Weight Loss Support - I need carbs!

View Full Version : I need carbs!

girlonfire
02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I discovered something interesting about my body this week. I have been playing around with meals and trying to figure out what keeps me full the longest. I've tried huge salads with tons of protein- nope, I'm hungry in an hour. If I have an egg and turkey bacon, for example, for breakfast I get hungry really quickly too.

I came to the realization that without carbs, I get famished and fatigued and lose energy really quickly. All my carbs are whole-grain and brown though- no refined for me! A whole wheat bagel thin with some Tofutti cream cheese keeps me fairly full and one of my favorite meals is a baked potato with some tuna and low-fat cheese, with a small side salad. A small serving of whole-wheat pasta keeps me full for quite a long time! Eating lots of carbs helps keep cravings at bay as well.

Previous times I have successfully lost some amount of weight, I was eating lots of carbs everyday. In France, I ate bread with everything and breakfast was just pieces of bread. I find it fascinating that people are only successful when doing low-carb, while some (maybe fewer) people like me need carbs to survive. Isn't the body a funny thing? :dizzy:

niafabo
02-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Yeah it is kinda funny. So happy they are starting to teach people to build meal plans based on their metabolism type these days. I'm lucky I'm a mixed type I just have to eat a little bit of everything which makes things easy.

duckyyellowfeet
02-08-2011, 10:14 PM
For the record, I read this as "I need crabs"....and I couldn't figure out WHY you would be so desperate for crabs.

I need cARbs too. I'm impressed with people who can make do with mostly protein.

lackadaisy
02-09-2011, 12:50 AM
This is fascinating. I am definitely a carbs-favoring person... I've been trying so hard to shift to protein, but maybe I'll have to reevaluate. Whole-grain carbs definitely keep me full longer than other foods.

Nola Celeste
02-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Bodies are indeed fascinating things, aren't they?

When you look at different populations throughout the world today and see the kinds of physiological differences in how people process their food, it is absolutely astonishing that more scientists aren't researching how genetic makeup influences how an individual processes food. Sure, we're modern humans, but we carry the genetic information of an untold number of forebears. How many of them were lactose-intolerant, lived mainly on game, lived in an agrarian society that tolerated eating a lot of wheat or rice, ate fatty sea mammals, or supplemented their diets with a mixture of milk and blood?

A lot of folks here refer to "an experiment of one," and it's entirely true. One of the things I like so much about the forums here is that there's a lot of respect given (for the most part) for other people's different paths; low-carb or low-calorie or exchanges or points plus or whatever--it all works if you match the right body with the right plan, I'm convinced.

I'm with you on the carbs; I feel so much more sated with one little 2-ounce potato with my meal than I would if I just had an extra two ounces of vegetables and meat to make up the weight of the missing carby side. For me, the only key to remember for success is to make sure it's a 2-ounce potato and not a 2-pound potato. :D

marianne78
02-09-2011, 01:09 AM
The body is really a funny thing. It's nice that you're in tune with your body and you know what your body needs.

Deena52
02-09-2011, 09:40 AM
You do sound like one of those who can be very successful with calorie-counting......as compared to someone like, say......ME, who must use very strict low-carbing in order to lose weight.

But I wanted to add that it is the FAT in the low-carb diets (like Atkins, which *I* used)...that causes the fullness that lasts longer....much more than the protein.
And then to boot....if you are doing a diet like Atkins....with the very low carb/no simple carb (and that includes whole-grain bread and pasta and potatoes, not just sugary items)....you go into ketosis and the ketones seriously decrease your appetite.

But plain protein without the fat would probably not keep you full any longer than eating more carbs within a calorie range would.

You clearly have a very different metabolism than I have. And I'm not enough of an expert on the topic to know how things would work for you as opposed to me. But for me to lose weight.....it has to be severely restricted carbs (mainly coming from green veggies) but relatively high FAT. But if I were to eat the same amount of fat but add some potatoes or whole grain breads....I would start gaining weight. For me, the calories in the fat are inconsequential as long as I severely restrict the carbs. BUT if I add more carbs back in, suddenly the fat calories are a huge deal and will cause me to gain.

Now that is for me to lose weight. To maintain, I only add back in nuts, fruits and beans. I still do not eat any sort of potatoes or whole-grain anything. Mainly because they are in a category of carbs (that also includes anything sugary/sweet) that can trigger sweet/binge cravings for me....and increase my hunger...which is the last thing I want or need.

I am truly amazed and impressed by those of you who have great success with calorie-counting. I don't even know how the heck you do it. For me, not only does it not work (no weight loss whatsoever) but I was constantly hungry, ravenous in the evening, and had cravings to binge. Ergo...I don't know how the heck you guys do it this way.

deena :)

Quillie
02-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Oh god, tofutti cream cheese!!!!!! I was salivating thinking about it the other day! I haven't had it in so long, but it's so hard to find a store that carries them.
I should go back to being vegan, I'm a terrible cook, but when I was vegan every meal was delicious. (not necessarily healthy though *g*)

stellarosa27
02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Right there with you, girl. I can't live without carbs. Like actually cannot function.

:)

XLMuffnTop
02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
For me, I have to restrict (not eliminate) carbs and of course omit simple starches.

I've been slightly off plan lately due to a brief stay in the hospital and inability to spend time in the kitchen on meal prep so I've had slightly more carbs than normal. Even though they're whole grain breads, pastas, etc. I've found my cravings are intense. Last night I would have given my right arm for a cheeseburger. (Luckily the weather sucked too bad to leave the house).

When on plan, I have a decent amount of lean protein, tons of veggies and a limited amount of complex carbs. So far it seems to be the best plan for me; my sister also lost her baby weight and maintains on a restricted carb diet. Darn genetics.

lora m
02-09-2011, 01:00 PM
I have never tried a high protein diet so can't compare, but I seem to do fine with carbs both for weight loss and maintenance. My plan is the older UK version of WW which is based upon cals/sat fat. I try to stick to wholegrains where possible.

AZ Sunrises
02-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh how I love carbs. Pastas, breads, potatoes...and I can't lose a darn thing if I eat them. :( I genuinely envy you.

girlonfire
02-09-2011, 03:56 PM
The crappy refined carbs are definitely a binge trigger. The whole-grain, full of fiber kind are not. Without those carbs, I am definitely doomed for diet failure. I am constantly ravenous.

I'm glad there are other carb-fiends! So many of the posts I read here are all about limiting carbs and I'm all about the carbs!

Lauren201
02-09-2011, 03:59 PM
I love carbs, not sure if I actually need them. LOL

Magrat
02-13-2011, 03:30 PM
It is the FAT in the low-carb diets (like Atkins, which *I* used)...that causes the fullness that lasts longer....much more than the protein.
And then to boot....if you are doing a diet like Atkins....with the very low carb/no simple carb (and that includes whole-grain bread and pasta and potatoes, not just sugary items)....you go into ketosis and the ketones seriously decrease your appetite.

But plain protein without the fat would probably not keep you full any longer than eating more carbs within a calorie range would.

For me to lose weight.....it has to be severely restricted carbs (mainly coming from green veggies) but relatively high FAT. But if I were to eat the same amount of fat but add some potatoes or whole grain breads....I would start gaining weight. For me, the calories in the fat are inconsequential as long as I severely restrict the carbs. BUT if I add more carbs back in, suddenly the fat calories are a huge deal and will cause me to gain.

I am truly amazed and impressed by those of you who have great success with calorie-counting. I don't even know how the heck you do it. For me, not only does it not work (no weight loss whatsoever) but I was constantly hungry, ravenous in the evening, and had cravings to binge. Ergo...I don't know how the heck you guys do it this way.

deena :)

I'm impressed by you because I cannot do low carb. It's not so much that I personally need carbs to feel full. Actually if I eat a carb heavy meal such as cold cereal with skim milk and fruit, I'm ravenously hungry within the hour, feeling almost like I'd eaten nothing. To feel full I need a combination of carbs and protein. I wish I could do low carb. The idea of a no-hunger way of eating that provides relatively fast and consistent weight loss sounds like a dream come true. I believe my journey would have been long since over and I would be in my second or even third year of happy maintainance if I could have done a low carb diet.

Why can't I do low carb? It's simple, with few exceptions, I don't like fat, never have. I don't like the taste, the texture or the greasy feel it leaves behind. When I've tried to do low carb my diet has usually resembled the old
Stillman water diet which is nothing but lean protein and water. After two or three days of eating boiled egg whites for breakfast, a can of water packed tuna for lunch and a plain baked chicken breast for supper I would get so nauseated sick and dizzy (like a bad case of flu combined with a bad hangover) that I'd have to stop.

So I'm condemned to a semi-starvation diet that is taking forever to get the weight off.

Aclai4067
02-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I cut my carbs for 2 weeks to try to get a weight loss boost. I felt aweful, I didn't have enough energy in my workouts, and I didn't lose any faster.

Katydid77
02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
I have lost weight every way in the world, but I learned a long time ago, that very low carb/no carb is NOT the plan for me.

Sure, I can lose weight on it, but I am totally miserable the whole time. I would rather be fat than deal with that daily for the rest of my life, and I mean that whole-heartedly.

I am careful to keep my diet heavy with good proteins and fresh veggies, but it's important for me to keep carbs in there. I feel better and can face the self-imposed denial without any extreme emotional falterings.

I can face 1200 calories a day with some carbs MUCH easier than I could 3000 calories per day with no carbs. :D

stacygee
02-13-2011, 03:54 PM
The bodies are funny. Everyone needs to figure out what works for them... if I eat carbs like pasta, bread, potatoes, rice... I will only gain weight.

stacygee
02-13-2011, 03:55 PM
PS- at first I missed those things but I no longer miss them and can totally see myself living without them... aside from the occasional pizza, haburger and tortilla.

bonnnie
02-14-2011, 01:24 AM
I'm not impressed with people that can eat low-carb, our bodies simply are not made to digest SO much protein. Especially if you actively engage in any sort of intense sport, eating low-carb kills your energy. I do believe a pre-requisite for low-carb dieting is that the person must be somewhat sedentary. Then, I think they have energy to do their daily activities.

That being said, I wouldn't disagree with someone for choosing to eat a low-carb dinner.... It is simply when one eats a protein filled meal 3 times a day. I find that low-carb position just as extreme as a person saying they are on a "low-vegetable diet" or something silly like that.

OhMyDogs
02-14-2011, 01:34 AM
I guess I see the fact that Insulin Resistance and Diabetes can both be better controlled with lower carb diets mother nature's way of saying that some people do indeed need to be low carb.

I can't manage to go low carb, I find myself STARVING if I cut my carbs too short, but I certainly don't dismiss it, nor find it overly extreme.

kaplods
02-14-2011, 02:13 AM
I'm not impressed with people that can eat low-carb, our bodies simply are not made to digest SO much protein. Especially if you actively engage in any sort of intense sport, eating low-carb kills your energy. I do believe a pre-requisite for low-carb dieting is that the person must be somewhat sedentary. Then, I think they have energy to do their daily activities.

That being said, I wouldn't disagree with someone for choosing to eat a low-carb dinner.... It is simply when one eats a protein filled meal 3 times a day. I find that low-carb position just as extreme as a person saying they are on a "low-vegetable diet" or something silly like that.

Most people don't understand low-carb. Very few low-cab diets are as high in protein or as low in carbs as you're implying. Even Atkins isn't so low, except during Induction (I do have low energy and other weird symptoms on induction-level, which is why I don't reduce carbs to induction-level).

There is no set definition for low-carb, and that's probably part of the problem. By one definition, any plan that contains less than 50% calories from fat or less than 200g of carb per day is low-carb, another definition is less than 40% or less than 100g, and even low-carber's themselves often squabble over the definition.

In both Atkins and Southbeach, and in most low-carb diets you begin adding carbs almost immediately. Atkins has you adding 5g each day of carbohydrates per week until you reach the point your stop losing (this could be 80g, or it could be 400g. Then you back off 5 to 10g so that you lose at a slow, but steady rate. People tend to forget or ignore this part of Atkins and assume it's the eat until you're gorged, prime-rib and bacon diet.

I was just as ignorant of low-carb diets when my doctor suggested I try low-carb for my IR. I thought he was nuts, because of what I thought I knew about low-carb.

I eat less meat and more vegetables on low-carb than I did on standard diets. Mostly because I was so hungry on high-carb diets that I ate more of everything. I was constantly hungry, and eating more only made me hungrier.

Most low-carbers who stick with it, eat plenty of carbs, they're just very choosy about where their carbs come from, making sure they come from sources that digest slowly and affect blood sugar slowly and gradually.

I'm surprised at how low-carb I do have to eat in order to lose weight. I use an exchange plan and have reduced starch exchanges (80 calories each) to 1 or 2, and fruit exchanges (70 calories) to 3-4 per day, and I don't limit nonstarchy veggies at all (usually I eat about 5 to 6 servings). This is higher than Atkins induction, but it's lower than many people on Atkins are eating a few months into OWL (the stage where you gradually add back carby foods. I'm not on Atkins, but it's the LC diet most people are familiar with, so I used it as a reference point).

I use an exchange plan because it helped (and helps) me compare the difference between different food plans. Comparing 1800 calories of high-carb and 1800 calories of low-carb, I learned that to lose weight on high carb, I have to cut my calories by about 500 more than if I choose low-carb.

Essentially to lose the same amount of weight I can eat 1300 calories of high-carb (and feel starved and have more flares of my skin and pain issues) or I can eat 1800 calories of much lower carb.

JohnP
02-14-2011, 02:38 AM
Essentially to lose the same amount of weight I can eat 1300 calories of high-carb (and feel starved and have more flares of my skin and pain issues) or I can eat 1800 calories of much lower carb.

Sounds like you are both insulin insensative and gluten intolerant. Glad to hear you've found a dietary plan that works!

bonnnie
02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Kaplods - I agree with JohnP. I'm glad you've found the diet that has worked for you and I hope anyone else who has the similar problems that you do benefits from your post.

I may have over-generalized to make a stronger point, but this is one topic that I am quite informed of. I am not ignorant of low-carb diets. But, even in my post, I conceded that, for example, a low-carb dinner could be a good idea - as many athletes use this approach to make it to their goal weight.

But, in all do respect, for women who do not have problems with their insulin and are not gluten intolerant - but feel the need to go on a low-carb diet because they here that celebrities have stopped eating carbs, or because many examples such as yourself on this forum are promoting it - those are the 'types' of people I was addressing. Next time I input my opinion, I will try to be mindful of others suffering from PCOS, etc., that is only fair, and include their exceptional position in my post.

For women like me, this low-carb mentality often leads to yo-yo dieting - trying to cut carbs, then 'failing'. There is also the issue of those who are not able to afford wholesome organic animal products loading up on antibiotics and hormones - and missing out on important vitamins and minerals that are often associated with carbs as well.

These are dangers that you have certainly thought through - but not everyone has or will. A lot of people in this forum are quite young. I have a strong personal conviction that a lot of us need to learn how to handle a moderate amount of carbs, instead of spending our life trying to avoid them or having negative thoughts about them.

nelie
02-14-2011, 10:22 AM
I do high carb myself but I can't do refined carbs very well. 60-70% of my diet is carbs but again, minimally processed, etc. I can't do bagels, not even whole wheat ones. Beans, rice, fruit, veggies, etc are fine. I think this is due to my PCOS.

Also, insulin resistance/diabetes does not require a low carb diet. I think refined carbs are really the issue, from my experience. Also there is an interesting book called "Dr Barnard's diet for reversing diabetes". It is a high carb diet which Dr Barnard has used to reverse diabetes in many patients and control diabetes in others.

mkendrick
02-14-2011, 10:53 AM
When I started my "plan," it was all very basic. I changed one simple thing at a time. At first I was just "cutting back." Then I had a had a very rudimentary calorie counting system. Eventually I plateaued and had to get better at calorie counting. Then I started exercising more.

Point being, I only changed things as I needed to, and I never changed it if it was working for me. Eating a high-carb diet works for me. I never felt the need to cut them out.

Like you, I only feel full and satisfied if I eat carbs. And this is such a personal thing because everyone's body is so different. I'm satisfied for hours after eating a bowl of oatmeal, but I have read several times on here that people can eat oatmeal and be hungry 10 minutes later. But I eat a lot of oatmeal, a lot of popcorn, a lot of sandwiches (on low-cal bread), potatoes, etc. I don't seek out the highest carb meals or anything, I just eat what I like and what I know will fill me up. I know that a bowl of popcorn will be more satisfying than a cup of yogurt. The carbs that I eat are complex (oats, popcorn kernels, whole grain flour, starchy colorful veggies, etc).

The trick to this whole thing is sifting through all the information, advice, expert opinion, and personal anecdote to find exactly what makes our minds and bodies healthy and support our weight loss (or maintenance). If high carb is working for you, go with it! Enjoy it!

moonkissed
02-14-2011, 11:40 AM
It is sooo nice to see a carb loving thread when so many people seem to beat up on them :carrot:

I don't think life would be worth living without carbs :love: Like every single one of my favorite foods is carb heavy lol.

I will say that I do notice a huge change with whole grains vs refined.

But it does bug me when people act like carbs are evil. I think they play an important role and the key is balance. and what about fiber? Plus the whole Ketosis thing freaks me out and seems weird. But I will say to each their own.

I wonder though what people consider low carb?

I have PCOS & Diabetes my doctor put me on a diet where I can eat up to 200 carbs a day. Though I am usually around 150-180.

I would not consider that low carb at all lol. (Well low carb compared to how I would eat off plan perhaps lmao)

beerab
02-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Every single one of us is different- for me going over 40% carbs = weight gain. But ven 40% carbs is a decent amount of carbs- I usually get about 100 grams of carbs a day and am able to lose weight that way. For some people who eat over 200 grams a day they'd think I barely eat any carbs but I do. Most of them come from veggies- but I still enjoy bread and pasta now and then- not on a daily basis like before but probably 1-2 times a week. I find over time the snacks I crave are not something like a pb and J sandwich but a cup of cauliflower with a bit of ranch dressing OR some celery with peanut butter, etc. :)

I don't agree with too much carb restriction- for the life of me I can't figure out how to get under 50 grams of carbs a day without getting bored- but more power to the people who can do it!

nelie
02-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Sounds like you are both insulin insensative and gluten intolerant. Glad to hear you've found a dietary plan that works!

I'm not sure how you would come to that conclusion since I know people who are gluten intolerant and eat a high carb diet. You can definitely eat a high carb diet without gluten.

JohnP
02-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure how you would come to that conclusion since I know people who are gluten intolerant and eat a high carb diet. You can definitely eat a high carb diet without gluten.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I don't understand the difference between eating carbs and eating gluten? :D

My response was for the person I responded to and only her based on the context of her post.:cool:

oodlesofnoodles
02-14-2011, 12:59 PM
That's really cool how you did that. Very interesting. Taking the time to figure out what keeps you satiated is really awesome... I think it will make you a more successful loser in the long run. It's like you did a little experiment with your own body!

I'm kind of curious about myself now, I think I might try that this week... oatmeal for a few days and chart my hunger, and then hard boiled eggs and yogurt and do the same.

nelie
02-14-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I don't understand the difference between eating carbs and eating gluten? :D

My response was for the person I responded to and only her based on the context of her post.:cool:

I was referring to the part you quoted only, it sounded like you came to the conclusion that high carb == gluten. I know a lot of people think of pasta, bread, etc when they think of high carb which is not always the case.

Monkeysocks
02-14-2011, 01:40 PM
I read a great article awhile ago that said that the old advice of "just eat less and exercise more" was totally baloney as a one size fits all weight loss program. With my insulin resistance eating carbs, even whole grains=hunger. I envy those who can lose weight that way.

The same article said they are working to be able to figure out a way to test folks to see if calorie reduction or carb reduction works better for their body type. I wish there had been an easier way to find out that before spending all my time on low calorie plans that didn't work and made me feel like a failure!

Sindaena
02-14-2011, 01:43 PM
... our bodies simply are not made to digest SO much protein.

I don't think this is true. The FDA guidelines are seriously behind the research on adult protein needs. See this article (http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/6/1/12), for example.

Extremely low carb isn't for me, but I worry more about hitting my protein and fat targets, then fill in with carbs to my calorie target. I do make sure I get my carbs early in the day before evening runs, as it makes more energy, but to hit all my calorie and macro targets I am generally at or below 100 carbs per day total. So, it;s all in what you are definign as "low carb" and "high protein."

pnkrckpixikat
02-14-2011, 01:47 PM
So, the nutritionist at my gym was saying he would put me on a high protein lower carb meal plan to limit loss of muscle. but of course to get the actual plan requires me to pay for it and screw that, im willing to play around with my snacks and meals to create a different balance but i dont know what kind of nuumbers to aim for on each... Any suggestions?

MissSMcC
02-14-2011, 01:49 PM
i definatley need carbs to feel full, at lunch i had a big plate of veggies and some plain baked chicken breast with salt and pepper. about an hour later i was hungry again, so i had a slice of weight watchers wholemeal bread which kept me feeling satisfied for longer than the chicken and veg!

Sindaena
02-14-2011, 02:03 PM
So, the nutritionist at my gym was saying he would put me on a high protein lower carb meal plan to limit loss of muscle. but of course to get the actual plan requires me to pay for it and screw that, im willing to play around with my snacks and meals to create a different balance but i dont know what kind of numbers to aim for on each... Any suggestions?

Well, the research I cited above suggests at least 1.2 grams protein per kg of bodyweight, ideally consumed in >=30 grams in at least 2 of your meals (the amount at one time appears to matter, depending upon age.) Protein needs are proportional to bodyweight (or at least lean body mass) not to the total caloric intake of your diet. From there you an play with fat and carb numbers to suit yourself, keeping in mind that healthy fats are import to healthy skin and hair as well as hormone balance.

beerab
02-14-2011, 02:40 PM
So, the nutritionist at my gym was saying he would put me on a high protein lower carb meal plan to limit loss of muscle. but of course to get the actual plan requires me to pay for it and screw that, im willing to play around with my snacks and meals to create a different balance but i dont know what kind of nuumbers to aim for on each... Any suggestions?

Not sure what you are aiming for but I eat over 100 grams of protein a day.

Simple ways to add more protein are to just eat more protein options during the day.

IE

Breakfast: Omelette with peppers, spinach, onion, and feta cheese.
Lunch: Large salad (2 cups romaine) with tomato, onion, 6 oz of chicken, ranch dressing
Dinner: Grilled steak (5 oz) with 1.5 cups of asparagus

I don't eat a lot of carbs btw- most come from my veggies. But you can easily add like a dinner roll with that dinner or some pasta, etc. :)

The other day I had 7 oz of shrimp with 2 cups of cauliflower and broccoli sprinkled with parmesan and that meal alone was 50 grams of protein :)

pnkrckpixikat
02-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Wow, i think ive been averaging about 70 grams of protien a day... Yikes, ill definately kick it up a bit

nelie
02-14-2011, 09:51 PM
I eat anywhere between 50 to 100 grams of protein per day and that, from all indications, is plenty. The current protein guidelines were based on the extensive studies of the World Health Organization over decades and they were most recently updated. I know the RDA was also recently updated. Also the original recommendations were based on weight/size so the average man was recommended to get around 53g of protein/day and the average woman was recommended to get slightly less than that. The recent updates based on latest research haven't changed those recommendations very much.

walking2lose
02-14-2011, 09:51 PM
i definatley need carbs to feel full, at lunch i had a big plate of veggies and some plain baked chicken breast with salt and pepper. about an hour later i was hungry again, so i had a slice of weight watchers wholemeal bread which kept me feeling satisfied for longer than the chicken and veg!

Did you have any healthy fats -- avocado or olive oil, for example -- or just the chicken and vegetables? Fats are satiating and keep you full.

beerab
02-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Wow, i think ive been averaging about 70 grams of protien a day... Yikes, ill definately kick it up a bit

Everyone is different but I just looked at my sparkpeople page and all I've had is breakfast and lunch and I'm already at 70 grams of protein lol.

I like protein though- I am a huge vegetable eater but also a big meat eater as well- south beach diet is great for me this way :) I do enjoy carbs as well but very sparingly- usually 80-100 grams of carbs a day is my carb intake.