General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Angry My rant with ppl..

It seriously annoys me that a person who is fit and in shape would be at the gym saying "OH MY GOD, there is a FAT person" "They look so ugly and look at there belly jiggle and look at how there *** sags blah blah blah"...

This bothers me like crazy....cause..where else are women or men who are overweight or obese going to go and exercise and work out..Why is it that fit and thin people need to be the dominators of a gym. I think those people should suck it up because thats where overweight or weight challenged people go and to work on changing to becomming what i call "Thintabulous"..

Arghhh! It just makes me mad that people would see other people that way..why cant they see the person that is there, and see that they are working hard.Why cant people be more encouraging towards people instead of critical?? Whats wrong with society!!!

Well thats my rant for the day...(SIGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH)
I feel better now that ive let it out..im going back to being happy now
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I've never experienced anyone saying that out loud at a gym!

But if I did I'd probably go "Wow, do you know how that sounds? That's awful to say! Where else do people go to GET FITTER and work on themselves than a gym? I'm so embarassed for you."

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-08-2011 at 02:23 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

uggh people can be really ignorant these days im embarrassed for whoever made that comment in the gym.. they should be looking at overweight people at the gym and think
"it's great they are working hard to become more fit and healthy" smh i
samantha0992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #4  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Are you serious? People DO that?

I couldn't help myself. I'd be all, "OH MY GAWD, there is a ***** in the gym! I didn't think we let those in!" Then I'd consider "accidentally" squashing her against a wall or hip-checking her into a potted plant on my way past, but would think better of it because I frankly wouldn't want to get that close to such a toxic person.

Who goes to the gym to look at other people? Isn't the point of a gym to be focused on yourself?

While I confess I don't actually go to a gym--they all seem to want money, for some crazy reason --I have never...never experienced random-stranger cruelty while getting any form of exercise. If anything, my walks and pathetic attempts at jogs around the neighborhood elicit the occasional thumbs-up, not rudeness.

Someone with wonderful social graces here on these boards (I forget who it was, but whoever she is, I admire her eloquence) wrote that when faced with incredibly rude statements, she said, "Oh, do you realize you said that out loud? How embarrassing for you!" I just thought that was excellent, don't you?
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

Height: 5'2"

Did you hear someone saying that while you were at the gym? If so, I'm so sorry! People can really suck sometimes. You know, I used to really believe that people at the gym were too busy working out to worry about other people's size/weight/fitness level/clothing choices. Then I went to the gym with an acquaintance (who isn't exactly rail thin herself) who constantly made loud comments about everyone who passed by. She didn't even try to lower her voice! I was so embarrassed and worried that other people would think that I was a huge b****, too. And I also wondered what she says about me when I'm not in earshot.

I think the thing to do, if possible, is to find a way to use such comments to spur you forward. Weight changes, but being a tactless, insensitive witch is a harder issue to resolve. I'd rather have a weight problem than be mean and/or thoughtless.
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #6  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

holy crap did someone actually say that out loud??? insane, appalling. i'm floored. jeez. so sorry you had to hear that. i thought gyms were supposed to be places where people zone out and do their thing...wtf?
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

People are awful sometimes. I can't say it has ever occurred to me or anyone I've ever known to degrade someone heavy for being AT THE GYM, EXERCISING, TO HELP LOSE WEIGHT AND GET HEALTHY.

What is WRONG with the world?!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I would not be able to keep my mouth shut. I always think good for them when I see an obviously overweight person working out. It's a shame to see negativity like that. Probably part of the reason that so many overweight people struggle to be comfortable going to a gym.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #9  

I joined a local gym, not far from my house.
I had to lose only 20 pounds, so it was not a weight issue.

After I had been going for a few weeks, the young lady working at the front desk told me I should be going to their other branch, much farther away.

"Because that is where all the OLD people go." I was in my early 40's!
I just laughed it off.
Age discrimination...I should have got her name and reported her to top management. She probably would have been fired.

Always report rude workers to top management. Not the local gym manager.
And you can also report name calling by a member (harrassment) to the manager.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #10  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickilaughs View Post
I would not be able to keep my mouth shut.
Ditto I'd be ripping some b!tch in two if I ever heard that at a gym even if there is a group of them. I know my bite is worse then my bark and I have a pretty bad bark. I seriously hate people with a passion...
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #11  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I am so sorry that you had to hear that Porthardygurl. It is not shocking why overweight people do not want to go to the gym, it is because of behavior like this. I was scared of exercising, taking classes, and running on the treadmill in front of people who are in better shape. I just came to terms with it, and I say screw them. That person obviously has some self-esteem issues because they feel the need to put others down. You should feel sorry for the person, and pray that someone teachers them proper manners some day.

Last edited by Asherdoodles87; 02-08-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #12  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Hmm. I've never, in the entire time I've been going to a gym, heard anything even remotely similar said. Sure, there are the perceived "looks" you get from in shape people, but never, have I ever overheard someone saying something like that.

Rest assured that the person came across as a total ***, because that kind of gym-goer is the minority. Most people don't care WHO is there, and only notice others if they are on the equipment they need or space they were going to use. Even then, most will just mosey off to do something else, and at the most ask how much longer you're going to be on it.

Don't be scared of going to the gym. Besides, who gives a rat's behind what other people think? Going to the gym is about YOU. For me, once that iPod is turned on I'm in my own world.

Last edited by Pint Sized Terror; 02-08-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Nola Celeste, that was my response. I think we'd hit it off, lol!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

I've never heard that at a gym (thanks to my iPod, possibly) but the few people I've known who were thin and openly bashed fat people were clearly extremely unhappy with their own bodies. Like, on the verge of eating disorder unhappy. So if you hear it again just realize that person needs to put others down to make herself feel better.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
It seriously annoys me that a person who is fit and in shape would be at the gym saying "OH MY GOD, there is a FAT person" "They look so ugly and look at there belly jiggle and look at how there *** sags blah blah blah"...
Who are these people? Are they older than, like, seventeen?

This is reminding me of the girls "Omigod"-ing at the start of the old Sir Mix-a-Lot video for "Baby Got Back."

Um, girls, just don't provoke me by being cruel at the gym.

Just don't. I think I have post-traumatic stress disorder from the olden days, when I had to wear a little gym suit & fail miserably at the annual Presidential Fitness Test, and put up with snotty remarks from the alpha girls.

Well, now when this happens, I am not so meek. In fact, I'm a nasty little mockingbird when provoked, and am liable to come back with an unkind imitation, on the order of: "OH MY GOD, there is a RUDE person" and "They say such UGLY things and look at their mouths FLAPPING and look at how their IMMATURITY is showing blah blah blah blah."

No one disses someone for their weight or body in front of me & walks away in one piece.

Last edited by saef; 02-08-2011 at 12:54 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote