PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #1  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Default pcos and weight loss plateau

So My maintenance calories are about 2500 I TRY to b between 1500 and 2k calories...granted I blew that out of the water yesterday with the turkey and the brownies. I drink TONSSS of water. but I can not seem to get past 300 lbs. I get to 300.2 then go bk up...currently at 301.6 any ideas ? this is sooo discouraging....I hate this soooo muccchhh!!!! I just kind of feel like all the effort I am putting forth isn't doing any good Sigh. Any Ideas to get over my plateau?
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

You know, this is going to sound strange, but it may just be the 300 barrier that's keeping you back. Time and again posters complain about being just one pound away from big milestones. It's so frustrating! I've been there. See all my mini goals in my signature? I stuck one pound away from each and every one of them!! I think it's possible we put stress on ourselves about it unintentionally. We can't help being excited to get there, but our bodies know. We can never fool our bodies.

Advice though? Stick with it. That's my best advice. Always before my problem with weight loss was not losing weight. I always lost it, but very slowly given the intensity I was putting in with both diet and exercise. The problem is I always gave up. So this time instead of committing to a poundage goal, I made a goal of sticking through this for a year. I made it through one year and was/am so proud of myself! I lost 75 pounds in one year's time just because I didn't give up.

Actually busting through a plateau? I've always had a few tricks up my sleeve to try.

Increase the calories, decrease the calories, cycle the calories (some high days, some low days), increase the veggies, change the time of day you eat each meal, increase the intensity of the workout, add weight training if you aren't doing it and increase it if you are, add more activity to your day by getting in 5 minute walks here and there or doing squats during commercial breaks.

Basically, make some kind of change. Our bodies get really efficient with whatever good we are giving it and sometimes they fight us.

And just so you know, I have/had PCOS. It's not impossible to lose weight, but I do think those of us who have it take just a bit longer to reach our goals.

Last edited by Eliana; 02-21-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6''

have you tried pilates?? when my doctor and i were exploring the possibility of PCOS she told me, "sure cardio is great. but for weight loss when you have pcos i haven't seen better results than with pilates and strength training."

this was a few years ago, but I lost 40 pounds, pretty quickly, by adding pilates a few times a week.

Last edited by lucyford; 02-21-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling error
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #4  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Thanks, I move as much as I can. I even put my computer on my dresser so that I have to stand to be on it. It normally ends up in me moving more. I rarely sit down I am always on my feet. Weight training is a bit harder. I try to do body weight exersizes i.e. modified push ups, sit ups lunges etc. I eat a ton of protein. I normally try to mix up my calories too I am going to keep at it. I will make it this time but I just can't seem to get past this. I was down to 299 before but gained it bk this was mos ago. Sigh. I have been monitoring my waist measurements more than my scale but its still like ummm....cause I can't get smaller in my waist without the scale going down .
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242/183/160

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyford View Post
have you tried pilates?? when my doctor and i were exploring the possibility of PCOS she told me, "sure cardio is great. but for weight loss when you have pcos i haven't seen better results than with pilates and strength training."

this was a few years ago, but I lost 40 pounds, pretty quickly, by adding pilates a few times a week.
Pilates? Really? Awesome. I've always liked pilates but I've never spent much time with it because I guess I didn't feel it was "hardcore" enough for me to lose weight. I'm definitely going to have to try that one out for myself.
oxymoronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

My best suggestion is to keep on plugging forward, and make sure you're keeping close track of your intake, and maybe add some additional workouts like palates or just some extra walks or something.

I'm currently stuck at 260, and gettting reaaaaaalllllllly tired of it. My Dr has me trying out Metformin as I don't appear to be processing insulin correctly (yay PCOS). I do 45 min kickboxing 3 days a week & 3 days of str traning 3 different days of str training with resistance bands every week + walk. I cut out soda, bleached enriched everything, blah blah blah (except for one “fun” meal & snack a week”). I feel like I’m swimming upriver with a stick instead of a paddle… BUT I WILL break this plateau and so will you. And when you do I’m betting you’ll be thrilled. Just keep on plugging and eventually your body will have to cooperate.

Also make sure you don’t have a thyroid problem if you haven’t already. I have a friend who had a huge thyroid problem she didn’t know about. Took awhile to get it all sorted out, but she has a much easier time losing weight now. Now she's just kicking my butt in weight loss while I sit here at idle and workout 300x harder lol.
tsuninight is offline   Reply With Quote