Alternachicks - Wait a minute! Am I the only one with my period!?

ellis
12-04-2002, 03:26 PM
What the heck?! I thought we were all on the same schedule. I got mine last night. I'm so crabby... it's cold and all I want to do is eat and sleep. :mad:

Wanttolosealot
12-04-2002, 03:28 PM
I should be behind you by a day or two, so likely tonight or tomorrow! I am starting the craving thing as I just posted in Weigh in but am going to try to curb it.
Virginia

Ruthxxx
12-04-2002, 03:28 PM
heheheheh! What the heck is a period?

Wanttolosealot
12-04-2002, 03:30 PM
She is nasty isn't she Ellis! Ruth nasty nasty! LOL
Virginia

ellis
12-04-2002, 03:37 PM
oooooooooooh, you little *****.... ROFLMGO

ellis
12-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Is that normal? Craving food when you're getting/having your period? Because I just lost a measly 3 pounds, and I've been known to pack on 6 pounds in one day. IT TOOK ME 10 WEEKS TO LOSE THOSE 3 POUNDS!!!!
If it's normal, I'll try to curb it. If it's not.... la di da...

Wanttolosealot
12-04-2002, 03:42 PM
Normal with me, I crave sugar and sometimes salt which retains water.

ellis
12-04-2002, 03:48 PM
Can we do a survey before I gorge myself?

mysticvix
12-04-2002, 03:50 PM
Yep, I'm on as of today.....
I get PMT, DMT and AMT......all of which cause me to stuff my face!

VelvetCyberpunk
12-04-2002, 04:08 PM
I just got over my period yesterday. And yes I crave like crazy when I'm on my period. I crave red meat, and chocolate. To me a nice rare staek, and something chocolatey is heaven when I'm on the red carpet if ya know what I mean. ;) I feel for you hon. Good luck

Wanttolosealot
12-04-2002, 04:28 PM
The red carpet. I like that! I know people who call it , "being on the rag". I hate that expession. So vulgar! WIth my prim and proper ways, it just is not right. The red carpet is much nicer, or even Mother nature visiting.
Virginia

sabrina
12-04-2002, 05:32 PM
"the unwelcome visitor". I don't turn into a raging lunatic or anything when the "visitor" shows up, but I do feel bloated and
gross.

S.

barefootgrrrl
12-04-2002, 05:38 PM
nope, not yet. But whenever Ellis starts, I can almost set my clock by it - about 5 days LOL

Yeah there are some nasty names for it :(

I just call it my period. period.

Terri

barefootgrrrl
12-04-2002, 05:40 PM
Ellis - I can sympathize with you feeling cold.

Our furnace died last night, they said it would take 2 days to get a new one and we're expecting a snow storm tonight :(

We'll be hudded by the space heater and we'll be careful

Terri

ellis
12-04-2002, 06:00 PM
Okay, so I'm not losing it... thank you girls. I'm going to try to be rational about this (ha!) and not gorge myself.

Oh Terrigrrrl... my heart goes out to you. Oh god... I'm so sorry. That happened to us a few years ago. I was pretty much ready to just set the house alight in order to get warm. Keep cuddled up, hon!

Lamorgan
12-04-2002, 06:13 PM
I travelled the red carpet last week when mom in law was here. I kept sneaking out on errands and eating chocolate. And anything else not stapled down. I crave sweets, and comfort food. Comfort food can encompass just about anything. In other words, the sky was the limit.

:)

Fast and furious, that's my menses, but last week I had cramps so bad I went to bed in a huddled heap. I don't usually get cramps at menses, but at ovulation (when young men look particularly good) but figure I'm getting to that age when my cycle will be changing.

:eek:

Anyway, I'm done but can relate to how you are feeling today!

Lois

ellis
12-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Thanks, Lois. I'm like that when I'm ovulating, too. I always think I'm dying. :rolleyes:
Okay, now that I know it's not just me, I am NOT going to succumb to this feeling. I am going to eat carrots and drink water. Maybe a potato? Three potatoes. With a little low fat marg. And some bread. and maybe just a small bag of chips. and a box of Smarties. and some ice cream...

ps... I'd eat, too, Lois if my MIL were here for that length of time!

soozie
12-05-2002, 02:20 PM
Ellis...I'm PMS to the max! and very HUNGRY as I said in some other post. Have been alittle sloppier with my food yesterday and today...but, I'm determined not to totally screw up! As you said Ellis, it is so hard to get it off and so easy to put it on.
So, I'm hanging in there, snowed in with my little one, DP will be home from work in about an hour...she told me she is bringing home groceries since it snowed...a thing we down here, who aren't used to snow, do when we get a little dusting...we think we have to supply ourselves for months!

Hope DP doesn't kill me by bringing home junk food...if so I'll see you in the Help Hubby is trying to Kill me thread later on! PMS and Snowed IN and Junk Food in the house...I'll go crazy! Actually it looks like we've gotten about 7 or 8 inches so far which is alot for us...

talk to you soon
Love Soozie

Lidian
12-05-2002, 03:37 PM
Ah yes, that fabulous time of the month! I am sliding towards the great day which of course is the day we are starting a trip to see relatives - 2 days by car. And won't that be fun for me! I crave all sorts of things beforehand, especially plain M&Ms and plain ruffled potato chips.

Of course I crave them the rest of the month too, but this is the only time I can blame it on a physiological process.

I also blame my bitter, ugly, resentful mood on the TOM too! Tis the season to be grumpy!

Mind you I HATE it when DH says, in response to grumpiness, oh you must be getting your period. Even if I am, this only outrages me further. Even the imperturbable cats flee to the basement in awe of my Gorgon glare.

The angry goddess must be appeased by offerings of dark chocolate - lots and lots of bittersweet chocolate...

Lidian

dentrassi
12-05-2002, 10:31 PM
Okay, I have to take progesterone now, which is like PMS in tablet form. (Acrtually had to up the other meds to combat it!!) By the tenth day I am ready to kill. Then I come off it and ahave a couple of days of PMS, then my period starts.

I LOOK FORWARD TO MENOPAUSE!!!!!!

ellis
12-06-2002, 08:00 AM
Me too, Den!
Listen, as a favor on Saturday I'm babysitting a girlfriend's 11 month old for a few hours. She called me yesterday to confirm, and said, "Will the whole family be there?" I thought maybe she didn't WANT them here, so I said they might go out. Turns out she thought it might be helpful to me if they were with me for support. :lol: I'm pretty sure she's worried I'm going to lose it and decapitate her child. heh heh. So I had to reassure her on that point. She and I BOTH hate kids (apart from our own), and she knows how it gets... she's 40 with her first child. I don't know HOW she does it at that age!

squeaker
12-06-2002, 09:07 AM
I can't look forward to Menopause just yet. Too long of a wait. :)

But I currently have my period too. I thought I was ahead of everyone else last time we had this discussion. And mine doesn't change when it happens. The pill kinda prevents that.

I crave anything that I can put salt on mostly. Or salt and chocolate (chocolate covered pretzels. yum!) or just chocolate.

But this should be the last day.

:mouse:

Lamorgan
12-06-2002, 10:11 AM
Can you imagine a baby at 40??????? I'm 40! Mom was 43 when she had me. Poor, poor woman.

L

ellis
12-06-2002, 11:06 AM
I know... I know, Lois. And she's planning on having another soon. Gotta get those two kids in before menopause!
Her husband came home one day from work, and she said to him (sort of jokingly), "What would happen if I threw the baby down the stairs?"
He said, "You'd be in prison." :lol:
My mom was 40 and 42 when she had me and my sister. What a freakin' nightmare!! I'm pushing 38, and I can barely keep my eyes open.

Wanttolosealot
12-06-2002, 03:01 PM
Hi Ellis
I have officially joined the club as of today! Got my period, no wonder I have been eating anything sweet I can get my hands on.
Virginia

ellis
12-06-2002, 03:52 PM
Sorry, Virginia. ;)

Hey, remember my daughter got her first period in September? Well apparantly she didn't enjoy it, because she hasn't had it since. Is that normal? (and NO, she is NOT pregnant!)

dentrassi
12-06-2002, 09:55 PM
Okay, day 9 of progesterone and I am ready to rip someone's head off.....

My sister will be almost 43 when she gets the baby!!!

dentrassi
12-06-2002, 09:56 PM
Squeak-The progesterone keeps me on schedule too. Ellis used to start 2 days AFTER me and now she is about a week before me, so you are NOT imagining things!!!

Wanttolosealot
12-06-2002, 10:09 PM
A friend of mine says yes it is normal. When she first started her period years ago, she had her period normal for two weeks, than nothing for 8 months.

ellis
12-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Phew! Thanks, Virginia.

dentrassi
12-09-2002, 11:59 PM
Okay, progesterone induced rage has abated. Now I am suffering from PMS blues. Just feel sad for no reason. The holidays are rough ANYWAY, so this is no fun. Hope I start menstruating soon, 'cause I know I'll feel better almost as soon as i do.

sabrina
12-10-2002, 12:40 AM
I got my "unwelcome visitor" yesterday.

It's the first time I've ever cried because I got my period.

S.

barefootgrrrl
12-10-2002, 01:01 AM
Ellis, thanks for starting my five day count down.

It arrived today just as predicted last week, amazing. Can you post every month so it will help me keep track? LOL

I've been cranky the past few days - but then again, that can happen anytime
:lol:

My DD is 12 and a half - she doesn't appear to be close yet...... what should I be looking for? ( she gets embarrassed when I try to ask!)

den, sabrina - sorry to hear about the rage and the tears...:grouphug: I know how that feels

Love, Terri

ellis
12-10-2002, 08:01 AM
Den and Sabrina... ditto on the hugs and cuddles. I'm really sorry you're feeling *hitty. Just think... you'll be done by Christmas! No surprises THIS year!!
Den, it's really too bad we can't drink more (darn those drugs!). Although we'd probably be raging alcoholics, wouldn't we. :D

Terri, you're looking for nothing. It'll hit her at the worst possible moment. Don't you remember your first? There was no warning. Sort of like a tornado. All I did with my daughter was to buy her a packet of pads and make her keep a few in her school knapsack. Fortunately she started at home in bed. I started at the age of 12 and a half... we were at the drive-in with my family watching Star Wars. When we got home, I discovered my favorite jean shorts covered in blood. Hmmm... I wonder who cleaned the back seat of the car....?

Lidian
12-10-2002, 11:37 AM
Goodness, we all seem to be having or about to get periods! I have about 11 more years (since my mother was 51 when she went through menopause & I am 40) and at roughly 13 periods a year (every 4 weeks now - I used to be every 6! I do not want MORE as I get older!!) - that is 143 periods to go, and 143 too many in my opinion!

The last time my MIL was here was when child #2 had just been born - and though I love her dearly, I was driven to eating bags of Chunks Ahoy in secret and trying not to snarl at everyone. It is a small house and I have a short temper!

As my TOM approaches (on Friday the 13th!!) I am growling at anyone who comes near my dwindling box of Ovation mint sticks!

Lidian

barefootgrrrl
12-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Yes, I figured it would all hit her like that.

For me it happened just days before my 14th birthday - it was traumatic because my mom couldn't discuss it with me.

I had been horse riding earlier that day so I thought it meant that I tore myself from spreading my legs on horseback :(

Sad memory!

Not that way in our house - my DD is lucky to have me:smug:

Terri

PS - Chunks Ahoy! :) Wine is my PMS food/beverage item of choice

dentrassi
12-10-2002, 05:25 PM
I was 12 and my Mom gave me a red plant to celebrate, but it died when we moved a week later. (I was MAD!!!)

HEY!! It started and i'm feeling a bit better already. It is the "anticipation" that i find annoying...that and the overflows!!!

Ruthxxx
12-10-2002, 05:43 PM
You know ...... all this period talk is making me nostalgic as **** for the days of my cramping and dripping youth. Sigh!

ellis
12-11-2002, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I bet. :rolleyes:

dentrassi
12-11-2002, 01:27 AM
Ruth-I don't know if you are a sadist or a masochist!!!!!

Lidian
12-11-2002, 11:05 AM
I will be so glad to quit having periods! It has been 28 years now. My 9 year old daughter was asking about it and this reminded me of MY first one. I was almost 12 and my mother presented me with a sort of pink plastic garter belt that had two straps that hung down (back and front) to which one was supposed to clip a pad. YUCK! I refused to wear it (she must have bought it about 1962!).

Then there were stick tampons, with a thin dowel in them (that you removed, of course!). Anyone remember those? Thank goodness things aren't so barbaric anymore - it's bad enough just having it!

Lidian

tamibeep
12-11-2002, 11:24 AM
The power of suggestion that you people exhibit is staggering (she said, and then trotted off to the loo with a grimace and a tampon). :dz:

ellis
12-11-2002, 11:35 AM
My mom had my younger sister at the age of (almost) 42. She NEVER had another period after that! Just imagine... last egg. I'm hoping to follow in her footsteps. :D (ummm, NOT with the baby part, though!)

barefootgrrrl
12-11-2002, 01:33 PM
oh wow ! I am 42, I am the weird one here. I WANT to keep having them. Yes, call me strange!

Oh Lidian!! Yes, I tried them all. Younger women just don't know what we put up with.

When I started, we didn't use belts, just pins - we pinned them to our panties! How barbaric and I remember how they would get twisted and make me walk funny! About a year later, they came out with thin strips of adhesive on the back - it got caught in pubic hair and pulled it - yikes! (am I too graphic yet! sorry!)

Then was I was about 15, my cousin and me wanted to go swimming and of course we needed tampons for that and she got some from her older sister. Neither one of us knew what we were doing, neither of us was familiar with out anatomy! and we could not ask anybody! imagine that in 1976! so we went into side by side stalls at the beach bathhouse - trying to coax each other into how to insert them - talking to each other through the wall!
:lol:

Finally we both emerged - tampons only partially inserted ( we did not understand the mechanics!) as we walked stiffly toward the water - my little cousins were laughing at us cuz we walked so weird.

To this day I laugh so hard about that.

Terri

Lidian
12-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Terri, we are from the same era, absolutely! And a fine vintage it is too!

I remember when all the boys in my HS wanted to look like John Travolta at the dances we had, and they kept playing 'Stayin Alive' all night (known at our house as 'Pants Are Too Tight' - have you seen the video where the BeeGees are walking around in, well pants that are too tight? It always cracks me up!)

And rotary dial phones, and LPs, and the Beatles breaking up, and men with wide ties and silly fedora hats (groovy middle-class streetwear!).

And my girls look horrified when I say there were no computers. The first time I saw a computer was in college circa 1980. I said to the guy who owned it, "How can you type and watch TV at the same time?":lol:

Yes, and OB tampons are a wonderful thing (back on the great topic!) I can only imagine what our grandmothers must have gone through, that belts and little sticks were big technological improvements!

Lidian

barefootgrrrl
12-11-2002, 09:49 PM
oh Lidian......you bring back so many memories! thank you!

yes ! I know that video, my husband always wishes he looked like Barry Gibb! (all that hair!) I lost my virginity during a drive in showing of Saturday Night Fever - is that too much info? he he

Not that I haven't been divulging too much already!

oh your computer story is too funny! My daughter doesn't believe me when I tell her there was a time when we could only watch cartoons on Saturday mornings - or you had to wait for the Wizard of Oz to come on TV once a year - either that or you missed it for a whole nother year!

OB tampons used to drive me crazy! I need an applicator! LOL

Terri - my mom says in her younger days - they were all called Kotex - that's it!

Ruthxxx
12-11-2002, 11:05 PM
NOT AT ALL, Terri! Some of the pads were called Modess. They were discretely wrapped in plain brown paper. I used to be so mortified when I had to go to the local drugstore and the 16 year old son was there. Usually I went home and faked it! I bet you never thought you'd be on the internet with a chick who knows how to make sanitary napkins!
THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL does "Traditional Crafts of the late 1950's"

dentrassi
12-12-2002, 12:22 AM
I remember one time in college when the smug clerk asked me if I wanted a bag. (Try to embarrass ME will ya?!) I said, "No thanks, I'll eat them here." The look on his face was priceless!!!!

soozie
12-12-2002, 03:50 AM
Memories, light the corners of my mind...misty water color memories...
of the way we were.....la la la la la la

well you can tell by the way I use my walk I'm a woman's man, no time to talk...

and so on and so on and so on...
got my period yesterday,
finally,
now I can be normal again!
soozie

barefootgrrrl
12-12-2002, 07:04 AM
Oh y'all do make me laugh so much!

Now I remember Modess too vaguely on the shelf - but they looked like hospital supplies!:lol:

Oh yes the embarrassment of it all. I used to pick up a box then only go to the checkout aisle where there was a female cashier!

If there was no female cashier on duty at that time, I would leave and come back - gee!

Yes, my mom did say something about my grandmother making her own....we have come so far in some ways haven't we?

Terri