Weight Loss Support - I just can't get motivated to exercise.

Linsy
02-08-2011, 09:13 PM
I've lost 50 pounds without any exercise. I could probably continue to lose at this rate even without it, but I think it's about time I start thinking about adding it in. I'm very out of shape. Even when I was thinner I couldn't run more than 10 seconds without being winded and it definitely hasn't gotten any better since I gained 100 pounds.

I just wish I could find something I'm excited about doing. Leslie Sansone videos are a snoozefest, but Beachbody leaves me feeling like I'm going to keel over 10 minutes into the video. Walking outside is boring and to be honest I feel a little bit embarrassed walking in front of everyone...kinda like "oh look at the fat girl walking to get in her exercise in." I know I shouldn't care about what other people think and getting healthy is nothing to be embarrassed of but I can't help it.

I'm on kind of a budget, too. I can afford some small cheap weights and a video or two but nothing like a treadmill or a gym membership. It sounds like I'm being picky but I really just want something to give me that push to get into it.

niafabo
02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I suggest trying yoga, pilates, dance videos, or even simply lifting weights. If your embarassed to walk outside and your really out of shape there are plenty of easy walking videos out there that'll help get you moving. Just do something that has a lot of benefits but isn't back breaking work. After awhile your stamina and energy will increase and then you'll be able to add more things to your routine.

Nola Celeste
02-08-2011, 09:47 PM
I always felt that exercise for its own sake was pointless. If I was walking, I wanted to be walking TO somewhere. If I was dancing, it was because dancing was fun, not because I was exercising.

Although I now look forward to exercise for its own sake (who'd'a thunk it!? :) ), I still like "exercise" that has immediate, tangible benefits.

Maybe you'd benefit from exercise that does something concrete, too. Are you close enough to walk somewhere interesting to visit--a store, movie theatre, park, museum? The walk might be your exercise, but your immediate reward is the cool place you're visiting.

A lot of excellent exercise isn't officially exercise. Sweep and mop your floors, vacuum your carpet, repaint a room, prepare your garden for spring planting, get leaves out of the gutters, see how many rhymes you can remember from your childhood rope-jumping days, dance to stuff you loved a few years ago, reorganize your closet, reorganize your pantry, reorganize your bookshelves, walk your dog, clean your fridge.

Studies have shown that people who add non-exercise activities like those to their daily lives lose weight more easily and keep it off better than those who don't. It makes sense: the half-hour you get on the treadmill or whatever is nice, but it's even better when you combine it with another few hours or so of unofficial exercise each day.

The more you make yourself move--and move at a good, sweat-breaking clip--the more you'll find motivation to move. That's when you might decide, "Hey, I'm feeling bored and fidgety, think I'll go for a walk." And if it doesn't have that effect on you, well...you'll still wind up with a gorgeously clean, organized home. :D

newbieblogger3
02-08-2011, 09:50 PM
How about something fun and offered for free( or a small fee) at local community colleges - like Line Dancing or Ballroom dancing or yoga or swimming-check out the schools in your area for these courses.

If it isn't fun or interesting, it's hard to stay committed -so hopefully you can find something you'll benefit from AND enjoy. Good Luck- L.

krampus
02-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Walking outside doesn't have to be boring if you do it with a buddy. Is there anyone around who would walk with you? An hour passes really quickly when you're wrapped up in a good chat. Even if you just call someone on the phone and talk to them while you walk, it will help the time.

Also with exercise DVDs and whatnot, yoga/pilates might be good to look into. Small weights are good to have around, and you can do easy body weight things like crunches or leg lifts anywhere.

Cleaning/doing housework also counts :)

berryblondeboys
02-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Do you have a game system? Like Wii or something that works with Dance Dance Revolution Pad? If so, there is a game called "walk it out". You have to walk to a beat, earn songs, and build the island one thing at a time. I've been doing it for a 5 weeks, I'm still not finished and I'm getting a lot stronger. A lot of women like it and there's a facebook page for it to help if you get stuck and needs hints. You can set it to easy, normal, hard and really hard, and so on. It's simply walking in place, but it's a game at the same time.

shcirerf
02-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Do you have a friend or neighbor who needs a dog walked? Taking a dog for a walk gives you exercise and a purpose. It's fun, they get exercise, you get a work out and you can talk to them and well, they are great to talk to, because they are just having a good time, and don't judge! You can tell them anything and they're like, "cool", keep moving, this is a good time!

Linsy
02-09-2011, 12:28 AM
There is one thing that interests me...running. Not running in races or anything, but I'd like to just be able to go outside and run miles. I know I need to get my stamina up before I can run long distances, but how do you get your stamina up? Doing cardio? Could I do something like run-walk-run? I know this doesn't exactly help my not wanting to go outside problem but I'd really like to be able to run.

Nola Celeste
02-09-2011, 12:51 AM
My husband's doing the couch-to-5K program, often abbreviated C25K around here. He downloaded an app for his Android phone and just...gets on out there. I can tell you for a fact it's working wonders on him--he looks fantastic. I don't have the knees or the boobs for running, but if you want to run, C25K programs are a great place to start.

I found the info on it for him just by Googling, though I'm sure there are plenty of C25K runners on the boards here who could give you more information.

And I think it might help the not wanting to go outside thing, too. When you're working on a particular program with a set series of pace changes, you're focusing on what you're doing, not on boredom or embarrassment.

Linsy
02-09-2011, 01:01 AM
What app is it? I have an iPhone so I'm sure there's probably the same app or a similar one. I'm going to google the c25k thing. Thank you!

milmin2043
02-09-2011, 01:11 AM
Hi Linsy,
I did the C25K program. I loved it. You can find the info and iphone app here: http://www.c25k.com/

Good luck with the running! You can do it!

Linsy
02-09-2011, 01:16 AM
You don't think it would be too much for me? I know it says couch to 5k, but I think my definition of couch is pretty extreme. I've been almost totally sedentary for years...actually pretty much my whole life! I used to walk around a lot when I was 13 or 14 but that's about it.

Did you have great success with it? Were you able to run the 3 miles in 2 months?

Nola Celeste
02-09-2011, 01:18 AM
I'd have to unearth his phone to find it, but it took him no time at all to find. He loves it, though, and I think he's on week three now. Should be incredibly easy to find an iPhone app for it that'll ding when you're supposed to shift gears and such. :)

As for embarrassment while being out, I have a pair of leggings that are chocolate-brown with pink and fuchsia polka dots on them. Some of the dots have bunny silhouettes. I got them at Goodwill for a dollar because even Goodwill didn't want to put a premium price on them. I love these ugly things irrationally; they must remind me of a favorite childhood toy or something, I don't know. Anyway, I wear them when I walk because they make ME feel fun and happy, so I don't give a **** what someone who sees them thinks.

I've already decided that if anyone gives me guff about my beloved hideous pants, I'll tell them that my husband has a clown fetish and thinks they're super-hot. :D

krampus
02-09-2011, 01:20 AM
The thing with C25K is that not everyone works at the same pace. I've never been truly sedentary and it took me longer than 2 months to run 5k. I did it eventually on my own timing. You might do well to go for walks for a couple weeks before starting running, because you will probably feel like you're going to die that first time with the running.

Linsy
02-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My average day is just sitting around on the computer doing nothing. I'm young and don't have any health problems that I know of or even anything that would stop me from exercising except my laziness and how tired I get so quickly. I think I'll try the C25K program and if it takes longer then so be it. I'll go at my own pace.

The thing with me is I don't think I like anything to be open ended. I need a goal to work toward. I need my goal weight so I can see how much closer I'm getting. Maybe if I do the program and notice my stamina gradually increasing and it will give me some motivation and something to work toward.

milmin2043
02-09-2011, 01:29 AM
I agree with Krampus here. Make sure that you don't overdo it in the beginning and wind up with shin splints or other misc. leg injuries. Nothing will siderail a running plan like an injury.

I had great success with the program. I am currently training to run a full marathon in Dec. 11

I couldn't even run a full 30 seconds when I first started, but the high I get from running spurred me on to keep going. There is an endorphin rush like nothing else.

I am like you in that other types of exercise bore me to tears. If you feel overwhelmed by the program, you can always repeat a week. There is no race. Do what's comfortable and push yourself a little. You will surprise yourself. Please let us all know how you are doing with it. There is a running thread here that would love to have you post your progress.

fromthebox
02-09-2011, 01:38 AM
C25K is great, and you can do it outside rather than in the gym. I would recommend that, but if it feels intimidating at first, start by walking 20 min every day. When I walk I forget about everyone else, it's my me time. I put on my iPod with my "jams" and just go. I usually end up singing along and making hand gestures/dancing. I like to think that rather than thinking "oh look at the fat girl walking for exercise" they're thinking "Wow, she's having FUN" and I am. There is a C25K app that lets you listen to your tunes and breaks in to tell you when to rev it up or down too.

I think it will take me longer than 2 months to get to 5k, but that it is largely a mental thing. I started out extremely sedentary as well, then my walking and that made the first two weeks of C25K go really well. Week 3, my body was willing but my mind kept freaking about the 3 solid minutes of jogging. So far, I'm on my second week 3, and it will probably take me 2wks of #4 to build up. I'm not stressing, 'cause it is still an excellent workout and eventually, I'll get there. I don't have a need to be able to in 10 weeks, just ...someday.

As to budget, all you need are good shoes and a place to walk. If you want, invest in a couple of dumbells and start working with those. I know Jillian's 30 day shred video uses 3lbs or 5lbs if you want them and a lot of people have good results with her program. I bought a few sets at the thrift store/play it again. I have 3lbs, 6lbs, 12lbs and 15lbs right now. I've probably spent $70 over the year I've been working out, and $20 was for the yoga mat lol. I had to get the 15s because I outgrew the 12s. I can do all my weight work with these, a stability ball and my stairs (not all of those at once lol!) My arms love me for it. So does my core.

Good luck! Remember, the people who judge you for walking don't matter. Wouldn't it be better to start now and be the hot chick who walks for exercise/goes running past next year than where you are now?

astrophe
02-09-2011, 01:42 AM
I haven't done C25K.

If you like the schedule thing, build up. I've done many running schedules as a walker.

I did Galloway (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html)a few times as a walker. Later I used his for jogging on an elliptical. I still cannot do jogging on then ground (knees) but I could do it on the machine.

I even did some 5ks and half marathons as a walker before I ever got to the jogging level though. I'd used Mark Fenton's walker schedule for marathon (http://www.pbs.org/americaswalking/health/health18week.html), then actually only did a half-marathon when it had come out in walking magazine. I'm glad it is still online somewhere. I was well prepared for my Disney race. :)

Higdon (http://www.halhigdon.com/) is another with good schedules, and then there's the schedules at cool running besides the Couch to 5 K thing.

HTH!
A.

fromthebox
02-09-2011, 01:51 AM
The thing with me is I don't think I like anything to be open ended. I need a goal to work toward. I need my goal weight so I can see how much closer I'm getting. Maybe if I do the program and notice my stamina gradually increasing and it will give me some motivation and something to work toward.

Set some mini-goals if you need something to work toward. Then reward yourself when you hit them to remember why you're doing this. Also, when I started running it felt SO good that was motivation alone. I think it kept me going because I could see and feel the changes in my body as well.

astrophe
02-09-2011, 02:02 AM
I need to complete things too. I can't have open ended exercise.

That's why I like schedules or earning PALA (http://www.presidentschallenge.org/) or virtual web walking routes or...

Helps break it up into chunks with clear start/stop times.

A.

Linsy
02-09-2011, 04:27 AM
I think I'm going to start the C25K tomorrow. There's only one problem. I'm going to go on vacation on March 1st and I don't know if I'll be able to run then. It'll be for 2 weeks. I'll be in a place where I'm not familiar with the neighborhood and knowing me I'll probably get lost. There also might be ice or snow on the sidewalk and I don't want to risk falling. Would it be okay to take a 2 week break and then start where I left off?

fromthebox
02-09-2011, 05:12 AM
I took a 1wk break and was fine. As I said before, there is nothing forcing you to 10 weeks. Have fun on vacation, where are you going that it's icy? Isn't vacation for getting away from snow? If you can handle the monotony, walk around the block you're on.

Linsy
02-09-2011, 06:20 AM
I'm going to Pennsylvania. I was there in late December, too, and it was so cold! The weather is definitely a lot different than I'm used to here in California. A close friend lives there so I go to visit. I'm not sure how cold it will be in March but it probably won't be as bad as it was in December. I'm sure there are little ways I could get exercise in, like walking up and down the street during the day while my friend is at work if it's warm enough. I'm not sure if I'd want to continue doing the program or take a break so I guess I'll see when I get there.

Shmead
02-09-2011, 07:43 AM
For me, I had to learn how to exercise. I started out so, so slowly--like, 5 minutes of exercise twice a day. I basically said "what's the most I can do without dreading it?" and did that much. But that was a great start because it 1) started me forming the habit of exercise, that it was just something I did every day and 2) started me learning how to amuse myself while exercising: I had to learn how to get in a head space that wasn't constantly going "god I hate this when can I stop this is awful this sucks please time pass I hate this so much". Exercise had always been painfully boring, but by building up slowly, that went away.

berryblondeboys
02-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Years ago, like MANY years ago, I belong to a fitness group that was devoted to aerobic, strength, yoga videos. I can't recall what it was, but it was a fitness videos site. Everyone had little banners or cute pictures to associate with themselves. I made one up (as I was a newer member and not as fit as these fitness gurus) and I called myself a Fitness Fledgling and had an image of a gangly bird hatching from an egg.

I remember this recently as I started up exercising again, and decided to create some image for my blog. I found a couple graphics that worked and created my logo.

I share this with you, because it fits this topic - not liking to exercise.

Here it is (hope it's OK to share it!). It's a bit fuzzy as I enlarged it a bit for here:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/melissa_sinclair2003/fitnessfledglinglogo2-1.jpg

shannonmb
02-09-2011, 09:20 AM
If I were your friend in PA, I'd be visiting YOU, but heh, that's not really the point of the thread, huh!

I know exactly how you feel, Linsy. I lost a good 30-40 lbs before I started exercising. I have always thought I just wasn't someone who liked any exercise. Sure I've done stints in the past, but it was a passing phase and I never kept up with it even though I DID feel better when I was doing it. I have no idea why that is, except I don't think I ever quite got my head around the fact that it is just something a person should DO. All the time, gaining weight, losing weight, happy with their weight, weight notwithstanding. I wasn't raised in an environment where ANYONE I knew did a regular fitness routine, so I just have never been able (willing, I should say) to make it a priority in my life.

I am going through a paradigm shift, as a poster put it on another thread. Gone are the days where I just want to look cute on vacation or whatever motivations I had in the past. I want to be a healthy person with as many good years left as possible, and that does not mean dieting myself out of "obese" only to lose muscle and stay un-fit in the process. THAT is not going to get me to my goal of going from being one of the unhealthiest people I know to one of the healthiest!

I started off very small in the fall, walking my daughter and the doggies to the bus stop. Then I started continuing on our walk after the bus pulled away. Then I started walking a bit after school before the bus came to drop her off. When the cold weather set in, I stopped my walks and didn't do much in December, but after Christmas I was determined to really step it up. I've worked up quite a bit (surprising me!) since then, I do my own little self-designed aerobics on the wii/weights workout in my family room. I love cranking my ipod and getting moving, though honestly, sometimes it's a struggle to WANT to do it. Today I went an extra 10 minutes because I was actually enjoying myself that much and didn't want to stop! I plan on getting walking again in the spring, along with running intervals and continuing with the strength training - I don't want to get bored! Is this, too, a phase that will pass? I have no idea, honestly. But I'm trying to look at exercising the same as showering and brushing my teeth -- just something a civilized person does to take care of themselves.

Hope you have a GREAT time exploring what works for you, and sorry so long. I get to blabbing, I know!

Marchmallow
02-09-2011, 09:27 AM
I know the thread has taken on a running theme, but I was surprised no one mentioned this.. what about cycling?

I only learned to ride a bike last year, and it's one of the most joyful things that I can think of to do. An exercise bike does not even come close! The feel of speeding up, the wind on your face and hair, going up and down hills, turning corners and really pedalling like the devil... I adore biking so much. And you can easily pick up a cheap second-hand bike if you don't have one. I got mine for 10, and I love it to death :)

synger
02-09-2011, 10:18 AM
If you want some goals/motivation, you might want to join The President's Challenge (http://www.presidentschallenge.org/index.shtml). Yes, it's that same Challenge that we all suffered through in elementary and middle school PE classes. But there's also a Presidential Active Lifestyle Award program, where you record your exercise (at least 30 minutes a day, at least five days a week) for six weeks. When you succeed, you can get a patch and award.

My workplace has a challenge, where for eight weeks we're each trying to gain 8,000 exercise points, which represents the 8,000 miles it would take to run a circuit between all our Regional and Headquarters buildings. I've earned almost 2,000 in three weeks already, with 30-minute elliptical and 45-minute walks.

JohnP
02-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I would strongly advise against running, or even jogging, for now. Having running as a goal is great but since you've always been sedentary starting off with walking is highly advisable. Your joints, knees, bone density, and endurance are not going to be up for the task. You have your whole lift in front of you and the last thing you want to do is injure yourself.

Before you start walking you should first go get a good pair of shoes that fit your feet good. You're going to have to pay more but you will thank me later. Go to a running shoe store where you can get good service by someone who knows what they're doing.

When you've built up enough endurance that brisk walking for several miles is no longer a challenge then I would suggest jogging.

EmmaD
02-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Also, about the c25k apps for the ipod (mine is called just "Couch to 5K" and is a brown square with a "5K" logo) - once you have it installed, you can use the intervals for other things than just working up to 5K.

For example, I use the first and second weeks' programs (30 second "run"/90 second "walk", and 90/120, respectively) for interval training where I run fast/run slow or sprint/walk. You could start out using the intervals to walk as fast as you can followed by recovery walks until you work up to jogging ...

I suggest this only because I was bored out of my mind with jogging and the C25K program is the only thing that gets me out there. Plus the ipod versions let you use your own music. I find the right music to be critical - for motivation AND also it helps create your own little world where you don't notice the people around you (I am very self-conscious and can't get out to exercise in public without my headphones on!). You could even listen to podcasts if you don't need the music to get you going...

Just start slow and easy - and have FUN - good luck to you!!

Tomato
02-09-2011, 11:51 AM
I completely agree with Schmead's and JohnP's recommendations.
Start slowly. Try exercising for 5 minutes a day and slowly increase the time.
Start with walking, alternate the pace (you will need to give yourself intervals to catch up your breath at first) and only after you can sustain a really brisk walk for a while, start jogging.

Otherwise, my recommendation is to find a class that would be fun. I am a huge fan of Zumba. I can go to the class in a totally bad mood, mulling over some work issues in my head, and I walk out (sweaty as a pig) with a happy face and a big smile. At first, you may need to just march to the music as the more vigorous movements may be too much but the music will suck you in.

synger
02-09-2011, 04:15 PM
I agree with those who suggest you take it slowly with jogging/running. I did C25K about four years ago when I was about 275 lbs, but I thought I was doing it slowly enough that it would be okay. I had been doing low-impact aerobics and walking tapes for a while. I would re-do many of the c25K weeks because I wasn't ready to move to the next week's plan. But I was doing it!

I didn't finish the whole program, and never did a 5K run. About ten weeks into it, my ankle began giving me grief, and I went back to walking. Soon, I couldn't do much at all. Now I have achilles tendinitis, and some days it's all I can do to get down the seven steps from my bedroom floor to the living room floor in my home. I have to do ankle stretches every day, and I can't remember the last day I haven't been at least a 2 on the pain scale (of 1 to 10). Most mornings or after I get up after sitting a while it's about a 4 or 5, and as I warm up it gets down to a 3 or 2.

I still walk, after taking a complete exercise break (other than stretching). I'm up to 30-45 minutes now, which would have been impossible this time last year without a handful of Ibuprofen. And I definitely have to start out very slowly when I begin my walks.

That being said, I don't want to discourage you from exercise... just be aware of what you are doing and how your body is reacting. You may be much younger and healthier than I was, and you've lost more weight than I did before I tried c25k.

there are a lot of fun videos out there that are more exciting than Sansone and may better fit your energy and interest level. Look at collagevideo.com (http://www.collagevideo.com/) for the absolutely best selection. They allow you to select by beginner, intermediate, and advanced... low impact or high... style (dance, calisthenics, resistance training)... and even by instructor. And they have great reviews and allow you to preview most of the videos before you buy.

KimWin
02-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Kinsy, hey lady ! I have friends in your same situation. My advice to them is to put on a high energy dance song (or just go to youtube and browse some house/electonric/rap/remixes- whatever you like).

Make sure the song is at least 5 minutes and dance your heart out! I have found that I can burn up to 50-70 calories in just a short little minute routine! AND IT'S FUN!!!!

I have other friends who have committed to just 5 minutes a day. In about two months, my friend looked fabulous and it was just kinda out of the blue. Then he told me about the 5 minutes a day. It was all he could commit to and it worked! :)

Here is why to exercise:
The older we get, the more our brain changes. Originally, before doing all my workouts, I exercise because it helps the neurons in the brain function properly. The sodium potassium pumps and axons will fire more accurately, therefore allowing your brain to stay alert and quick. This may not seem like a big deal now, but it's good for your brain to.

It's not just about the physical aspect. It's about the entire mind/body/soul connection! :) And way to go for losing 50 pounds! :)

blueballerina
02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
bar method dvds (from the official site not amazon, way overpriced on amazon) are about 17-20$s and a great workout that i find to be very motivating since you really do feel it the next day (not to mention during the workout) it is also accessible to people of all weights and fitness levels....i only just started exercising a few weeks ago after not exercising for maybe a year or more and after gaining 100lbs....so if i can do it, i'm sure you, or anyone, can too....also you do >not< need a barre !! ..just use a chair...there are some clips on youtube to show what type of exercise it is..very simple, but just as effective movements.....i must sound like an advertisement, but seriously...this is the only exercise i have ever acttually enjoyed and looked forward to doing

i used to live off of leslie sansone dvds...now i can' bear them

i've been trying out zumba dvds too, but i still suck at the steps :p ...but perhaps you are better coordinated then i am ?

both of these workouts motivate me, and i was very resistant to exercise for months....now i still am just a little bit resistant but it is just leftover from before..self-doubt trickling away, faster and faster the more exercise becomes a habit......

i hope you find something you like ! if anything, maybe just try to do some stretches everyday for 10-15 minutes and work your way up

Matilda08
02-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Linsy when I started out I was soooo out of shape and now I can jogg at 3mph for 20mins straight!!!! We arent that different is weight I am 220 right now so dont let your size get you. You have done a great job thus far. At the end of the day its all about what YOU believe you can do! If you believe it you can acheive it dont lose hope

KellyMarie90
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
You can always do circuit exercises in your own home. There are plenty of cardio, floor based exercises that need minimal or no equipment. If you were going to invest in some fitness equipment I would go to walmart/kmart/target or wherever and buy a medicine ball (usefull in a lot of circuit type exercises as well as for targeting) and a jump rope (not the kiddie kind, but a fitness one)
Both are cheap and very useful. You can also go on youtube and find some cardio circuits you might enjoy :)
I personally believe diet is 80% of weight loss but fitness is so important, not only to prevent muscle atrophy but also because diet doesnt do anything for your cardiovascular strength/stamina.

Bombe
02-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Linsy, when I started I couldn't jog for 10 seconds either....literally! What helped me A LOT was weight lifting. I did a weight routine instead of a cardio routine and I still reaped the benefits of exercise (in fact it's proven to be more beneficial to me than cardio but each body reacts differently) but I didn't have to gasp and stumble and feel like I was going to pass out. I still broke a sweat and man I had some REAL sore days but I prefer it very much to cardio type exercises which means I'm more likely to do it more often.

I recently invested in the P90X program (started it last October, took December and January off and now I'm just getting back into it) and I really love it! It is very expensive though (around $130) but I bought mine for $50 on ebay and I have a friend who bought hers for cheap on craigslist. You do it at home, you get 13 different DVD's so you're never doing the same thing over and over and it really kicks your ***! It's one of the first things I've found that I actually ENJOY doing :eek:

LTs girl
02-11-2011, 12:06 PM
You might try the local library for some videos. Mine has a lot of workout videos for free to check out. Or if you belong to something like netflix they have the play it now portion with a lot of fitness videos.

No one says you have to have actual weights to work out. Use water bottle, canned goods, or anything you can find. You would be surprised what you can find around the house.

If people watching you walk is an issue, could you go at different times when there is less traffic? EARLY mornings or late nights? Less people out and about.

Good luck.

BigBlueStar
02-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Working up to running is a fantastic goal, I would love to one day and it is a LONG term goal for me, but at 266 with a similar activity level as you its going to take me awhile. Moving around at this weight is difficult enough.

I use Netflix and get a great variety of workout DVDs there. I get bored easily when working out so variety is key for me. I know if I fall in love with one I can find it on Amazon.

Also I download new pumping music whenever I can. Honesty, I'd rather listen to something like NPR on the radio. In 'real life' I wouldn't really ever go out of my way to listen to Lady GaGa or Ke$ha unless i'm out with friends, but those 'top 10' type songs are really fun and get me going on my Ipod while I'm walking. I love to listen to interesting Podcasts while walking, but I find something really loud and fast does make to walk faster.

And about being self conscious (sp)....well the quote is true: "You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do." - Eleanor Roosevelt Get on out there girl! ;)

gagalu
02-11-2011, 02:03 PM
exercise is very worth it. i had trouble finding the motivation as well, so i just made it routine. routine is far more steadfast than motivation is. the gym is a fantastic break from home, school, work, etc. especially if you have an iphone. ;)

the results are also so amazingly fast that it gets addicting. i don't feel tired after the gym, either -- i feel invigorated. it's far beyond worth it.

beerab
02-11-2011, 02:14 PM
The only way to get better is to keep trying it.

When I started running on my treadmill I think the first day after 2 minutes I was DONE.

Now I can easily run half an hour to 45 minutes on my treadmill at a decent 4.5 pace. I'm not a fast runner but I have some endurance at least!

I tried the c25k and didn't care for it- the music selections with the stuff I downloaded was terrible so I kind of just did my own thing, warm up a few minutes, then run as much as I could, then slow down and then walk a bit, then run again. :)

My nutritionist told me just start out with a few minutes a day- and you'll see over time you'll say "I can go longer" and you will :) As for a goal to look towards how about this will help you lose more weight AND will make you healthier :D

The key is to keep at it- there were days I had to tell myself "GET UP AND DO IT RIGHT NOW!" and I'd go do it and when I was done I'd feel great- try to remember how you feel after a workout- that really helps :)

Jasmine31
02-11-2011, 05:42 PM
I have a music player so I listen to music when I am out. Or you could get a book reader.