Alternachicks - Movies That Make You Think

View Full Version : Movies That Make You Think

barefootgrrrl
12-08-2002, 02:45 PM
I saw one last night with DH on cable :

Monster's Ball with Halle Berry, Heath Ledger and Billy Bob Thornton and the father from Everybody Loves Raymond

I can't get it out of my head, I've been analyzing and analyzing and thinking and thinking - those are the best kind of movies, I think.

Which movies have done this to you? What movies do you recommend for Alternachick entertainment?

Love, Terri

ellis
12-08-2002, 02:57 PM
Good idea, Terri. I haven't seen that one.

How about K-PAX?

barefootgrrrl
12-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Yes, Ellis

K PAX is good. We'll never know the answer, will we?

Terri :) PS - Kevin Spacey was sooo good in that role

Lidian
12-08-2002, 09:16 PM
How about Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire? One of my favorites - a German movie about two angels, one of whom wants to become human, in the city of Berlin. They go all around the (divided) city observing people (invisibly) and their joys and sorrows, though they cannot really help them...I know it may sound weird or possibly annoying! But it is really amazing - I think it is largely a silent movie as I recall.

We also saw "Kandahar" recently and that was quite thought-provoking too. I like documentaries a lot!

Lidian

mauvaisroux
12-08-2002, 09:50 PM
Wings of desire is an awsome movie!

One of my faves is Lost Highway by David Lynch- there is one little part that explains the whole film and if you miss it you don't get the movie.

I loved Magnolia too-I like stories where total strangers lives are interconnected by strange events. Fate, Karma, life choices and for every cause there is an effect are always a fascinating topics for me.

Another movie that makes you think is was The 6th Day. All that stuff about genetic engineering and cloning :yikes:

VelvetCyberpunk
12-08-2002, 09:59 PM
OK, I have to tell you if you have a thread that in any way lets me bring up Blade Runner you are just asking for it! LOL! It' is such a good film, and it really did make me think. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet the movie is set in 2019 and is about these cyborg/ synthetic humans called replicants who are so close to human that there is a special test given to see if they are in fact human or replicants. The replicants are illeagal on earth and will be kiiled if detected by special police called Blade Runners. The part that makes me think is if you make a creature that can think, feel, love, care, be frightenend, and all of those sorts of emotions, and cognitive abilities is it ok to kill them? What makes a human a human? I don't know I just love that deep stuff, and besides the movie is just brilliant to look at as well. Anyone here seen it?

rochemist
12-09-2002, 12:16 AM
I have Blade Runner Directors cut and visually it sets the tone for much sci-fi to come. I think Steven Speilberg always wished he made it, and his pittiful attempt was AI. Same theme, what is the spark that makes us human? I don't know, I think sometimes I can't see it myself. During the ST Voyager series everytime they ran into the glitch with the holo-Dr I was always like re-boot, but if I had my own robot boy(or replicant) living in my house would I feel different? I also think the other issue is slavery, when do you stop owning your creations and they own themselves? Our children included?

Monster's Ball was also very good. I think it really touches that thing inside each of us, what make us good or bad? Are we in touch with our humanity or just living the doll-drums of our existence?

Magnolia, I liked it and the way the story came together. But it was missing something for me. Same with K-Pax, I thought the movie was a reflection of the shallowness in each of us it was betraying. Does that make sense?

I have to say my most thought provoking flicks of recent are Fight Club. There is visual subtelties, along with a true humanity. Catch phrases and how easily we are bought and sold. How we define ourselves by the things we own or by job we have. It took me 3 viewings to get the meaning to the core of my being and it shook there with my life and even my eating seeming so much more shallow.

I also really enjoyed Donnie Darko. As a child of the 80's and a sci-fi fan it hit both the displacement that Gen X sometimes feels with the irony of dying to live.

Well there is my thought. Whew. I had a few more than I thought!
Miss Chris:cool:

mauvaisroux
12-09-2002, 10:43 AM
Run Lola Run

Apocalypse Now

Vanilla Sky

Magnolia

Memento

American Beauty

Lidian
12-09-2002, 11:12 AM
28 Up and 35 Up (the Michael Apted documentaries about the lives of British children in the 60s, followed up every 7 years)

Roger and Me

Stranger Than Paradise

Down By Law

It's a Wonderful Life (the annual Christmas thought-provoker!)

Lidian

Sojourner
12-09-2002, 03:43 PM
Fight Club... rebellion, anti-capitalism, anti-establishment, the evils of matialism and consumerism, anti-religion, Brad Pitt at his hottest, and a mindbending plot twist that you won't forget! This is one of my all time favorite movies and literally changed the way I thought about western culture... despite the movie's hints of neo-facism and testosterone drenched male chauvinism. Warning... this movie is not for the faint of heart... I imagine that many folks won't be able to get past the brutal violence throughout the film. You'll either love it or hate it.

American Beauty... exploring the theme of not living true to yourself and being bound by societal norms... life is short, carpe diem... a familiar theme but masterfully told in this brilliant film.

Memento... film making at its creative best... no lessons here but will keep you guessing until the end.

Dead Man Walking... a thought-provoking look at capital punishment... absolutely heart-wrenching no matter where you stand on the issue.

The Matrix... besides being a great action/science fiction movie... the unexpected but numerous underlying Christian themes and parallels were enough to keep me thinking for a very long time.

Heathers... a Gen-X cult classic... Winona Ryder and Christian Slater take teenage angst, the evils of conformity and rebellion to their extremes.

There are more but will have to think about it...

Wanttolosealot
12-09-2002, 03:49 PM
Better Than Chocolate- loved it, want to see it again.
Monster Ball- very good movie, love Hallie Berry
Sixth Sense

rochemist
12-09-2002, 05:11 PM
Also must recommend Heathers and the Matrix. Other examples of film making at it's best.

True Romance-dialogue and subplots tie this movie together in a way that it is even taught in the American Film Making Class here in Omaha.

Snatch and Lock,Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels will take you on a trip you will never forget.

Anyone who had to make a choice about choosing their addictions from chocolate to heroin should check out Trainspotting.

Right now since it is also close to my heart and mind Fellowship of the Rings Extended Version. Not only is there an excellent amount of eye candy for everyone, one must ask themselves what are the characteristics of all the peoples of Middle Earth? And do we do our best to exemplify the best of those things or not. The war in heaven and the Aurthurian Legend are also there for the taking!

Miss Chris :cool:
Movie Lover!

Sojourner
12-09-2002, 05:18 PM
the horrifying "Requiem for a Dream"... another movie about addictions. These white teenager drug addicts will haunt you for days.

Yes Rochemist... looks like we have similar tastes in movies! I have a twisted sense of humor and a love for the subversive and ironic, maybe you share these traits as well? Also should add that I also LOVE the Lord of the Rings books and first movie. Can't wait to see the next.

mauvaisroux
12-10-2002, 12:07 AM
American History X- very controvertial film at the time as a lot of people were saying that it promoted racism because of the skinheads in it. To me it was more about how someone can change themselves and their way of thinking and have a whole life reversal and I found it to be anti-racist. Ed Norton is the lead and he is amazing in it. I highly recommend it but it is very dark in theme and violent, not for the faint of heart.

Sojourner
12-10-2002, 01:49 AM
This is on my "movies to watch" list... heard it is very dark and upsetting. I love Edward Norton though, so must see it.

mauvaisroux
12-10-2002, 10:47 AM
Sojo-yes, it is a disturbing film but it really makes you think and it does give you some hope too. Great performances in this film-very compelling.

I hear Shindler's list is an amazing film but I have not worked up the courage to see it yet. I have a really hard time watching films about the holocaust-I get really upset by them. I watched a documentary on the holocaust when I was a kid with very graphic footage and I don't think I got over it-it made me angry and sad at the same time and I still can't watch these movies with out bawling my eyes out-they are too emotionally draining for me.

rochemist
12-10-2002, 04:43 PM
Shindler's List was very powerful. I watched it in German, and cried harder and longer than I did in the theatre, because it seemed so much more real to me. Same with Europa! Europa!

Speaking of foreign films Eat, Drink, Man, Woman is one of my favorites as well as Tokyo Express. Both have a high pace and energy and explore what we want to get from our lives and interpersonal relationships. Fun on the martial arts front: Who am I; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon;Mr. Nice Guy

If you liked Heathers, then let me recommend Drop Dead Gorgeous and Serial Mom. Dying beauty contestansts and killer moms!I do like the twisted and subversive.

Just for fun: Check out the New Guy! Reminds me of all those wonderful teen anghst movies from my childhood. Breakfast Club always gave me alot to think about! Along with Sixteen Candles and my favorite Some Kind of Wonderful. Pretty in Pink was pretty cool too. Gee I date myself!

Miss Chris

squeaker
12-10-2002, 06:30 PM
My favorite "make you think" movies are :

Before Sunrise - Can the love of your life only last one night?

The Crow - Always makes me cry

Memento - which I think someone mentioned all ready

Sliding Doors - Its the little things that can make a big difference

Even if you don't like Stephen King - watch The Green Mile.

Chasing Amy - wonderful different love story. Holden's confession to Alyssa in the rain gets me everytime.

Ok I gotta put this in here:

Holden: I love you. And not, not in a friendly way, although I think we're great friends. And not in a misplaced affection, puppy-dog way, although I'm sure that's what you'll call it. I love you. Very, very simple, very truly. You are the epitome of everything I have ever looked for in another human being. And I know that you think of me as just a friend, and crossing that line is the furthest thing from an option you would ever consider. But I had to say it. I just, I can't take this anymore. I can't stand next to you without wanting to hold you. I can't, I can't look into your eyes without feeling that, that longing you only read about in trashy romance novels. I can't talk to you without wanting to express my love for everything you are. And I know this will probably queer our friendship - no pun intended - but I had to say it, because I've never felt this way before, and I don't care. I like who I am because of it. And if bringing this to light means we can't hang out anymore, then that hurts me. But God, I just, I couldn't allow another day to go by without just getting it out there, regardless of the outcome, which by the look on your face is to be the inevitable shoot-down. And, you know, I'll accept that. But I know...I know that some part of you is hesitating for a moment, and if there is a moment of hesitation, then that means you feel something too. All I ask, please, is that you just, you just not dismiss that - and try to dwell in it for just ten seconds. Alyssa, there isn't another soul on this f***ng planet who has ever made me half the person I am when I'm with you, and I would risk this friendship for the chance to take it to the next plateau. Because it is there between you and me. You can't deny that. Even if, you know, even if we never talk again tonight, please know that I'm forever changed because of who you are and what you've meant to me, which - while I do appreciate it - I'd never need a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind me of.

mauvaisroux
12-10-2002, 07:56 PM
Cool Squeak! I loved Chasing Amy too, and Dogma is another one of my faves.

Braveheart-although some of it is rather fanciful and they did take liberties with history in some parts-it shows some of what happened to the Scottish at the hands of the English nobility (and some of their own people who sold out to the English).
It was a very stirring movie-just listening to the soundtrack makes me emotional.

VelvetCyberpunk
12-11-2002, 04:35 AM
I also thought "But I'm a Cheerleader" was very thought provoking. It really makes you think about gay stereotypes, and what makes a man a man, and what makes a woman, a woman. Also, about how you can't have a 12 step program to make a person straight. I loved this movie.

tamibeep
12-11-2002, 11:14 AM
I really like foreign films, like Amelie and Life is Beautiful, and anything by Pedro Almodovar or Akira Kurisawa.

I think what gets me about them is the wide range of people that they show... it really makes me aware of how Hollywood is so limited in what they consider beautiful. Foreign movies seem have a wider variety- they show old people and fat people and wrinkly people and hairy people and people with imperfect teeth and blemished skin, and they seem so much more human to me than perfect plastic people in movies. I like that, maybe because it makes me feel like it's okay that I'm not a Barbie doll, that my story is still important.

Or it could be the hot foreign guys with sexy accents. I dunno. :D

mauvaisroux
12-11-2002, 11:42 AM
I totally agree with you on the foreign films.

Everyone seems more down to earth and human and you are right about the plastic effect. Most of the people in foreign films look like everyday joes, living life,falling in love, facing obstacles,sometimes they are ordinary people dealing with extraordinary circumstances or are or having weird things happen to them. I seem to be able to relate to them more, maybe because I have ended often up in Lynchesque situations myself:lol:

I am not a big chick flck or romance film fan but I really enjoyed the films "Like Water for Chocolate" and "Chocolat" (maybe I just like films about chocolate :lol: ).

Pedro Almovadar's "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" is also one of my faves-I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my face! I also think the romances and sex scenes are more passionate and more believable in these films.

I always get bashed for saying this because there was a storm of controversy over this film when it was released but I really liked the movie "The Lover".

ellis
12-11-2002, 11:49 AM
I agree with you; too, Tami.
I HATE seeing pretty faces all the time!
You know what I love... it's not particularly deep, but I love "Waking Ned Devine".
And Margaret's Museum.

Punkinseed
12-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Another great thought provoking topic!

Beloved - pity that more people didn't take this movie in. I thought about this movie for months after I saw it - the symbolism in it was amazing and heartbreaking.

Dogma - I appreciate the balls it took for Kevin Smith to do this movie. To refer to God as "he" and "she" alternately and discussing Catholicism like they did was pretty brave.

American Beauty - Like the movie trailer said "look deeper" - 'nuff said

The Green Mile - Only Stephen King movie I cried watching

Life is Beautiful - Inspired me to learn Italian. Incredible story, but taught me a huge lesson - it's about living life the best you can and not letting what's happening in life rule you.

Truly, Madly, Deeply - Cried again. The thought that loved one who've passed *want* to see us love again just tore me up and made me hope it was true.

Terri

Arabella
12-11-2002, 03:44 PM
Hey, Punkin -- Wasn't Alan Rickman in Truly, Madly, Deeply? Loved it!

Wanttolosealot
12-11-2002, 05:06 PM
I loved But I am a CHeerleader , as well. Such a good movie. Have you seen Better than CHocolate. Good movie too!

ellis
12-11-2002, 05:47 PM
So.... anybody read any good books lately? :D

Punkinseed
12-11-2002, 07:10 PM
:o Yes Alan Rickman was in Truly, Madly, Deeply :love:

As for good books... I read Jemima J recently - great book. About a girl who falls for someone online and has to try to loose 80 pounds before she meets him - and all the fun of realizing looks mean *nothing*.

Terri

Theotoks
12-12-2002, 12:27 AM
Yikes!

Memento - what a Mind F@#$

Dead Man Walking - I LOVE the power of this movie

When a Man Loves a Woman - the kid just breaks my heart

Bowling for Columbine - Michael Moore usually makes me laugh, but I sobbed through this movie

Groundhog Day - repeating your mistakes, people?

dentrassi
12-12-2002, 12:37 AM
I REALLY want to see Bowling for Columbine.

Punkinseed
12-12-2002, 11:17 AM
Bowling for Columbine sounds a little too intense for me...

Theotoks, hi there! Saw where you're from and got warm, fuzzy kinda homesick feelings.... I'm from Napa. :wave:

Terri

rochemist
12-12-2002, 11:31 AM
Loved all the Kevin Smith movies from Clerks to Chasing Amy to Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back(this is an awesome soundtrack by the way!). He puts out a real human point of view and I think thats why his movies resonate so well with people. It was the same when he was writing on Daredevil the comic, not the movie(I don't know how deep it is but I will be at the theatre in Feb. to watch it).

Enjoyed some irony last night with Comic Book Villians. There is a scene in the end where 2 of the 4 main characters are talking about how good the pursuit of the chase is. I thought it was quite though provokiing since I seem to be on a perpetual pursuit for anything to make my life more interesting.

You gals keep this up and my Netflix list will keep growing;)

rochemist
12-13-2002, 03:16 PM
I don't know where religion has taken a place in the last 24 hours but TallTracy got quite a few ladies fired up in the journals with her rant about Christmas is for Christians. Then I found myself watching Dogma last night. Rufus spoke to my heart more than ever before. The whole part about ideas vs. beliefs. It gets my approval.

Then today I watched Stolen Summer. Talk about a movie that will make you think, and all from the perspective of an 8 year old. Its about a Jewish family and a Catholic family, and belonging to the family of men. Really good. Four hankies at least:)

Miss Chris
:p

Punkinseed
12-13-2002, 06:30 PM
Ooooh Chris! Didn't ya just love Dogma??? One of my favorite movies - and I'm Pagan.
There's a huge part of me that would love to go jump into a "Christmas is for Christians" fight - but I shall refrain... let them think what they will
(if it weren't for the celebration of the rebirth of light at winter solstice there would be no holiday to Christianize into Christmas - sorry, rant over, I whispered)

Much love to you open-minded lovely women you,

Terri

squeaker
12-13-2002, 06:45 PM
Dogma is a wonderful movie. I am with you Chris - the ideas vs. beliefs is one of the best parts.

I havn't checked out the debate going on in the journals. Probably shouldn't. I do celebrate Christmas though I am probably agnostic. It is the closest thing. For me I just celebrate life, family, and good fortune. I also pay attention to when Hanukkah is, and know some of the background on it. I have tried to fast a day for Rahmadan with my old roommate. That didn't work out so well. Just couldn't last all day. I have read things on Pagan rituals. I think it is all facinating. I just don't think one is any better, or any more "right" then another.

But anyway, this is the movie thread - so I will just add I LOVE Kevin Smith and all his movies. I am interested in seeing Jersey Girl when it comes out since it will be his first non-Jay & Silent Bob movie. Actually a film written & directed by Jeff Anderson (Randal from Clerks) is opening in NYC this weekend. I can't wait for wide release. :)

ellis
12-13-2002, 07:39 PM
That's true, Terri! Christmas is a "stolen" holiday. :D

I was going to go and look at that thread; too, Squeak. But I'd probably get into a fit of rage at the intolerance of some people.

I'm a Christian, but I have no objection to sharing Christmas with everyone. It's a time for love, and that's really all we're here for. I love and respect all of you for your different beliefs.
I just don't understand Christians who get into a rage about these things.

I know this isn't the "poetry thread", but anyhow... ;)
My father read this at my wedding.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels,
but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong
or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy
and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but
do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess
to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,
but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it
does not boast, it is not proud. Love is never rude.
Love is not jealous, it is not self-seeking, it is not
easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the
truth. There is no limit to love's forbearance,
to its trust, its hope, its power to endure.

Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will
come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease;
as for knowledge, it will come to an end. For we
know only in part; but when the complete comes,
the partial will come to an end. When I was a child,
I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned
like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to
childish ways. For now we see in a mirror, dimly,
but then we will see face to face. Now I know only
in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been
fully known.

And now these three remain:
Faith, Hope and Love.
But the greatest of these is Love.

1 Corinthians 13:1-7

Ruthxxx
12-13-2002, 10:40 PM
Ellis, I read that at my Dad's funeral - through tears, of course. Beautiful! (I do "through tears" at Christenings, Weddings and Funerals! I am considering being a professional mourner in my next incarnation!) I am not abig fan of mysoginist St Paul but he does have a way with words!

ellis
12-14-2002, 12:39 AM
Hmmm, funny. I'm not a big fan of his, either. ;)
Let me know when you pass over, and I'll come and wail at your wedding. I'm pretty damned good at mourning, too.
NOT that I'm assuming you're going before me, of course.

VelvetCyberpunk
12-14-2002, 01:03 AM
Isn't stolen german for bread? LOL! :dizzy: :lol:

Anyhoo, I saw that journal entry, and it was in response to Joy Behar griping on the view that the president sent out Jesus specific holiday greeting, and the journal writer took exception to that. I was tempted to title my journal Christmas is for everyone but I resisted. First, Joy has a right to her opinion, and second I do think Christmas is for everyone, because all people can relate to peace on earth, good will toward people, and being with family and friends. And Ellis is absolutely right the Christians appropriated the Winter Solstice celebration for Christmas to "presuade" pagans to be baptized, and so they used the tree, holly, and the time of year as the time to celebrate Christmas, Jesus was actually born in April, most think April 6th. Oh well, thats why I hang out in here, it's so loving and accepting in here. Love you guys!

ellis
12-14-2002, 08:29 AM
BTW, Ruthie... you spelled "misogynist" incorrectly. :D I just couldn't resist correcting our much revered Queen of the English Language. :lol:

Ruthxxx
12-14-2002, 09:46 AM
mysoginist/misogynist OMG!!!!!! I am so mortified! I'll never be able to show my head around here again! Whodathunkit!

cheez
12-15-2002, 12:23 AM
Oh boy, I have to jump in here....

First off, on the movies, I have too many to list but totally agree about Michael Moore films and Kevin Smith's "Dogma."

I recently read "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides. Gender bending plus a little history thrown in. Good read. I'm finally reading his first book, "The Virgin Suicides." Oh, and I'm reading a bio of Marie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser. And rereading David Sedaris's Santaland Diaries and Holidays on Ice, too.

Ok, I don't know about the journal debate but I've got to say something. First, I think the Pres. should be more sensitive about his holiday card selection. But, to parphrase Monty Python's Holy Grail, "You're fooling yourself, we're living in a theocracy."

Second, I boycott The View and Payless Shoes because of Starr Jones. A while back she said she would not vote for an atheist for Pres. or ever let one babysit her (hypothetical) children. There was a minor backlash but she refused to retract it. Then there was a rumor that she did retract it so I emailed her and said, "Hey, good for you, that's hard to do. But I'm sure you've had your struggles as a minority so I'm glad to see you're being more mindful of religious minorities, too." Well, she wrote back quickly and said no way would she or did she retract her statements, she stands by them 100%. Now, if she had said that about Jewish people or gays or people who graduated from Princeton or whoever, she wouldn't have gotten away with it. I guess atheists are still fair game. Phooey on her!

I may be a heathen but I still love the holidays and what they're *supposed* to be about. Cheers!

dentrassi
12-15-2002, 12:35 AM
That is why I don't go around advertising it. When Madalyn Murray O'Hair (and family) were murdered they decided she ran away to Mexico, and they didn't investigate for 5 years. Even that "liberal" Gore said he wanted prayer back in the schools. Gays/Lesbians/Transgendered, atheists and fat people. Still open season.

VelvetCyberpunk
12-15-2002, 12:44 AM
I totally agree Den, if you are a pagan, or god forbid an atheist, fat, or gay you may as well forget about anyone worrying about your civil rights. Well, I would vote for an atheist for President if he/she were they right man or woman for the job. They are just as moral, and ethical as a believing person, look at Isaac Asimov, he was a wonderful, caring, and honest person, and he was totally atheist. People like Star Jones make me want to vomit. But hey what can you expect? She thinks O.J. is innocent.

cheez
12-15-2002, 12:47 AM
Hey, Dentrassi, you're right about that! I don't advertise it, either. Well, unless by "advertising" you mean talking about it online 1/2 the time!

Guess this means my big overweight, atheist, liberal, gay-friendly self is in trouble!

(anyone here in another country looking for a roommate?)

dentrassi
12-15-2002, 01:04 AM
I know what you mean!! Just hope nobody is reading this and connecting it with who we really are through "CARNIVORE" or else our Canadian friends will have a few unexpected visitors!!!!

rochemist
12-15-2002, 03:55 AM
I ran into this at work some years ago. One of the ladies found out my hubby was an atheist and I was agnostic. She walked up to me and said, "And I thought you were such a nice girl".Like being nice and religion had anything in common. In fact I think we have seen in the news in the last year some very holy people have done some very BAD things.

As far as Starr Jones and the View is concerned I usually only watch it to laugh. Who even knows whats going on with them trying to speak over each other?

Two more movie recomends:
1. The Sex Monster- not only do I love Margeaux Hemmingway(which I probably spelled wrong!) this movie makes people think about experimenting with their relationships and the outcome I would say is very true.

2. The Long Kiss Goodnight- I don't know about thinking but Geena Davis kicks butt!

Isaac Asimov by the way was one of the greatest, most talented minds of the 20th century. The other one was Linus Pauling and I have no idea of his religious/sexual preference either. Why does that stuff matter. If your happy, not killing anyone, contributing in a positive way to existence then that should be good enough!

Miss Chris:)

ellis
12-15-2002, 09:17 AM
Cabaret. Incredible. A subtle commentary.

ellis
12-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Oh. And "Ordinary People". Excellent.

ellis
12-15-2002, 09:30 AM
"In the Bedroom"... incredible tension. And unexpectedly menacing.

barefootgrrrl
12-15-2002, 11:01 AM
I know this is the movie thread and I did come here to tell you about a movie I saw last night, but I have to say that after reading these messages here......I am so comforted.

Ok, call me crazy (most do! he he), but I walk through day to day life with the eyes and heart of an observer, an outsider, a stranger and yet I come here to Alternachicks and it feels like home.

This has got to be the most loving and tolerant group I have ever known - online or in the real world. Sometimes when I come to read or post here, it feels like I've just fallen into a big ole warm love puddle :)

Thank you all for being the great women that you are.

We saw " Far From Heaven" last night with Julianne Moore and Dennis Quaid ( hope I spelled those right).

It was a rather disturbing view of repressed lives in the 1950s, but the acting was flawless and the cinematography was interesting - very colorful -it reminded me of Pleasantville.

Thanks for all the great movie ideas. I've started a list based on all these recommendations ! thanks! I love brain food.

Love, Terri

PS - is somebody debating religion somewhere on 3FC? That is a fruitful exercise ( tongue in cheek, here)

Ruthxxx
12-15-2002, 12:46 PM
Aaaaw, Terri! A Big Warm Love Puddle! How sweet! Great title for a movie, by the way.
I've not been posting here because we enver see films :( but know I could come in here and say the "A Christmas Carol" makes me think and nobody would dump on me.
Gods and Goddesses Bless Us, everyone!

ellis
12-15-2002, 02:31 PM
Terri, you're just the sweetest thing and we love you. :)
And yes, let's stop talking about religion. There's no need for that here. I respect all of you, you (I hope) all respect me for my beliefs. So let's just shut the heck up and get down to some serious smutty gossip. :D

Ruth, ditto on the movies. I just don't get out very much to see new movies. That's why I dragged in a few older ones. :D
I was thinking of plays, too. Seen any good ones lately? I was just looking at the reviews for "Clout", with Eric Peterson and R.H. Thomson. I saw it last year at the NAC and loved it. It didn't have great reviews though. People either loved it or hated it... some people left the theatre within the first 15 minutes. It was very heady. I was so excited at been mentally stimulated after so long. My teacher friend who was with me didn't understand it at all. Make what you like of THAT.

flower
12-15-2002, 04:44 PM
I just thought of one I don't think you mentioned yet. The Time Machine. I saw it on DVD this summer. It was trippy and didn't leave the same sour taste in my mouth like Planet of the Apes did.

cheez
12-15-2002, 05:00 PM
Ellis, I'm sorry. I didn't want to fuel a religious debate. I don't want to debate it at all! I can't judge anyone else's religious beliefs anymore than I can judge their taste in vegetables. To each his own and we're all the better for it.

I think Terri is right and that's why I like to come to this place, even though it's infrequent.

Fwiw, I'm a teacher (Ellis....!) I just took my kids through "To Kill a Mockingbird" and a discussion of the film. It was very thought provoking. They are now finishing Two Towers so we can all go to the movies next Thursday (yes, me and a dozen 13 yr olds!) Last year we did the same with Fellowship AND Time Machine (read book and saw both film versions).

ellis
12-15-2002, 07:17 PM
Oh, Cheez... you sweet thing you... no need to apologize.
My parents were both teachers, my sister is a teacher, and so is her partner. Naturally as a mere "stay at home mom", I have a terrible inferiority complex. I wasn't putting down teachers, I assure you! :D Just trying to give myself a boost. ;)
I LOVE "To Kill a Mockingbird"! I'm usually disappointed when a book is made into a movie, but the film was wonderfully well done.
Actually, we gave our son the middle name "Harper", after Harper Lee. I wish she had written more books.

dentrassi
12-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Lots of good movies!!! Cabaret, To Kill a Mockingbird, ordinary people, A Christmas Carol. My kids have on "A Christmas Story" right now. Very funny movie (DON'T SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!!!) Another good holiday film..."Comfort and Joy" about a radio DJ who gets caught up in the gang war between two competing ice-cream companies after his girlfriend leaves him at the holidays. VERY GOOD.

barefootgrrrl
12-15-2002, 09:29 PM
oh Cheez......please no apology. All I meant was that anytime I see discussions of religion or politics- it makes me think that it is a circular thread - going on and on and on , because these are topics for which everyone has their own unique views.

I have a cute story about my dear great grandmother. When she was about 90 yrs old, she was very cute, sweet and very tiny with a big funny smile. She lived in a condo in Florida. She was a devout Christian, but became used to her family inviting all kinds of people of all spiritual beliefs over for dinner and heated discussion.

One year on Christmas Eve - there we were - a big diverse group in her dining room enjoying a lively debate. She was trying to keep the peace - telling everybody to "just be nice". I went out to the kitchen to help her get the food ready to serve just as the discussion turned from religion to politics. I saw her roll her eyes. A few minutes later as we walked into the dining room with plates of food, I announced - "hey! politics and religion! now we should discuss sex!" to which my grandmother replied without hesitation: " politics, religion AND sex! now that ought to really burn the place down!"

:lol:

maybe you had to be there to really enjoy that one, but to this day I find myself laughing hysterically to just picture it. She was adorable :)

Terri

squeaker
12-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Terri - that is adorable. :)

Ok I am a complete odd ball - my favorite Christmas movie is Nightmare Before Christmas. I also love Edward Scissorhands (not completely Christmas movie, but I love the idea of the snow falling because Ed was cutting ice sculptures)

I also love Charlie Brown Christmas.

I also have The Grinch (live action, though I LOVE the cartoon), and A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart.

dentrassi
12-15-2002, 11:23 PM
I like Nightmare Before Christmas too!!! Of course halloween IS my favorite holiday.....

(I also like Edward Scissorhands.....Johnny Depp is really sexy in that one!!!)

rochemist
12-16-2002, 01:14 AM
Die Hard and Die Hard II
The Ref
The Long Kiss Goodnight

On the traditional note we enjoy
1. A Christmas Story-Widescreen, visually the movie is a masterpiece, especially the scene at the department store
2. Santa Clause
3. The Grinch who Stole Christmas (and not that awful Jim Cary thing, unless my son makesme watch it!)
4.Charlie Brown Christmas

I guess we are pretty typical midwest family HO-HO Now I have a machine gun!

ellis
12-16-2002, 08:27 AM
Terri, that's a gorgeous story! :)

Nightmare Before Christmas... good one. :yes:
We're going to watch "White Christmas" tonight. It's long and a little ho hum, (and I can't STAND Bing Crosby) but it's cozy.
Ummm, I really like "A Muppet Christmas Carol" with Michael Caine. :D Rizzo the rat kills me.

dentrassi
12-16-2002, 10:38 AM
My sister and I used to watch "White Christmas" together and sing the "Sisters" song at each other. AHH! Those golden memories......(we also used to say things like, "Your mother wears army boots." "So, so does YOURS!"

Punkinseed
12-16-2002, 11:53 AM
Ellis, I don't see Christmas as being "stolen" - more like, borrowed and altered a bit... :lol: I don't care, to each their own - enjoy and celebrate - life's too short to do otherwise.

And believe it or not, this little Pagan had part of Corinthians read at her wedding too... Hmmm... married a Catholic, wonder why that union didn't work :chin: (kidding, religion had maybe 25% of the reason for our split)

Cheez - Star Jones said that?????? :rolleyes:

Ok, back to movies... has anyone seen Dark Harbor??? What a FREAKY movie!!! :eek: It has Alan Rickman in it (big shock I wanted to see it huh?) but the ending is *twisted*!

Terri

mauvaisroux
12-16-2002, 01:49 PM
I read that journal on Friday. I wasn't particulary offended by the comments as Christmas isn't a Christian holiday for me personally, nor was I offended by the President's Christmas message-to each their own I suppose.

I did find it interesting that we had a whole thread about paganism/different religions and we all managed to discuss our different beliefs and ask each other valid/informed questions without criticizing anyone or getting into an argument-that's why I love this forum and all you Chickies ~everyone here is so open minded and accepting of each other!
:grouphug:

mauvaisroux
12-18-2002, 01:41 PM
I really enjoyed the movie "Fargo".

Punkinseed
12-18-2002, 05:22 PM
I'll never look at a chipper-shredder the same way again...

Terri :lol:

dentrassi
12-18-2002, 05:51 PM
GREAT FILM!!!

dentrassi
12-18-2002, 11:48 PM
DH and I went to see "Bowling for Columbine" on Monday. It is a fantastic film, but upsetting too. I laughed and cried my way through this one.

VelvetCyberpunk
12-19-2002, 04:29 AM
I loved Fargo! I think it is a funny, scary, and weird movie all wrapped up into one great moment. I love the police cheif (Can't think of the actor's name), but she was amazing! My favorite part was when she was taking the guy to jail after she caught him putting Steve Buscemi in the wood chipper, and she was lecturing him the whole time, in that great midwestern-scandinavian accent they have. A brilliant movie, and my Mom liked it too, which is kind of a miracle in and of it's self. LOL!

A Christmas Story is funny, I love that line! "You'll shoot your eye out kid!" How the kid was gonna be able to swing a bee-bee rifle around and shoot his own eye out is beyond me ... LOL!

ellis
12-19-2002, 07:04 AM
Den, I really want to see that, too.

mauvaisroux
12-19-2002, 10:17 AM
What is Bowling for Columbine about anyway?

Ruthxxx
12-19-2002, 03:16 PM
Guns? I did read a review a while ago and that's all that sticks in my brain.

Sojourner
12-19-2002, 08:20 PM
I just purchased tickets for Saturday night to see Lord of the Rings: Two Towers on the MEGA screen. This screen is six times the size of a normal screen. WHOO HOO... can't wait. The only bummer is they said we should could come two hours early if we want a decent seat. :rolleyes:

dentrassi
12-20-2002, 12:08 AM
Mauvais-Ruth is partly right. It talks about the violent mentality in the US, and compares conditions here to conditions in other countries. Including Canada!! gets into gun ownership, school violence, and finds some FASCINATING connections in the meantime. Some of the stuff he reveals would be considered "too unbelievable" if it were fiction!!! You may already know this, but it is by the same guy who did "Canadian Bacon"

Ellis-You SHOULD see it, but bring tissues!!! BUT YOU STILL NEED TO SEE "CANADIAN BACON"

They show some pretty graphic footage from different wars, and also show a lot of footage from the Columbine incident. I just kept on thinking, "That could be my kid's school."

ellis
12-20-2002, 09:06 AM
I didn't know it was the same guy who did Canadian Bacon.
Okay, I'll try to see it over the holidays. :yes:

mauvaisroux
12-20-2002, 05:00 PM
I also liked " Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and "The Usual Suspects".

rochemist
12-23-2002, 02:52 PM
I watched But I am a Cheerleader last night. I got to be careful with these movies, they always make my husband nervous. So did Better than Chocolate.

Two Towers was awesome, though Jackson did not leave us with the bit of despair that was in the book. Sam thinking Frodo was dead and taking the ring. I always cried at that bit.

Really enjoyed Minority Report. It made me think.

Happy Holidays and Ciao Bellas!
Miss Chris

squeaker
12-23-2002, 06:18 PM
Ok so it doesn't even remotely make you think - but I saw "Two Weeks Notice" last night, and I loved it. It is a typical Hugh Grant chick flick. Nothing overly complicated, predictable, but funny, and very cute.

mauvaisroux
12-24-2002, 12:05 AM
I saw Two Towers on Friday-it was great! :D

barefootgrrrl
12-24-2002, 11:02 AM
I took my DD to "Real Women Have Curves" last night.

We really enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to anyone - especially those who enjoy movies that are : empowering to women, have actors who look like real people, are humorous and touching and have a social message ( in this case - many!)

Enjoy! Terri

dentrassi
12-27-2002, 05:39 PM
We saw "The Two Towers" yesterday. IT WAS WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved it SO much. I want to see it again.....

Wanttolosealot
12-27-2002, 05:47 PM
Watched Kissing Jessica Stein last night. It was a great movie! Did not like the ending really, but it was not bad.
Virginia

ellis
12-28-2002, 08:57 AM
Haven't watched any movies this holiday yet, but my SIL and her girlfriend gave us a DVD player for Xmas. :D

Wanttolosealot
12-28-2002, 09:34 AM
Oh thats great Ellis. Its funny, both my hubby and myself were going to buy one for the other and thought no maybe we would not like one, so neither o9f us got one. However, I think I will gethim one for Valentines. I have seen them though, and the picture is so nice and clear. You will love it.
Virginia

katrinabgood
12-28-2002, 07:55 PM
Hey...you'll love the DVD player, ellis,,,never wanna go back to VHS! I love all the behind the scenes stuff they include on the dvds; scenes that have been cut, actor's comments, outtakes...Enjoy!

Some of my favorite movies are those that have been listed quite a few times...Fargo, Dogma, (Kevin Smith has a store nearby, in Red Bank, "Jay and Silent Bob's," they have a lot of memorabilia from the movie there, like Loki's breastplate with the broken bloody wing stumps!) I bought dh a miniature "Buddy Christ" for his car there. Along similar lines of sacrilege, he he...I LOVE Monty Python's Life of Brian! I remember seeing that in the movies with a friend who was/is quite straightlaced in her approach to religion, (she obviously didn't know what the movie was about when we went!) I was hysterical, she was horrified! Especially when they are tapping their toes and singing, "Always look on the bright side of life..." during the crucifixion! Of course Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a biggie...who can't recite the "Old woman!" "Man!" dialogue between Graham Chapman and Terry Jones...or any number of lines from that movie? Love it!

What about the Devil's Advocate? Al Pacino was excellent!

Also love Young Frankenstein, all three Back to the Futures, Tootsie, The Breakfast Club, Ghostbusters, Stripes, The Birdcage, A league of Their Own, Trading Places...come to think of it, these movies don't make me think, they just make me laugh,every damn time I see 'em!

Hmmm...thinkers...Braveheart, The Patriot, (love you, Mel!) oh yeah, and Mel as Hamlet? Oh yes! The Green Mile...just as good, if not better, than the book. Saving Private Ryan...I've always liked WWII movies, but this is the first one that truly showed the horror and futility of war.

Wow, I could go on and on...I'll have to think a bit more about this...

mauvaisroux
12-29-2002, 10:28 PM
Hey Katrina..."no one expects the Spanish Inquisition"...I love Monty Python and all of their movies :D

and speaking of sacriligeous .....one of my favorite lines is from a really bad Zombie movie called "Dead Alive". A priest helps the lead character fight off zombies in a graveyard by jumping up and yelling " I kick *** for the lord!" and then uses martial arts to kick zombie butt! :lol: Oh, yeah, and this movie was directed by none other than Peter Jackson, the director of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy :rolleyes:

barefootgrrrl
12-30-2002, 09:27 AM
We saw "Catch me if you can" over the weekend.

We liked it - it was clever and had a good pace :)

Terri

rochemist
12-30-2002, 01:09 PM
I love all the Monty Python movies, but my favorite is "The Meaning of Life" Every sperm is sacred just cracks me up!

I know this one has already made the list, American History X. Another reason to love Ed Norton and a powerhouse of a topic. I thought there could have been further development on some of the Crypt's side. But the raw power,ignorance, and breeding ground for the White Power movement was on full display. Some of the language and scenes turned my stomach, revolted by the display before me. I loved it! What a good movie.

I did tell you gals Nemesis sucked right?

On the girl movie end even though Hugh Grant movies have an air of predictabilty, like any romance novel does. I think it takes good acting to pull it off without seeming too cheesy. Hence my favorite romantic favorites;Bridget Jones Diary, Chocolat,When Harry Met Sally, and The Princess Bride. And no woman should feel chessy for liking them either:D

Have a happy New Year!

katrinabgood
12-30-2002, 01:26 PM
Ohhhh....I LOVE The Princess Bride!

Guilty Pleasure: All 3 Austin Powers movies! Dr Evil rocks!

Sojourner
12-30-2002, 03:39 PM
I have seen Lord of the Rings: Two Towers twice now during the last week. It is even better than the first and will absolutely blow you away.

Did Nemesis really suck?? :?: :mad: This is very disappointing... I was really looking forward to seeing it.

mauvaisroux
12-30-2002, 04:15 PM
Yes, Nemesis was awful! I was really disappointed in the film and I love Star Trek. I would say it would be better to wait and rent it from your local video store. It had some good scenes but overall - :p

rochemist
12-30-2002, 05:42 PM
As a huge Star Trek fan Nemesis was awful. It was a shameful, poorly scripted, written to tug at my heart strings, with no substance. The only question it seemed to pose: If you met yourself when you were younger would you be able to kick your own booty? The answer is absolutely yes, in any psychological, force of wills between myself and a younger, stupider Chris the 30 yr. old version would win, hence no Nemesis at all. Killing Data just a low shot, putting an inferior model with a full "Data" transfer in it, a rip off.

My Venom reeks,
Miss Chris

mauvaisroux
12-30-2002, 06:06 PM
Ro- the icing on the cake for me was the "Superdata" flying through space :rolleyes: My very loud and spontaneous comment of "Oh come on!!!" made me afraid to leave the theatre lest some Trekkies were waiting to beat me up outside in the parking lot :lol: though I am sure I could have taken them ;) I have been to a few conventions you know :D and had to verbally kick a Klingon's butt when he mouthed off at me :lol:

dentrassi
12-30-2002, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the warning!! We're all Star Trek fans here too, but at $6.00 (matinee yet!!) times four we'll wait until the video comes out. Can't afford to spend money like that regularly, but ESPECIALLY not on stinkers!!!

squeaker
12-30-2002, 09:52 PM
I rented 13 Conversations About One Thing - that was good, but you have to pay attention.

Today I saw Far From Heaven - that was very good.

squeaker
01-02-2003, 04:25 PM
I just watched "We Were Soldiers". It was an incredible, but very hard to watch movie. Very graphic, very bloody, but that is war. I liked the scenes of the wives at home.

Wanttolosealot
01-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Yes Squeak, We were Soldiers was a very good movie. Ver gruesome, but very good. Needed to be graffic to get the point across I think. War is not pretty! It is very very ugly. Imagine how the wives must have really felt when they seen telegrams being delivered to their friends or worse than that, being delivered to them. A very frightening thought with the war going on now. I am sure we all have friends or friends of friends who have someone who is off fighting for our freedom, very scarey to think they may not be there tomorrow, but coming home in a body bag.

rochemist
01-03-2003, 03:53 AM
I don't know if I already said Donnie Darko,but every time I watch it I get something new. It's a mad world!

Miss Chris

barefootgrrrl
01-08-2003, 09:58 PM
"Coming Home" on video. movie came out in 1978. watched it tonight - hadn't seen it in years.....

Stars Jon Voight, Jane Fonda, Bruce Dern

Movie focuses on the loss of innocence that occurs during wartime - in this case, Vietnam
I don't know, maybe you have to be a person of a certain age to appreciate it - but it washes over me on many levels.

Terri

rochemist
01-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Primal Fear

Ed Norton's performance is a suprise up to the very end. This twisted tale of deception and injustice steals from the Shakespearan ideal in such a great way! I love leaving Richard Gere in the end with only irony and as the corrupted hero.

Miss Chris