General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #1  
Hungry Hungry Dancer

S/C/G: tickertickerticker

Height: 5'4"

Default commuting from Houston to Austin for school..?

I wanted to see if I could get some outside opinions on something.

I am considering learning to become a metalsmither to make jewelry. The only problem is that the only decent program in metalsmithing I can find is at the Austin Community College..and I live in Houston. I would really rather not move to Austin, and even if I did I wouldn't be able to do so for at least another year or two. What my question is, is if you would think it was worth it to commute from Houston to Austin 2-3 days a week..depending on what days my classes would be scheduled ? Austin is about 2 1/2 hours away from me if making good time.

I can't think of any other way to do this, but to commute

the entire course length is at the shortest 2 years

Thank you for any opinions at all !

Last edited by blueballerina; 02-07-2011 at 04:22 PM.
blueballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Ick! I live in Alvin, just south of you. Have you looked into theArt Institute, San Jac, or one of the UH campuses. I totally understand the value of a good college program, but that commute would make me cringe... good luck!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #3  
Hungry Hungry Dancer

UH doesn't have a jewelry program. I don't know about the Art Institute, but I do know they are way out of my price range. The art academy I have been too also doesn't have a jewelry program and is also out of my price range now :/

I hadn't thought of San Jac, but I just checked and they also do not have a jewelry program.

I have some friends in Austin, and I am thinking if I am able to schedule all the classes I need in two consecutive days I could just stay there for the night..if that is possible. Of course...I don't know if that will be possible since I don't know what days the classes I need will be scheduled

well...good thing I have awhile to think about whether or not I can do this. This course would directly help me in advancing in a career I am already in....that makes it seem like it is worth it....the main factor will probably fall on whether or not I have the money to pay for gas....I think I could handle the drive itself
Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/210/150

Height: 5'6"

Staying at a friend's seems like it would be an ideal situation. One of my friends is taking classes here in Raleigh NC and lives in SC. He couch surfs while he's here and tries to only be here three days (two nights) a week.

Finding classes on two consecutive days probably won't happen, unless it's some kind of special program. Most college classes are either MWF or Tues/Thurs. However, you could possibly drive down Tues, spend tues night and weds night, and then drive back after class Thurs?

I would say call the program and ask them. They probably schedule things roughly the same every semester. If you have to take any gen eds (english/math/etc) you may be able to take them online, which will help.
Lily In Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #5  
Hungry Hungry Dancer

Talking

thank you ! that is very encouraging

I'm so excited about this program, I wish I could start sooner
Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Have you checked out Leisure Learning in Houston? I know they used to have jewelry making (I don't know about metalsmithing). It's not a certification or anything but would give you an idea if it's something you want to do before you start making that drive.

I did an 1 1/2 hr commute for a while (once a week-3 hrs a day) and it got old very very fast. I did that for 2 semesters & it got to be tough.

Also, I don't know if COM (College of the Mainland in TX City) or Galveston College have anything.

Last edited by jenjen; 02-07-2011 at 06:08 PM.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Honestly, I would consider waiting it out if you aren't able to stay with someone out there between days. The program will still be there when you can stay closer. Do you also have a job? I currently have to drive an hour and a half to my program each way. Mind you, it's only a commute that I usually make once every 3 weeks because it's mostly distance, but honestly, just that drive alone kills me.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #8  
Hungry Hungry Dancer

I am self-employed. I am not considering moving in or near Austin..probably ever again..I don't mean to say that it is not a beautiful and fun city..I just hold some bad connotation toward the place, unfortunately.

BUT....I checked for classes at Leisure Learning here in Houston, as previously suggested...and they have a few classes......so I will be taking those first and see if I would like to continue.

Thanks everybody

Last edited by blueballerina; 02-08-2011 at 05:38 PM.