Weight Loss Support - What's your go to food?

View Full Version : What's your go to food?

Katydid77
02-14-2011, 02:06 PM
So, when you have a craving that looks like it cause a real problem, I'm curious as to what everyone's go-to food is??

I know mine is a chocolate flavored protein shake. I'm not even a big chocolate person, but when I am craving something substantial, its the mix of the 30 grams of protein, the sweet taste of the shake, and the chocolate itself that seems to satisfy me on all levels.

It's 270 calories, but if I'll drink it, it pretty much takes care of my hunger no matter what, at least for a few hours. And it always keeps me from binging or eating something much worse.

What is everyone else's??

berryblondeboys
02-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Mine is the same. Just discovered it. It's 150 calories, I double the amount of water that it says to mix it with to make it more palatable to me, but yes, 150 calories, chock full of nutrients and I think 26 grams of protein. Takes care of the sweet tooth every time and anything else I would eat would be way over that calorie limit, for sure!

aimeebell
02-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Usually, I will find a way to work into my diet whatever it is that I am craving.

berryblondeboys
02-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Usually, I will find a way to work into my diet whatever it is that I am craving.

Most of the time I don't know what I'm craving - just something sweet! Once in awhile an orange will do the trick. Sometimes it spoon of Jif peanut butter, but that shake takes care of chocolate and sweet and I acutally like it!

MissSMcC
02-14-2011, 02:31 PM
i love junk food so theres no way i can just completely avoid it, if im craving chocolate i have a weight watchers belgian chocolate slice (90cals), if its crisps i have the baked kind (between 89-99cals), if its sweets i have sugar free jelly (double portion is only 18 cals!!)

DixC Chix
02-14-2011, 02:39 PM
I had my answer before I finished reading the title - dark chocolate covered raisins. And kettle chips. :devil:

But then I read the rest of it and A-HA!!! You want the healthy 'go to' food.

I have one South Beach high fiber Chocolate Mocha bar in stead of the DCC raisins and one serving of Special K cracker chips as a sub for the kettle chips.

They are good enough to satisfy. I can never have just one serving of the others. :o

I need the chew factor.

Eliana
02-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Popcorn. :corn: Because nine times out of ten I'm not actually hungry, I'm feeling munchy. Nothing takes care of my munchies like a bowl of popcorn.

If I'm truly hungry, yogurt does the trick or any other protein. It's got to be protein for me.

berryblondeboys
02-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Oh, for the salty chip fix, I found Trader Joe's Baked Lentil chips work for me. 22 chips is 130 calories, but I usually can't eat more than 10 because they are black pepper spicy. LOVE them. unfortunately, so does my husband and teenage boy, so keeping them in the house is difficult!

nelie
02-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Fruit usually.

I like frozen strawberries because it takes a while to eat them. I also like apples and pears. I may also add some nuts or nut butter with them for a more complete snack.

CosmicGal
02-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Most of the time for me it is something salty. So I like to grab a handful of goldfish. If it is sweet, I keep chocolate yogart in my house, well when the kids don't go after it and that takes care of that. I have been eyeing the skinny cow ice cream bars at work, I might have to pick those up to just try.

MariaMaria
02-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Protein (yogurt or tuna) if I'm actually hungry. Baked potato (no butter) or oatmeal if it's mental.

Aubrey87
02-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Oatmeal :)

Jasmine31
02-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Popcorn. :corn: Because nine times out of ten I'm not actually hungry, I'm feeling munchy. Nothing takes care of my munchies like a bowl of popcorn.

If I'm truly hungry, yogurt does the trick or any other protein. It's got to be protein for me.

I am the same way i LOVE popcorn! I used to eat a whole bag(microwave). I am now counting the cals and eating only half a bag. lol

Leec37
02-14-2011, 03:20 PM
When I encounter the "I'm hungry because I'm bored feeling" I reach for Mint Chocolate Chip gum by Extra. This is currently my favorite little rescue item to curb any cravings.

LLBoldAsLove87
02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
When I really shouldn't eat something - Vanilla Chai Tea

When I need a snack - 2 TB Peanut Butter, Protein Shake, or a Vitatop!

JohnP
02-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Oatmeal :)

I second this. I flavor with cinnabun protein powder. Fills me up and tastes good.

MzJuicyD
02-14-2011, 03:36 PM
red apple slices!

travelinggirl
02-14-2011, 03:42 PM
dark chocolate covered acai berries are chock full of antioxidants and it taste amazing with only 160 cal for 1/4 cup ! :carrot:

starbrite
02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Crab sticks- yum !

Horo
02-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries.. or perhaps a peach, pear, nectarine, plum, whatever I have on hand.. or my all-time favorite snack, a sliced apple dipped in 1-2 tbsp natural peanut butter.

niafabo
02-14-2011, 04:02 PM
A Jennie O Turkey Sausage with Spicey Mustard. 163 calories which isn't that bad and very filling.

Oboegal
02-14-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm with aimeebell--I try to scratch the specific itch if I can figure out what it is.

If I'm hungry for volume, I'll eat a cup of peas or drink a bottle of water with Crystal Light.

If my mouth wants something sweet, but I think a small amount will do, I might eat a Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark Square for 70 calories.

If it's a combination of both, a fiber bar for 120-140 calories usually works.

Two things I have discovered lately:

(1) Logically, air-popped popcorn should be good for munchies, but it doesn't work for me the same way that rice cakes don't work for me. Even after popping a quarter cup unpopped into 2 or 3 quarts, I usually want more, then I still feel like eating more food after that. After going through 2 plastic bags eating few, huge portions, I've stopped buying it.

(2) If I'm hungry, I'm better off eating something than toughing it out, which sometimes leads to a mini-binge. If I just feel like eating, I can usually talk myself out of it.

GardenBurglar
02-14-2011, 05:50 PM
When I want something crunchy and salty I put some good mustard on low calorie rye crackers. I love rye crackers. Rye crackers with avocado is really good too. My favorite brand is ry krisp. Low cal and cheap! I also love hard boiled eggs, plus they keep me full.

If I want something sweet and cold I love frozen grapes. I eat them really slowly and the inside is sort of like sorbet.

Herbal tea that has licorice in it really helps sweet cravings.

When I want chocolate I eat one square of good dark chocolate and savor it.

GardenBurglar
02-14-2011, 05:53 PM
(1) Logically, air-popped popcorn should be good for munchies, but it doesn't work for me the same way that rice cakes don't work for me. Even after popping a quarter cup unpopped into 2 or 3 quarts, I usually want more, then I still feel like eating more food after that. After going through 2 plastic bags eating few, huge portions, I've stopped buying it.

I'm the same way. I feel like popcorn actually makes me hungrier! As if it sparks my appetite. A bit of popcorn to satisfy a crunch craving has been the beginning of many binges for me. I try to only eat things that I know will satisfy me.

marianne78
02-14-2011, 09:08 PM
When I want something salty, I go for crackers with cheese. When I want something sweet, I eat whatever fruit is available at home.

Larry H
02-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Radishes with a little salt. I can go through a whole bag and have less than 50 calories.

Larry,
--------------
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar013/slider-man2/lb/317/143/280/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

aimeebell
02-14-2011, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=GardenBurglar;3711602]If I want something sweet and cold I love frozen grapes. I eat them really slowly and the inside is sort of like sorbet. QUOTE]

I eat frozen grapes a lot in the summer. They are like little sugar balls of sorbet, sooooo yummy. I never think of them in the winter. Thanks for the reminder!

Niecy
02-14-2011, 09:55 PM
If it is to satisfy an un-full like feeling, I will have a glass of skim milk with a tablespoon of nestle or ovaltine or pop a bag of 100 calorie kettle corn.

If it's a sweet tooth, I might have half of a cold from the fridge hershey's dark chocolate bar for 90 cals. I have conquered the sweet tooth pretty much by allowing a Little Debbie petite cake or a Skinny Cow ice cream after dinner. Either of those are 100 cals.

I don't usually have salt cravings, I can't really remember the last time I wanted something salty.

Now that the weather is warming up, I'm sure more fruit will make a comeback in my diet and replace some of those days, for some reason during the fall and winter, I just don't care for it as much.

jessy 49
02-14-2011, 10:53 PM
... or my all-time favorite snack, a sliced apple dipped in 1-2 tbsp natural peanut butter.

Me too -- apple slices and natural pb! :)

luciddepths
02-14-2011, 11:00 PM
I don't have a healthy one! Ha ha my go to food is sugar free jello and whip cream in a can! Or the sugar free puddings. If it's for making me feel full, oat meal witha scoop of protein powder or cottage cheese with fruit!

synger
02-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Cream cheese. For some reason, one ounce of smooth, creamy slightly-salty loveliness melting on my tongue helps curbs cravings for both sweets and savories.

martinimouse
02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
When I crave chips and dip, I use pork rinds and a low carb dip.

When I crave something sweet, I make a low carb dessert or just whip some cream with S/F vanilla syrup.

Chocolate is the one thing I usually don't try to find a substitute for, I would rather have a single square of the quality kind than to eat something waxy and cheap. I recently discovered that Dove makes a wonderful S/F chocolate that is individually wrapped. Worked for me and tasted very good. At least I know I have an option.

For the most part, though, I just don't have the cravings anymore, haven't in nearly a year. About the only craving that I do not indulge in, but just won't seem to go away is super frosted cupcakes. Sigh. They make me sick when I have eaten them, what the lure is, I just don't know. lol

ArtyKay
02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Oatmeal's a good one. it's sweet, substantial, and filling.

A glass of water always helps me decide if I really want to snack or not. Sometimes it actually works and takes my cravings away.

But my absolute go to would have to be broccoli. Or a few walnuts is pretty good.

pinkbunnys18
02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
I love sweets. But I want to see if I can go 30 days without any. So now its slim fast shakes for the 'rich' taste. and home made dried fruit that has been working for me. however my mom does jello and puddings that are sugar free.

modegirl
02-15-2011, 11:40 PM
My go-to's are greek yogurt mixed with low sugar jam, Dr.McDougall's miso soup for a quick meal, arnold thins paired with various items, jello mousse temptations, etc...

chatterbox205
02-16-2011, 11:56 AM
What brand of chocolate flavored protein shake? I've been wanting to try one but I was afraid it would taste like chalk.

gagalu
02-16-2011, 03:10 PM
sugar free hot cocoa, chocolate yogurt whips, and oatmeal.

freaking life savers.

Redgrl
06-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I have two. Ginger tea, for 70, calories helps break the need to feed. It is both a hot drink that needs to be sipped, and it has a strong ginger flavor that can break the sweet/salty/whatevery feeling I'm having.

For when I really need to put something in my mouth, I have a Vitatop. One of the chocolate flavors for a sweet tooth or one of the others for anything else.

Fungramma
06-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Frozen black sweet cherries. You can have a big bowl full for around 100 calories. And it takes awhile to eat them so they're very satisfying, and by the time you get done you're full.

vrabbit
06-21-2011, 09:15 PM
I used to love cereal bars before I turned Vegan. Now soya flavoured yoghurt or weetabix. Yummy and low in calories! :D

mypinkpolkadot
06-21-2011, 09:48 PM
English muffin pizzas: pizza sauce, cheese, veggies, on a whole wheat fiber english muffin.. less than 200 calories, and filling!!

sweet: weight watcher english toffee crunch ice cream bars...100calories and so yummy.. i'm not even on weight watchers xD