Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question Does jogging or running on the spot actually help?

Just wondering if jogging or running on the spot actually help burn calories? compared to actual jogging outside? What is the calorie burn for jogging on the spot?? How much?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

calorie counter websites would call this running in place. what i often did with the wii, is jump from side to side like i'm jumping rope. but i can't just jump in place, the remote won't pick it up as well. the cal burn is less running in place, but i get so sweaty doing it, i don't pay attention to that. just work on beating your best distance.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #3  
I CAN do this!

i use caloriesperhour dot com for calorie burning ESTIMATES. none of the counts are real. they are all overestimated. they don't take into consideration how much your body is adapted to that activity (more practice, you get effecient, body burns less calories) how much muscle you have, or your basal metabolic rate. that's what you would be burning even if you were just laying in bed.

anyway, they have very detailed lists, although i didn't find running in place. they do have running and walking calculators- put in the distance and speed. they figure out how many cals you burned.

so it's fine to look at the list. compare different activities. find ways to use more calories, but don't rely on it too much. how you feel is a much better guide than some so called list. dancing burns the least cal. but makes you feel great? do it! the wii says you burned a whopping 200 calories, when you just sweated buckets for 30 mins? ignore it and be proud of your endurance.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #4  
I CAN do this!

also the sticky- putting little weight in calorie burning...or something is at the top of this exercise forum. great article on there. lots of great info.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Heart rate monitor wise for me? Walking in place playing that Wii game "Walk It Out" gets me 250 cal burned in 30 minutes if the songs were fast. I do it with the nunchuck, NOT the balance board, so I can get more motion. (You have to walk to the beat of the song to collect coins to shop with)

Doing a beginner's DVD like Kim Lyons? This is a mix of easy weights and walking cardio steps that mixes in more movement. Depending on which color one it is 26-31 minutes long and I burn about 250-300 calories doing that.

So walking in place is pretty comparable. I'm sure I could get it higher if I was punching my arms and things like in the DVD workout.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-18-2011 at 12:15 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #6  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

ANY movement vs. sitting on the sofa helps.
Don't worry about the number of calories burned, just get up and move.
If you want to walk outside, go outside. If you like being indoors, stay indoors.
Whatever you enjoy is what you will do and stick with.

Good luck and keep movin'
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote