Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/241/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Pros/Cons New Plan vs. Momentum

Hi all!
I was hoping you all could give me the pros&cons of each plan.I have Momentum books,scale&calculator.But thought since WW is switching everything to this new PP idea that I would order a new at home kit,which I have done.Just haven't received it yet.

Now I'm reading some people are having problems gaining.
I didn't want to debate just wondering everyones pros&cons of each.Oh on a side note I never got started on Momentum because I got pregnant dcided to wait until later to start and then what do you know now theres a new plan.LOL

Thanks in advance!
Blessings!
Brenda
homeschoolmom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I find that I make healthier food choices on Points Plus, especially since fruit is zero points.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #3  
Less of a Better Me

Points Plus

Gently nudges you to healthier food choices

Gently nudges you to food choices that are more filling

Each point is worth less calories (that is I had 23 daily points before, now 29) so there is more precision in counting points.

Personally -- I am losing way more on Points Plus than the old plan.

I find it easier to stay within my points. I sometimes struggle to get to 29 points and rarely go over. On the old program I always ate my minimum points and usually a few WP.

It reflects the most recent science. It was starting to bug me with the old plan that I felt that WW was touting a program that didn't reflect the most current knowledge regarding weight loss.

You can now use Activity Points before Weekly Points. On the old program you can't do that. To me it is more logical to use AP first (although you are allowed to use WP first...I like having the choice).

For many (most) people the fact that fruit is zero points leads to healthier food choices. That really isn't true for me as I'm more of a veggie person than a fruit person.

From now on, materials such as packages in stores and all WW materials will be using the Points Plus values. I'm already starting to see the new points on foods in stores.

Momentum

For some people (not you), they prefer it because they don't have to learn "new" point counts. If you are used to a food being 3 points you don't have to try to learn the new point count.

If you don't have the online calculator and you don't have the iphone calculator or you don't have the physical calculator and you are guesstimating points some feel it is easier to do with Momentum. (Personally I can usually guesstimate either Points Plus points or Momentum points within a point of being correct).

If you are a very heavy fruit eater, particularly of higher calorie fruit such as bananas, you may have difficulty with zero point fruit and may find it better to count fruit.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Great list by Koshka. I would just add as a pro on the Points Plus side that they got rid of that bogus big fiber adjustment that made no sense. Yes, fiber can still adjust the Points Plus value downwards, but it takes a LOT of fiber to do that. The foods that were pumped full of fiber to bring the Momentum points down can no longer game the system.
Shades of Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

I would give the new plan a try and see how it works for you. It will be so much easier to keep up with in my opinion because all of the new materials and new recipes that come out are in PointsPlus versions and you'd have to recalculate everything for yourself. I know a small amount of people have had problems with the new plan, but the vast majority are doing ok with it so hopefully you will too.

Edited to add, just make sure you don't combine the two plans together by accident. Anything that says Points must be converted to PointsPlus. We now have higher points allowance but most all point values in recipes and frozen foods also went up - sometimes by double!

Last edited by Jennifer 3FC; 02-06-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/241/135

Height: 5'5"

You all stated basically why I went ahead and got the new plan books,etc..
First of all the 0 point fruit and the points plus will be on all the products in the stores and on all the recipes.I was afraid I would get mixed up.So I said I better switch.Now just hoping I'll be able to get rid of my old books and things.I hope they don't change again for awhile.This can get costly.LOL
homeschoolmom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I don't think the plan will change in a significant way for awhile. Really, the original points calculation didn't change that much each year, except when they capped the fiber. They'll probably tweak it each year, but I think the points calculation itself won't change.
Shades of Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 240ish/180/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
I don't think the plan will change in a significant way for awhile. Really, the original points calculation didn't change that much each year, except when they capped the fiber. They'll probably tweak it each year, but I think the points calculation itself won't change.
My leader said the previous points program was around for like 10+ years? I wasn't a member then, but I would have to think they will stick with PP for awhile, with tweaks rolled out each year (to bring back old members!), but yes, I agree that it is going to be around for awhile
sfree13 is offline   Reply With Quote