Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #1  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Left (only) shoulder and wrist pain; keep lifting?

So I have an old injury (a partial tear in the labrum of my left shoulder) from several years ago that had stopped bothering me. A few weeks ago, when I tried doing ?push presses (from the NROL4W, stage 4), that shoulder immediately flared with pain, and hasn't let up since even though I haven't done them again. Now, anything I do that gets my arms over my head in a torqued way (Cuban snatch, wide-grip lat bar, etc) hurts during the weight-bearing phase. The outer aspect of my wrist has just started to hurt "in company with" the shoulder (I think I must be favoring the shoulder by doing something different with my grip on that side).

So, do I need to stop doing all weight-bearing exercises that use the shoulder (pretty much everything that isn't leg or core work)? If so, for how long? Do I continue to work through the pain and hope it heals on its own? Do I do my usual routines but with half the weight? Do I use dumbbells for everything, and use a lighter weight only on the left side?
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #2  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Bummer!

If it were me, I'd see a sports med doc, and follow up with a physical therapist if "prescribed." In the mean time, I wouldn't use it at all. Bad pain is, well, bad.

//b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #3  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Neurodoc: That must be really frustrating! Kim's right. Go make an appointment to get it checked out. Never work through that kind of pain. It will only cause an acute condition to become chronic and encourage a second injury to develop from overcompensation (I'm thinking about your wrist here).

On the bright side, you may learn so new approaches to help your current injury and learn something new that may prevent future flareups that you otherwise may not have known.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #4  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Hmm. I hate doctors; they never know how to fix something if it doesn't require surgery. :>)

But I suppose it can't hurt, and there's a good sports medicine clinic where I work.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote