Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #1  
Yay!

S/C/G: 252/seeticker/195

Height: 1,83/ 6

Default Exercising and weight training, im depressed help!

Hey guys!

So this morning I stepped on the scale and I gain weight. Ive been gaining 1 or 2 pounds a week since christmas and I am really starting to be depressed about it.

At first I thought it was christmas and all the food but now Im thinking something is WRONG.

I eat healthy but I havent been dieting. I was not trying to lose weight just maintaining and toning my body. I added weight teaining and kettlebell training to my routine.

Now I find myself almost 10 pounds over what I like to be and I dont even know WHY! I am going to diet againb ut I have no willpower. Im sad and depressed and sick of my body.

The scale is just depressing and I fear it now.. I just dont feel good about all the positive change I did last year. I am obcessed and unhappy!

Help!!

Last edited by Zofia; 02-08-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Zofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Just because you're eating healthy doesn't mean you're not overeating. You may want to consider calorie counting.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I second that ^^^ Calorie Count!

The only way your going to know where your GOING is to find out where your coming FROM. I highly recommend writing everything you eat down and then logging it onto an online calorie counting site such as calorie count dot com(not sure of exact url). Once you find out how many calories, protein, fat, carbs and sodium your taking in, you'll KNOW exactly what you need to adjust.

Hope this helps
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #4  
Yay!

Thank you guys I appreciate it!

I must say, I am not a believer in calorie counting at all. I lost all my weight by eating healthy amount of everything and by exercising daily. Calorie counting can be a great tool but it just didnt work for me and my believes. I always said: a whole grain toast at 170 is better then 100 calorie slice of white bread yet calorie countring could encourage ot eat the white because its less calories.

Anyways, I know when combine with the right diet its an awesome tool so that why I did start calorie counting a month ago because I was really curious to see if it could help me personnally at this point even if I dont believe in it.

Results: Most days I eat 1600-1800 calories and weekends about 2200.
I am 6 feet tall and really built so that amount of calories shouldnt make me gain any weight. Remember I was trying to maintain no loss or no gain.

One of my friend suggested this morning I try ditching the scale and set clothes goal.

I think that is what I am going to do. There is a really cute pair of shorts I bought in Barcelona that doesnt fit properly anymore cause of my stomach. I am going to keep exercsing and maybe try to eat the same amount of calories just cutting down the carbs a little and increaisng proteins and maybe that will fix my problem.

One thing for sure, when I was loosing weight, I remember clearly when I was at this weight and I couldnt wear my size 33 because they were too tight yet they fit me perfectly today at the exact same wight which tells me I did gain muscle weight.yes I know! mucle dont weigh more than fat. What I mean is that I increased the volume of my muscle which would weigh more.

so maybe this is jsut a collection of:

- Muscle gain but no fat loss
- Water retention, a week before my period I always have more water retention and I did eat salty food last weekend

Sure this does not normally equal to 8 pounds more and I know I did gain fat since these shorts dont fit properly so Ill just focus on the shorts instead of the scale, weigh myself only when I fit into these shorts again -_-

Oh and if I wasnt suposed ot post this here, please feel free to delete. I guess i jsut needed support and people giving me ideas.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I am a calorie counter, but loosely. I'm not a very good counter, I guess. And I still suggest counting up those calories! Just eating healthier usually does not work, especially when you're only talking about 10 or so pounds. I'm not saying you should journal every bite, though that would be great advice. But I really thinking there's a lot of consumed calories between "eating healthy" and strictly counting. Something in between is often pretty good.

Plus, you said you have no will power. That's a big red flag to me. That sounds like a carb addiction. If you can power through three days of ridding your diet of the processed crap in all its various forms, you will find the return of you so called "will power". It sounds like you have a fair grasp on that already since you prefer wheat over white for health reason. But even too much wheat can cause those cravings. I would limit myself to one carb per meal if I was trying to detox.

I bet that right there will get you jump started.

And adding weight training is fantastic! I love that you are going to measure your success through your clothes because the addition of weight training can mess with the scale.

All in all, it sounds like you have your head on straight.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #6  
Yay!

Thank you Eliana!

I think you are right on the carb thing. I do eat healthy portion of carbs and I dont really crave them or crave sugar. My problem are fats liek cheese etc. But I totally see your point and you amde me realize that maybe I should cut down on the portion itself. I dont want to maintain but loose now so it totally make sense to cut maybe one carb a day. And I will definately subtitute some of my daily intake of bread for veggies instead and lets see how that works.

I feel better now cause I wrote down new goals that does not include JUST the scales and now I just need ot stick with it :0 Ill update in a month hahaha

thank you so much eveyrone. i feel better xxx

Last edited by Zofia; 02-08-2011 at 11:21 AM.