Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #1  
always ready

Red face Should i do this?

OK so i have a plan t oet healthier but i want to say my situation first

i am a full time single working mom of a 3 year old that is going to school for respiratory therapy full time i work 40+ and school mon.-thru 5-930pm.

reason why im sayin this is becuase to go to the gym it has to be at 12am or 5 am leaving me 5 hrs of sleep inbetween. and as far as food im eating breskfest around 8am having SOME SORT of bar (speial k, nutral valley, ect,) around 10am then lunch at 12pm (salad or wrap) then another sort of bar at 2pm and then dinner at 4pm. wateer alll after that or a glass of milk if i get hungry but no food after 4pm and then the gym for an hr 5 days a week

MY QUESTION AM I DOING GOOD OR BAD IF I STICK TO THIS???? (plz mind i am barly home to cook meals and my job is in a mall all i have is food court food)
whoIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #2  
Here I come size 4!

S/C/G: 141/141/120

Height: 5'1"

I'm not professional, but I think it might be better if you ate supper a little later if possible. I know you have school from 5-9:30, but maybe between classes you can grab something. 4 is pretty early to not eat anything after, if you ask me.
MellowJello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Five hours of sleep per night is not enough and in the long run will have more negative impact on your health (including making it more difficult to lose weight). I know a lot of others will disagree with me here, but although finding separate time to exercise is important, it is not critical to losing weight. Changing your diet and how/what you eat is most important.

If you still do want to workout, how about instead of going to the gym to workout, trying to find some time day to fit your workout throughout the day? Maybe you can walk to work (or drive to a certain point and walk the rest)? Or maybe you can take walks around the mall during breaks or during lunch.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDuffer View Post
Five hours of sleep per night is not enough and in the long run will have more negative impact on your health (including making it more difficult to lose weight). I know a lot of others will disagree with me here, but although finding separate time to exercise is important, it is not critical to losing weight. Changing your diet and how/what you eat is most important.

If you still do want to workout, how about instead of going to the gym to workout, trying to find some time day to fit your workout throughout the day? Maybe you can walk to work (or drive to a certain point and walk the rest)? Or maybe you can take walks around the mall during breaks or during lunch.
I agree with this. If you have to choose between the gym and sleep - choose sleep. You can always do push ups and sits at home and then take a walk at some point during the day.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #5  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree with them. Plenty of time to exercise when your schedule lets up, and you can always work it in. Your child needs you rested, and your school work and job will suffer if you aren't sleeping.

I work 3 twelve hour shifts in a row. On those days, I leave the house at 6am and get home at 8pm. I don't formally exercise on those days, but every time I see a hallway I need to walk down, I go as fast as my feet can carry me. Look for little ways to speed up, take the stairs, etc, and get your sleep!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think a schedule like that is a setup for failure... The last thing you need is another source of stress in your life. Getting healthy can't be an add-on to an already over-full schedule that makes you suffer.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I think a schedule like that is a setup for failure... The last thing you need is another source of stress in your life. Getting healthy can't be an add-on to an already over-full schedule that makes you suffer.

Jay

Oh, how I agree with this...you can't burn the candle at both ends and stay healthy for too long.

I agree with everyone else, sleep is a VERY important component of weightloss; whenever I am trying my very hardest to lose weight, if I don't sleep well it's not coming off. The moment I relax, go to bed at a decent hour and wake up rested is when things fall back into place.

Best advice with what you posted as your schedule: Focus on food choices, save the exercise for Friday, Sat, and Sun if that works....better than trying to squeeze that in your already full week and also way better than nothing at all. And anything you can get in during the week such as walking to/from work or school, taking stairs etc would be good.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I work full time, have a 4 year old, and am in grad school full time (2 classes until 9/9:30pm, 2 online, which at least is a bit of a break). I eat during class sometimes, and sometimes I eat when I get home. As long as my calories are okay, I am fine. I don't prescribe to that not eating after a certain time because then I have a bad day the next day.Will your teachers let you eat in class?
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

If your goal is to be healthier then sleep is a huge portion of that.

From wikipedia: In rats, prolonged, complete sleep deprivation increases both food intake and energy expenditure, however a hormone imbalance is observed, leading to weight gain and ultimately death.

From: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates conservatively that each year drowsy driving is responsible for at least 100,000 automobile crashes, 71,000 injuries, and 1,550 fatalities.

You need to be there for your 3 yr. old. Get the eating in order and then when your schedule allows add in the gym. You do not have to be Supermom and do it all at once. You are putting too much pressure on yourself. Good luck!
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

That's a very difficult schedule. I would have to agree that exercise is definitely your bottom priority at this time (and I am a gym rat myself) if it comes between that and sleep.

Food court food is just terrible (I worked in one for years), if you are really stuck for time I would suggest some form of frozen meal to bring along (lean cuisine, etc). None of this is ideal but you have to make due with what you have. Many healthy foods - oranges, apples, nuts, skim cheese slices, diced veggies - can be packed quickly.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I agree with everyone else. You have A LOT on your plate (oops, no pun intended ). I would focus on your food, take some walks on your breaks around the mall or on your break at school, and call it good for now...you will see results. Good luck!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #12  
always ready

I kno im so difficult n thank u ladies for thr advice up untill a lil while ago Ididnt care about my weight enough said.TO MUCH ON MY PLATE bur im so sick of everone especially family talking n mockin me about my weight not that I choice to be this way I have no tim. Im teying to work it out hopefilly I do but THANK U LADIES UR AWESOME
whoIam is offline   Reply With Quote