Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Talking 5K at 6.0

Forgive me while I brag a moment!

It has been my goal to run a 5K at 6.0. I've been working at it a while now, but the most I could do at that speed was a mile and a half.

Our spin instructor issued us all a challenge last week to run through February. She said casually that she wanted us all to add a 30 minute 5K to our cardio routine before class. She later modified her challenge because I think more than a few of us were bug eyed. LOL! But if you issue me a challenge, I am just dumb enough to accept it!

So this morning, I was determined to run her 5K in 30 minutes and I did!!! And two of those miles actually felt good. LOL!

And then I fully participated in spin class!!

And then I really wanted to go back to bed!

Last edited by Eliana; 02-07-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

WOW...that's AWESOME!!!

For the record, I would have snuck out through the back door after that announcement! LOL!

Way to go!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My first sub-30 5K (and really, you're so close, you just have to sprint a bit at the end) was so empowering and exciting for me! It's wonderful to set a goal like that for yourself and meet it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post

My first sub-30 5K (and really, you're so close, you just have to sprint a bit at the end) was so empowering and exciting for me! It's wonderful to set a goal like that for yourself and meet it.
You know, come to think of it, I was doing it every time I ran outdoors this past Summer, so I guess I could already do it. But I find it so much harder on the treadmill! I run faster outside. I wonder how fast I'll be this Summer!

And you're right...I should just speed up a bit at the end!

Next run I'm planning to run intervals at 7.0 and 5.3 (the 5.3 being my preferred speed). I figure that will make 6.0 a comfortable pace for me. I am not there yet.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #5  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Wow, Eliana, that's impressive! I don't know if my legs could get through a spin class after running 3 miles!

I'm running my first 5K in April. I've been slowly increasing my distance and yesterday ran 2 miles continuously but EXTREMELY slowly - 4.5 mph. I was having trouble increasing my distance @ 5mph, so I decided to drop the speed and work on distance. Once I get to 3 miles in a month or so, I'll slowly up the speed.
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Eliana, can I just say how in awe I am of you and your fitness level? I just saw your post on the Feathers forum about being heavy for your size (and I completely get that, I do), but anyone who can run 3.1 miles in 30 minutes is WAY more fit than any number on the scale would indicate.

In fact, I have to say you're making me think more about giving running (another) try. I've done it halfheartedly in the past, but it just wasn't fun. But that was several pounds ago, so maybe I'd enjoy it more now . . . in any case, it seems to be good for achieving personal goals!

Congratulations!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #7  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Eliana That's Awesome! on doing 5K at 6.0!
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natamars View Post
Wow, Eliana, that's impressive! I don't know if my legs could get through a spin class after running 3 miles!

I'm running my first 5K in April. I've been slowly increasing my distance and yesterday ran 2 miles continuously but EXTREMELY slowly - 4.5 mph. I was having trouble increasing my distance @ 5mph, so I decided to drop the speed and work on distance. Once I get to 3 miles in a month or so, I'll slowly up the speed.
That's how I started, almost exactly. I went for distance first also. Then I found that running faster than desired intervals slowly increased my base running speed. At the beginning 4.5 was comfortable, but after running a minute here and there at maybe 5.3, soon 5.0 became my comfortable number. Now 5.3 is my preferred speed. I'm going to shoot for 7.0 intervals now in hopes of making 6.0 my preferred speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post
Eliana, can I just say how in awe I am of you and your fitness level? I just saw your post on the Feathers forum about being heavy for your size (and I completely get that, I do), but anyone who can run 3.1 miles in 30 minutes is WAY more fit than any number on the scale would indicate.

In fact, I have to say you're making me think more about giving running (another) try. I've done it halfheartedly in the past, but it just wasn't fun. But that was several pounds ago, so maybe I'd enjoy it more now . . . in any case, it seems to be good for achieving personal goals!

Congratulations!
LOL! I am so not a runner! I have not fallen in love with it. But you're right about it being great for achieving goals. Definitely! Spinning is my favorite "sport" but I don't exactly achieve goals in it anymore. That's why I keep the running, I think. I am able to keep challenging myself.