately, is NOT available online. :( I'm planning on getting a salad with marinated tofu and black beans, salsa as dressing. I have 575 cals to spend, so that should be more than enough. If I do a calorie estimate and have room, I'm planning on some strawberries at home for a snack later.

Exercise - 30 mins cardio; abs and LB strength

Thanks for reading my whining/vent!

mkendrick
03-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi Jen, I figured I should quit lurking and actually post on your thread. I've been reading and following along and I'm very much interested :)

I also have that nagging voice, lower must be better. During my weight loss, and even early maintenance, I was eating 1100-1300cal. 1400+ seemed gluttonous. Even during maintenance, I'd eat very low cal with a cheat meal once a week to offset the low cals during the week. I deal with some binge tendencies, and after a bad month of bingeing and then desperately trying to scramble back on the wagon, it led me to a pattern of binge/restrict. I ate 500-600 calories for a whole week...NOT healthy. I actually started feeding myself properly again (and surprise, that desperate need to eat eat eat (binge) went away when I wasn't starving). But even still, I feel guilty if I go above 1250ish. I'm not starving, but that's still not right. I know my body needs more fuel. Those 1250 calories are all very healthy balanced food choices that actually equal a lot of food. So, like you, the thought of adding more food seems surprisingly challenging.

Oh, and interesting note. After my bad month of binges, my weight had gone up from 124-125 to 128-129. Not a significant change, but as a maintainer, any gain means something needs to change. My very poor decision of trying to restrict to 500-600cal/day kept my weight at 131-132lbs for that whole week. It wasn't my TOM or anything. When I finally snapped myself out of it and started eating balanced whole meals again (albeit, still at 1100-1200...I should be eating more), my weight dropped to 127-128 almost immediately.

I certainly don't mean to hijack your thread, but I wanted to share my experience/thoughts. Your thread has been really inspiring to me, has convinced me that I just need to grow a chest hair and try eating 1500 or so for a couple days and see how I feel. My body would be thrilled, I'm sure.

So good on you for breaking out of the lower is better mindset. I'll definitely keep reading your updates :)

JenMusic
03-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Hi Jen, I figured I should quit lurking and actually post on your thread. I've been reading and following along and I'm very much interested :)

I also have that nagging voice, lower must be better. During my weight loss, and even early maintenance, I was eating 1100-1300cal. 1400+ seemed gluttonous. Even during maintenance, I'd eat very low cal with a cheat meal once a week to offset the low cals during the week. I deal with some binge tendencies, and after a bad month of bingeing and then desperately trying to scramble back on the wagon, it led me to a pattern of binge/restrict. I ate 500-600 calories for a whole week...NOT healthy. I actually started feeding myself properly again (and surprise, that desperate need to eat eat eat (binge) went away when I wasn't starving). But even still, I feel guilty if I go above 1250ish. I'm not starving, but that's still not right. I know my body needs more fuel. Those 1250 calories are all very healthy balanced food choices that actually equal a lot of food. So, like you, the thought of adding more food seems surprisingly challenging.

Oh, and interesting note. After my bad month of binges, my weight had gone up from 124-125 to 128-129. Not a significant change, but as a maintainer, any gain means something needs to change. My very poor decision of trying to restrict to 500-600cal/day kept my weight at 131-132lbs for that whole week. It wasn't my TOM or anything. When I finally snapped myself out of it and started eating balanced whole meals again (albeit, still at 1100-1200...I should be eating more), my weight dropped to 127-128 almost immediately.

I certainly don't mean to hijack your thread, but I wanted to share my experience/thoughts. Your thread has been really inspiring to me, has convinced me that I just need to grow a chest hair and try eating 1500 or so for a couple days and see how I feel. My body would be thrilled, I'm sure.

So good on you for breaking out of the lower is better mindset. I'll definitely keep reading your updates :)

:lol: I've lurked on quite a few of your threads, too, Megan! :) I really appreciate your thoughts on this. Sometimes - well, most of the time, actually - I feel like weight loss is even more mental than it is physical. I don't mean in a "willpower" or "mind over matter" type way. I mean in a "how does my thinking affect my behavior" type way.

Please keep reading and feel free to share any insights or struggles you have. We're all in this together.

(Um, I just inadvertently quoted High School Musical. Oops!)

JenMusic
03-03-2011, 07:19 AM
So, I've found the secret to eating all my allotted calories! Just tell me that I have a bunch of calories left over for the day, then put me near chocolate! :)

Yesterday was OP, food and exercise. Dinner was out with friends at a local fast food Mexican chain. I got a salad with black beans and tofu cubes (pretty good, actually) and used lots of salsa as dressing. I estimated and inputted everything into MyPlate, and was at 1350 cals.

Well, after dinner we went somewhere, so I didn't get home until after 9 and was pretty tired, but was only at 1350. So I decided to have an 80 cal Reese's cup. I could have stopped there, but then had a dark chocolate caramel wedge (from TJ's) for 30 more cals. Then realized I had enough cals left over for 1 more wedge, and so I ate it. :)

All that to say, my calorie total for the day was 1495, 140 of which were chocolate, which was kind of, sort of unplanned. But I was still in range so I'm calling it good.

Also (and this might be another thread) do any of you CC-ers have trouble NOT finishing all your allotted food? What I mean is, if you've counted and tracked it, do you feel like you have to eat it? Last night at dinner, the salad (mostly because of veggies) was pretty big, and after a while I could have stopped with some left on my plate. But I ate it all because I knew the calorie count and had already tracked it, and wouldn't know how to subtract if I stopped. So I finished the whole thing. Not damaging calorically, but it's not the first time I've done this and I'm wondering if I'm damaging my internal sense of intuitive eating, which was already pretty screwed up.

+++++++++++++++++++
This morning's weight - 124.4

Today's plan -
B - Egg muffin sandwich (out of English muffins, oh no! Made on a whole wheat hamburger bun, which was surprisingly tasty) - 355 cals
S - Raw veggies and LC wedge - 75 cals
L - Greek yogurt parfait. More fresh strawberries. :) - 364 cals
S - Beef jerky (not as good as the buffalo, I have to say) and carrots - 105 cals
D - Turkey wrap with spinach and hummus, flax chips, orange - 408 cals

I actually have all my food packed for the day, since I'm expecting to be at work pretty late. The above is 1306 cals, so I'll be having some dessert when I get home. Maybe I should plan that now? :)

Also, today at school (I'm a teacher) we're having a cake for some students who have "graduated" a special program. I'm NOT having cake. Just saying that here, for some accountability.

Have a good day!

seagirl
03-03-2011, 08:07 AM
I was going to suggest cutting out the sugar free snacks and eating snacks with real sugar. Looks like you did that with the chocolate.

Easy ways to up calories without more volume is to eat full fat dairy, a few nuts and use a little extra oil in your meals. It doesn't take much to add up to a couple hundred calories.

Good luck!

JenMusic
03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
I was going to suggest cutting out the sugar free snacks and eating snacks with real sugar. Looks like you did that with the chocolate.

Easy ways to up calories without more volume is to eat full fat dairy, a few nuts and use a little extra oil in your meals. It doesn't take much to add up to a couple hundred calories.

Good luck!

You know, seagirl, I was thinking about this sugar reaction. I don't know if it's hormonal (TOM and various current stresses) or what, but I feel like my sugar free puddings satisfy me more than last night's real sugar chocolate. I really think I would have stopped at one SF pudding, but the Reese's cup just made me want more. Now, I've never been one to be bothered by artificial sugar, and I understand it's a no no for many people, but I'm ok with it (especially if it means I crave LESS, not more). But, again, I don't know if this was a one time thing or if that would be true all the time. I do eat real sugar, but maybe last night was a bad night for it.

I have added oils and healthy fats for more calories, but I feel like my fat grams and macronutrient ratios are right where I want them to be (where I've been successful over my weight loss, around 40/30/30). So upping cals via fat skews that somewhat. As I mentioned to mkroyer above, I'll do more figuring out for this over the long-term of maintenance.

Thanks!

JenMusic
03-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Yesterday afternoon was one of those "bottomless pit" times. You know, when it seems like NOTHING will get you full/satisfied? I know a lot of this right now is stress and hormone induced, but knowing that in my head doesn't always equate to feeling less hunger, right? :)

In any case, I'm glad I had some calorie cushion yesterday in my plan. I ended up eating my planned snack, then moving my orange from dinner to an additional snack, then finally broke down and had a Luna mini bar (80 cals, I keep these in my purse for emergencies when I'm on the road) and a Coke Zero. That finally did the trick. I got through my afternoon workout, had dinner, and came home to a 1/4 cup Edy's Slow Churned ice cream in a cone (why yes, I DO put many of my desserts in ice cream cones ;)).

Total cals for yesterday - 1473. Food and exercise on plan.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
This morning's weight: 124.4

Today's plan:
B: Egg muffin - Due to lack of English muffins (and no grocery shopping til Sunday!) this was instead an egg wrap in a whole wheat tortilla. See how I'm mixing it up? :) - 270 cals
S: Luna mini bar - Today is a weird day, and I'm going to have to eat my snack in class while the students are watching a movie. My normal raw veggies would crunch much too loudly. - 80 cals
L: Turkey wrap with hummus, cole slaw, raw veggies, flax chips, strawberries - 427 cals
S: Homemade blueberry bran muffin and beef jerky - 167 cals
D: Um, I don't know? It's the end of the world's longest week, and right now going to bed as soon as I get home sounds good. Tentative plan is a repeat of Tuesday night's dinner - chicken, butternut squash, onion, asparagus, olive oil. That would be 433 cals, taking me to 1377 for the day, leaving room for hot chocolate or something else if I want it.

Exercise - 30 minutes cardio, LB strength

Have a good Friday, everyone!

JenMusic
03-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Last night I slept for over 10 hours. It was GLORIOUS. I woke up this morning, ate my breakfast, and went to the gym. I never work out in the morning because of time, but this morning had a really good workout. I'm attributing that to the sleep and the the effect of my usual morning coffee. :)

Yesterday was a really good food day. For dinner, I followed my tentative plan, but reazlied I had a ripe avocado waiting to be used, so I lowered the olive oil and added in some homemade guacamole. Despite how strange that sounds (roasted squash and guac?) the flavors went really well together for some reason, and it was yummy. I let myself "rest" after eating dinner, and didn't end up wanting dessert except in a vague, "I'm entitled to it" way, so I didn't have anything sweet.

Calories were within range at 1424 with a good macronutrient ratio. Exercise was on plan, if a little lackluster because I was tired.

This morning's weight was 124.0. If that trend holds, I will show a loss at weigh-in on Monday, which means I will have lost weight eating up! I'm not counting my chickens, but that would be nice.

++++++++++
Today's plan
B - English muffin (went shopping for a few things last night) with turkey, LC wedge, and spinach; orange - 305 cals
S - Kashi granola bar on the way home from gym - 130 cals
L - Salmon, avocado, veggie slaw, small whole wheat tortilla - 465 cals
S - carrots and jerky - 105 cals
D - I'm shopping with friends this afternoon/evening. I'm thinking Chick-fil-A will be where we end up for dinner, so I'm planning a chicken salad and dressing - 310 cals

That leaves me at 1315, but dinner is tentative at the moment, plus I wouldn't mind coming home and having some strawberries. :)

Exercise was 35 minutes on the treadmill (C25K W1D3) and LB strength.

Have a good Saturday!

JenMusic
03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Yesterday was on plan. Dinner ended up being at Panera after the shopping trip - I got the black bean soup (which I've always loved) and came home and ate it with a dollop of Greek yogurt for some additional protein. Yummy. That left a bunch of calories for dessert, so I had a sheet of graham crackers (60 cals) with a SF pudding and a cup of strawberries. More yummy.

Total calories for yesterday - 1440.

+++++++++++
This morning's weight - 124.0.

Today's plan
B - Greek yogurt parfait - 408 cals
L - Turkey wrap with avocado, spinach, and pepper strips; flax chips; orange - 508 cals
S - Cole slaw with red wine vinegar - 25 cals
D - Progresso chicken tortilla soup (it's raining here, and I'm in a soup mood) with added artichoke hearts - 300 cals
Dessert - Edy's in a cone - 200 cals

Total for the day - 1441 cals
Exercise - Rest day

++++++++++++++++

Is anyone reading this? :) I need advice for next week - do I

A. Stick with m 1400-1500 calorie range
B. Go to 1350-1500 (possibly letting me lose more quickly, and I still do want to lose about 5 pounds or so)
C. Something else

Any thoughts or advice? I may not take it, but I'll at least think about it. :)

foodmasochist
03-06-2011, 03:22 PM
ugh, i wish i could offer advice, but i have been going through a similar thing. After upping my exercise & limiting my food even more for about 2-3 weeks, i let myself have a bit more food the last 4-5 days, and i have lost weight three days in a row! i have been OP (i am vegan and don't count calories) with my veggies and such, eating healthy whole foods, but adding in a *bit* of white carbs (i normally try to avoid completely) and a bit more fat. i don't know why this worked. Someone said it is because that food hasn't gone on to my body as fat it takes 2 days, but that doesn't seem to make sense either...if i binge i see a higher weight the next day, and i think 4-5 days is enough to see the results on the scale for good or bad.

i have decided to keep going on with what works for now. If i stall out, i can go back to eating how i was. Perhaps my body just needed a little extra calories for a week or two-or perhaps my body doesn't like having NO white carbs as opposed to limited white carbs.

We have to learn what works for us, but you are doing great! Sorry i am not much help :^:

-fm

JenMusic
03-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Good morning!

This is spring break for me - I'll still have meetings and some office work, but no classes. Yeehaw! As a student, I never realized that teachers look forward to break just as much as the students. :) Of course, I forgot to turn off my cell phone alarm last night, so still woke up at 6. Oh, well.

This morning's (official) weight was 123.4. Huh? I'm happy, but at the same time it's lower than I expected and there might be a bounce back. But that's the way this works - I've always recorded Monday morning's weight, so we'll see what next Monday brings.

Last night I did some thinking, and decided that this thread has been really helpful for me. Since I'm not hurting anyone, I think I'm going to continue it for another week or so - I didn't start it to get lots of comments (but thank you to those who have stopped by!) but it gives me a sense of accountibility and has helped me examine my feelings about my calorie intake.

I also decided that this week I'm going to aim for 1350-1450 calories. This takes me more firmly into "weight loss" calorie range, but doesn't let me go too low and activate my restriction monster. Also, I'm honestly annoyed with having to "eat up" when I'm low, and I think that's allowed me to take too much latitude with my sweets over the last couple of weeks. That's another area I'll need to be careful of when I enter maintenance for real.

I'm also looking ahead to next week, when I will be attending a conference in New Orleans. I've never been there, and when I first made plans to go I decided that I would eat whatever I wanted while I was there - not junk, but local specialties. So beignets, jambalaya, and other Creole/Cajun treats are on the menu, and I'm going to make myself enjoy those 3 days guilt-free. :) But that means that I don't want my calorie intake to be too high into my maintenance range this week or the first part of next.

OK, enough babbling from me!

Yesterday was pretty much OP, a little moving stuff around, and ended up at 1422 cals for the day.

Today's weight - 123.4

+++++++++++++++++
Today's plan -
B: (A big breakfast in honor of spring break!) - 2 lowfat Nutrigrain Eggo waffles, 1.5 Tbs. PB, SF syrup; 1 egg+2 whites scrambled; 2 pieces turkey bacon; stawberries - 510 cals. Huge and worth it.
S - No need for a morning snack today, I'm pretty sure.
L - Roast chicken wrap with spinach and various veggies; homemade guac - 400 cals
S - Carrots and beef jerky - 105 cals
D - Tuna with veggie slaw and orange - 320 cals

That takes me to 1335 for the day. I like where my nutrients are. If that's where I end up, so be it.

Exercise - 30-45 minutes cardio; UB strength, maybe core - depends on time

Have a good Monday!

bargoo
03-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I would stick with the 1400-1500 range. You are doing great ! I , like you and am short, I maintain on about 1400 - 1500 a day.

JenMusic
03-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I would stick with the 1400-1500 range. You are doing great ! I , like you and am short, I maintain on about 1400 - 1500 a day.

Bargoo, can I ask about your exercise/activity level, for my curiosity's sake?

I am still trying to lose, actually. The first week of the experiment I ate 1500-1650, then last week was 1400-1500. Today should be right around 1400.

I thought about finding a maintenance range for where I want to be and then "drifting down," as I know many maintainers have done. The uncertain math of that stopped me. :) I think I would rather just lose what I want to lose, then slowly add.

I don't think I'm going to go under 1350 a day (regularly) anymore though. It's not good for me psychologically, plus I think my activity level is high enough now that I can still lose on that. Also, I do think my body will still change with the lifting I've started to do. I just wish this belly would disappear already. ;)

ncuneo
03-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I just wish this belly would disappear already

Oye! This statement concerns me...only because I've been saying that f.o.r.e.v.e.r. I still say it and I have to fight every day to accept my body for what it is and not go diving back into weight loss mode. Every Monday I say, hmmm maybe this week I should lower my cals and lose a few more, THEN maybe my belly would go away. Instead right now I've opted for trying some body recompositioning, although I don't total understand it, I'm hoping will get me to a comfortable place without dropping my weight any lower.

Anyway, just a word of caution in that department. :)

JenMusic
03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Oye! This statement concerns me...only because I've been saying that f.o.r.e.v.e.r. I still say it and I have to fight every day to accept my body for what it is and not go diving back into weight loss mode. Every Monday I say, hmmm maybe this week I should lower my cals and lose a few more, THEN maybe my belly would go away. Instead right now I've opted for trying some body recompositioning, although I don't total understand it, I'm hoping will get me to a comfortable place without dropping my weight any lower.

Anyway, just a word of caution in that department. :)

Ncuneo - Your concern is appreciated, really. :) I do worry about going down that road and becoming unhappy/obsessive.

I guess my thought process is that my BMI is still on the middle-high side (22.5 right now) and my waist-to-hip ratio is just barely .8. I'm a classic apple shape and with heart disease rampant in my family (grandmother died at 59 from a heart attack, mother and father and 37 year old sister on all kinds of meds), I would really like to carry less fat in my middle. I've never had kids, so I know that's not a factor. I have been obese pretty mch my entire life which means skin is an issue, but this isn't skin, it's fat.

At 115 my BMI would be 21 or so. I'm definitely not looking to get below that, and I wouldn't mind maintaining at 120 if I feel like I'm the healthiest I can be.

You're right, though, this is a factor which is making it hard for me to call goal.

JenMusic
03-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Yesterday was 1405 calories. Foods got shifted around because I ran errands at a weird time - I needed to get out of the house! - so I ended up having a "lunch" of carrots, jerky, and a Luna Protein bar, then an afternoon snack of a small tortilla with turkey, cole slaw, red wine vinegar and 2 small kiwi. Dinner was the planned lunch, and delicious. I threw in some chili powder and cumin and it was vaguely Mexican. :)

I like that, after dinner, I was able to have a cup of herbal tea and not feel the "need" for something sweet - well, I should say that after a few minutes the craving disappeared. I love sweets, and I know I can work them into my calorie range, but I don't want to be tied to them, KWIM?

Exercise was on plan, but no core work because of time.

+++++++++++
This morning's weight -123.0

Today's plan is, um, not planned. :blush: I'm on spring break and my schedule is wonky and my only goal for the day is to get lots of work done at home and stay within my calorie range. If I make it to the gym, great. If I don't, great. We'll see - maybe after lunch I'll be dying of cabin fever and head over just to get a good sweat going.

I've already eaten breakfast, though, so that was -
English muffin (Thomas 100 cal) with PB2 (I like this for some uses) and raspberry all-fruit spread; 1 egg+2 whites scrambled; 2 pieces turkey bacon - 343 cals

Lunch I'm looking at soup, and I bought a bunch of kale yesterday, so I'm thinking of trying kale chips later.

Dinner - ummm, salmon? Chicken burger?

Sorry for the lack of plan, we'll see how it goes!

mkendrick
03-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Jen, congrats on the loss this week :) I bet that was a pleasant surprise, huh? And there will always be daily fluctuations, but you've definitely trended downward this week, hehe.

And sometimes a relatively unplanned day is kinda fun. Not unplanned as in going way off plan, but figuring it out as you go. I'm like you, I always plan and record all my snacks and meals the night before or that morning, but every once in awhile I'll just plan to have whatever sounds good. Even though I stay within my calorie limit, it feels like the possibilities are endless. Completely just a mental trick, but it's kind of refreshing. Otherwise I'll get stuck in a rut of eating the same foods for weeks just because they're easy to plan, haha.

Edited to add...kale chips were a winner for me. I sprayed them lightly with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkled them with salt. I'm a salt lover, but speaking from experience, a little bit goes a looooooong way on these.

JenMusic
03-09-2011, 02:44 PM
The kale chips were yummy! And one 36 calorie serving was A LOT - in the oven they shrank a little, of course, but it was still a lot of food. I oversalted (I used garlic salt plus black pepper) so I don't want to make that mistake again. But still good.
ETA: Megan, I SOOOOO should have heeded your advice on the salt! :)

So, yesterday was 1339 cals - but only because of a math error! I thought I had gotten up to 1369 (in my range) but only this morning realized I had accidentally entered in a veggie twice, so needed to deduct 30 cals. Oh well.
The food was basically was I had mentioned, but I bought a can of Amy's Lentil Vegetable soup and had half of that at lunch - it was VERY good (and the low sodium version) and filling when paired with some tuna-veggie slaw.

I also broke down and went to Great Harvest Bread. Any of you been there? Such delicious, carby treats. :) Well, I bought a loaf of their High 5 Fiber and had a piece for an afternoon snack. I'm going to eat one slice a day - weighed and tracked, of course - and keep the loaf in the freezer. It's such good quality, dense bread, one slice is enough, for sure.

So, yesterday was a bit low on calories, exercise on plan.

This morning's weight - 122.2. WHAT? I checked it 3 times, moving the scale at one point. I'm willing to call it a fluctuation. And remember, I only record on Mondays, so we'll see what happens by next Monday.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Today's plan:
B- One slice GH bread (167 cals! but worth it) with 1 Tbs. raspberry all-fruit spread; 1 thin slice sharp cheddar; 1 egg+2 whites scrambled with mushrooms and peppers - 426 cals (I'm really enjoying this big breakfast during spring break thing)
S - Not needed
L - Turkey wrap with hummus and spinach; celery sticks; 2 small kiwi - 342 cals
S - 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, 15 grams Fiber One - 136 cals
D - 1 cup Amy's lentil soup (leftover from yesterday); add in chicken breast and broccoli and olive oil - 371 cals
Dessert - strawberries; SF pudding in a cone - 125 cals

Total planned for the day - 1399 cals

Exercise - 45 mins cardio; Upper body strength

Have a good day!

JenMusic
03-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Yesterday was good and on plan. I worked out hard – W2D2 of the C25K – and also did upper body strength. My shoulders are pretty sore today, in a good way.

I subbed NSA ice cream instead of the pudding, which brought my calories up to 1449 for the day.

This morning’s weight was 122.6.

+++++++++++++
Today’s plan-
B – GH bread; LC cheese; scrambled eggs with veggies – 347 cals
S – carrots and celery – 50 cals
L – Greek yogurt parfait – 375 cals
S – beef jerky; walnuts – 170 cals
D – I have 508 cals to spend, and no plan right now. I have food at home, but I’m thinking about more soup. Why am I in a soup mood in the middle of March? :)
Exercise – 20 mins cardio, core strength (I really hate doing abs!)

Have a good day!

oodlesofnoodles
03-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Wow 122! That's amazing! I don't think these are just fluctuations...

JenMusic
03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Another late-ish check-in on this last day of spring break. I'm going to miss it next week. :) Although I'm actually in my office right now, prepping for classes next week, but I don't have to be here, and that's always nice!

Yesterday ended up at 1392 cals, and no workout. I feel every so slightly guilty about skipping the gym, but yesterday was exhausting (new student orientation, which never quite goes according to plan) and when I left the office at almost 5 I was done. I knew if I went to to the gym I would just resent it, so I skipped it. Meh, I'm ok with doing that occasionally. I WILL go today!

This morning's weight was 123.6. See why I refused to let myself get excited about those 122s? :) I bounce around a lot, partially because I refuse to worry too much about sodium, so I just have to take things in stride. We'll see what it is Monday. I won't deny I'm crossing my fingers . . .

+++++++++++++
Today's plan:
B- Scrambled eggs, bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms; GH bread and almond butter and fruit spread - 420 cals (Oh, big breakfast, how I will miss you when you're gone!)
S- Not needed
L - Tuna; veggie slaw; orange - 275 cals
S - Banana and beef jerky - 145 cals
D - I'm going to try to make a lentil soup with chicken breast and veggies. I've never made homemade lentils before, but it looks pretty foolproof. I'm hoping, at least. :) I have over 600 cals left, so I'll use olive oil and maybe have a piece of bread with it.

Exercise - W2D3 of the C25K, and something strength-y. I think I'm due for LB today? I need to check my calendar.

Have a good Friday everyone, and keep thoughts going for our friends in Japan and elsewhere.

ncuneo
03-11-2011, 03:38 PM
It's good to get used to those "fluctations" as that is what maintenance is all about. Your weight just bounces around every day all month and you just hope that the trend is a zig zaggy line that move in a linear direction and is neither going up or down (ok some of us wish it was still going down). It's one of the harder things to get used to in maintenance.

One other word of advice - lentils are NOT fool proof :) I made a lentil salad a week or so ago and over cooked mine, not good. With a soup it's probably more forgiving, but if you don't want your lentils to be mushy watch them like a hawk!

JenMusic
03-12-2011, 01:12 PM
This morning, I realized that all this planning and public tracking (I've been tracking on MyPlate for about a year, but never done it on a thread before) is making me think more about my food, in a good way. Not necessarily to avoid "cheating" or going off-plan, but it makes me think more about my nutrition and has forced me to examine my meal creativity - or lack thereof.

When I started, and for a large chunk of my weight-loss, I rotated through a small number of breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks that I knew would meet my calorie goals and leave me satisfied. I don't regret that. It helped me be very successful and made a lot of what I ate automatic, in the best possible way. But, as I get closer and closer to goal, I have started to see that I don't want to eat like that forever, so I need to learn how to be creative with my food while still getting a rich variety of nutrients AND staying within my calories. Aiya! It's fun to plan this sometimes, daunting other times. But I can see how nutrition, and not just weight loss, could be a continuing goal for maintenance.

Yesterday was on plan. No lentil soup, but thanks, ncuneo, for the warning abut over-cooking! I'll keep it in mind. I realized I had an avocado and a sweet potato at home that needed to get used up, so I made a chicken breast, homemade guacamole, and roasted sweet potato and asparagus drizzled with EVOO. It was a lot of food. That brought total cals for the day to 1367, with room for dessert, BUT I'm trying to teach myself not to always need something sweet when I'm done eating. So I had a mug of green tea, waited, and then decided that I really didn't want anything sweet. So I stopped there.

Exercise was on plan. I've finished 2 weeks of the c25k! I never thought I could do that. :) Looking ahead at next week, they apparently want me to run 3 minutes . . . in a row. Crazy talk.

This morning's weight was 122.8. Yeah, I guess it's good I'm used to fluctuations.

++++++++++++++++++
Today's plan:
B - This was GOOD. I usually just sum up, but just in case anyone's looking for something new to try, I'll give details this time.
1 cup Greek yogurt (I like 2%)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
30 grams dry oats, lightly toasted in a dry, nonstick skillet - DON'T let them burn!
1 Tbs. flax
1 Tbs. chia seeds
vanilla extract and cinnamon to taste
I mixed everything together, but you could also layer it in a glass to make it pretty. It was 378 calories, lots of protein, and the pumpkin puree mixed with the yogurt and chia took on a mousse-y consistency. It's a winner!
L - Cole slaw and green beans with red wine vinegar; GH bread and 1.5Tbs PB; strawberries - 408 cals
D - Ugh. So here is the deal. I'm meeting my parents at a local steakhouse tonight for my mom's birthday dinner. No nutrition info posted, but the menu is online so I've made a plan - top sirloin and steamed broccoli. That's it (it's pretty pricey, so even side salads are a la carte, and I don't need one anyway).

My plan is to ask for no butter/oil on anything. I've looked up nutritionals, and top sirloin is a pretty reasonable choice - 3 oz. is 158 calories, so even if I eat 6 oz. and the broccoli, I'll be at 376 for the meal, taking me to 1162 calories for the day.

But here is the issue - as I've planned my meal, my restricting little voice has returned, telling me that my portion size might be off, there might be added calories somewhere, and that restaurants are notorious for sneaking in fat somewhere on the plate. So I'm really tempted to leave my cals there for the day, and say the rest is a buffer for "hidden" calories.

BUT . . . that's kind of a huge buffer, and probably unnecessary. I'm also thinking ahead to my New Orleans trip next week, which will be splurge-y, so I want to keep today pretty rigidly on plan so I feel OK about 3 high calorie days next week.

Thoughts, anyone???

Exercise is done for the day - 55 mins on the elliptical, and a lame attempt at some core work. :)

Have a good day!

JenMusic
03-12-2011, 04:17 PM
So, adding to today's plan, I decided I was being overly restrictive. I've added a serving of carrots as an afternoon snack (just finished them, actually) and will come home to have some fruit after dinner.

That will bring my day's calories to 1287, which I think gives me wiggle room, but not too much wiggle room, with regards to tonight's restaurant meal and any "hidden" calories that show up on my plate.

Tomorrow, I'll eat up to 1400 or 1450, maybe. Hmmm . . . something else to think about.

JenMusic
03-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Once at the restaurant, out of nowhere, I decided to get filet (was only $5 more than the sirloin). I like filet better, hardly ever get it (or steak at all, actually), but it's so tender. Does everyone except ME know why it's so tender? Yep, that would be because it has more FAT. :) Good thing I had that wiggle room!

So dinner - I ate the entire 7 oz. filet and steamed broccoli - was 408 cals, which is still decent. The server brought out a slice of fudgy chocolate cake at the end of the meal, since my mom had mentioned it was her birthday. I didn't have any, because I knew I wouldn't be able to stop at one bite. My dad was pretty unhelpful, saying several times, "This cake is so good!" :lol:Thanks for the support, Dad. Actually, neither of my parents are food pushers (anymore) so it was fine.

But I really resented not having any cake, so when I came home I nixed the fruit in favor some some frozen chocolate pudding in a cone. It wasn't cake, but it was good.

Total cals for the day - 1368.

This morning's weight was 121.2. YIKES! I know it won't be that low tomorrow on weigh-in day, but it was cool to see.

+++++++++++++++
Today's plan:
B - 2 pieces TJ's french toast; PB2; 1/2 cup pumpkin; SF syrup; 2 pieces turkey bacon - 375 cals
L - Salmon and veggies
D - No idea :)

So . . . last day of spring break. I'm going to stay in my calories, but eat what and when I feel like it. My last bit of being unstructured before the structure of school starts again.

Exercise - I'll do a tape, or get a walk in, this afternoon before dinner.

Here's to a good Sunday!

JenMusic
03-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Yesterday was at 1416 cals for the day, but a weird day emotionally (I was moody and easily annoyed and sort of blue all day - IDK, hormones?) and I really just wanted to eat all day. I didn't exercise - Sunday is my usual rest day and, although I thought I would use yesterday to make up for my unplanned rest day last Thursday, I just didn't have it in me to haul out a tape.

All that to say, cals were on plan, but an overall moody day.

This morning's (tracked) weigh-in was 122.0! Yippee! :D

So, here are my thoughts regarding this week. I leave for my conference in New Orleans on Wednesday morning, and am there until Saturday night. That's 4 days of being at the mercy of whatever food I can find there - I'll take some protein bars, oranges, and PB packets, but I'm going to be staying downtown with no car, so it really will be a weird food time.

In preparation for that, and knowing that I'll be planning to eat higher cals those days, I've decided to have today and tomorrow under 1300. So the restriction monster isn't necessarily kicking in when you look at the food plan these days.

++++++++++++++++++
Today's plan-
B: GH bread with raspberry fruit spread and slice of sharp cheddar; 1 egg+2 whites with spinach - 345 cals
L - Greek yogurt, canned pumpkin, oats, flax, chia - 380 cals
S - Cole slaw in red wine vinegar; banana - 130
D - Chicken breast, kale, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, small whole wheat tortilla, olive oil, strawberries - 354 cals

Total for the day - 1258 cals

Exercise - c25k W3D1; UB strength

Have a good Monday!

JenMusic
03-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Yesterday was a saga of hormones, as attested to on another thread. :) I ended the day at 1282 cals, with planned exercise, though.

This morning's weight was 122.6, so up from yesterday. Eh.

Super quick check-in today, since classes are now in full swing and I'm running behind on my morning.

+++++++++++++++
Today's plan will be to use up as much produce/fresh food as I can, as I leave town tomorrow for New Orleans!
B - Bread, eggs, LC wedge, turkey bacon - 320
S - Raw veggies - 52
L - Turkey wrap with hummus and more spinach than really fit :); 3 small kiwi - 350
S - Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup pumpkin - 200
D - Random leftover veggies from fridge, avocado and salsa, turkey bacon (trying to use up package before I leave); strawberries - 283 cals

Brings my cals for the day to 1205, which is low, but the rest of the week won't be!

Exercise - 30 mins cardio, LB strength

Later!

JenMusic
03-16-2011, 04:46 AM
Yesterday was OP, 1248 cals. This morning's weight was 122.4.

I leave for New Orleans shortly. The plan is to not gain back all my weight in 3 days. :p

I'm excited but also anxious. Like, I can't trust myself around "real" food (by which I mean, food that hasn't been planned and prepared and measured to the nth degree).

This is NOT the first time I've traveled since changing my WOE! Why am I psyching myelf out? Is it because I'm so close to goal? Aiya!

Don't think I'll be able to get online much while I'm there, at least not enough for regular updates. I'll check back in Sunday.

Have a good day!

JenMusic
03-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Back from New Orleans!

It was a great trip. I ate what I wanted, which was too much. :) It wasn't too bad until Saturday, the day I left, when I really overdid it in an uncontrolled, must-eat-everything-I-see way. That was kind of a yucky feeling. I did manage to workout on the treadmill at the hotel on Thursday and Saturday, and we walked TONS anyway. So there was lots of activity.

I got home late Saturday night. Sunday morning my weight was 124.7. This morning I weighed in at 121.8! Huh??? I have problems believing that - I did do calorie estimates for the days I was in NO, and I was at 2500-3200 all 4 days. So I expect a bounce up at some point - maybe not a big one, but I can't believe my weight actually went down after all that excess.

Anyway, I've decided that this will be my last post in this thread. The original intent was just to track what happened in my maintenance range experiment, and that's long finished. I think I'm going to be calling maintenance soon-ish (I hope) so I'll just track for myself.

Thanks for anyone who read and posted and provided feedback. Sometimes it's just good to bounce things off one another.

Good luck to everyone!