South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Unhappy Trying really hard to not give up on this..:(

Okaaay...so.. i left my beautiful home by the beach to go down with my fiancee and daughter to see my Mom and Dad...I got excited going from my own little town of 5000 with nothing there, to an actual city that has a mall and health food store plus several grocery store. Upon arrival..one of the first topics of debate from my family was "diet and how are we going to accomadate you"..Well..the answer was " i can buy my own food to make my own meals since its apparent the rest of my family does not eat even close to the way i do" <---- i find there daily food choices to be rather bland..i would die of boredom due to lack of spices..and for my birthday celebration, in which i will be turning 25 in a few days, i offered to make my birthday dinner instead of going out to a restraunt for them..since trying to eat sugar free and gluten free and wheat free is hard in a restraunt..why bother paying for a 14$ salad that i could make at home myself.

So i made the cauliflour veggie pizza for my family and they thought it was high fat..my mother seems to think having one slice of pizza with part skim mozzerella is too much fat..plus the eggs in the crust and the cheese in the crust.. Then i made my own version of a birthday cake because my mother who said would make my bean-y birthday cake, didnt do so... So i served them 3 minute flourless chocolate cake with a drizzle of chocolate agave syrup and a tbsp of whip and a little chia pudding on the side. My mothers quam of course was the fact that there was supposedly too much whip on her cake and the chia pudding made her feel like she was eating mush bird seed..(I find this odd of course because she lovs tapioca pudding and she puts whip cream in her coffee in the morning)

One night, my fiancee and i went out on a date to the movies(we dont have a movie theatre in our town) and i got a bag of popcorn and a diet soda..it was my only cheat... i was worried, especially since i didnt do any exercise the entire five days i was there..except for short walks..

So i get home, and jump on my scale first thing this morning and it hasnt moved more than .5 of a pound. To everyone who has seen me..they claim i have a NSV but i am so dissapointed that even with my healthy decisions that i made all week and lower calorie meals with the exception of the popcorn..im dissapointed it has not moved... I know people claim i look smaller and i should be happy but i always look to my scale to see success and it has shown nothing as of late ..which makes me want to curl up and give up..cause i feel like ive been working hard at this..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #2  
focused.

S/C/G: 125/65/65 (kg)

Height: 1.73/5'8"

The scale will move eventually, and when you gonna get the awsome feeling of success you ll be glad that you didnt gave up. I have weeks that my scale doesnt move at all, without any change to my diet, but i know the only thing important is for me to keep eating healthy, whether the scale agrees with me or not. Besides.. its not only about numbers, its how you feel good with yourself

Just keep up the good work, for you health n the scale will eventually agree with your persistance
Engraved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Not everybody in your family is going to agree with what you're doing - people are resistant to change. But if you believe you are doing the right thing for yourself, and you continue, you will have success. If you give up, where will you be in a year? If you don't, and you continue to lose at even a half pound a week, thats 26 lbs gone. It's likely you are retaining water from the salty popcorn and the scale is not accurately reflecting your loss anyway. Drink lots of water and give it a few days. Getting hung up on the scale is not helpful, I know, I have done that exact thing, even to weighing myself every time I go to the bathroom to pee. DD1 "borrowed" my scale and I don't have one in the house right now. It's a relief really. I know I'll see progress in other ways, and not focus so much on the number.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

There are two issues here: your family's attitude towards this diet, or dieting in general, and your rate of weight loss.

You can't do anything about your family's attitude. That's the bottom line. You will need to somehow get yourself to a place where you can disengage enough that their criticism doesn't make you doubt yourself and what you are doing. Easier said than done, and it will still be annoying to hear.

About your weight loss, I think you started SB just in January and lost 9 lbs. the last I heard. So even if you just lost 9.5 lbs while staying on plan, in 6 weeks that's a good rate of loss. If you've gone off plan more than the popcorn, that could be why you are not losing more rapidly.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I don't get it.

You went on vacation and you managed to maintain/lose a tiny bit. This is wild success in my book, and you are upset over it?

The family junk -- that's just blahblahblah. Let it go in one ear and out the other.

But the other bit... You can't loose down to 0 lbs. You will eventually maintain and that means... guess what? No change on the scale. And you will work hard for the no change on the scale. Learn to celebrate a maintain as much as a loss!

You might reconsider your attitude when you are having Life stuff like vacations and bdays. It's totally fine to eat to maintain at those times and not eat to lose. It doesn't mean you failed the program. It means you are working the program realistically and still having a Life!

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-16-2011 at 02:57 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/168/125

Height: 5'2

Congrats on your weight loss so far!
I have learned to appreciate when my scale doesn't go up from eating a cheat food, it may stay the same but at least it doesn't rise. At least your family acknowledged the fact that you do eat differently and didn't try and cram their food down your throat. I know it would have been better if they had liked the food too but maybe that is asking to much.
Best wishes and keep up the good work.
Dusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

So what happens if you give up? Will you be happy going back to eating unhealthy foods and gaining back all that you've lost, and then some?????

What is more important to you? Pleasing yourself or pleasing your family?

Look at all you've learned in the time you've been on this plan. You are making healthy changes to your body, plus you've lost more than 9 lbs. so far!

Think about that.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #8  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Step away from the scale. You're driving yourself crazy.

So here's what you do. Pick 3 consecutive days each month. Weigh yourself each day at the same time. I like first thing in the morning, after a bathroom celebration, and stark naked. Preferably. Gaming the system here.

Make sure those 3 days are NOT during your menstrual cycle. Preferably the halfway point to your TOM.

Average what the scale says on those days. That'll be your weight loss.

During the month, stick to the plan! Something might be throwing you off: try eliminating diet soda. I'll bet the sodium in the popcorn could be influencing your weight loss- sodium does a number on me.

And relax a little bit. This is hard, but your attitude can make this a lot easier. So look at this as not a short term solution, but a life long decision. Once you embrace the change, it gets a lot easier.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Scales lie. Take your measurements. My relatives finally accepted my way of eating and doesn't hassle me anymore. They'll get over it. I agree, if you lost something at all on a vacation, I would be very happy!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote