Alternachicks - off-topic

View Full Version : off-topic

ellis
12-07-2002, 08:45 AM
Now look here, girls. It seems to me that something is missing in these conversations of late.
Kat has asked for a kick in the butt. So has Den, Soozie, and a few others.
I have a novel idea.
Why don't we try to lose weight!?!?

By some weird freak of nature, I (having gained back the 3 pounds I'd lost last week) am back down to 189. Despite having eaten copious amounts of heart attack food in the last couple of days.

I suggest we AT LEAST try to eat relatively healthy food up until Christmas. Instead of abandoning hope. Otherwise we will all be starting the new year wearing a fresh, ten pound bag of potatoes on our butts.

Wanttolosealot
12-07-2002, 08:57 AM
Im with you Ellis. I have been dipping into the candy bowl lately. Still eating healthy meals, and working out, but nonetheless, I need to step away from the candies.
Virginia

Ruthxxx
12-07-2002, 09:22 AM
Off topic? There was a topic? You mean this is NOT about sex, jokes, food, periods, music and other exotica? Hmmmm.

Well, since you insist, I will join in the group- and self-buttkicking. I am "holding" at 211.5 but do have my BS (blood sugar!) down to 8.1 heading for a normal of below 7. However, I am eating too much of the wrong stuff - still have the other box of those Rocher chocolates.

I'm in! We may not lose but we should not gain.

soozie
12-07-2002, 11:22 AM
I ate three or four more of those Rochers this morning...thank goodness DP or should I say #%&*in'P only bought one box...sorry Ruth...get those things out of the house! and I ate two mint milano cookies...after I ate my on program breakfast.

So, I'm totally with you Ellis. Let's really get going. I probably won't get the the gym today...they close at 1:00pm on Sat and Sun but there is no reason why I can't work out at home...I'm going to do it. I'll check back in later and let you know what I did. Then I'm going to call a babysitter to watch my angel so I can work out at the gym tomorrow.

Now I feel really nauseus...I don't know how to spell that word but you know what I mean...from eating all of that stuff. Yuck!

Lets go girls...lets eat well and keep losing weight!
Love, Soozie
A holiday gift to ourselves.

Ruthxxx
12-07-2002, 01:17 PM
Well, I'm low carbing it these days to try to get the BS whacked down and resisted a lunch invitation today which I knew would lead to chips and a burger bun. Came home and ate some chicken and salad. I feel so virtuous!
:bravo: ME!

I am wrapping those damned chocolates and putting them in my DD's box to be mailed!

I AM GOING TO WIN THIS DAMNED BATTLE!

VelvetCyberpunk
12-07-2002, 02:26 PM
My Mom and I agreed (We're on this diet together, she lives with me) that we would have a free day once a week, and while it hasn't caused a lot of trouble as far as losing (except for that whole steroid thing with my period problem I had around Thanksgiving) we've both been managing to lose steadily. The problem is we feel so sick, and gassy after we eat the junk. So, because we are tired of being up all night due to nausea, and gas we are going to stop the once weekly free days and stay on program all of the time. If we give in and eat wrong once in a while so be it but it will no longer be scheduled. So yeah, I'm there with you, sign me up. :D

katrinabgood
12-07-2002, 03:12 PM
I'm in! This IS a weight loss website, is it not? I'm committing, right here and now, to avoiding that 10 lb sack o' holiday taters on my A$$!

Thanks for the wake up call, Ellis! love ya!

flower
12-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Yes, reality checks are good every once in awhile. I suppose I could get my butt off this chair and go for a walk. I did hang holiday lights yesterday and I cleaned the garage today. I got a puzzle book so I would stay out of the munchies. I have to find something to do if I am stressed. I walked yesterday at a craft show, carrying a 2 year old. But what I need to do is start excersicing again. I know I won't completely buckle down and diet til I am on my own but I can get started and not lose any more ground! ~flower

dentrassi
12-07-2002, 08:51 PM
THANK YOU ELLIS!!! If we can keep it together until the holidays, it will be easier to keep it together during the holidays.

CONGRATULATIONS ON RE-LOSING THAT # POUNDS!!!!!

sabrina
12-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Gosh, I just started WW a week ago yesterday, so I'm still
in the "honeymoon" period and have yet to fall off the wagon. :)
So if anyone needs a swift kick in the a** I've got my boots on!

Here's a "motivational" story for you ...

Last night at the Mexican restaurant, I told myself before I even got there that I would sip on a Diet Pepsi as I waited for my soup, and that NOT ONE tortilla chip with salsa would go into
my mouth. Even though I was ravenous and the chips and salsa looked soooooooo good (and DF was downing them like no tomorrow) I held my ground and DIDN'T EAT A BITE.

By the time my soup came, I really was good and hungry for it, and I left the restaurant with just a mild feeling of fullness.

This was a major step for me as in years past, I probably would have easily put away 20 or 30 chips before my meal even got there ...

WE CAN DO IT GIRLS! WE CAN LOSE WEIGHT OVER THE HOLIDAYS!

S.

VelvetCyberpunk
12-07-2002, 11:57 PM
Hey !!!!!! Good for you Sabrina! That's the way to stick with it. It feels good when you stick with a plan doesn't it? You go girl!

mauvaisroux
12-08-2002, 01:51 AM
I'm in too!

DH and I went to price club today to pick up some food for the Christmas party we are having.

The little extras we bought besides fixings for real food:

1 large bag of licorice allsorts
1 large box of Cadbury's chocolate finger biscuits
1 box of Lindt chocolate truffles

.... on the condition that it all remains sealed until Christmas Eve and is put out for the party! I will behave...I will behave...

dentrassi
12-08-2002, 08:56 AM
YUM!!! LICORICE ALLSORTS!!!!!

I've started buying candy and other treats too, and the kids have been pleading for "just one piece" every day!!! I refuse to open them (even though I feel kinda mean denying them) because I KNOW if I do they'll be gone by Christmas!!!

mauvaisroux
12-08-2002, 11:06 AM
Den-stay strong girl! Christmas eve is not that far away.

My plan is to eat well and healthy, not eat goodies and save myself for Christmas Eve/Day when I will eat whatever I want in reasonable portions for 2 days.

I don't think is the actual 2 days that affects me every year. I think it is the little bits and bites of snacking from December 1st onward that accumulate and turn into the 5 lb gain by Jan 1st.
I haved vowed not to do that this year-so far so good :)

Ruthxxx
12-08-2002, 11:52 AM
Allsorts! Love them! I'd forgotten about them! I WILL NOT BUY THEM!!! They are soooo British but not as Brit as Marmite - which they have at one of the local food stores! (over in Portland, Ellis and Mauvais!)

barefootgrrrl
12-08-2002, 01:24 PM
Yes! count me in.....although I've continued to lose ( yeah!), I've had some slips, such as: testing out new low carb recipes and eating too much of the ones I've liked (oh! 2 carb gram almond cookies).......and having a real Starbucks caffe mocha every now and then...wrong!

I'm with Velvet on this - whenever I've gone over - I pay for it with stomach problems - ugh - quickly reaching the point of not worth it! so I'm thinking "great, the body has a built-in revolting response! that should help......":p

The odd thing is - my clothes are getting looser more quickly than the pounds are going down on the scale.....has this ever happened to any of you chicks? WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?

My DD told DH that she wished Mommy would buy some new clothes that aren't baggy!

licorice allsorts? are those the multi-colored with white and black assorted shapes candy? I've seen them in bags in the gourmet shops?

Mauvais I give you credit for being able to keep super yummy snackies around several days before the main event!

Terri

barefootgrrrl
12-08-2002, 02:55 PM
oh forgot to mention something amazing. DH has a friend at work. In Sept. he weighed over 400 lbs and went for gastric bypass surgery and liposuction. He has lost 80 lbs - but in my humble opinion, that is 80 pounds the hard way :(

I would really hope I can lose this weight. I don't want surgery in my future :(

I am down 20 but still have 80 to go

Ok, telling myself to cheer up and buck up

Terri :)

Lidian
12-08-2002, 08:12 PM
I'm in for a weight loss...challenge, incentive, thingie? Whatever, it would be good, especially at this very challenging time of the year when there is more chocolate in the stores than cat hair on my couches (and that, dear friends, is a LOT!).

Terri, the same thing happens to me! Things are fitting better, but the scale's the same. And then eventually the scale drops s-l-o-w-l-y...after a long dry plateau. But I say that clothes don't lie! Clothes are not out to please us, they cannot magically expand (I think they CAN shrink though LOL!). Your body is shaping up evven when it is not seeming to lose weight, because you are looking after it so well. So many kudos to you, and have fun buying some new clothes!

Sabrina, well done on avoiding those nachos - I never really can! I remember when we used to go out with a couple of friends and polish off an enormous order of loaded nachos (sigh), years ago when it didn't really show up on my rear end the next day! (At least I never thought it did, I was probably kidding myself!) The family likes to make them sometimes and I just have a few plain ones but it is very hard. Keep up the great work!

I will say that I would LIKE to lose 5 pounds by New Year's Eve (hardy har har) but it would be much more realistic to say I would like to MAINTAIN my present weight through the holidays...

I wonder if anyone knows how many calories there are in brandy beans? We will probably have some around later on (they are delicious and cheap and yummy!) and I will probably have some at some point!

Lidian

sydney veggie girl
12-08-2002, 08:33 PM
I love the idea of losing more weight - finally my scales didn't stay they same they moved!!!!! you have to realise they have tortured me with the same 87kg (191.4 lbs) for about 3 weeks now and as of yesterday they said 85.5kg (188.1 lbs) Yay for me.

I dont tend to gain weight at this time of year as the parties we end up going to dont know how to cater for vegetarians - i end up with more salad in my diet then anything else.

I have joined the gym and am going 5 days a week and feel great.

Anyway i in for the whole diet/fitness/new me thing!!

:strong: i intend to be very strong and determined and get this weight moving off of me.

soozie
12-08-2002, 10:00 PM
It seems like ever since the four day Thanksgiving weekend I haven't been truly on program. part of it was the pms thing. Part was just getting off of track and part was having some junky food around.

So, tomorrow starts a new week and a new start on program. I have no excuse for not going to the gym tomorrow. I did not exercise today but got a ton of laundry done and finally balanced my checkbook and paid my bills.

So, I feel like I was productive.
Keep going girls. We can do it!
Love, Soozie

rochemist
12-08-2002, 10:58 PM
Going on vacation on the 18th and I definitely need the wake-up call for the straight and narrow otherwise known as a kick in the butt!

I need no rationalizing if I have a bad day I come in here and tell ya'll about the roll of cookie dough I ate. I expect some what the heck were ya thinking you want a front side like Santa's? I only have a mere 85 lbs to go and in 2003 I am getting there.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Miss Chris:devil:

ellis
12-09-2002, 07:09 AM
Good morning, darlings...

I'm going to the gym this morning.
A friend and I made our truffles last night. While drinking wine and eating appetizers and pizza. :( I feel a little ill. I think I'm over binging (for the present, anyhow). I only ate one truffle and one piece of pizza. But I'd just eaten about a dozen of those liquor filled chocolates, and the truffles just didn't measure up taste-wise.

You know, it's -20 out there right now. Yet it's going up to 0 tomorrow. How can that be...
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
No wonder I'm brain dead this morning.

Sydney... congratulations on losing some weight! You're doing great with the gym thing! :dance:

OI812
12-09-2002, 08:27 AM
Thank you for re-connecting with the reason why we are all here.
It's great to talk to you all about everyday life, share laughs, etc. but....I wasn't really feeling I was getting all the support I needed because I think we all lost focus of why we are here. Believe me, I'm not dissing you girls in anyway, and I'm as much to blame as the rest of you.
So lets stay focus, and remember the reason why we are all here...and that doesn't mean we can't talk about life in general, who's car broke down, who's going to the doctor etc, but lets make it our first priority to post about how we are doing on our diets.
And I'd like to make a few suggestions on making this thread a bit more dieter friendly.....without stepping on anyones toes.

1) Sharing low-cal/low-fat recipes would and could help alot of us who need something new to make/eat.

2)Sharing new finds at grocery stores.

These are just my opinions that would help me out a great deal. If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to post them.

Again, my intentions weren't to step on anyones toes or upset anyone here. I just want to let you know how I was feeling.

Hope everyone has a great day.
I'm off to make myself an omlette for breakfast!

Kelly

mauvaisroux
12-09-2002, 09:41 AM
I started 5 weight/goal/WOE related threads this morning so we can all get focused again :)

OI812
12-09-2002, 10:22 AM
THANKS MAUVAISROUX!!!!!!!

Sojourner
12-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Huh??? Lose weight???

:lol: :?: :lol:

Ruthxxx
12-22-2002, 03:42 PM
Bumping this up and trying hard to focus!

squeaker
12-22-2002, 05:33 PM
Thanks for bumping this up Ruthxxx.

I am really trying hard to focus on losing wieght. No more BS excuses. If I don't do something soon I will just feel worse. :p

ellis
12-22-2002, 07:29 PM
Oh yeah... losing weight. That's a bit of a giggle, isn't it? I'm popping out of everything I own.
I DID find a new article of clothing in my closet, though! It's actually a brown wool sleeveless dress with a zip all the way down the front. It won't go around my hips, but I've discovered that if I leave it open over my jeans and a top, I look like Maude. Pretty damn chic, I tell you. :D

Lidian
12-22-2002, 08:20 PM
We used to watch Maude all the time! I always wanted to rule the house the way she did!;)

I would like to stay focused on the weight-loss (or maintenance!) thing over the next few crucial days especially - ah, and then the slide to New Year's Eve. I must not look at all the candy in the house and say sadly, but why don't we just get some brandy beans? We don't HAVE any brandy beans!

So DH says OK I'll get you some (isn't he nice!)

And then I shriek NO NO, don't! Like the lunatic I am:lol:

I am eating a chocolate mint now but I counted it into the day's total so it is all right, I guess...

Lidian

dentrassi
12-22-2002, 09:47 PM
I feel fatter than ever right now. About to blow up. (Remember Mr. Creosote in Monty Python's "Meaning of Life"?)

Ruthxxx
12-23-2002, 08:01 AM
Not gaining and not losing but blood sugar is slowly creeping down. There IS hope.
So far I have rationed myself to one tiny treat per day but the next week will be the big test. It helps to be on Low Carb because I am never really hungry.
But who says you eat candy when you are hungry?

Lidian
12-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Exactly, Ruth! I usually eat candy when I am full but I still want a little something. I haven't lost weight in a week, after a month of good results, so I think the chocolate is catching up with me. I resolve to get through today at least without any candy!

I am taking the girls to the movies tomorrow so that could be challenging candywise!

Let's help each other this week especially - and next week. Posting here is so great because it keeps me focused on the big picture. Usually I just see the candy box that's in front of me right then...

Lidian