Old 02-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #1  

Default Men love quick

All,

While all men love quick and tasty meals they do not necessarily like or appreciate "low-carb" and "healthy" ones, but there is more of a trend toward healthier meals, now with cholesterol awareness, heart health, effects of diet on pancreatic cancer, etc.

I am working on a truly tasty, low-carb, healthy menu and am starting here with:

Quick Italian Chicken
Main Ingredients
  • 2-3 Boneless skinless chicken breasts,
  • 4 tpsp. Italian Seasoning,
  • 2 TBsp. Olive Oil,
  • 3 TBsp. Garlic Seasoning (or 3 cloves fresh garlic minced or pressed),
  • 1-2 16oz can(s) of diced tomatoes,
In a skillet add 2 TBsp of Olive Oil, bring to high heat, add chicken and sear/brown on each side (to cook quicker slice the chicken breasts into strips less than 1/4 inch thick), add 1 TBsp of garlic and 1 tpsp of Italian seasoning.

Once meat is seared/browned, reduce heat and add tomatos and remaining spices. Saute for 10-15 minutes (10 additional minutes needed for unsliced chicken breasts).

Cooks Notes:
I buy my Italian Seasoning from Big Lots, which has a very good Italian Seasoning blend.

Optional ingredients for more taste would be:
  • 2 TBsp. Butter,
  • 1/8 cup Parmigiana Cheese,
  • 1/8 cup Feta Cheese,
  • 1/4 cup Romano Cheese,
  • 1 tpsp. Worchestershire Sauce,
  • 2 tpsp. Soy sauce,
  • 1/4 cup crushed pineapple,

You can experiment with the optional ingredients to get the exact taste you like, but since some of the flavors in the optional list are contrasting, I do not recommend add them all, just because there in the list.

Also if you are entertaining the idea of adding the crushed pineapple, then cut down on the diced tomatoes.

If you have a tasty, quick and healthy recipe that men love please add it, so together we collect a great menu of these types of men's recipes.

Thanks!

OMR

Last edited by OldManRiver; 02-05-2011 at 05:20 PM.
OldManRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Looks like a keeper, OldManRiver, thanks for sharing.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #3  

Default Working - Low Carb Tuna Casserole

BBE,

I'm working on finding/creating a low carb tuna casserole and working or inquiring with the folk on the low-carb forum at:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...le-anyone.html

Trying to springboard off what they submitted there. Problem is their carb to protein ratio is way to high, so trying to come up with those recipes, modified, to get another quick and tasty one.

Also I've been looking through the recipes at Emeril Live and Sugarbusters, but right now I found a new wine I love "Blackberry Wine" by Mogen David and trying to invent or envision a winning recipe with that as a main ingredient.

OMR

Last edited by OldManRiver; 02-05-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #4  

Default Another Quick and Tasty Chicken

All,

Just remembered another chicken recipe I originated that is in the quick and tasty category. If you know much about getting a salt taste into your food, you know that it is the acid that makes the salty taste, not necessarily the salt itself, but its acid. That is why a meat fried, grilled or broiled with something like lemon juice tastes plenty salty without any salt added. This recipe really plays on that.

Oriental Sassy Chicken
Ingredients
  • 2 TBsp. Olive Oil.
  • 2 Pieces of Boneless skinless chicken,
  • 1/3 Pint Soy Sauce,
  • 1/3 Pint RealLemon,
  • 1/3 Pint RealLime,
In a hot skillet, add the Olive Oil and let come up to tempature, then add the chicken searing/browning both sides. Reduce to medium-low heat. In a pint jar combine the liquids and pour over the chicken. Reduce until the liquids carmalize (turn brown and have a frothy boil). Turn the chicken, add one pint water and let the liquids reduce to same consistancy, when cooking is complete.

Cooks Notes
Really large breasts may need cutting or slicing or extra cooking time to ensure meat is cook through entirely. Cut the pieces in half at the end of cooking to see if meat in the center is cooked.

This chicken is really sassy, so may be too sassy to eat directly, depending on your tastes, but makes a great salad garnish or additive to other dishes needing chicken with a kick. I add it to Quessadillas, salads, and other dishes where its bold flavor really gives the dish that "BAM" flavor Emeril keeps talking about.

OMR
Old 02-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManRiver View Post
BBE,

but right now I found a new wine I love "Blackberry Wine" by Mogen David and trying to invent or envision a winning recipe with that as a main ingredient.

OMR

Why not use it as a marinade? I use wine to marinade my steaks before the BBQ. Put your steaks in a small pan, or small glass casserole. Put the wine in, enough to go about 1/4 to 1/2 way up the steak. On the top of the steak, rub in your spices, then drizzle olive oil over the top. Let steaks sit for your desired time (15-20 minutes) then flip over and repeat the spice/olive oil.

Otherwise chicken and meats love wine in a pan or wok. Just before you remove your protein, put the wine in and cook off the alcohol (watch the eyebrows..don't start a fire!!) What will remain is the great taste of the wine..both on the meat and in the sauce (if any).

Last edited by RRocket; 02-05-2011 at 08:25 PM.
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #6  

Default Beef Roast

PR,

I do like your idea for a marinade, so will look into trying to put one together that can be mostly used as a general purpose one.

Actually I got to thinking about the wine, recipes, and what I could throw together. Usually when you cook a beef roast in a slow cooker you add 1/2 cup water to start. I'm going to cook one this week and start with 2/3 cup of the blackberry wine, in place of the water.

I'm adding the extra volume because the alcohol boils off faster, so will need a little more volume. The recipe I'm going to use will be:

Ingredients
  • 2 lb Beef Roast,
  • 2 large onions - wedged,
  • 3 large carrots - sliced,
  • 2 medium potatoes cubed,
  • Seasoning (not sure just what I'll add yet),

Mentally and knowing flavors, as I do, I think it will be great. I'll let you know how it turns out.

OMR

Last edited by OldManRiver; 02-05-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

I basically lived on microwave dinners until late last year. I still have a hard time motivating myself to really "prepare" anything - but I have at least quit buying boxed meals to force myself to use real food.

Fortunately I'm not too picky about vegetables and nearly everything I've bought will get eaten. I just slice up whatever I have, put it in a tray, drizzle with egg white and spices... bake 30 - 40 mins and it's good enough for me. It's become an excuse to experiment with spices, and I have accumulated a couple dozen items now.

If I'm hungry and too impatient to prepare a meal, I may snack on grabbable stuff. Mini-tomatoes, carrots, whole grain bread, unsalted nuts, dried (unsweetened) fruit.

This diet has opened my mind that I don't need to starve myself. I mentally repeat that I can't circumvent the "principle of conservation of energy." If I'm not eating junk, then whatever plateau I'm on .... will break.

And it does. My tracking chart may look like a smooth line, but there were many 4 or 5 day periods where it seemed like nothing was happening.

Last edited by darway; 02-10-2011 at 09:43 PM.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote