Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/291/220

Height: 6'3.5

Default Body media vs. Body bugg

Which is better, the Body bugg or the one Body media puts out? I have read the reviews but I would like to see what the people on the forum here say?
Sandman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #2  
Sassy, Classy, & Badassey

S/C/G: 239/221.8/135-ish?

Height: 5'5

I debated back and forth over which device to get. Not only that, but also whether or not to get the one (from either BB or BM) that synced with smart phones. I ended up going with the BodyBugg SP (smart phone).

I absolutely love the BB, itself. But the iPhone application totally sucks. Also, the website BB lets you log your food on is just kind of bland and just not for me - I like bells and whistles and user-friendly-ness (that's totally not a word, but you get it!). All-in-all, I wish I would have gotten the Smart Phone version of the BMF (BodyMedia Fit). From what I researched, their website it better, their application is better and the BMF also logs your sleep efficiency.

I wanted the BMF in the first place, but I got my BB for $70 below retail with some smart couponing and waiting for a sale - and it also came with 10 free months of the online subscription.

Another thing to consider... If you're the kind of person who likes to see how much they've burned during a workout, I'd recommend the SP versions of either devices. It's nice to check while I'm at the gym how many calories I've burned and whether or not my workout is as effective as I think it is.

I could not say enough nice things about my BodyBugg. The device and what it does for me is amazing. But, honestly... I wish BodyMedia had offered the low price with the extended 10 month subscription because I would for sure have purchased that, instead. As a poor college student, I had to consider finances before what I truly wanted. Go with the BodyMedia Fit. The devices are pretty much identical - it's just about what fits with your wants and needs (and also, if you're like me, your budget!).

So... there you have it! I hope that was helpful. Just my two cents...
badassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #3  

I love my bodybugg but I HATE the section of the website where you log food. In my opinion they don't have much in their database and just the way you have to log it in general is a pain. I track my calories in a spreadsheet or on ************, which is WAY more user friendly than bodybugg's application. I use my digital display to see what I've burned so far. I haven't moved up to the iPhone app yet.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #4  
it's always something

I loved my Bodybugg when I first bought it. Then one day I couldn't log in and couldn't get hold of anyone to help me. Their phone number always went to voice mail and no one returned my calls. My email were not answered or they sent generic canned messages that didn't help. Then my membership expired and my bodybugg was packed away.

I doubt my experience was common. When it works, it works well
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

I have had success with my Bodybugg and I will continue to wear it even while on maintenance. I agree with the others that the Bodybugg software is the pits. If mine were to break, I would replace it with the Bodymedia as they have a better website/software. I have read many complaints about the SP version (smart phones) so while I do use an iPhone, I would not opt for that version until they work out the issues.

I use and highly recommend the digital display.

Last edited by Prism21; 02-11-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #6  
JayBird

I have the BodyMedia one. I got it back in Nov 2009 when it was called GoWearFit. I like the device (highly recommend getting the display wristband) but the customer service at BodyMedia is absolutely nonexistent. My verdict is that it's a good product until something goes wrong. I ended up cancelling my subscription but I do think I learned quite a bit in the year I used it.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #7  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I have had the bodybugg and after a year (ok most of the time it was in a drawer while I was lazy) it died. I don't know if my 2 year old got to it and introduced it to the toilet, but it died.

So I bought the Bodymedia Fit today at Costco for $150, with a 12 mo subscription. I love the user interface versus the BB's web interface. It's so much "prettier" than BB's! Now I need to see if I can get a display on the cheap cheap! I am anxious to see how it tracks the sleeping habits... Seems interesting to me. But so far I am happy, granted it's been less than 24 hrs. Lol.

Hope this helps!!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I loved my Bodybugg when I first bought it. Then one day I couldn't log in and couldn't get hold of anyone to help me. Their phone number always went to voice mail and no one returned my calls. My email were not answered or they sent generic canned messages that didn't help. Then my membership expired and my bodybugg was packed away.

I doubt my experience was common. When it works, it works well
I loved my BB (i had a grey one and did not use the digital display), I used it on and off for about a year. The 1st few months I used it, I did lose about 10lbs, which was amazing. I thought that it was really fun. It was a good tool to find out how many calories I was burning, how many steps a day I actually walk at work ect. What I did not like about it was wearing it in the summer when it is hot and sweaty, or wearing it when going out to dinner. A grey armband isnt the most flattering fashion accessory. But it was pretty accurate and you cant cheat it. I really hated that they did not support blackberry as i do not have a droid or iphone. they also needed a special java app to be installed or your BB can't work on that computer. I could not install java on my work computer so I could not log food in at work. ugh.

As for the BB customer service, they are really not the best. On the BB message boards there were always people complaining. I was paying month to month at the end of my BB year because I was not really working out as I should and I was getting tired of wearing the armband. I got charged for 4 months (4 separate charges instead of one big charge) when I only wanted 1. I called BB, had to leave a voice message. Then I emailed and did get the generic reply. I did get my 3 months of payment returned back to me, but it did take like a week. I had 2 different customer service reps contact me via phone and email even later after my refund and it did not seem like they really were in communication with each other. Like, a very disorganized company.

If I were to do this program again, which I will more likely then not, I think I would go with Body Media.

Last edited by blingfiend; 03-06-2011 at 04:54 PM.
blingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/213.8/125

Height: 5.2

I have the BB and I love it so far. I have the bodybugg SP and love being able to check my progress during the day. I challenge myself to wal more every day then i did the day before.
rshanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #10  
Yoyo Master

S/C/G: 182/175/130

Height: 5'5"

I purchased the BodyMedia (GoWearFit) over the BodyBugg and loved it.

After some time I had allergic reactions to the metal contact.

Today I use a Fitbit and I'm having a blast with that. I think it's quite accurate too.

You might check that out also. The Fitbit costs $100 and you do not have to pay a subscription. You can join the site without purchasing the fitbit and read the forums and all.

Just another option.
Alright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #11  

Does the fitbit do the same thing as the bodymedia or bb? I looked at their site, and seemed like it was more of an electronic pedometer sort of thing that tracks body movement.

Bugg or Media users, can you only wear it on your arm? Or can it go on your leg or something? I wear short sleeves at work, and I don't want people to see it.
trixiepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #12  

K, did my research, and the bodymedia needs to be worn on the left upper arm. Both BodyMedia and BodyBugg are made by the same company, though BM seems to have more functions and a better site. BodyBugg is through 24 hr fitness, and they made their own web interface. Costco has the BM for $200ish. JennyCraig is also selling the BM unit under a different name with their membership program.
trixiepup is offline   Reply With Quote