Weight Loss Support - need suggestions on how to overcome a weightloss plateau

HappyChick86
02-07-2011, 04:14 PM
I have read many articles on what I should do to overcome my weightloss plateau. I would like to hear from those who have actually conquered their plateau. Of course the first 30 lbs was very easy for me and now I am stuck. I have put myself back on the routine I should be on and have been going to the gym almost every day. Of course due to my job its been very hard to do but I am slowly picking back up. I cannot say that what I am doing will not help me overcome, because I am just starting back up but I would still like to hear some stories. Also congrats to those who are losing! Good job and keep it up!

marie81
02-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I am exactly the same I have been stuck in 188lb now for 3 weeks.. aarrggghh I am uping my exercise and cutting out meet to try and get things moving again.
Good luck and if you find away please let me know :)

QuilterInVA
02-07-2011, 04:50 PM
You are not considered to be on a plateau until you have been the same weight for 6 weeks. You can break it by changing what you are eating and upping your exercise and change the exercise you are doing.

seabiscuit
02-08-2011, 03:44 AM
I felt like I was at a plateau or staying around the same weight for awhile, and what helped me lose a little weight to get beyond that was writing my food down, eating less and exercising more.

Good luck!

Heather
02-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Plateaus are a normal part of weight loss for many. And it seems like there are a couple of schools of thougtht.

1) Sometimes the plateau is self-induced. Meaning that you're eating a little more (or exercising a little less) and are eating enough to maintain. This can be a tricky because we often don't want to admit it... (I have been guilty of this)

2) You just aren't losing fat. Or you're losing fat and gain a bit of water or muscle so the scale stays the same. While it's pretty impossible to figure out what breaks the plateau in the absence of good experimental control, changing things up is not a bad idea, and sometimes at least makes us feel we're doing SOMETHING... may make us less likely to give up.

Good luck!

Hopeful8
02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I hit two plateaus during my weight loss. The first was a few weeks and the second was for almost 2 months. The only advice I have is to stay OP and keep exercising and you'll push past it. Your body and mind will eventually break the plateau and you'll be cruising again in no time.

GettinFit
02-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I just experienced this too. I was stuck at 217 for over 3 weeks and I just broke through to 214. I did exactly what Quilter, Seabiscuit & Hopeful recommended. I ate a little less, upped my exercise, drank more water, watched what I snacked on, added some fish to my menu's and the scale has finally gone down 3 pounds in the last few days. I also took my measurements at the beginning of my journey so I could see that I was losing inches and this kept me motivated to say OP even when the scale wasn't going down.

Hang in there and you will start losing again.

HappyChick86
02-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks everyone. These hints are very helpful. I feel like i should be upping my exercise a bit and watching what i eat. Thanks again.

Katydid77
02-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I just experienced this too. I was stuck at 217 for over 3 weeks and I just broke through to 214. I did exactly what Quilter, Seabiscuit & Hopeful recommended. I ate a little less, upped my exercise, drank more water, watched what I snacked on, added some fish to my menu's and the scale has finally gone down 3 pounds in the last few days. I also took my measurements at the beginning of my journey so I could see that I was losing inches and this kept me motivated to say OP even when the scale wasn't going down.

Hang in there and you will start losing again.

In my experience, when you hit an extended plateau on the scale (and aren't cheating) the body is almost always reorganizing and adjusting the weight.

Every trainer/weight loss guru in the world will tell you that if you aren't seeing a number change on the scale, then take your measurements and see where you are at. MOST of the time, that is when you lose the most inches.

Like the wonderfully complex machines that they are, our bodies will sometimes take the time to recalibrate what it going on and reorganize everything.

That is one reason why we tend to get more "you're losing weight!" comments at the times when WE think we've hit a stall. :D

stacygee
02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
If you have been following a strict plan... change it for a day. or have a cheat meal to surprise your body.

I am low carb and low calorie. When I had a plateau my traner had me have a "carb". But when you increase your carbs your need to decrease your fats.

Or every two weeks I have a "cheat" meal. Hamburger with bun and beer. My cheat meal of preference. Pizza will be this weeks. It shocks your body. You may go up a pound for a day then you should whoosh down.

luciddepths
02-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Measure measure measure! It's almost been 4 months to lose 11 pounds but lost inches! At least 2 inches! The most important!

HappyChick86
02-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Good advice with measuring. I totally agree Katy, people kept complimenting me on losing even though i hadn't.