General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

Height: 5'2"

Default Visit to London - some questions for the UK chickies

I'm going on holiday to London in a few weeks, and I am very excited. I've never been before, and there's so much that I'd like to do and see! I know that a lot of people here on 3fc are from the UK and that some live in or around London, so I was hoping that I could pick your brains for a moment or two.

I'd really like to get a hair cut while I'm in London (I've been apprehensive about getting one here since my command of Finnish is pretty abysmal), I'd like to eat some good Indian and/or Indonesian food, and I'd like to listen to some good music. So ... does anybody have any recommendations for hair salons, Indian or Indonesian restaurants, or pubs/cafes with interesting live music in London? Or any suggestions for things to do in general that I wouldn't find in a typical guide book?

Thanks in advance!
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Nienna

I'm going to London on Tuesday and one of the reasons is to get my hair cut by Ben in Islington. He's a precision cutter & has cut my hair for some time. It lasts.

I'll PM you his number, if you like.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #3  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Nienna, I am Finnish
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #4  

silverbirch, I'd love that! Thank you so much! He must be quite a stylist if you're willing to travel to another city for a haircut. What is precision haircutting, by the way?

Kristiina, where in Finland are you from? Do you still live here?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #5  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Not any more I was born and raised in Kuopio. I have been living outside of Finland since 1990. I do go back a few times per year, tho. My family still lives in Finland for the most part.

About hair. I LOVE getting my hair done in Finland. I am a bit of a dare devil, tho. You need to love color (red...lol) and some wild haircuts....

Where are you right now? Oh I envy you so!! -- You may laugh at that But i miss the bread, salmiakki, ice cream.....
Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #6  

Oh, I'm really not all that far away from Kuopio! I'm living in Mikkeli right now. I love it here so much; I can definitely see why you'd envy me! I just extended my work contract another year, but I'm already worried that I'm going to be really sad when I have to leave in 2012.

In regards to Finnish haircuts, I have to admit that I am really jealous of all the crazy hair colors. Part of me wants to get a bob haircut, dye my hair a darker brown, and put two or three bright purple streaks in it. But a) I'm not sure I can actually pull that off, b) I worry that I would regret cutting my hair, and c) hair dye just takes so much upkeep if you want it to continue to look good.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Although it's not specifically Indian cuisine, in fact it's actually a vegetarian restaurant, I'd thoroughly recommend eating at Manna. It's near Primrose Hill and the food is just gorgeous!

Hope you have a great holiday :-)
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #8  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Nienna, that is great! May I ask what took you there?

You are making me feel home sick. -- We have plans on moving to Finland in 3 or 4 years time. U of Helsinki has a program that my daughter wants to do. Climatology. And my son wants to be a doctor. -- Since they are citizens, they can study for free.

Husband would love to live in Finland as well. We almost moved there 2003, but after 9/11 companies were not very willing to relocate people over seas.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Height: 5'5

There's always the top notch places like Sassoon and Toni and Guy, but I don't know what your price limit is.

As far as Indian food goes, there's an amazing place called Incian Ocean in Holloway. My parents have been ordering Indian takeaway from there since I was a kid and it's gorgeous.
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

I have a Fab hairdresser in Soho its studio 12 on Dean street its a one man show but he is fantastic and doesnt cost the earth like other westend hairdressers.
Brick lane is the place to go for indian and asian foods thats in the east of london well worth a vist.
For music it all depends what you like but Camden Town is amazing for up and coming artists and live music. Vauxhall of you are more of a raver

Hope you enjoy london I love it!!! only NYC could tempt me away

xx
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote