Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

Default Finally lost that pound after a week! But getting exhausted..

I have been struggling to lose this one particular pound for ages, and after a week of doing a Jillian Michaels dvd I got rid of it!

Thing is though, I think I'm over-doing it in general and I've gotten very exhausted and run down. I work a lot, and this week I'm in work 43 hours (10 and 8 hour shifts), plus I make dinner when I get home for me and my housemates, and then have to do the excercise that I can't fit into the day! This morning, I woke up with a sore throat and general feeling of being under the weather. Both my mum and my therapist have told me to take time and rest, but I can't if I want to lose the weight, because weight loss is always so hard for me. I eat right, and don't over-eat at all.

Should I exercise less?? :/ I'm terrified of gaining back that cursed pound!!
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #2  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

I know what you mean. I work 50 hours a week and go to the gym every night after work. Sometimes I get a little burned out. When i feel like that I just do some light walking. Any movement is better than none. When you feel more energized u can kick it up a notch!
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #3  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

It is wise to listen to your body. If you feel to rest, REST. Take a day or two off and then get back into your workouts. Believe me, your body will thank you. I am in tune with my body and at times take a week off from exercise. Whenever I resume, I am so energized and rearing to go!

You might even drop a pound or two....that has been my experience!

Last edited by Slim CB; 02-08-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #4  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I'm not a doctor or anything, but I think that if you're ill, you do need to take it easy for a few days. Part of losing weight is learning to do it over the long haul, and that means being able to make it fit with your life--including bouts with colds or flu.

Or you could compromise: step back your exercise to some lighter level for a few days. If you jog, walk. If you have a stationary bike, don't raise the resistance on it. Take a vacation from Jillian in favor of some light yoga or free-form dancing. Skip the heavy lifting. You'll still stay active, but still get a little bit of a respite from heavy-duty effort.

Look for Eliana's chronicle of her exercise break elsewhere on the forums; she's been tremendously successful and recorded what she did step by step. It'll give you some valuable insight into exercise, taking breaks, and varying routines.

Congratulations on ridding yourself of that annoying pound! May all of its brothers and sisters soon follow it.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Definitely give it a rest until you feel healthy again. If you're body is telling you it can't keep going then listen to it. You've probably lost more weight then you think but you've been working so hard that your body is retaining water. Take a few days off and you will not only feel better but you will probably see a little dip on the scale. Losing weight and exercising is about getting healthy not running yourself ragged.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #6  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Definitely switch it up with exercise. Maybe cut it out for a few days, just do a little strength training in the mornings to kick up your metabolism, and cut back your food intake (from I'm assuming 1500-ish down to 1300, perhaps?). You might find that lower calories in/out is more sustainable for you.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5'1"

Congratulations on finally losing that pound! As for exhaustion, your body is probably telling you to take it easy for a few days. Just start your workouts again when you're not feeling under the weather anymore.
marianne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for the support and advice I did indeed take it easy and have had pretty much two rest days now, and I do feel better. My sore throat is going, and I'm praying that's all it is - I can't deal with a cold right now!!

And you know what, you're right about the scales thing. I weighed myself just now, and I lost another two pounds. @_@ What the ****?! Not complaining, of course!!

thanks guys!
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote