Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #1  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Wine/martinis etc.

I really want to have a glass of wine or a martini for V-Day dinner. I used to drink wine almost every night with dinner. My last glass of wine was New Years and I'm reaaaaally wanting a glass but I'm afraid it will stall my weight loss. Anybody else like their wine and fit it into the calorie intake for the day? Does is mess you up as far as weight loss goes?
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

I do weight watchers and have wine or beer almost every day. Just 1 glass or one beer but it hasn't stalled my weight loss at all.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #3  
~*Dawn*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
I do weight watchers and have wine or beer almost every day. Just 1 glass or one beer but it hasn't stalled my weight loss at all.
Thank you! I have been know to finish off a bottle of wine after dinner so I think I'm doing pretty good in not having any in over a month. I'm really wanting some for V-Day so I'm going to go for it!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Just count the calories in wine as you would any other food. Dry wines tend to have fewer cals than sweet wines, but, really, it's not going to make much difference for a one-time, special event such as V-day.

You probably know this, but alcohol tolerance often goes way, way down when people are dieting. For me, even a month of restricting calories and no alcohol is enough to lower my tolerance to the point where 12 oz of beer (my drink of choice) makes me sleepy. A pint of a moderately high-alcohol beer will put me to sleep. An 8:30 pm bedtime may or may not be what you have in mind for your V-day celebration.

//b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #5  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

As long as you fit it into your calories you should be just fine! Enjoy!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #6  
~*Dawn*~

I already have a low tolerance for alcohol so I bet I'll feel it after 1 glass of wine. 2 glasses is just enough before putting me over the edge

I'm going to give it a go! Thanks ladies.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #7  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMNewman View Post
I already have a low tolerance for alcohol so I bet I'll feel it after 1 glass of wine. 2 glasses is just enough before putting me over the edge

I'm going to give it a go! Thanks ladies.
It will probably hit you hard! I gave up alcohol for the entire month of January, and I had a white russian on February 1st. Usually I could drink one and just feel a little buzz, but this time it killed me! I totally felt a really heavy buzz -- and fast. My body actually felt like it was hurting for some reason ~ I kept telling my husband "my muscles feel really sore!" ~ bizarre!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #8  
Reluctant Adult

I always gave up alcohol completely in my past attempts at weight loss. This time, I understood that if I was making a "lifestyle change," then the change would have to incorporate my actual lifestyle! For me, this meant a daily alcohol allowance of 1 glass of wine. (This is not different than what I drank before I started losing weight. My weight gain is attributable to the evil whites, desserts and portion size).

I have enjoyed a glass of wine almost each day since I began losing weight on this attempt. I simply count the calories and allow for that. It has not affected my weight loss to date. When my weight loss stalls, as it inevitably will, alcohol will be an easy thing to give up to nudge the scale in the right direction.

My only caveat to this approach is that if one glass makes you want to have two, then permitting yourself to have alcohol at all may not work well for you.

Enjoy the heck out of your V Day!!
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

Kaw is right. I used to be able to have a few drinks and now after half a glass (3 oz) of wine I am "goood" and completely water if I dare to have close to two glasses.

I count it and sacrifice something else during the weekends to fir it in and choose dry wine as it contains less sugar and calories.
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

You can cut your wine with seltzer and stretch it out a little further. Sounds gross... but it is actually QUITE tasty and refreshing. I have done it with both white and pink.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #11  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by raebeaR View Post
I always gave up alcohol completely in my past attempts at weight loss. This time, I understood that if I was making a "lifestyle change," then the change would have to incorporate my actual lifestyle! For me, this meant a daily alcohol allowance of 1 glass of wine. (This is not different than what I drank before I started losing weight. My weight gain is attributable to the evil whites, desserts and portion size).

I have enjoyed a glass of wine almost each day since I began losing weight on this attempt. I simply count the calories and allow for that. It has not affected my weight loss to date. When my weight loss stalls, as it inevitably will, alcohol will be an easy thing to give up to nudge the scale in the right direction.

My only caveat to this approach is that if one glass makes you want to have two, then permitting yourself to have alcohol at all may not work well for you.

Enjoy the heck out of your V Day!!
Actually alcohol consumption before a meal has been shown to lower the glycemic index of said meal, so your dreaded whites aren't so dreaded if you have a drink or two.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #12  
Reluctant Adult

Resolute... that's interesting!

I've always figured that something that occurs so readily in nature (fermentation) can't be all bad for the human body. There isn't a chance that the most prehistoric man didn't experience alcohol in some permutation.

I recently read the results of long-term studies that showed that, in comparing mortality rates between abstainers, moderate drinkers and hard-core alcoholics, even the hard-cores lived longer than the abstainers. The studies accounted for every kind of variable the researchers could think of: Smoking, hypertension, liver disease, cancer and many more. No matter how they sliced and diced the data, no matter what factors they added in or eliminated, people who drink -- even drink too much -- live longer than people who don't. Obviously the moderate drinkers lived longest of all.

I think that's kind of cool.
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #13  
~*Dawn*~

Well I was going to have some wine but now I'm back to debating lol My V-Day goal was/is 199 and I didn't think I would make it. When I woke up this morning I was at 200.4!!!! I think I can make my goal if I stay on track!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

If a glass of wine doesn't turn into 3, plus extra appetizers, some fried food, goldfish crackers when you get home, then ice cream from the freezer (do I sound experienced in this?), then a glass is a great way to celebrate. It's what a glass leads to that is bad news for me. I do great if I have a glass or two with dinner out (especially if we don't order bread), but opening a bottle at home? Oy.
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #15  
~*Dawn*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethesweatpants View Post
If a glass of wine doesn't turn into 3, plus extra appetizers, some fried food, goldfish crackers when you get home, then ice cream from the freezer (do I sound experienced in this?), then a glass is a great way to celebrate. It's what a glass leads to that is bad news for me. I do great if I have a glass or two with dinner out (especially if we don't order bread), but opening a bottle at home? Oy.

You just explained me to a T LOL I get th munchies when I drink so that's always a problem lol Maybe I'll have a martini and tell my husband to NOT let me have a second