Weight Loss Support - Do you ever get this?

View Full Version : Do you ever get this?

sierra51390
02-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I hate the fact that people always ask if im pregnant, no just fat lol. Hopefully not too much longer.

Mrs Business
02-18-2011, 04:07 PM
I get that all the time from people who don't know me... I try not to take it personally, but it does sting a little sometimes. Good Luck to you!

Eliana
02-18-2011, 04:11 PM
No, because we don't carry our babies in our rear ends. :D That's where all my weight packed on. Unfortunately, we just all carry our weight differently.

My best friend sure did though. One of her piano student's mom asked when she was due and wouldn't she want to take some time off with the new baby? :yikes: My poor friend was so shocked she said, "I'm not sure." :dizzy: I'm not sure how she ever solved it, but a few months went by with this mom asking her questions about her impending birth and my friend did not contradict her.

sierra51390
02-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah it does ive learned to not take it too personal but it gets irritating.

sierra51390
02-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Lol, sometimes with random customers i just go with it because after i say no just fat theyre like oh... So sorry

marie81
02-18-2011, 04:17 PM
i get it all the time, i think its where i have had 2 children and all my fat is around my middle.
it feels like i am losing the weight from the face down and i am only at my shoulders :( a long way to go before the belly goes

It will come off in the end we gotta just stick at it then we can give a BIG middle finger to those that upset us when we where fat
xx

amandie
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Oh yes! Once at a get-together, some guy there asked me why I am drinking and smoking while I'm pregnant. At first I was confused then it hit me.... so I said "I'm not pregnant, just fat. But thanks for your concern." >_<

vixxi
02-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Ugh, I hate it when that happens! I also store most of my fat in my belly. One time I was at a chinese restaurant and I ordered a bowl of chicken rice soup. The waitress said "Oh, good choice, that's good for the baby". I was instantly mortified. Of course I just said "Yes, thank you" but it upset me and being somewhat of an emotional eater, I said "f!ck it" and placed an order for chicken fingers as well! My sister used to get asked the same question here and there. I feel like unless it's blantanly obviously, like "ready to pop" kind of belly look, people should refrain from asking if your pregnant or when your due. Oh well, C'est la vie!

beerab
02-18-2011, 05:39 PM
When I was at my heaviest I started getting this question- it was MORTIFYING. I cried and told my husband I wasn't eating anymore lol. One was a neighbor the other was a my friend's father!

I guess that was part of my wake-up call.

asparagus4sale
02-18-2011, 06:46 PM
I definitely have gotten that many times. My favorite was when I was holding my 5 month old child and was buying him some clothes. The cashier went on and on about when I was due. My husband (now ex) replied 5 months ago - haha. The woman certainly felt like a fool. I would NEVER ask someone unless I was 100% sure!

sierra51390
02-18-2011, 07:01 PM
I am so glad I'm not the only one! Lol, thanks ladies :] the middle finger sounds great, but I'd probably get fired! I totally agree, if you look like youre going to pop, then go for it ask, but it's sooo irritating when youre just over weight! unfort I carry most of my weight in the mid section, but I deff do not think
I look pregnant.
marie81- I feel the same from the top up more so, but I just tried on a pair of 22's and they fit, they may have some stretch but they still fit! I started at a 26.

carter
02-18-2011, 07:01 PM
I feel like unless it's blantanly obviously, like "ready to pop" kind of belly look, people should refrain from asking if your pregnant or when your due. Oh well, C'est la vie!

DEAR MISS MANNERS -- What is the correct way to ask a woman if she is pregnant without offending her if she is not?

GENTLE READER -- "Darling, is it possible that you are about to make me a proud father?" Miss Manners warns you that if you are not in a position to put it that way, you must not ask.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/nov/19/best-bet-might-be-to-skip-question/

sierra51390
02-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Ugh, I hate it when that happens! I also store most of my fat in my belly. One time I was at a chinese restaurant and I ordered a bowl of chicken rice soup. The waitress said "Oh, good choice, that's good for the baby". I was instantly mortified. Of course I just said "Yes, thank you" but it upset me and being somewhat of an emotional eater, I said "f!ck it" and placed an order for chicken fingers as well! My sister used to get asked the same question here and there. I feel like unless it's blantanly obviously, like "ready to pop" kind of belly look, people should refrain from asking if your pregnant or when your due. Oh well, C'est la vie!

Lol! Sounds like something I would have done.

marie81
02-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Sierra thats a great loss honey from 26 to 22 well done girl :)
i work in construction and they are a load of sexist pigs so when they say about my wight i tell them to f**K off, but on the plus side they have seen i am losing and kinda helping hiding the bickies and given me oranges
i was born this way fat or slim I am still me and if you dont like it the middle finger will go up... sod what everyone else thinks.....stay positive xx

sacha
02-18-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm 5'5, 130 now, and I get asked this occasionally!!! Unless her water breaks & contractions start in front of me *ya know, in case she just wet herself oops!, I don't ever dare to ask anyone.

JessLess
02-18-2011, 08:24 PM
I haven't been asked in a long time but I used to a fair amount. Once was right after taking the bar exam and I really let the girl have it and told her what a RUDE thing it was to say and to f-off. And once a judge asked me in front of like 100 people if an upcoming court date would interfere with my due date. I said, "May the record reflect that I am NOT PREGNANT." The second time was funny, but I have developed a little more of a sense of humor about it. Seriously though, what kind of bird brain assumes that about someone. All kinds of things like certain medications can make someone look pregnant. Bad question!

Edited to add: Maybe I get asked less now that I am 40.

sierra51390
02-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Sierra thats a great loss honey from 26 to 22 well done girl :)
i work in construction and they are a load of sexist pigs so when they say about my wight i tell them to f**K off, but on the plus side they have seen i am losing and kinda helping hiding the bickies and given me oranges
i was born this way fat or slim I am still me and if you dont like it the middle finger will go up... sod what everyone else thinks.....stay positive xx

Wow, I can imagine! I like your way of thinking. Thank you btw! How long have you been doing this?

sierra51390
02-18-2011, 09:23 PM
I haven't been asked in a long time but I used to a fair amount. Once was right after taking the bar exam and I really let the girl have it and told her what a RUDE thing it was to say and to f-off. And once a judge asked me in front of like 100 people if an upcoming court date would interfere with my due date. I said, "May the record reflect that I am NOT PREGNANT." The second time was funny, but I have developed a little more of a sense of humor about it. Seriously though, what kind of bird brain assumes that about someone. All kinds of things like certain medications can make someone look pregnant. Bad question!

Edited to add: Maybe I get asked less now that I am 40.

I agree

stacygee
02-18-2011, 10:16 PM
I've had both... not pregnant but people think I am... and also 8 months pregnant and they don't "notice it's a baby".....

NeedHelpFast22
02-19-2011, 12:04 AM
I am roughly 13st.8pounds on my scales but I can vary anywhere between 13.6 to 13.8. I have also been asked this once in the past, last year sometime I believe it was ('when are you due?'), but I work in a bar and she looked like she wanted to pick a fight, was having a bad day and was looking for some1 to pick on, I believe it was out of spite to some1 random more than anything else. I used to, once upon a time, be 16st 1.5pounds, dreadfully unhappy so that is why my Mum dragged me along to weight watchers and i dropped to 12st.8pounds, I desperately would just like to even get back to that point again, but cannot seem to find the drive again... :( xxx

marie81
02-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Wow, I can imagine! I like your way of thinking. Thank you btw! How long have you been doing this?

Thanks Sierra :)
Iv been doing my job now for over 13years, you have to fight and work harder as female in the construction industry, I think thats where my attitude comes from.
Iv been dieting for about 4 months but in all honesty iv been on and off diets since i had my last child 7 years ago. going between 14 stone and 9 stone at my lowest, i so wish i was back there now but hopefully I will be.

Good luck honey this dieting is hard but we will get there in the end :)
How you getting on this week?

NeedHelpFast22
02-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks Sierra :)
Iv been doing my job now for over 13years, you have to fight and work harder as female in the construction industry, I think thats where my attitude comes from.
Iv been dieting for about 4 months but in all honesty iv been on and off diets since i had my last child 7 years ago. going between 14 stone and 9 stone at my lowest, i so wish i was back there now but hopefully I will be.

Good luck honey this dieting is hard but we will get there in the end :)
How you getting on this week?

Are the bottom 2 lines of this reply directed to me? I am beginning tomorrow or now, whichever way you look at it, a week till my birthday and I will turn 22 :D then hopefully a fresh look forward :) how are u getting on etc...? xxx

bronzeager
02-20-2011, 01:43 AM
Really? REALLY?!? People really ask other people they don't know very well whether they are pregnant?? Oh my goodness. I must have been brought up in a Ms. Manners family, I never would have thought to do something like that. One would hope after the first mistaken assumption that they would learn never to ask that again.

Mind you, where I work now in the Middle East, most of the local ladies wear such all encompassing clothing you have no idea what size they really are under there (black abayas are very elegant and slimming). Last month one of my students came to talk to me because she was concerned she might miss an exam, and when I asked why she said, "Because my baby is due!". And seriously I had no idea.