Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 09:47 PM   #1  

Angry Firbomyalgia #80

Marlene - Don't worry about it, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get on with it. You didn't let anyone down other than, maybe, yourself. You will succeed for next week.

Melissa - FM is such a hard thing to deal with and I sure don't envy you having to look after kids as well. I started on the Atkins diet(low carbs) after trying ww from Feb-June. I had lot only 9 pounds in all that time, and I was sticking to those points. Since I started on Atkins, I have been feeling so much better. The crushing fatigue is not a big deal for me any longer. Also, my pain levels seem to be less. Today I had bacon and eggs for brunch, then I had a handful of piggy puffs and for supper I had a steak, wrapped with bacon and a salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and salad, with mayo. and a little dill pickle juice, served on lettuce. I am full and I don't think I will need anything else to eat today. If I find I am hungry, I might grab a piece of cheese.

I don't spend all my time thinking about food, because I just don't crave anything and I am satisfied. Being on a good diet (meaning not too much sugar) will certainly help your pain levels. I think that all of us can attest to that fact, on whatever diet we are on. I think wheat might also be a problem. The other thing that is great, is that this diet has eliminated the irritable bowel syndrome as well. To many good things to want to give it up.

Hi Anagram, Joanne, Meme. When were Mima and Candice supposed to be back? Ally doesn't even know she isn't the baby any longer

Ok, now for my GOOD news. I got on the scale this morning and at last I dropped 3 pounds. I am overjoyed!
Old 12-03-2002, 10:18 PM   #2  

thanks for ur comments... u know whenever i did atkins even if it was for a few days the fatigue always went away and i didn't find myself craving so much for carbs as i do on ww but one thing i did notice and makes me stop every time is a pain in my lower back that i get...i find it so hard to get out of bed in the morning and if i stand in one spot for any length of time like washing dishes or standing peeling veggies so i don't know what to do i do feel better on atkins than on ww on ww i find myself eating things i wouldn't on atkins cause it is ok but then i over indulge so there goes the weight again i am really thinking of what i should do in the am now atkins or ww atkins or ww atkins or ww.....
Old 12-03-2002, 10:25 PM   #3  

Default Marlene

I also have BIG problems with my lower back, but not only on Atkins. I get muscle spasams going. If you know for sure you don't have any kidney problems, then just increase your potassium levels. That helps. I was getting Charley Horses and jumping out of bed int eh middle of the night. The extra Potassium helped that a lot.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:27 PM   #4  

Angry

Dear Santa,
> >
> > I've been a good mom all year. I've fed, cleaned, and cuddled my two
> > children on demand, visited the doctor's office more than my doctor,
> > sold 62
> > cases of candy bars to raise money to plant a shade tree on the school
> > playground, and figured out how to attach nine patches onto my
> > daughter's
> > Girl Scout sash with staples and a glue gun. I was hoping you could
> > spread
> > my list out over several Christmases, since I had to write this letter
> > with
> > my son's red crayon on the back of a receipt in the laundry room between
> >
> > cycles, and who knows when I'll find anymore free time in the next 18
> > years.
> >
> > Here are my Christmas wishes: I'd like a pair of legs that don't ache
> > after
> > a day of chasing kids (in any colour, except purple, which I already
> > have)
> > and arms that don't flap in the breeze, but are strong enough to carry a
> >
> > screaming toddler out of the candy aisle in the grocery store.
> >
> > I'd also like a waist, since I lost mine somewhere in the seventh month
> > of
> > my last pregnancy. If you're hauling big ticket items this year, I'd
> > like a
> > car with fingerprint resistant windows and a radio that only plays adult
> >
> > music; a television that doesn't broadcast any programs containing
> > talking
> > animals; and a refrigerator with a secret compartment behind the crisper
> >
> > where I can hide to talk on the phone.
> >
> > On the practical side, I could use a talking daughter doll that says,
> > "Yes,
> > Mommy" to boost my parental confidence, along with one potty-trained
> > toddler, two kids who don't fight, and three pairs of jeans that will
> > zip
> > all the way up without the use of power tools. I could also use a
> > recording
> > of Tibetan monks chanting, "Don't eat in the living room" and "Take your
> >
> > hands off your brother," because my voice seems to be just out of my
> > children's hearing range and can only be heard by the dog. And please
> > don't
> > forget the Playdoh Travel Pack, the stocking stuffer this year for
> > mothers
> > of preschoolers. It comes in three fluorescent colours and is guaranteed
> > to
> > crumble on any carpet making the In-laws' house seem just like mine.
> >
> > If it's too late to find any of these products, I'd settle for enough
> > time
> > to brush my teeth and comb my hair in the same morning, or the luxury of
> >
> > eating food warmer than room temperature without it being served in a
> > Styrofoam container. If you don't mind, I could also use a few Christmas
> >
> > miracles to brighten the holiday season. Would it be too much trouble to
> >
> > declare ketchup a vegetable? It will clear my conscience immensely. It
> > would
> > be helpful if you could coerce my children to help around the house
> > without
> > demanding payment as if they were the bosses of an organized crime
> > family;
> > or if my toddler didn't look so cute sneaking downstairs to eat
> > contraband
> > ice cream in his pyjamas at midnight.
> >
> > Well, Santa, the buzzer on the dryer is ringing and my son saw my feet
> > under
> > the laundry room door. I think he wants his crayon back. Have a safe
> > trip
> > and remember to leave your wet boots by the chimney and
> > >come in and dry off by the fire so you don't catch cold. Help yourself
> > >to
> > >cookies on the table, but don't eat too many or leave crumbs on the
> > carpet.
> >
> > Yours Always,
> > Mom
> >
> > PS--One more thing...You can cancel all my requests if
> > you can keep my children young enough to believe in
> > you.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:29 PM   #5  

good idea in fact i will be getting my blood checked next wed and i will see how my potassium is doing but until then i will up it i had a micro albumin test done last time and it was in normal range in fact everything was one year i had that 24hr mirro albumin test done and it was abnormal and then they thought i had bone marrow cancer and put through alot of tests which were very painful and nothing was wrong with me i think my lower back hurts due to the weight i carry in the front of me..but i will keep a close eye on it thanks ur great
Old 12-04-2002, 03:13 PM   #6  

Default Hey

Boy Oh Boy - Christmas is coming early to this house...I got a new stove this week from my son . I got a Memoryfoam mattress top from my daughter today. and I have convinced my hubby I need a new set of pots and pans to cook with.
The best way to fight the weight is find a good plan that you can live with and do it. Don't give yourself excuses .That won't work. We all have to make healthy living a way of life. Losing weight and getting healthy is not just temporary ,it is forever. Involve your whole family in your routine. You can do it!You will find that you hurt less as the weight comes off.
My son has moved. Almost. We are still taking things of his to his house. I love it. ...
Bye.Joanne
Old 12-05-2002, 06:15 AM   #7  

Thanks for your support, Ladies. Will continue to need it and all the prayers we can get.

Dh is in intensive care, has received so far 9 units of blood. Complex situation involving bloodthinners, kidneys, etc. (Joanne, hemo was down to 4 at one point).

Anyway, sorry no time for anything but a quick post. Will probably be gone for a while.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:35 AM   #8  

Hi guys-I, m back-quickly read posts and I'm so sorry for you and your husband, Anagram. Let;s all pray!!!!I CAN'T GET ON THE SCALE!!!!!!!Gained weights big time but what a wonderful trip and cruise! The cruise was laid back but of course you were force fed. Good thing is Brad is going to diet also. I'll probably end back in weight watchers but I'm going to work next week. All my kitchen stuff is in the living room and our carpenter is not done yet!! No stove, electricity in the kitchen!!!!But who cares. OUr trip in a nutshell-Train to New Orleans-had a teeny room with fold up sink-arrived in NO Friday night-hotel room on 3rd floor no elevator-girl helped. Some things from makeup kit fell in toilet so we found a Walgreen's SAt am-got on the boat at noon-stopped at Oak Alley, St. Francisville, Natchez, Vicksburg, and Baton Rouge-Thanksgiving on the boat-wow!!!-back in NO sat, morn-did some waliking to the French Market etc-got tickets for tour next day-Sun-went to mass at oldest cathedral in US-bus tour-bus to City Park at night to see christmas lights-train to Chicago on Mon. rough ride -little sleep-couldn't find way around in Chicago so we spent most of day waiting for train-left Tues night and slept in coach-not too bad-train 2 hours late last night and car locked in garage because I told Brad wrong date. Guy got car out while we ate dinner!!!and got home at 9-Except for the train ride home, it was great, memeorable etc. Now back to real life!!!!!!And we khave laughs to remember!!!Mima
Old 12-05-2002, 06:53 AM   #9  

I'm back from my trip and worn out..but slowly getting things done for Christmas. Put my lights up outside and got all my Thanksgiving stuff down outside and in, so now to dig all that other stuff out! Why do we bother............oh I know I like looking at it but hate to put it away! Still digging out presents to wrap too. Oh my cards are sent out too......now we have my sons BD next week to celbrate and then on to Christmas...I'm running on no sleep and the anxiety is high but eating ok for now!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate having the flu and it has been awhile..knock on wood. My sis had the stomach flu over Thanksgiving and we were all afraid we would get it but so far so good!:

Last edited by Candicej; 12-05-2002 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:53 PM   #10  

Default Hey There

Anagram- You and your hubby are in my prayers.. Keep in touch when you can...Joanne
Old 12-05-2002, 07:00 PM   #11  

Also in my prayers, Anagram. Hope he feeling better. Let us know how you are doing when you can.

Mima and Candice nice to have you back.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:15 AM   #12  

Hi gys-slow down Candice-one day ata time-puting kitchen back together today=crisis yesterday-Brad's mom fell again and was in hospital and they were going to send her home alone-after many phone calls-sister straightened it out with social worker-Brad was the mediator-now when she goes home again, she'll have to have someone stay with her and she really would like us to take turns but....I would rather pay someone. Got on the scale-5 lbs more with rthe other 7 I've gained. Bad!!!!!!!!but we were good yesterday and now I know I have to buckle down. It snowed again yesterday-5th storm-and it's still going. Well-back to work-Mima
Old 12-06-2002, 09:32 AM   #13  

Default Hey There

Mima- Nice to have you back..It is so hard to get our weight under control this time of year. I am still 4 lbs over goal and now Christmas is almost here. I am always glad when the Holidays are over ,just for that reason. I don't have much control. I guess that is why I have the problem.
I am still not in the mood or have been successful in getting my shopping done. I hope your mil will do fine. I had that problem for many years. We put her in a nursing home where she lived for almost 7 yrs more. She was a very difficult woman and no one could do much with her. The Nursing home was on the verge of turning her out. I think that the only reason they kept her was I worked there. They put her on my floor where I was charge nurse. I thought some days I would lose my mind.
Hello everyone....Joanne
Old 12-06-2002, 07:54 PM   #14  

Default Hi

Well, I am still plugging along. Got one more gift to get. It was out of the way, so I will go pick it up next week, and then I will be done. Even got all the stocking stuffers (my kids are still young at heart ) I will wrap the stuff next week as well, then I will do a little baking. Sure not doing much. Didn't even make my Christmas Cakes this year because hubby and I are the only one's that like them, and we don't need them.

Now on to Atkins. I have now lost a grand total of 17 pounds and I am feeeeeeeling goooood!!! No cravings and no hunger, so that is a big bonus. Last night I made a cheese cake filling - Whipped cream and cream cheese sweetened with Splenda, and I topped it with Blueberry Pie Filling - just a tad and it is so good. It is the filling for my favorite cheese cake. It is not baked. Have been having those as well. Baked New York Style Cheese Cake - yummy!! I am not feeling the least bit deprived. In fact, I did taste some chocolate and I just didn't care for it.

Going to my daughter tomorrow. Have a babysitting job tomorrow night. It's her Christmas Party, so they will be out late. I will get to visit with my very favorite little person.

It is going to be busy from now until Christmas I think I have something planned for every weekend. Don't put the tree up until the 18 of Dec. or so and that is when I will decorate the house as well. My dining room table already has a Christmas runner and a beautiful Pointsettia on it. It is so fresh, and they sprinkled sparkles on it.

Sorry Candice, didn't mean to write a book.

Joanne - good to get your space back isn't it?

Mima - are you saying you have gained 12 pounds? Ah, ain't love grand

Anagram - I am hoping things are going alright for you and your hubby. You are in my prayers.

Meme - Where are You? Ally, you too - where are you? The snow got you socked in!

Marlene - Did you have a good week?

I hope everyone has had a good day.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:07 AM   #15  

Yappy........can I have the recipe for your cheese cake filling with splenda?????? 17 gone..you go girl!

boo hoo my VCR wil not eject my tape....I'm gonna have to trya nd take it apart..it is bugging me not working right!

Well the week started great in the eating dept and yesterday I could not eat all my points..only ate 10 total and today I was so hungry running errands that I ate two donuts and two cookies..blew my pts for the day so I had a can of Tuna when I got home! ( I did not take my usual food along cause I didn't plan to be gone all day!) Gotta get some rest before I fall over!) I ran off today and left the heating pad on.......my brain is going!
Closed Thread