Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Default Could running cause my bruised toes?

I've been trying to get into the habit of running for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, about 3 or 4 days after the very first real run, I noticed a purple bruise under my toenail near the side. Today I ran a 4 mile race (well, walked/ran) and both of my toes look like they're going to bruise around the cuticle and a little bit on the outer sides. My pinkie toes are also sore from the run.

I use good shoes, but the truth is most shoes make my feet ache. I've probably tried hundreds of shoes over the years, and my toes/feet always hurt. I don't have wide feet, I've been professionally sized numerous times.

A friend of mine told me to try the Vibram FiveFingers shoes. The ones that have individual toes on them.

Have any of you had issues with toe bruising or using the FiveFingers shoes?
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #2  

You've got (or are getting) black toenails.

For some runners (me included) it just comes with the activity. The Fixing Your Feet blog (fixingyourfeet.com) will help you treat them when/if they become painful-- but seriously seriously seriously consider turning off images in your browser before you go there if you're at all grossed out by scary feet.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Maybe your toenails are too long...try cutting them low. Did you get your sneakers from a true Running Store? If not...I'd recommend getting fitted for a new pair at a specialty store...not Lady Footlocker,etc...

Here's to having HAPPY FEET!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I have hated shoes my whole life - I have never found a pair that feels good on me. So I did get the Vibram 5 fingers and have used it to run and walk on the treadmill. No pain at all!

I got them late last fall, so I haven't worn them outside, just on the treadmill, but I love them!

My friend just ran a marathon and said that he was shocked by the number of people wearing them to run the marathon.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

There were a lot of people wearing them in the race I just did. There were even a few barefoot runners. (In VERY cold, rainy weather!!!)

Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to check out the websites offered.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/210/150

Height: 5'6"

Pint- did you run in the Krispy Kreme Challenge? And if so, did you eat ALL the donuts o.O? And if so, did you puke?!? When I was looking for a 5k to run I saw that, and was amazed (and a little nauseated). I'm in Raleigh, btw.
Lily In Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I lost three toenails while hiking last fall, going downhill, with my toes hitting the front of the hiking boot.

I taped up my toes -- put little caps on them -- and that worked well. As did clipping back my toenails. Also, now I know to wear heavier socks with padding. What I need are shock absorbers between the toe & the boot.

How are your socks & how long are your toenails?

Last edited by saef; 02-07-2011 at 11:14 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #8  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I have MAJOR toenail problems because of running. They really don't hurt, but are quite ugly so I just deal with it. It's only an issue in the summer when I want to wear sandals. I'll certainly check out that site because good shoes and short toe nails are not doing the trick.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

When running you should always buy your shoes at least a half size bigger to one size bigger... I've been running for 5-6 years and have never had this problem but I kow of people who have... Definitely get fitted at a running store too, they should also recommend to wear a half size larger......
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #10  

I take care of my feet and keep them dry, comfortable and warm.
My grandmother taught me how to have healthy feet when I was a little kid.

I wear rounded toe shoes with a lot of wiggle room for my toes.
And I keep the nails short. I make sure I have 1/2" of exra shoe length for my toes.
They never hit the tip of the shoe anywhere.

I have strong arches from walking barefoot most of the time when I was a kid, so I don't need arch supports.

And I put medicated powder in my shoes almost every day...so I don't get foot fungus or bacteria that make stinky feet.
I grow and make berry juice of all kinds. I drink 8 ounces of my juice daily to keep my finger and toenails thick and strong. Berries make strong nails and help keep cholesterol and blood pressure normal.

I NEVER wear socks unless it is sub zero weather or I am walking or running a long distance and might get blisters.
And then I keep them in my pocket and car just for emergency use if I have to walk for help in very cold weather.

I buy only leather or cotton canvas shoes. Leather sandals also in summer.
I wear shoes only when I leave the house.

I wear only real sheepskin slippers in the house if my feet get cold. They wisk away moisture.

I have never had bruised toes unless I dropped something on them. Maybe something I am doing might be of help to you.

Last edited by JOLINA; 02-08-2011 at 09:52 AM.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote