Weight Loss Support - Who's the slowest loser on 3FC?

View Full Version : Who's the slowest loser on 3FC?

goodforme
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
If you have a look at my stats at the bottom of my post, it took me from July to January to lose 13 pounds. It's taken me over a year to lose 42 pounds. I still have a lot left to lose, too, so I should still be rolling along nicely.

Working out at the gym for the last few weeks. Lost a pants size, down to a 14 now. Scale jumped UP around 6 pounds and won't go down no matter what.

I'm happy with what I'm eating, I'm not willing to cut calories anymore since I'm asking my body to do things I've never asked it to do before. It needs sustenance to complete those workouts, and to heal and strengthen those muscles.

I'm not going to throw out my scales just because of some stupid number that nobody but me and my doctor even knows.

I'm happy with my pants size, I'm happy with my food, I'm happy with my lifestyle, so what am I complaining about so much?

kaplods
02-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Well, if we're going to make this a reverse competition, I guess I've got you beat. It's taken me 6 years to lose 88 lbs. So that comes to just under 1.25 lb per month. My speed has ranged from 1/2 pound per month to 2 lbs per month.

My best success "this time" has been worse than any previous failure (the point at which I would abandon a diet because I was losing too slow to feel successful).

Ruthxxx
02-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Hey! I joined in 1999 at 232 and here I am at 191. That's pretty darn slow. Of course there were several detours along my "journey".

(Are there prizes?)

goodforme
02-18-2011, 05:08 PM
;) Kaplods, I have devoured every post of yours I come across. Your attitude that maintaining even a half-pound loss is better than gaining, or God forbid, giving up is what I'm trying to adopt!

The tantrum-throwing two year old inside me wants to stomp my feet and complain about how "not fair" it is to see so little results from what feels like such hard work.

The mature 37 year old me says suck it up, quit whining, and go move your butt. Life will pass me by whether I'm dieting or indulging, fat or thin, happy or sad. Time for me to make a choice.

Guess I just wanted to post this in response to a lot of posts I've seen lately from people who aren't losing as quickly as they'd like. There is another viewpoint.

PS Hey, Ruth, we used to hang out in LC together. Looks like I haven't had great luck with it, huh? I'm glad to see you're still around!

beerab
02-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Oh hun last year I went from 212 to 205, that's HALF a freaking pound a month lol.

Eh slow and steady wins the race?

Rana
02-18-2011, 05:35 PM
I'll jump right in.

From January 2010 to January 2011 I lost 10 lbs. Barely.

No detours. I was on-plan, exercising every day, counting calories, staying within my limits.

My mantra is that this is about health, not weight loss.

42 lbs in one year is almost 1 lbs per week. I don't lose that much every week... period. Even at my highest.

:hug::hug:

Oh, and I love that it's the PCOS ladies that are chiming in! We really know slow weight loss!!!!!

:hug::hug::hug:

Ruthxxx
02-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Believe it or not, I'm an antique PCOS lady! I'm 72 and way back when I was 18, I had what we now know was PCOS. I think it hadn't been invented yet! All the usual stuff and not able to get preggers. Times have changed. By the way I weighed 125 back then and have been "dieting" for over 50 years!

sacha
02-18-2011, 05:51 PM
It took me 14 months to lose my initial 30lbs and it stayed off for 7 years until I got pregnant :)

Arctic Mama
02-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Well I started in October 2008, around 260, and I've been solidly on this journey since then and am right around 200-201 right now. *shrug*

I did have a baby in between, but I stayed on plan. It's pretty slow loss, but no regains and no struggle makes me super happy :)

OhMyDogs
02-18-2011, 06:06 PM
OK, you all are freaking me out!! LOL

Nola Celeste
02-18-2011, 06:31 PM
I look at this thread and see not slow loss, but long-term success stories. Slow and steady DOES seem to win the race, if these posts are any indication. :)

Gives me hope for my relatively paltry weekly weight loss versus the "I'm only losing two pounds a week, wah!" mentality that I used to have when I yo-yoed a lot. I'd rather lose slowly and sustainably than quickly and miserably.

It feels so freakin' good to be able to say that now. What a relief not to have to punish myself! Thank you, folks, for your long-term success stories; they make a huge difference in others' lives. :hug:

kaplods
02-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Gosh I hope not. I absolutely love this thread and want to hear more. I want to hear from every last one of the "slow losers" out there, because this is a perspective, we rarely have access to.

I strongly suspect that the slow-losers vastly outnumber the steady or rapid losers, but we're accustomed to keeping our mouths shut so as not to be criticised for our lack of effort, motivation and commitment.

Everyone thinks losing 2 lbs a week is "normal," but we almost never hear from the people who are losing less. Weight loss success statistics are fairly dismal, and one of the main reasons (I suspect) is that we're taught that less than 1-2 lbs per week is failure, so people give up if they can't pull better numbers than that. Instead of saying "I can only lose 1/4 of a pound per week, so I'll be satisfied with that," we say "I can only lose 1/4 lb. That's lousy, hardly better than losing nothing. Heck hardly better than gaining. If losing 1/4 lb is just as much a failure as gaining, why am I putting so much effort into failure. I might as well stop trying, because at this rate I'll never succeed. If I'm going to be a failure anyway, If I give up dieting, at least I'll get to eat what I want while failing."

What makes it so God-awful worse, is that we're setting a definition of success that almost no one is meeting. We think the 1-2 lbs is being acheived by everyone BUT us, not realizing we're the ones in the majority.

It's like coming in 1000th place in the Boston Marathon. Gee that sucks, (except that the race averages over 20,000 participants every year (and in 1996, there were 38,000). So if you come in 1000th place, you've beat at least 19,000 other people).

It's just really sad that while we're doing better than most people do (because most people give up), we've been taught to see ourselves as failing - to the point that many of us do quit while we're ahead (we just have no idea that we're ahead of anybody, we only see all of the butts of the people in front of us, not realizing how many people are watching our butts saying "I wish that could be me").

I am envious of 1 lb per week, because I'm not acheiving that. When I do, I'll probalby be envious of everyone who loses 2 lbs a week. It's just so much easier to look ahead and see butts than to look backwards and see all the thousands and thousands (heck millions) of people who can't keep up with us!

We need to see how successful we really are.

It's why I love my TOPS group. Every meeting the leader reads the total losses and gains during the week (and at the beginning of each month and year, does the same for the previous month/year). We also go around the room and share whether we've lost/gained/stayed the same. It's not to shame anyone (most of us don't even remember anyone's loss/gain but our own), but it does keep us all very aware of how normal it is to not see a steady, rapid weight loss. My group has about 30 members. And a couple weeks ago we had a 16 lb net loss for the club. It may not have been a record-breaker, but it was pretty unusual, so we all were so excited, and celebrating it when I realized that isn't even an average of 1/2 lb per person. And it dawned on me that most months we came pretty close to even. Any net loss for the month (more wieght lost than gained by the whole group) was actually uncommon enough that we always cheer when there's any loss at all. That means that a lot of people are losing nothing or even gaining.

Normally we don't get to see everyone else's losses, and we naturally assume everyone is doing better than we are, but the fact is that if we're losing anything at all, we're ahead of the pack, not trailing behind. We really are all potential tortoises. There are tons of hares that will give up when their weight loss slows. Sure some hares will make it to the finish line, but many will quit (so will a lot of tortoises). We win not by our speed, but by persistance.

sacha
02-18-2011, 07:02 PM

Why so? I think you'll find many of us slow losers have since been maintainers for many years!!!

One great thing about losing slow is that if you have to do it again (like me, when I had my baby), you have realistic expectations and the knowledge & tools to do it right ... again ;) :D :D :D

If I had to brag that it took me 14 months to lose 30lbs, nobody would want to hear what I have to say - unfortunately, my methods do work long-term! They do however, gawk at my before & after photos! But the dates don't impress.

Magrat
02-18-2011, 08:47 PM
I don't have PCOS. Yet it took me three years to lose 30 pounds on an average intake of 1500 calories a day, while working a very physical job and exercising daily. My average weight loss was an eighth of a pound a month. The loss was followed by a two year stall. Starting last November I dropped my calories to between 800 and 1000 a day. I still work the same job and still exercise daily. I have lost two more pounds, bringing my total to 32 pounds lost in six years.

Streudel
02-18-2011, 08:50 PM
It took me all of 2009 to lose 9.5 lbs. I was thrilled with that result because it meant I was reversing my march towards 300 lbs.

In 2010, I lost 55 lbs. I got used to steady 1-2 lbs per week losses. So now that my weight loss has slowed to 4.5 lbs for the last 3 months, I'm feeling like I want to throw a temper tantrum. How crazy is that?:crazy: :rolleyes:

This is why I come here. You wonderful folks provide me with a sanity check. I've adopted Kaplods' mantra, " Maybe I can lose one more pound ". If I never lose another pound, I'm still a success.

I feel much better. Thanks for the thread! :D

Porthardygurl
02-18-2011, 08:57 PM
wow thats crazy that it has taken so long.. i mean good job for having the perserverance.. i just dont understand then..how come there are so many people on here that have lost 80 pounds or 90 pounds..how do they do it? How are they there now? How long did it take them? Cause thats where i want to be..

sacha
02-18-2011, 10:06 PM
wow thats crazy that it has taken so long.. i mean good job for having the perserverance.. i just dont understand then..how come there are so many people on here that have lost 80 pounds or 90 pounds..how do they do it? How are they there now? How long did it take them? Cause thats where i want to be..

If you search the maintainers subforum here (go to the main forum page and scroll down) there are plenty of gals who have lost that and more (100+lbs) and maintained it for years. I think you'll find that the vast majority of them took at least a year and have stayed on plan no matter what.

But I disagree that it's crazy to take so long :) What's crazy is our expectation that a person should lose and keep off so much weight without taking a long time to do it. Which is why few people can.

Nola Celeste
02-18-2011, 11:13 PM

It's not "crazy that it's taken so long." It's normal and healthy that it's taken so long. What's crazy is thinking that weight loss happens in double-digit losses every week. That works on TV shows on which contestants compete for hundreds of thousands of dollars or on shows that give participants a month-long stay at a fantastic resort, but in real life, weight loss takes months and years, not weeks.

This is a fantastic thread to read if you want to understand the truth of weight loss--that it's a long-term commitment, that any loss should be celebrated, that just staying the same and not gaining should be commended. There are dozens of roads to weight loss and not a single one of them is easy--not weight-loss surgery, not calorie counting, not low-carb, none of them. However, some are easier than others for particular people, so find the method that works for you and just stick to it.

newbieblogger3
02-19-2011, 12:08 AM
I started my weight loss journey at the end of Oct.2010 and have lost 16 lbs.as of today -definitely in the "slow camp" since I have a lot more to lose. -BUT if I hadn't started when I did -I would have GAINED weight over the holidays for sure-so I consider myself lucky and successful at this point in time. In addition, I enjoy my food program mainly because I eat enough to not feel deprived and haven't binged at all -a MAJOR accomplishment for me.

Great post -since I sometimes feel "out of the loop" when I read about these 2 lbs.(or more)per week losses -Glad for you lucky ones though -wishing everyone continued success -L.

kaplods
02-19-2011, 12:33 AM
wow thats crazy that it has taken so long..

Nope, not crazy - reality. It's only "crazy" because we don't hear people doing it, not because they're not, but because it's not acceptable or popular to discuss. Talk about slow weight loss and people's first response isn't congratulations, it's "what took you so long?"

You won't sell a "slow weight loss" book. Those who've tried, have gotten rejected. One weight loss author even admitted that her book was accepted only on the condition that she add a "jump start" phase to her diet (one she had never followed herself).

My MIL actually sent us a "worried" letter about our weights, because we were getting "fatter and fatter" every time she saw us (during this time she accuses us of weight gain, we had actually each lost more than 80 lbs each).

I do think she believed what she was saying. That's what's crazy.

i just dont understand then..how come there are so many people on here that have lost 80 pounds or 90 pounds..how do they do it? How are they there now? How long did it take them? Cause thats where i want to be..

Some of them took a long time to do it. Some of them didn't. They all were willing to "do it" no matter how long it took (at least the ones who will keep the weight off). A good number of those who took the weight off quickly, will put it back on just as quickly - and most of those people will not come back and announce and write about their failures (at least not loudly and often). We see more of the success stories than the failures, because we've been taught to hide our failures. We talk about our current success, not our ten thousand failures.

When I was much younger, I was able to lose much more rapidly. I just wasn't able to sustain the loss (usually because when the weight loss slowed to less than 1-2 pounds per week - what I thought was "normal" I felt like a failure, and I gave up because I felt like I was failing, when I was just succeeding at a slower pace than I expected and wanted to).

We aren't taught to accept moderate weight loss - we're taught to give up when weight loss stops being impressive. "This is so frustrating," we say (because it's what almost everyone says), and we eventually give up (because it's what almost everyone does).

The slow weight losers have to start speaking up, so people know that it does exist. You do not have to give up when progress is slow. You don't have to make such drastic changes that you feel like you have no room in your life for anything except weight loss.

That's how I dieted in the past, because the only way to pull numbers I wasn't ashamed of was to sacrifice absolutely everything of value in my life. Giving up everything and still only losing 1 or 2 lbs, wasn't just frustrating it was torturous. Torture I could handle if I knew I could be done and over with forever in 6 months, but indefinite torture? Absolutely not! When weight loss slowed to a pound or two a week (a decent loss) I'd start counting the months it would take to reach goal, and calculating whether or not I could stand the torture for the duration. When the answer was "No," I'd give up.

For me, making it "not torture" was the key to making it permanent.

shellsbrood
02-19-2011, 08:45 AM
I love this thread and needed it this morning. Thank you! :hug:

hope for recovery
02-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For teaching me patience, perseverance, gratitude! I have lost 10 pounds in the last 9 months and it has been a very up and down but since beginning of the year it has been a steady slow loss and my goal for the summer months is to lose 2-3 more pounds because i am totally powerless over losing big weight! It does not happen to me, I lose it and i put it back on! So thank you for letting me know your figures and to be prepared that losing a pound every two months is a success! That is in fact almost half a stone for the year so yay!!! We can do it!

sacha
02-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I also recently posted my goal picture thread where I lost barely 10lbs in 6 months but did lots of weight training daily and made a big body composition change.

Might be of interest for some of you featherweights who are getting low on the scale and still worried about the #'s rather than body composition :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal-photo-album/222442-reached-goal-6-months-post-partum.html

kaplods
02-19-2011, 04:48 PM
I love this thread. We've got to keep it going so it becomes a permanent fixture here. We've got to get the word out that slow weight loss is perfectly normal. If you can (AND WANT TO) lose rapidly, that's wonderful (and there are plenty of places here to brag), but we need a place for the rest of us (and I still suspect we're a silent majority).

How many of us have given up because we didn't feel like we were measuring up, that all the effort for such small results just doesn't feel worth it.

I can't tell you how many times I've thought, "If I'm not losing (whatever) per week, I must be doing it wrong," and eventually I'd think "at this rate, I'll never be thin." Leading, of course to the fatal "If I'm going to be fat anyway, why should I not get to eat what I want."

It's that all-or-nothing mentality that kills us. If I can't lose it all (as quickly as I want) why bother at all?

It isn't like it's "rocket-science," we do tell each other to "hang in there," but most of us don't. I don't think it's because we're morons (especially when we're so smart in other areas of our lives). I think it's because we never SEE or hear about slow success. We don't realize how many people are struggling just as much as we are. We don't brag about slow weight loss.

I can't tell you how many times I've "apologized" for my weight loss speed just here on 3FC. Someone sent me a pm asking me to be a mentor because of my amazing weight loss, and wanting someone to help her really buckle down and lose quickly (these aren't exact words, this is just the impression left in my memory). In response, I pointed out that it had taken me 6 years to lose those 88 lbs, so while I would be glad to offer what support I could, that full-steam-ahead, bootcamp style of weight loss support wasn't something I could provide. I never heard back, so I don't know why, but of course I do wonder whether it was because slow weight loss is so undervalued. We've been taught to see it as virtually worthless.

Impatience is built into the system. Almost no one talks about slow weight loss, except to complain about it. No one brags about losing 10 lbs in a year, but they should because most people don't do it.

My husband is a great support. He really doesn't seem to be in such a rush to the finish line. He makes the changes he's willing to make, and appreciates the results. Maybe it's because he's never really dieted before meeting me. He hasn't absorbed all of the "diet culture" that females are often immersed in almost from birth (whether or not they have a weight issue). When I start whining that "at this rate, it will take me 10 to 15 years to lose all the weight I want to," and he'll say "and what will you weigh in 10 or 15 years if you give up?" I then add in my head "will I even be alive in 10 or 15 years if I give up, and if so what kind of life would it be?"

I won't go back to what it was. Sleeping 20 hours a day, and unable to walk up more than 6 steps without getting winded. Having to use a motorized cart in Walmart, and still being too tired to finish the shopping.

People ask "how did you let it get that bad?" It's a fair question, but a misguided one. In a very real sense, I dieted away my health. Crash dieting was the only way I knew to diet, but I could never maintain the pace. I'd inevitably give up and regain more than I lost. My life was slowly eroded by the crash diet cycle - sacrifice everything until you can't stand it any more, give up, regain everything and then some - get sick of it and crash diet again (only this time the same calorie level results in smaller, slower weight loss), get sick of the slow progress, start all over again.

I had to learn to lose weight differently, and I think if I had learned sooner (like in my 20's), I wouldn't have had to settle for such slow weight loss. But I didn't learn sooner, so I'm stuck with what I've got. I could probably double my weight loss if I were willing to go back to the old way, but I stropngly suspect that dieting the old way, would result in the same old pattern. Every once in a while I have to prove it to myself. I'll try to "buckle down" and it usually backfires. Luckily I'm learning and adjusting faster. I don't let a slip become a landslide, but it sometimes does feel like I'm the only one taking this path (well I've got to count hubby in this too, but he's not even interested in losing faster, so it seems to me that he doesn't count. Of course I should be ashamed for thinking that way, but it's just so darned ingrained to think "I should be losing faster, why aren't I losing faster, why aren't I willing to sacrifice more, longer?"

When you say you're ok with slow weight loss (and I try to be ok with slow weigh loss because it's the only weight loss that I've been able to sustain, and right now it's the only wieght loss that I've been able to attain) you're accused of being "less than" in so many ways - less willing, less motivated, less committed, lazier, weaker, making excuses...).

Ok I'm ranting and rambling so I'll just stop now.

sacha
02-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Well said kaplods :)

An "all or nothing... RIGHT NOW attitude" is what sells a billion dollar industry with only extra pounds to show for it.

WebRover
02-19-2011, 06:28 PM
3 years and 4 months to lose 28 pounds. 40 months. Point seven pounds a month. I did lose it, stop paying attention, gain some of it back, re-lose it.
Point seven pounds a month is actually faster than I thought I've been doing! I am much happier losing .7 pounds a month than gaining 1-2 pounds a month. Much!

Thank goodness my scale has half pounds on it. When I had a full pound only scale, a month's loss could have not even registered!

CanadianCutie
02-19-2011, 07:38 PM
This is a great thread. I too, am a slow loser, but partially by choice. 40 pounds since I joined end of July 2009. It's gone up and down a few pounds here or there, but nothing drastic. I don't want to give up every little thing and have this be a diet mentality. I am changing my eating habits for healthier ones, but if I want to get chicken crisps on the rare occasions that I go out for dinner (think once or twice a month) I will. I find I'll end up bringing half (or more) of it home anyways and having it for another one or two meals, or send it for my dad's lunch for work. I don't want to be thin, but lusting after every food out there. I want to be healthier and happier. I'd rather lose slowly and enjoy the treats that I allow myself.

Bunti
02-19-2011, 08:20 PM
I am loving this thread.

I am also a "slow" loser, except for a week when I had the flu and couldn't keep anything down.

But, and here it is, I could lose faster if I were to repeat my mistakes of the past- and then the quick regain of lost pounds when I couldn't sustain the lifestyle would furthur damage my metabolism. I too have had an all or nothing mentality, and I truly believe I have an almost addictive response to certain foods. So my challenge is to do something I can live with forever.

I hope this thread stays in the forefront. What a lovely and hopeful place.
I usually chase Kaplod's posts around the forum for my "fix" of commonsense hope.

katy trail
02-19-2011, 09:48 PM
i absolutely love this thread too! i'm am positive this was a very much needed resource for so many lurkers out there.

i was a fairly fast loser, in the beginning. but even if your body can handle quick losses, sometimes the mind can't. i kept getting just under 200, or close to it and overeating. i had to stop, do some mental hw to figure things out for awhile. i had some issues with getting under that certain number. we all have those numbers in our head. oh i can't get below that, oh i just can't. or if i got below that weight, then...i don't know, it's like we've lost our security blanket i guess sometimes. anyway, ever since july/aug last yr, i've decided it's not a plateu. i'm simply maintaining. i'm happy to keep the weight off. even if i don't lose another pound, i'm happy to just keep the weight off. even just a few days ago, i said i'm not that concerned with the weight. i just want to improve the muscle. get healthier.

i love, love, love reading the wealth of info i get from reading all of your histories, and stories, and just such a wealth of information. i always feel like i know everything about healthy food, and alot about exercising, and then i read so many of the 3fc posts and go, oh i never knew that about certain kinds of salt additives, or oh i'll have to be careful about that. or, oh i should try that too! there is just so much to learn, so much to be thankful for. i'm just happy to help anyone i can on here.

kittycarlson
02-19-2011, 09:58 PM
goodforme, I'm jealous because you can wear a size 14. I guess that's what happens when you exercise. LOL

BrokenAnkle
02-20-2011, 12:38 AM
I love this thread too. I went back and looked at my records and on average I am losing 4 pounds a month. It is hard not to compare that to the 1-2 that I think most of us expect. But I have lost 35 and I feel much better, and more confident that I can stick with it and if (when) I backslide I can overcome faster and learn the lesson. One of the best lessons I have learned this round is to come to this site and read valuable insights like this thread daily.

caryesings
02-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I lost fairly fast for this thread, average 1.3 lbs per week. But if I had based my expectations on what "everybody knows" of folks with 100+ lbs to lose dropping it quickly in the beginning, I'd have given up. But knowing that had happened with me in the past, I made decision to not get on the scale at all the first 12 weeks. I knew the scale would not reflect my perceived effort. So by the time I got on the scale after 3 months of dieting and saw "only" 10 lbs gone, I had already started establishing the diet and exercise habits I would need for the long haul so mentally was able to stick with it.

goodforme
02-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Wow! Go away for the weekend, the thread takes off.

:hug: to everyone. I knew I wasn't the only one out there, PLEASED AS PUNCH to be smaller than a year ago, even if only slightly smaller.

There's been a wealth of information on here, and I'm absorbing it like a sponge, believe me. Keep it coming!!

chubbypanda
04-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Gosh! I had to go back a ways in the forum to find this, but I am glad I did!

Just this morning I was telling myself it is okay my weight did not go down from YESTERDAY ("it's okay, it's okay, it's okay..." - lol).

But now I realize just how many women experience more than just a dreaded two week plateau, but slow and real weight loss due to various factors.

Everyone who has shared their story here it the EPITOME of patience. You all put me to shame, and are an inspiration!

I wish all of you the best and hope others find this thread, whether they are in the same boat and need to know they are not along, or if they are one of the fortunate ones who have an easy time of losing and just need a reality check.

paris81
04-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Another slow loser here!

I've stuck with this particular weight loss effort since July 22, 2009, and I've lost about 40-45 lbs in that time (so almost two years). It's the longest I've ever stuck with a weight loss effort. I just try to eat intutively, and I focus on not bingeing, which is my biggest problem. I want to have a healthy relationship with food, and I figure working on that will lead to weight loss. Which is has! But slow weight loss.

It's the only way for me to avoid that "all or nothing" mentality, which as others have said, gets you nowhere. I'm just going to keep plucking away, happy with whatever loss I can get!

Elladorine
04-24-2011, 02:22 PM
People typically seem very excited for me when they learn how much weight I've lost . . . until they ask me how long it's taken. Yep, a 120-pound loss in 5-6 years. Not that it's been steady by any means; I typically lose in 30-40 spurts then maintain for ages in-between. I'm currently hoping I'm at the start of another spurt, lol.

But the awesome thing is that I no longer weigh 360 pounds! As difficult as it is to find clothes for my frame now, it was about a hundred times worse back then. I was always fatigued, I was very sickly, and I felt absolutely horrible about myself. And as slow as it's been, believe me, I've fought hard for every pound lost. Learning and relearning good habits. Fighting with myself mentally over my anxiety issues. And keeping the fight so I don't regain anything back.

While I still get utterly frustrated from time to time, the one thing that keeps me sane is knowing that I'm in no danger of reverting back to my highest weight; I know too much now. Even if it takes me another 5-6 years or even longer to approach my goal weight, it's sooo much better than expecting "perfection" and giving up because I'm not losing high digits every week. Had I given up ages ago, it's likely I'd weigh well over 400 pounds right this very moment. Instead? I now weigh less than I did in high school. ;)

Wild Vulpix
04-24-2011, 02:31 PM
This is such a wonderful thread :)

The first time I tried losing weight was just for a couple weeks a few years ago... I lost some, lost focus, then gained it back. That happened a second time.

March 2009, I got serious and went from 164lbs, to 148 by August 2009. Lost interest again, and gained back 9 of the 16lbs I lost.

January 2010, I became serious for real, and since then I've lost 30lbs. So that's... 30lbs in 16 months. There have been periods where I stopped losing because life was too stressful, or something got in the way, BUT I was able to maintain (or gain very little) during those times. I feel so happy. I would never have believed 30lbs in 16 months would be "successful" weight loss... especially when it appears that everyone else is dropping 5+ pounds a month. But I absolutely know I can maintain. ......I just need to work on maintaining an exercise routine :D

Rumbii
04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
bump..

zoodoo613
04-25-2011, 10:09 AM
What a great thread! It's true that we all have hopes and even expectations of rapid weightloss, EVEN WHEN WE KNOW BETTER.

I've been at this for 6 weeks this go-round. 6 weeks. That's nothing. In that time I've lost 10.4 lbs. Not nothing at all! In fact, it's 1.7 lbs per week. Pretty impressive. And way faster than the 1 lb. per week I have planned on my goal graph. But because that weight came off so quickly right in the beginning, and my body took a 2 week break to adjust, I was getting frustrated. Not give-up frustrated, but discouraged. And I KNOW it's silly, but it's the way my brain works anyway.

This is the not first time I've attempted weight loss, not by a long shot. But I have a different goal than I've had in time past. Then, it was all about the goal weight. This time I've got a time goal too. Not a time frame in which I want to lose the weight (well, that too :O ) but I time that I'm going to keep at this, keep tracking my weight, my exercise, my food. Even if I go off the deep end and start gaining, I'm going to track it, because the only way to get to my goal weight is keep trying. So my goal this time is 90 weeks, enough time to get to my goal weight at 1 lb per week. And if I don't get there in 90 weeks, well, time to set a new goal :)

carter
04-25-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm on the slower side of things - 85 pounds in about 21 months, or a long-term average of just about 1 pound per week. It hasn't been as smooth as that, though - I've had months where it went slower and months where it went quicker.

Sometimes it's maddening - mostly when other people who are losing much faster start making posts whining about how slow their loss is. ;) For the most part, though, I don't mind the pace. The time would have passed either way, so it's good to have spent it losing. I enjoy fine dining, and I've been able to make room in my plan for, say, one dinner a week at one of my favorite restaurants, and the occasional martini as well. I've been able to maintain when work got overwhelming for a month or two (as it is about to do again). And, I'm delighted with my new body - and I'm not even done yet.

It's a hackneyed old adage that "slow & steady wins the race" but look at that, it's really turning out to be true. I've never lost this much weight (of course, I've never had this much weight to lose...) or stayed on a plan for this long. For the first time I really feel like I've changed my habits for the long term. I'm sure it's better for me to have managed that, than to have lost twice as quickly ...

fatferretfanatic
04-25-2011, 10:42 AM
I also see some pretty great success stories. I too am trying to adopt the attitude that it's not how much you lose in the shortest time, it's the most you maintain for the longest time possible. You guys should be very proud-<3 I like the attitude that you all have!

Smiling_Sara
04-25-2011, 12:14 PM
I certainly feel like I am the SLOWEST loser here. I have not lost a pound in a year. In fact, I've gained about 5. Makes me pretty angry with myself.

NEMom
04-25-2011, 02:24 PM
So glad that someone directed me to this thread. I have been feeling pretty down because the wight is coming off so slowly. I have been at it for only two months (not long) and have lost 11 lbs. I know part of it is my age and wen you get older the weight does not come off as easlily.
Hopefully by the end of the year I can meet my goal. One day at a time and hopefully I will get there.

FitGirlyGirl
04-25-2011, 03:04 PM
I LOVE this thread! My start weight of 245 pounds was on February 17, 2009, today I weight 177.6. That's 67.4 pounds in a little over 2 years. There are some reasons for the slow speed that are beyond my control (PCOS, an ankle injury that sometimes slows me down in the gym) and some that aren't (a couple of detours for 2.5 months at a time, refusing to give up holiday foods and occasional treats). The speed is not what matters to me. I consider it a major success that my detours were only 2.5 months and that even though I strayed way off of my normal plan, I did not go completely back to the way things were. If it weren't for this slow loss then right now I might weight 277 instead of 177 or 345 instead of the 245 I started at. That's success. My improved lab profiles are success. My sky high energy is success. I may not be in size 4 jeans yet, but the size 12s I'm wearing are so much better than the 22s I was in or the 32s I might be in if I had kept going the way I was. I'm not the slowest, I'm the the fastest, and it doesn't matter anyway. I'm going at me speed and I'm thrilled with it (most days ;) ).

burgundyrayne
04-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Im on the slower side too. I started my journey on December 29th, 2008. Thats about 28 months. In that 28 months Ive lost 50 lbs, but I am still so proud of myself. I couldve given up a long time ago but Ive kept at it and Im gonna keep going. It might take me another 2 years to lose another 50 but I am ok with that. Be proud of every ounce you lose, its one ounce closer to your goal.

darway
04-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Think of a slow loss kind of like compound interest, in reverse. Even a fraction of a percent weight loss per week *is* a reduction, and if consistently applied over time, it does accumulate over the long haul.

What probably frustrates many people is that the little ups and downs that can take place during the week disguise this slow progress. For example half a percent of 240 pounds is 1.2 pounds. Yet I have found that it's easy to lose two pounds of water on a long walk, or gain two pounds eating a salty burrito and drink.

Slow progress is real, and it also instills a beneficial maintenance mindset. You can't just "quit" the plan... because basically you followed something close to maintenance all along... instead you simply relax the reigns a smidgen near the end. People that crash diet and then reach a goal, are not as likely to have developed that sense of where the maintenance level really is.

blondebritbrat17
04-26-2011, 11:50 PM
I've not lost anything for four months now. New doctor put me on metformin 10 days ago and told me my PCOS and IR are really a bigger problem than what my last doctor told me. This thread is giving me some hope! Thanks ladies.

Wild Vulpix
04-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I was just reading over the success of another member on the board who had lost a little more than 100lbs in 10 months. :dizzy: It's so difficult not to get green with envy sometimes, or, worse, disappointed in myself because surely I could have done at least a little bit better.

I don't even see how that's physically possible! It's maddening. Yet I hear fantastic success like that all over the forum, and said like it's no biggie. Rawr.

Magrat
04-28-2011, 10:37 AM
I was just reading over the success of another member on the board who had lost a little more than 100lbs in 10 months. :dizzy: It's so difficult not to get green with envy sometimes, or, worse, disappointed in myself because surely I could have done at least a little bit better.

I don't even see how that's physically possible! It's maddening. Yet I hear fantastic success like that all over the forum, and said like it's no biggie. Rawr.

I feel the same way. I can't help but be envious of the members for whom weight loss seems to come comparatively fast and easy.

It's really not fair.

zoodoo613
04-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Darway - Where'd you make your awesome chart? I was trying in excel but not having much luck. I used to have some software when I was in college way back when, but I'm sure they don't make it anymore.

Beach Patrol
04-28-2011, 03:56 PM
It's just really sad that while we're doing better than most people do (because most people give up), we've been taught to see ourselves as failing - to the point that many of us do quit while we're ahead (we just have no idea that we're ahead of anybody, we only see all of the butts of the people in front of us, not realizing how many people are watching our butts saying "I wish that could be me").

We need to see how successful we really are.

We win not by our speed, but by persistance.

OK, first of all I LOVE YOUR BUTT ANALOGY!!! :D
and 2ndly, I really needed to hear (read) those two last sentences. Thanks Kap! - you always say something that really rings for me.
:hug:

lillyw
04-28-2011, 09:22 PM
This is the best thread! I'm generally really happy with the progress I've made. I feel like a whole new person, with much more energy and more comfortable in my body than I have ever been. I told my mom that I'm almost happy I had gained weight, because I always felt fat even when I was normal, and now that I am (barely under overweight according to BMI), I feel thin. But it has taken a long time (20 months) to get this far (46 or 47 pounds, depending on the day), and during the winters the scale hardly moved at all. It's slowed down to less than a pound a month as I'm getting closer to where I think I should be. I've tried every trick I know, but my body seems to have a mind and timetable of its own. When I started this, though, I decided it wasn't about reaching a magic number, but finding a sustainable way to have a healthy life, food and activity-wise. And I'm there. I see no reason to change anything at all.

sf40
06-06-2011, 09:09 PM
This is a fantastic thread and I really appreciated reading everyone's stories. Here is mine; I definitely qualify as a slow loser.
In 2005-06, I lost 19 pounds in 10 months (from 185 to 166), all the while closely tracking calories and exercising (cardio and/or strength) most days of the week. My calculations had me in a deficit and I should have been losing 1-2 pounds per week, but as you can see, it was more like 1-2 pounds per month.
In June 2006, at 166 pounds, I injured myself and stopped exercising. Was burned out on the the calorie counting and stopped that. I regained all the weight and then some until I was at my highest ever by January 2008.
During 2008, I tried half-heartedly to lose weight by making better eating choices and succeeded in losing 9 pounds that year to get me into the mid 180s. I continued to sort-of try to lose weight and was stuck in the 180s for two years.
Last July, I was told I have elevated fasting blood glucose, so renewed efforts to be healthy and lose weight. I went from the low 180s to 168 by the end of 2010. At nearly 2.5 pounds per month, this was extremely fast for me!Today I am in the mid 160s (164 this morning), so still going very slowly, with a goal of about 145-150.

As many have indicated, we are making progress! And I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel like my long-term attempt to lose weight since 2008 has really taught me a lot about myself and what certain foods do to me. I believe I will succeed when I get to maintenance.

oxymoronica
06-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Ooh, this is another one i can relate to, what with the PCOS and all...

I thought I was in a six-month long stall before I looked up my old weight records (I am a statistics freak with my weight loss, so I keep an excel sheet *blush*) and realized I have actually dropped a couple of pounds sloooowly.

I do agree, though, that I will probably be masterful at maintaining once I do reach my goal, since I am getting so much practice along the way. :)

kimmieval
06-07-2011, 01:43 AM
It took me a year to lose 30 lbs...I did everything right initially and the weight just took its sweet time coming off. I have friends who lost 30lbs in 4 mths!

Now that I am eating at maintenance, I ma still losing weight at the same pace..go figure!

Lovely
06-07-2011, 02:03 AM
I love this thread. I wish I could staple it to my forehead.

PinkyPie
06-07-2011, 03:12 AM
I have not read this whole thread but I just want to say "thanks!" I needed to read it!! sometimes I feel like the only freak show out there; from March to Nov 2009 I lost around 40 lbs, since then until about 20 days ago NOTHING. In fact I even put on a few pounds during my vacation in March and just prior to that I quit Weight Watchers all together (have been a member since 99, hit goal 2001, maintained 3 years, long-story-gained-it-all-back and took me years to get started again). I've been to doctors, had all the tests run, 2 dietitians, a sports doctor and the result is = fit as a fiddle, just overweight!!!

I started counting calories (and anyone who remembers me here knows I'm kind of against it) and I'm seeing the scale move again. who knows for how long - perhaps once I'm at that number I got stuck at again the same thing will happen.

I think the most important thing is that we never give up on ourselves, right?

Regera Dowdy
06-07-2011, 06:28 AM
This thread is awesome! I've lost 40 lbs in 15 months. I always do things in a roundabout sort of way, so it shouldn't surprise me that weight loss is the same. I don't envy people who've lost 100 lbs in less than a year, but I do envy people who have more resolve than I do. I've sometimes lapsed this last year, but because I've changed my eating habits (ie not eating white flour or sugar) my regains happen less often than I expected (twice!). Those regains are usually ~4-5 lbs, half of which ends up being water weight. It makes me happy that I've turned my diet around so much, and it took only a few months. I'd much rather lose weight slowly and keep it off than to easily lose and regain it just as quickly. I'm not saying those are the only ways to do it, but if I was very strict with myself I'd end up rebelling sooner or later. Probably sooner...

I also have PCOS, and I know it slows things down a lot. Combined with my casual approach, I don't expect to reach my goal for a couple of years. Maybe it's not as headline-worthy as someone losing 100 lbs in 6 months. Whatevs. My way works for me.

I love this thread. I wish I could staple it to my forehead.

Ouch! :faint:
Which way would it face?

Lovely
06-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Ouch! :faint:
Which way would it face?

:lol: Towards me, of course! ;) So I could be reminded every day. :yes:

calluna
06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
OP, I thought I would chime in not about slow loss but about the exercise and apparent weight gain.

I started working out again in January after a medical setback in the fall - a serious workout schedule - and also was appalled to see the scale go up and up and up about 6 or 8 pounds. And stay there.

It stayed for a month or so, and then it evaporated. I am not losing quickly as my body is doing a lot of reshaping, but it does go eventually. The workouts are more important than the scale right now, as you've noted, so just keep on keepin' on and you'll be fine. :)

sophiew
06-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I have lost 13 pounds in 5 months. I may have PCOS or metabolic syndrome - I am currently waiting for some test results to come back for a diagnosis. A couple of doctors have said things like "oh, it's good you're choosing to lose weight slowly!" What they don't realize is it's not a CHOICE - I am going as fast as I can!

IsabellaOlivia
06-08-2011, 05:31 PM
15,8 pounds since january...
*Le sigh*