100 lb. Club - *sigh* feeling very discouraged

View Full Version : *sigh* feeling very discouraged

OhMyDogs
02-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Uggg....

I started my journey last month, and in my first week, I lost 6 lbs. While I knew it wasn't a rate at which I couldn't continue to lose weight at, it was great motivation. Went through a short cycle of slipping, then getting back on track, losing 1 pound here, 1 pound there. I joined a gym, started working out 3x a week, and making sure I drank my 64oz of water each day, but my weight has stagnated. It's been about 10 days and I haven't lost any weight.

Don't get me wrong, I know there will be stalls in the journey, but I didn't expect it to happen so early on. Then I went and did a body fat calculator (online) today, and found out that apparently my body fat is about 60%. I knew it was high, but that's horribly depressing, especially combined with the fact that I can't get any weight to come off.

I am just very discouraged right now. I had put my scale away on the weekend, so I wouldn't obsess about it so much, and pulled it down today, and got on, and nope....no weight loss. SIGH.

Leec37
02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Keep your chin up. I have kind of been in the same boat. The first week I lost 6.2lbs then the second week I gained 1.8 then the third week I lost 2. You get the picture. The whole process is sometimes very frustrating, but don't give up. Know that you're not alone and we can all get through this together.:hug:

Emme
02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Stay strong ~ your weight stall could be a myriad of things: PMS water retention, TOM water retention, water retention from exercise, the list could go on and on...

The main thing is to stay focused and keep looking at your goal. Your BMI may be at 60% right now, but you know what? You can change that and you are on the right path! Just stick with it and don't get discouraged to the point of giving up.

A motto that always helps me is: "The only way I am going to fail is if I give up." Don't give up!! :)

sick_n_tired
02-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I know from the core of my soul how frustrating it can be.

But know this: it's physically impossible to NOT to eventually lose weight (barring some rare disease) if you are operating your body with a consistant calorie deficit.

OhMyDogs
02-16-2011, 05:22 PM
I am eating 1300 calories, working out for over an hour 3x a week at the gym, and then some very light weights on my off gym days....maybe I am just not doing enough. All I was doing the first week was walking about 20 minutes a day, and counting calories.

It's just so frustrating to not have SOME loss, I'd be fine with slow loss, as long as it was a loss!

Emme
02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
For your height and weight 1300 calories, IMO, is too low to start at. If you eat too little calories and work out, your body may hold onto the fat because it may think that it is being starved. I eat 1650-1850 calories every week, work out 4-5 times a week, and I lose weight easily. Up your calories for a few weeks (not just a few days) and see what happens. Don't be scared to try it. It seems scary, like "why would I go up in calories if I want to lose weight?" I started at 1500 and wanted to jump up to 1700-1800 to see what would happen and everything is going well.

Laffalot
02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
HANG IN THERE! I know we all have been there & it is really hard to stay motivated. But know that we are all right there with you. :grouphug: I'm a slow loser too. And it is so, your BMI will go down as you lose weight........that is a very good thing. Maybe put the scale away for awhile & just concentrate on the exercise, etc & see that after awhile your clothes will be fitting much better, etc. Remember too you lose body fat but gain muscle. And you have harsh winters in Sask. so you can't be outside. I don't "do ice" myself. GOOD ON YOU for going to the gym! :bravo: Keep it up & you will see results. And keep in touch! :wave:

Gale02
02-16-2011, 05:35 PM
1300 calories isn't very much for a person at your weight. Have you tried eating a bit more? Although "starvation mode" is pretty much a myth, some aspects of it hold true. You will eventually lose weight if you're operating on a deficit, but your body can make it more difficult if you're not eating enough to fuel your activity. Just something to think about.

CutieCourt
02-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Ohmydogs: it seems like you are doing the right things! Keep on trucking! I've been struggling too but this isn't the end!! You can do this! Maybe you're calories aren't in the right area. Someone told me that I wasnt eaten enough calories when I was exercising alot and my body went into starvation mode which caused it to store EVERYTHING!

stalls happen...but there may be more to why!

If it makes you feel any better my bmi morbidly obese and i have a 53% body fat content, I went to the doctor and got tested to
See what my body fat percentage was.
It happens to the best of us! It helps to focus on the positive, although sometimes it hard. You'll get over this slump and when you do, take me with you!!!

:)

beerab
02-16-2011, 05:42 PM
I have to agree- at 288 you should eat more like 1800 calories a day- try that for 2 weeks and see how it goes :) If you still don't lose go up to 2,000.

Theoretically your body needs 2880 calories to maintain cuz you are 288 lbs. Now if you take 75% of that number that's 2160 so technically you can eat 2160 and still lose- specially cuz you are working out.

OF COURSE those should be nutritionally sound calories overall- not 2000 calories worth of chips lol.

also at 288 pounds it's recommended you drink more like 144 oz of water :) I'm 193 and I get at least 100 oz of water a day. SO far it's almost 2 pm and I've had almost 40 oz of water- I drink water more at night for some reason.

OhMyDogs
02-16-2011, 05:45 PM
I went with 1300 cause it's the low side of what SparkPeople said I should eat. I don't exactly know what that's based on. It was 1200 until I added my gym activity.

I have been surviving on 1200-1300 calories a day since Jan 11 (aside from some slips), and would love to have a little more caloric freedom. How do I determine how many calories I actually should be eating? I will admit to being afraid I will put weight back on, but honestly I'll try almost anything to get out of this slump. I had a breakdown on Sunday about this, then put my scale away. I felt sure that I had gained some water weight with having started the gym (scale went up by 4lb in 2 days), so when i got back on today, I honestly expected there would be a drop of some sort. When there wasn't....ugg...well here I am.

OhMyDogs
02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I have to agree- at 288 you should eat more like 1800 calories a day- try that for 2 weeks and see how it goes :) If you still don't lose go up to 2,000.

Theoretically your body needs 2880 calories to maintain cuz you are 288 lbs. Now if you take 75% of that number that's 2160 so technically you can eat 2160 and still lose- specially cuz you are working out.

OF COURSE those should be nutritionally sound calories overall- not 2000 calories worth of chips lol.

also at 288 pounds it's recommended you drink more like 144 oz of water :) I'm 193 and I get at least 100 oz of water a day. SO far it's almost 2 pm and I've had almost 40 oz of water- I drink water more at night for some reason.

Thank you for this information!!! I will up my calories (I am having my afternoon snack now, and it was a piece of bread with peanut butter and 2 cups of green beans LOL).

As for 144oz of water OMG....that's DOUBLE what I have been drinking...more than!! All I can do is try! I am working on my second litre now, and will go through at least a litre when I go to the gym tonight.

Wow...up my calories by 500 a day...that's like an extra snack AND supper!!

Emme
02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Wow...up my calories by 500 a day...that's like an extra snack AND supper!!

It's nice, right?! I felt the same way when I upped mine from 1500 to 1800. Woo-hoo! More food (but not junk food)!!! :dizzy:

OhMyDogs
02-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Nope, no junk food here....I had fast food last night, but that's a whole other threat (it really is, it's in Calorie Counters though)...for the most part my eating is pretty clean...I am eating way more fruits and veggies than I used to, a lot less carbs, way less refined sugar too. My energy level has been a lot higher than before I changed my eating and before I started exercising. I am not using mayonnaise anymore, nor am I using salad dressings, tzatziki and salsa are my "sauces" of choice.

Now, if only I could find a way to make hot wings low cal! LOL

beerab
02-16-2011, 06:33 PM
The equation was given to me by my old trainer- so it's weight x 10 x .75 (for 75%) = what you need to eat to lose weight.

He said he feels 75% is low enough to lose while not so low the body freaks out.

That sounds like a good snack to me! I love a slice of wheat toast with 1 tbsp of pb :D

Oh and the water is take your weight, divide by half, and that's the number of oz of water to drink a day :)

Oh and fast food kills me cuz it's so loaded with sodium and fat- I only eat out once a week now and I try to make it low carb- full of protein and veggies :) IE something like chicken fajitas with no tortillas or an omelette with veggies and protein and a size of tomato slices or something- I only drink water also.

Porthardygurl
02-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Hey OhMYdogs, We are almost at the same weight right now and i totally share in your frustration and discouragement. I am working out almost every day and counting calories and doing south beach at the same time and in the first week i lost 7 pounds and im now finishing the second week and ive only gone down like .5 of a pound....and yet im doing everything right..i know its going so slow..its discouraging..i want to throw my scale out cause it feels like my hard work is doing nothing..Nothing to show for..I try to eat about 1600 calories but its hard getting up past 1200..im trying to figure out how to add more good calories.. It takes so long when there is such a long way to go..ive got another 95 pounds to go..

OhMyDogs
02-16-2011, 06:50 PM
PHgurl, we should be buddies, I'm even from your neck of the woods (originally), I am Victoria born and raised!

Maybe you need to up your calories too? Things like peanut butter are a good, healthy way to get calories in :) I'm not sure what else, I'm gonna have to rearrange my thinking when i go get groceries, and allow for some higher calorie (but not crazy high) foods. Eggs are about 75 calories per egg (whites are a lot lower), cheese (even light cheese) is high in calories too, avocado is higher too i think ...maybe we should ask in the calorie counting forum??

beerab
02-16-2011, 07:27 PM
You can even google healthy snacks, I'd stay away from anything that is mostly carbs though.

Peanut butter with celery
Cauliflower with a bit of ranch (FF if you like)
Other veggies such as carrots in baggies.
Hard boiled egg (the yolk is good for you)
Tuna with mustard and veggies
a few pickles spears or mini pickles
some almonds
sugar free jello
etc

luckymommy
02-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I wanted to chime in here by saying something that I read here a few months ago. Someone said that the concept that we lose 1-2 lbs. per week really messes with our heads...and I agree. We actually lose up to 1-2 lbs. a week on average. I also read somewhere here that when we have been obese for a while, it makes those weight loss formulas of what we should lose if we create x amount of deficit quite inaccurate. This isn't for everyone and all of our bodies are so different. I just wanted to say that those two things really resonated with me because it made me realize that I have this idea of how I am supposed to lose weight and when that doesn't happen, I get very discouraged and feel like giving up. I hope this helps someone.

OhMyDogs
02-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Thank you beerab....we were just trying to find healthy ways of eating MORE calories, as increasing by 500 is going to be a bit of a challenge.

Also...this will probably sound like a dumb question, but if I drink 144 oz of water a day (that's 4.5 litres) don't I have to worry about water intoxication, or of offsetting my electrolytes? Yeah, I have a little anxiety LOL.

Caring4myself
02-16-2011, 10:51 PM
OhMyDogs, I definitely understand where you are coming from. Thank you for expressing how you feel. The responses from everyone else have helped me. I'm doing Diet to Go and I'm on their 1200 calorie low fat plan. I'm going to add more calories. That is after I work of the extra I've added from my 4 day binge.

I also get on my scale constantly. I have scaled it back some, because I don't want to see when the scale goes up and down. I think it does something to me mentally when I see the scale number increase.

OhMyDogs
02-17-2011, 10:31 AM
OK So I have a question....I got on the scale this morning, because I was going to get a new "start weight" for my new, improved, upped calorie try. So I get on, and POOF, I am down 3lbs since yesterday (YAY YAY YAY)

Do I still proceed to increase my calories?

I'll do whatever you all think is best, I just want to be sure.

shannonmb
02-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Hey Ohmydogs, I'm late to the thread, but I wanted to tell you that I lose weight in whooshes, and even moreso now that I've started really ramping up my exercise. It was really frustrating to be working my fanny off and have the scale stay the same for 2 weeks! Then I'd lose 4 lbs. This last stall lasted almost 3 weeks, then I lost 5 last week. Stayed the same this week, probably will again next week, then I hope for another whoosh.

I do tend to eat more calories than you do -- 1500-1600 most days. I am very satisfied on that amount, don't tend to get out of control munchies and hunger pangs, and have lost 87 lbs in about 9 months (15 since New Years!). Can't hurt to give increasing calories a try, except that I know it can be a bit scary. The whole thing's an experiment, really, and I wanted to find a range that I could lose decently in but with some room to move down if I really sincerely stall out later on down the line.

Congrats on the 3 lbs! WOOOOOO!

beerab
02-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Water intoxication is something to worry about if you ONLY drank water. You will still be eating food and you will also be urinating so you should be fine.

You can also build up the water consumption- try to go up 8 oz a day until you hit a spot that is comfortable for you- maybe shoot for over 100 oz a day until you are comfortable with that number then adjust up if you think you need to.

I would still increase the calories- you don't want your body to get used to living off of that small amount as it is.

OhMyDogs
02-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Water intoxication is something to worry about if you ONLY drank water. You will still be eating food and you will also be urinating so you should be fine.

You can also build up the water consumption- try to go up 8 oz a day until you hit a spot that is comfortable for you- maybe shoot for over 100 oz a day until you are comfortable with that number then adjust up if you think you need to.

I would still increase the calories- you don't want your body to get used to living off of that small amount as it is.

Thank you very much!!!

Now, I just gotta find a way to fill in these extra calories!! LOL. I am also going to step up my working out at home. I do a good job the 3x a week I go to the gym, but what I do at home on my non-gym days is sissy! Time to get up and doooo it!!!

NubiaxRu
02-20-2011, 12:15 AM
...Just adding some support...don't give up and remember why you're losing weight in the first place. I know that sometimes when i have my cheat days and I get on the scale in see that I have gained it make me want to quit, but I realize that my reasons for losing weight are bigger than my current disappointment (if that makes sense).