Faith Based Support Groups - CHRISTIAN ENCOURAGERS February

View Full Version : CHRISTIAN ENCOURAGERS February

EZMONEY
02-03-2011, 10:23 PM
WELCOME :)

You've found a great place to come and vent, share or ask for prayer support. This is a great group who will be very encouraging, caring and loving....anyone is welcome to join!

A Servant's Prayer --

Jesus, My Jesus....How marvelous are your ways....
Far more splendid than my mind can envision.
What an honor to be chosen by you.
A lowly child I am, but empowered by the Holy Spirit to fulfill the great hope to which you have called me.
I give myself totally to you, Lord.
Take my imperfect heart and make it perfect.
Peel away the hardness.
Close the doors I have opened to the temptations of this world.
Gently remove the roots of painful memories, sins, doubts and fears.
Discard anything that separates me from you.
Lord, fill the emptiness with the light of your love that I might be a beacon calling the lost back to you.

To love as you love.....
To serve as you serve.....
To forgive as you forgive.....
Always mindful of my nothingness while doing great and marvelous things in your name and for your glory.
This I pray, Jesus, in YOUR name ...
Amen.

EZMONEY
02-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Not feeling well...dang guys got me sick at work just in time for the week-end..

lol...NOT!

I say there are 50 guys+ on the job at any given time and half are sick...no wonder I caught it.

Hope I can kick it over the week-end...tomorrow will be a long day!

I promise to catch up...pinky swear.....

ronni62
02-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Gary-I sure hope you're feeling better soon. It's awful to get these bugs, especially on your days off:p

We've had a nice restful day and I was surprised to see 2 more pounds gone on the scale this morning-woooooohooooooo! That's 6 since I got back on track a week or so ago! We've been told there's more snow on the way, so not sure if we'll be going to church tomorrow, but someone said something about some game with lots of funny commercials that we could watch tomorrow evening;)

So, anyway, obviously nothing's going on here-DH and DS3 are racing cars on the new big tv, but it looks more like a demo derby right now:lol: Making some steak and baked potatoes and salad for supper, so must go take care of that.......

Take care and have a nice evening!

bargoo
02-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Please pray for my ftiend Cissy. She is in hospice care, she has gone into kidney failure.

Bootsie
02-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Praying for all

EZMONEY
02-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Hi Gals ~

Well it's almost time for the Super Bowl...minutes away...and I still don't know who I want...lol...I have reasons to like and dis-like both teams! Hoping for a good game, I am sure by the time it gets going I will root for someone.

Watching the game alone...not a problem...as I have been sick since Thursday afternoon. I have finally kicked the 102 temp and have been at 99 most of the day. I will be going to work this morning loaded with dayquil!

I wasn't able to go to church today because of the fever but Angie went, brought home a bulletin and the sermon was online so it was almost like being there.

I will have a long week again with the 13 hour days of commute and work but I hope to check in daily.

Always in my prayers ~ Gary

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-06-2011, 10:13 PM
BARGOO ~ prayers on their way for CISSY and her family & friends who love her tonight -- for comfort, peace & love, etc ... :hug:

GARY ~ prayers going up for you and your cold/flu bug as well; as well for travel mercies too.

We had some ***** and now cooler temps for the night which is good as our Winter Carnival is on right now; but the temps have been nice for during the daytime so more folks will be able to participate, I think.

Just been doing stuff around home here as per usual; roast beef dinner with veggies (plus small new potatoes and sweet potatoes) for our dinner tonight. Will have leftovers tomorrow night too.

I have to go the dentist on Tuesday for a filling; and a check on another. Praying all will go well without any problems (nausea and such); maybe should take a gravol pill with me just in case ... ;)

Been reading some great historical romances to while away my evenings. Have a great week everyone ... Rosebud :flow2:

:wave: HI RONNI ... congrats on 2 more lbs; you're doing swell ...

PS: UPDATE ON PRAYER REQUEST ~ OK, I looked into that story I mentioned earlier; it was accurate and it wasn't at the same time. There were two persons who worked there who died (both were sick and both committed suicide, but not at the same time). One was a man about 2 years ago (we knew him & his family); the other was a lady on the day I mentioned (last week). There was some confusion becuz they were mentioned at the same time; and the layoff was discussed too. I think I will check the stories out myself in the future BEFORE I mention anything to anyone ... forgive that please! :?:

ronni62
02-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Bargoo-praying for Cissy and all her loved ones, including you:hug:

AuntLoopy
02-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi all!

Busy day yesterday, even more than most Sundays. My church has accepted a request to provide a monthly service at a local nursing home. (This is not connected to my work as a nursing home chaplain at a different location, which is supervised directly by my bishop as an evangelistic outreach.) So yesterday I led and preached at my nursing home's Protestant service, facilitated the Catholic service, did individual visitation with communion, then attended our church's Sunday service, then facilitated the new nursing home's service while teaching our pastor and some other members what to do. Cruised home about 4:30, feeling as if I'd been hitched to a draft wagon all day.

On days like this one, it's virtually impossible to get any healthy food into my body before mid-afternoon. Sundays are tough. My nursing home is located quite a distance from my home (it's less than a mile away from being in another state, LOL!), and my church is within walking distance of home, so the commute is a doozy. My lupus makes it tough to eat very much when I'm enroute, because of digestive issues.

I'm not complaining (okay, maybe a little bit), just recognizing that this is a special challenge for me.

When I got home, I ate a good solid meal, but the hunger didn't go away. Finished my Weight Watchers points at dinner, but remained hungry through the night, and woke up ravenous and still tired. I'm noticing that the continual hunger, which had been relieved after about a week on WW, is back as strong as ever.

Hubby says that I'm probably more mobile than many people my size (and definitely more than many people with lupus). I tend to be a fighter, just getting through whatever comes my way and not giving up. And I'm not giving up with my WW, either. Just trying to figure out how to make things work more smoothly on Sundays.

I weigh in on Wednesdays, because I have a mandatory dawn-to-sunset fast on those days (part of my ordination promises). So I have two days per week when eating doesn't happen until mid-afternoon at the earliest. That's an issue that most dieters don't have, and it's a challenge. But it also makes it obvious that God is intrinsically woven through the fabric of my weight loss efforts, and that's a good thing to remember.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-08-2011, 08:41 PM
AUNTY ~ I agree with your DH that with your very busy lifestyle, you probably are burning a lot of energy off, so that could leave you a bit hungry. I try to have a small healthy snack of some kind in the evening to keep my sugars balanced and so I don't wake up feeling sick in the night. It may just be something small like a piece of cheddar & 2 whole grain soda crackers with some tea; or a baked apple with walnuts (done in the microwave with cinnamon & splenda) -- just enuff to tide me over. I'm sure you could save a few points for the evening.

Maybe you could take some small healthy things for the day (for Sundays) like bananas, apples; or dried fruit & saltless Nuts; and a fiber or protein bar, etc. These are not bulky or messy; and you can have them and some tea for a quick break.

Had a busy day starting with my dentist appointment; thanks for any prayers sent my way -- it all went quickly and smoothly. I couldn't sleep last night from the anxiety; kept waking up or getting up almost every hour. I prayed for this young dentist beforehand; and he decided to do the work quickly for me and that worked great. Turns out I needed two fillings but he did them together -- GOD bless him ... I was out of there in a flash! :D

Then we went to do our weekly groceries and got some great bargoons once again. Bought some BBQ spit Chicken and had that for our lunch; and so we switched our lunch to our dinner meal (we do that often). We even have enough left over for tomorrow too.

The temps have fallen a bit but mostly during the night which is good for the ice; but we had lovely :sunny: all day today, making it a perfect day for going out for a ride. Looks like it will be good weather for our Carnival for this week(end).

Hope all our friends here are having a good week so far; take good care ... Rosebud :flow2:

EZMONEY
02-08-2011, 09:40 PM
PS: UPDATE ON PRAYER REQUEST ~ OK, I looked into that story I mentioned earlier; it was accurate and it wasn't at the same time. There were two persons who worked there who died (both were sick and both committed suicide, but not at the same time). One was a man about 2 years ago (we knew him & his family); the other was a lady on the day I mentioned (last week). There was some confusion becuz they were mentioned at the same time; and the layoff was discussed too. I think I will check the stories out myself in the future BEFORE I mention anything to anyone ... forgive that please!

ROSEBUD No need to apologize!
You spoke from you heart...we all prayed..God sorted it out perfectly!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-09-2011, 04:20 PM
THANKS, GARY ~ my DH was talking with a friend who works there; and he had said "That's 2 people who worked there that had terminal illness that took their lives" ... then they went on to discuss the layoff and that people had run out of UI benefits. The town has made two offers to buy the plant (for the workers) so they can reopen it, yet have received no response from the owners, who have turned the place over to liquidators; but they aren't giving up -- they will keep trying as this is a major employer in our town and too many people depend on it. Thanks for your faithful prayers ... :D

AuntLoopy
02-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Hi all! As some of you know, my DH works for a bank which was bought out by a larger regional bank, and this is the week when everyone gets notified whether they are to be laid off, or to continue with the new bank. Hubby and I were facing it reasonably calmly, because he only has one year till early retirement, and we could do without his salary for a year, and survive on his pension and our investments until Social Security kicks in. (He released me to God as a fulltime volunteer when I was diagnosed with lupus and wanted to enter the ministry. That was years ago, and He's met our every need.)

As it happens, they've offered DH a transitional contract through the exact month of his early retirement, in our area and at a higher salary. So we're okay here. But having read this thread lately, I'm reminded that it won't be an easy transition for many of my husband's co-workers. So please keep the employees of Wilmington Trust Company in your prayers.

I learned this while on my way to the nursing home on Wednesday. Then I faced a suicidal and very Catholic Alzheimer's patient who wanted to speak to a priest. Our Catholic chaplain recently passed away, and the local clergy just couldn't make time to help (this isn't a Catholic thing; once a clergy person of any denomination hears that a patient won't remember them the next day, they all seem to make excuses to not visit their parishioners for years on end!) So it took awhile to convince her that I'm a clergy member, and even longer to calm her down enough for the tranquilizers to put her to sleep. Then her roommate was confused and crying because of all the shouting; another hour for her too. A full day of regular chaplain stuff, then off to WW and feeling very certain that I was holding water after all the excitement (I tend to somatize emotional upheavals, and can gain a shoe size when under stress). But yay, I'd lost 0.8 pounds!

My job: eat 33 points per day, stay active, tick all the little healthy food boxes. Losing weight is not my job. Staying faithful to the Lord and the program is my job.

Quick fun chicken recipe: my mom is the assistant pastor of a church with a food closet, an avid Food Bank volunteer. The local Food Bank culls foods from the warehouse shelves when they are less than one month BEFORE expiry date. As we're all on Weight Watchers and not very picky about the dates on our stuff, the members of her church and my church have all benefited from some industrial-sized boxes of chicken which were too close to expiration for the Food Bank to distribute officially. Here's our no-added-points chicken sandwich recipe, which tastes best after it's been in the refrigerator overnight, and/or drained and mixed with fresh veggies such as tomatoes, peppers, and onions and marinated in red wine vinegar overnight:

Skin and debone some chicken, enough to fill a crock pot halfway or more. For a regular sized crockpot (I use a mini and cut the recipe in half), add three servings of low-sodium fat-free bouillon powder, a tablespoon each of parsley and onion powder, and a half tablespoon of celery powder or a teaspoon of crushed celery seeds. Fill with water to cover, then cook for three hours on high or all day on low. Leave in broth in refrigerator overnight, or drain in a colander and reserve brother, then mix and marinate sliced or shredded chicken overnight with vegetables (your choice). Lots of flavor; tastes like high-quality lunch meat with no added points and negligible sodium. The next day, remove fat from the top of the container, heat and strain the leftover broth to remove chicken scraps; then freeze; this is a great basic soup stock, or liquid for wok cooking, which freezes well for future use.

Sounds like hard work, but it isn't; just put it in the crock pot and let it cook. Then take off the layer of fat and strain the broth the next day and freeze it.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-11-2011, 05:10 PM
AUNTY ~ yes, these are hard times in North America for a lot of people: there have been a lot of mergers and lay-offs for sure. I sent up prayers for the workers at the Wilmingtom Trust Company. That's what happened here: a large multi-national company (KRUGER, INC) bought our plywood plant about 2 years ago, but the workers have been laid off more than they were working ever since they bought it. The workers would like to buy it themselves with the funds from their severance pay, but are worried that Kruger may not pay it to them; however, we are praying that they will do the right thing and honor their contract.

Your chicken recipe sounds great; simple and easy too. Like you, I like to put lots of herbs & spices in my chicken: the French Bouquet are my favorite -- GARLIC, ONION, CELERY, THYME & PARSLEY, plus BLACK PEPPER & a pinch of SALT. Sometimes, I add in a bit of poultry seasoning; and usually some carrots too (grated, sliced, or chopped). I also like turnip or parsnips with chicken or beef; they give the broth a nice twist. I like to add some onion, chicken, beef, or vegetable soup base to many recipes too (soups, stews, sauces, etc); they add a lot of flavor too.

Losing weight is not my job. Staying faithful to the Lord and the program is my job.

Ya, I believe that too! I just pray to GOD, "I'll do my best and you do the rest!" With his added strength, I can keep to the plan most days. I know that I am eating in a healthy manner, so I am leaving it up to GOD to heal my body so that it will release the excess fat & weight that I don't need ... ;)

Would you believe, I twisted my left knee somehow the other day; so DH had to pick me up some crutches to walk around with and they are helping (he got them at our local thrift shop for only $2.00; thank you, LORD). It is starting to feel better; and I hope it will be all healed up in a few days.

So I am just staying home and resting for this week; and DH is my little helper this weekend. He doesn't mind as I have helped him so many times when he was sick or hurt over the years (esp this past summer). He is even going to try and make dinner tonight; so I suggested hamburgers which are easy and he knows how to make them ... but I have to watch him though; he made me a coffee and almost put in double sweetener ... blech!!! :lol:

HEY BOOTSIE ~ are you alright out there; haven't heard from your sweet self for some time???

:wave: to RONNIE, BARGOO, GARY, and all our other MIA's out there (WILMA, KAREN, etc) ...

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend ... Rosebud :flow2:

ronni62
02-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi, everyone! We've had a busy day already, but winding down a bit now. DS2 came home for the weekend and we had to go to town to get his eyeglass frames replaced. They were brand new, but they damaged them adjusting them the first time:( So, we also went for breakfast at Denny's, but they were soooooo ssslllllooooooowwwww today. Then, to Walmart for a prescription refill and picked up a new paper shredder while there-those shredders seem to be considered disposable these days-the last one we bought was quite expensive, but has only lasted about a year.

Rosebud-you seem to be something of a chef and I've been wondering for quite a long time what spices, seasonings can be used in place of garlic for flavoring on meats, sauces, etc? I absolutely cannot use garlic because it causes migraines and nausea, but so many recipes call for lots of it. I've been using onions, but not getting the depth of flavor that we'd have if I could use the garlic also. What do I use?

AuntLoopy-love you 'job' motto:)

Well, must get moving to help the DH. ttfn!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-12-2011, 10:21 PM
RONNI ~ garlic does have a unique flavor; but a few ideas came to my mind -- like horseradish, ginger, or dry mustard (start with only about 1/2 tsp). I agree that onions which are in the same family as garlic are a good substitute but to make them taste more like garlic you need to carmelize them. To do that, you need to brown the onions on fairly high heat in some oil or margarine until they turn dark and a bit crusty; then add some water or broth to them to make your sauce.

You can also use Onion Soup Mix or browned flour for a richer flavor too. You can now buy browned flour or make your own (brown white flour in a dry hot skillet until it turns a medium beige color; cool). Soya Sauce and Hickory Smoke Sauce can add a nice flavor too. You can brown your meat as well: dredge beef or pork in flour and fry in oil until the skillet turns nice and brown, then add water or broth and stir up all that nice carmelized flavor.

Bootsie
02-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Hi Rosebud,
This old Texan been trying to live in the cold ,then my internet sever cut me off said I had to many hours, so I got another one and so afraid of being cut off again the outlook ministry uses a lot of my hours trying to do the Lords work and then run my business. Will be like this for 3 months then I just gonna be a member and want have to worry about my hours and will be back. Have to fix pipes been without running water for two weeks now. Been hauling in every day for 2 weeks, thank the dear Lord I had 2 Black tanks filled with water that did not freeze, it even blew up our pump looks like we throw 2 sticks of dynamite in the well house! Best go I just don't know how y'all make it in all that snow and the animals live. Stay warm..

EZMONEY
02-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi Gals ~ :)

Well I still have a runny nose and a small cough but for the most part I am feeling fine :carrot: My energy level is pretty much back from last week-end's flu that wiped me out for 4 days....whew!

I am resting this afternoon, having loaded my truck for the week and did some chores around here after church today. It is beautiful weather here :)

We went to church last night for a wine tasting fundraiser for our school science class. It was a great turn-out, Pastor and his wife sat with Angie, my sister, niece and I. One of our friends sat with us too...he is a wine snob ;) so he helped us all out with the tasting. It was a very nice evening.

Well this mutts wanna run :) Maybe I'll take them for a walk....be good :hug:

AuntLoopy
02-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi all! Wow, I thought that *WEDNESDAY* was a weird day, but wait till you hear what happened on Sunday!

On Sunday we have two church services combining all of the various sections of the retirement facility: a Protestant service at 10:00 (at which I preach), and a Catholic service at 11:00, for which I help the residents to get into the room, then make sure that everything is running smoothly before leaving for the church at which I'm a member of the altar team -- usually arriving there at about 11:15, just when the hymn sing is concluding.

A side note: Two months ago, the police were actively searching for a car matching the description of my 20-year-old turquoise Plymouth. Every Sunday for three weeks, I got pulled over by a different cop on the Interstate between the nursing home and my church (we're along Interstate 95, the main East Coast drug corridor in the US). So every Sunday I alighted from my vehicle, fully vested, to the consternation of the cops. Except for the one officer whose dog searched my car anyway, discovering a very nice turkey that someone had given me from their freezer for Christmas. It was probably the only time in history when a preacher growled at a dog...

This Sunday was a very strange day at the nursing home. I started preaching my "Not 1 Corinthians 13 for Valentine's Day" sermon, which compared the author's intentions and the readership of Corinthians vs. Romans, then demonstrated that while I Corinthians describes how our love for others should be, Romans focuses almost entirely on God's love for believers. Yes, it sounds boring, but for some reason totally unrelated to my extremely low skill level (since I was a non-preaching youth pastor before coming here), the sermon took off, and our "frozen chosen" elderly upper-middle-class ladies were weeping in the aisles. Early arrivals for the Catholic service were sneaking into the back of the room to see what the fuss was all about. I felt as if, for perhaps the first time, I'd gotten through to some of these dear old ladies.

So I hopped in my elderly Plymouth, dashed uneventfully across town on the freeway, then walked into the church where I serve as youth pastor and as a member of the altar team, praying for those who respond to the invitation to know Christ. I wanted to get there earlier than usual, as I had been tasked to make the souvenir silk rose corsages for a christening to be held today, and I wanted to be sure to arrive before the ceremony began.

I arrived to a bunch of glum-looking ushers, who surprised me by guiding me not to my usual seat on the front row alongside all the other team members, but onto the stage and the pastor's chair. The pastor was sitting in the extra chair, looking downright miserable. He asked me to lead the opening prayer and scripture reading, which I did. Then he explained to me and to the congregation that he had been caught by his wife with some "inappropriate" texts and e-mails on his phone. She'd not only left him on the spot, but emptied their bank account (because she works at the bank!), and initiated disciplinary proceedings with the denomination, and he was suspended till next Wednesday, when there will be a hearing. Because my cell phone doesn't work inside the nursing home buildings, I was blindsided!

So the baby got blessed, a new family joined as official members, and we got the service done with a minimum of fuss and not much comfort or joy. At the moment, I'm the acting pastor till this Wednesday.

Right now, everyone is in shock. People are taking sides. Hearts are being broken. I'm walking around like a zombie. I've never pastored a church before; I'm not even ordained to the office of pastor. I'm an evangelist, ordained to serve in an ad hoc capacity for any community which needs me, but not to lead a congregation permanently. (My three-plus years as the nursing home might be considered "permanent", I guess, but then again it's not a church exactly. I don't know about finances or any other church-y stuff. Luckily my mom is the assistant pastor of a small rural church, and she's coming here to assist me this week.)

So I'm boggled. Please keep us all in your prayers. My job today is to comfort the heart-sick, to keep my wits about me, and to eat 33 points and check off all the boxes. Somehow that is strangely comforting to me right now. Thank God for Weight Watchers. At least I can feel that something is still under my control.

EZMONEY
02-13-2011, 10:02 PM
WOW! LOOPY! Prayers God directs you in ways easily understood as you minister to your flock!

ronni62
02-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Goodness, what challenges for AuntLoopy and Bootsie! Praying for both of you. God will provide and I'm sure He has placed AuntLoopy right where He needs at this time. And, Bootsie, to survive the cold and snow up here, we are insulated and heated to the extreme!!!! 19" of blown-in cellulose in the house attic, plus whatever's in the walls, but we have an old house so there's not as much there as we should have. Our dog lives in the house with us. We notice that most of the farm animals stay inside the barns on the colder days and, here in our area, we have lots of those huge hog and cow confinement farms, where there are 500 head in huge barns, and they seem to be able to keep warm due to all the animals in there together. Our water mains and supply lines, as well as sewer lines, are buried at least 4 feet underground, as the frost line here is about 2 1/2 to 3 feet down. That's how it is here and we try to make the best of it, but I hate going out in the winter cold and snow (I'm originally from southern Indiana where we didn't get near this cold for near as long and kinda wishin' I was still there;)) I'll be praying for your water to be restored quickly!

Well, have a good Valentine's Day, everyone!

AuntLoopy
02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi all and Happy Valentine's Day! DH is preparing for a colonoscopy first thing tomorrow morning, so not much excitement is happening here, food-wise. I feel a little guilty for admitting that this is helpful. If he can't eat a fancy Valentine's dinner, then I don't have to, either. :o

I'm thinking about getting my weigh-in done for the week, just to get it out of the way. Tomorrow and Wednesday are going to be insane.

The good news is that we're finally thawing! Winter weather in moderate and coastal Delaware tends to be a mixture of ice and snow. Once it gets on the ground, it stays! And it's unpleasant and dangerous to deal with. We're above freezing today, and hope to stay that way for the rest of the week. My poor elderly dachshund (who has about an inch of clearance because he's so swaybacked) is finally getting out into the yard beyond the cul-de-sac that I dig for him every December. He's just dancing over the remainder of the snow, enjoying every minute of freedom.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-15-2011, 08:42 PM
BOOTSIE ~ sending up some prayers that your water will be restored as soon as possible. Like RONNI says, we have to build houses here with extra thick walls and lots of insulation; plus our pipes are down below the frost line as well. You can put some "electric heating lines" along your pipes, if needs be; sometimes people have to do that here too (esp if they have no basement). We suspect the pumps we use here are specially made not to freeze in the winter time. So our area is prepared for the cold; you were not expecting it to be so cold. On especially cold years, the same things can and do happen to some folks here, esp those in the country. The plumbers are busier during those times esp when people's pipes freeze. That happened to us in our old house -- my brother and I fixed that by bringing all the pipes inside the house and adding a second insulated wall behind the kitchen cupboards; even the "cold main pipe" came right into my kitchen where it was warmer. One mistake people make is packing the insulation too tight; it must be loose or the warm air cannot circulate properly around the pipes. I had an extra 12" of paper mulch insulation blown into my attic and in two of the coldest walls (north & west) which helped keep my heating bills down too.

Oh, our farm animals all go in a barn during the cold weather and our dear NIKO is a house dog too; most farms have a second well near or in their barns just for the animals, plus everything RONNIE said goes the same for here. Here, if you are on a set number of hours on the internet, they just charge you for the extra hours you use; and you can up the hours if you want to for a higher fee. I have UNLIMITED hours for $25.00 a month but you have to make sure they get it right. :hug:

AUNTY ~ sent up prayers for you as well as your minister, his family, and your congregation. Maybe your "LOVE SERMON" would help them all at this time too ... oh, and prayed for your DH that his colonoscopy went well today. :hug:

My left knee is slowly getting better; I am still using the crutches but they are helping me immensely. DH is being very helpful too. We have been having meals that are easier to make for the last week so I can rest my knee as much as possible, but I get up about every 60-90 minutes, and walk around for exercise and good circulation.

I have to go for a doctor's appt on Friday afternoon; hope I can get around good enuff at the time. We had milder temps here the last few days, but did have a bit of wind. So, I have been getting in a lot of praying, bible reading, praising, studies, and just other general reading too. I am running out of books, so will have to go to the library next week, I think.

:wave: HI TO RONNIE & GARY and all our other friends here; glad your cold is better this week, GARY. Take care everyone, and have a good week ... Rosebud :flow2:

bargoo
02-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Aunt Loopy. I sympathize with you . Our church had a huge shock a couple of years ago when one of our elders was arrested for child molestation. He subsequently pled guilty and is now in prison. It left the congregation reeling in shock. We spent a lot of time in prayer over this , tried not to talk about it outside the church and let the justice system proceed.

Beccajuanita
02-16-2011, 02:52 AM
Hi Rosebud,
This old Texan been trying to live in the cold ,then my internet sever cut me off said I had to many hours, so I got another one and so afraid of being cut off again the outlook ministry uses a lot of my hours trying to do the Lords work and then run my business. Will be like this for 3 months then I just gonna be a member and want have to worry about my hours and will be back. Have to fix pipes been without running water for two weeks now. Been hauling in every day for 2 weeks, thank the dear Lord I had 2 Black tanks filled with water that did not freeze, it even blew up our pump looks like we throw 2 sticks of dynamite in the well house! Best go I just don't know how y'all make it in all that snow and the animals live. Stay warm..

I will be praying for you.:hug:

ronni62
02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi, everyone! You won't believe the temperature here today-we're at 56F right now:D This little warm front has melted a huge amount of the snow, so now we can see over the piles and actually see the grass in a few areas of the yard:carrot: But, of course, it's supposed to cool back down tomorrow and we're expecting more snow over the weekend:(

We worked on cleaning in the basement and got a dumpster from the city to get rid of some stuff that was just sitting around down there. Did this so that we can be prepared in case the melt brings water into the basement, which was only a problem once in the 5 1/2 years we've been here, but don't want to take a chance. So, we have been running around outside without jackets for the first time in about 3 1/2 months!

Hope you're all having a great day-God bless!

AuntLoopy
02-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi all!

Ronni, it was so warm here in Delaware today that I found myself sweating while grocery shopping! Yay! More snow is forecast for next week, though.

DH went for his colonoscopy. He had a humongous tumor of the type which is normally malignant and well-supplied by blood vessels. However, by the time that the surgery happened (later in the same morning), the scope showed that it had detached itself except for a little thread of flesh and was dying. Whole lots of experts are calling this an unprecedented miracle. We're just grateful for God's provision.

Meanwhile, I was cheerfully evangelizing people who stopped to inquire about the knitting loom that I'd set up in the waiting area (it's an odd Dutchie implement which gets all kinds of interest from women of all ages and quite a few retired men, also). So ya know, it's the least that I can do.

Managed to get to WW on Wednesday morning. Lost another two pounds, though I expect to stay the same next week because it was a morning meeting, and I usually weigh on Wednesday afternoons.

Unfortunately, our pastor has decided to leave the denomination rather than submit to discipline. I don't like the direction where we're headed right now. I remain committed to my own denominational structure (a different one than the church's, where I serve as a "resident evangelist" while reporting to my own bishop), and this might be a sticking point. I'm leaving the result up to God.

It's been a loooong week, but Friday is almost here!

Bootsie
02-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the advice and the prayers . We got the water running and the tank is full, thank the Lord, was concerned about that for everything is dry around here. Our other pump is still out for the animals in the pasture but they still have a little water in a medal tank and the back tank has some water in it.
Auntie so glad for everything being alright with your husband. Sorry to hear about your Pastor.

My friend Jayne fell out of bed 2 days ago, hit her head is my understanding and she died this morning. Another friend told me last month I needed to call her and I did and we had a good conversation and I am so glad I called her.

Not much going on trying to get my garden tilled up but not getting to far on it starting seeds inside and ordered more seeds today . They say that there is going to be a shortage of food around the world so I plan on canning everything I can find, got a feeling things are going to get just tuff as rawhide.

Bootsie
02-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Geeeeeeeee! Rosebud I must of missed something! Are you doing alright? On crutches?

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-17-2011, 09:56 PM
HI BOOTSIE ~ I'm hanging in there; yes, last week, I twisted my left knee somehow. I think I did it during the night when tossing around in my sleep; I do faintly recall feeling a sharp pain and moved my leg. The next morning, it hurt when I got up; but that night I was having a hard time finding a painless way to sleep. I prayed a lot and by the next morning, it was starting to feel better. It has improved quite a bit, but I have to keep bending the knee; when I sit down for any length of time, it sort of tightens up and sore when I straighten it out. I tried using my canes, but that didn't help, so DH had to go buy me some crutches and they have helped a lot. I was hoping it would be OK by now, but I may have to let it rest for another week or so, we'll see. I get up every hour and walk around on the crutches to give myself some exercise and keep the circulation going. I have to go to the doctor's tomorrow anyways for something else, but hope I can get around OK and don't have to wait too long.

I am so sorry to hear about your friend; sent up prayers for you, your friend, and her family as well. I'm glad that you got to talk to her again. So glad you got your water going again too ... :hug:

AUNTY ~ sorry to hear what happened with your pastor; but GOD will send someone to replace him, I'm sure. WOW, so glad to hear such a positive outcome for your DH -- PTL!

RONNI ~ hope you don't get any flooding; good idea to get prepared ahead of time though ...

We also had amazingly warm temps here today; it even :rain: this afternoon and there has been lots of melting as well. The roads were almost totally clear, but we still have quite a bit of snow left. We even saw grass under the fir trees by our laneway. I think this happened once last year too, but not quite as mild; funny weather, eh?

I spent lots of time doing some things that I wanted to get done, like I posted some praise verses in the EMOTIONAL EATING THREAD. I had wanted to get that done and I had lots of time to work on it this week; taking advantage of all this free time. I also found 2 nice Christian books on my bookshelf that I hadn't read yet; both are chocked full of short funny stories; so that will keep me going for another week or so.

Have a fabulous Friday everyone ... Rosebud :flow2:

AuntLoopy
02-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi all! Just a quick note before I go offline at sunset. I don't think that I mentioned it earlier, but I just bought a preaching robe -- off the rack with no alterations! Before WW, I was going to have to make one myself. My Independent Living residents tend to be higher-church than I am (frankly, it's hard to be lower-church than I am!), and had been bugging me to start vesting for Lenten services. But I couldn't find anything to fit my dimensions in any of the catalogs. It seems that if you have a 52-inch chest, you're a 6'4" male!

Now these vestments are made for men -- it's huge in the shoulders but barely stretches over my hips, and for some strange reason there's a 12-inch slit in the FRONT of the thing which will need to be stitched down, since I'll be wearing it as a dress with just a slip and hosiery (at least until I lose a couple more inches at the hip and can put a skirt or leggings underneath it). But I bought it used for a dollar on eBay, it's in perfect condition, and my mom tells me that the manufacturer's catalog suggests this size for people 5'4"-5'6", and (get this!) up to 190 pounds! My 233 pounds are fitting into it for some strange reason, possibly based on women's smaller bone structure.

Anyways, the other gals in my WW meeting are all about rewarding themselves with jewelry and party clothes and other frivolous stuff. I can't quite get into that myself, being both culturally and theologically inclined to modest plain attire. But this is just so cool! I look like a real minister!

Yes, after all these years, I still feel like a fraud every time I step up to the pulpit.

Meanwhile, the item that I had on the knitting loom in the hospital waiting room was a purple stole for Lent with a big ol' white cross on it. They had to know what they were in for when they stopped to chat with me...!!!

I'll upload some pictures as soon as I start vesting after Ash Wednesday. And that's when I'll unleash it on the party girls at my WW meeting, too!

ronni62
02-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Bootsie-so sorry about your friend-will keep you and her family in my prayers:hug: Very, very glad you have water again, though.

Not much going on here-now they're talking about a winter storm watch for the whole weekend, so :p Feeling kinda depressed today, so DH is bringing home supper.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

bargoo
02-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Bootsie, so sorry about your friend.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-18-2011, 08:22 PM
RONNI ~ hope you are feeling better soon. We got that storm here already -- we went to the doctors, then to pick up a few groceries and something for dinner -- while we were at the cash, we look out and see a total white-out!!! We made it home OK as the wind was blowing the snow quite fast; and of course, as soon as we get home, it all but stopped. Of course, the wind has picked up again and DH just got back from a friends and it's snowing out there again. Just had to put the furnace back up too after all those above zero temps the last few days.

We picked up baked wings & ribs for dinner; and I had salad with mine too. That was nice for a change. So I went to the doctors and I pulled the muscle on the inside of my knee and the underside; gotta use the crutches for another 2 weeks and if it isn't better, then I have to go back to see the doctor again (may have to do some physio-therapy).

Oh, and I had some really GOOD NEWS at the docs today -- I had the lowest blood pressure reading ever (for me): 132/76, so I was quite encouraged that all this good eating & living is helping my health too. And on we go ...

Jeepers, last night I chipped my front tooth; accidently dinged it with my tea cup. :dizzy: Drats! DH said he wouldn't have noticed it unless I mentioned it, but of course being my front tooth, I noticed it when I was brushing my teeth tonight. Maybe the dentist can file it a bit for me the next time I go see him.

AUNTY ~ your new outfit sounds nice; now you should feel the part a bit more since you have the outfit for it too. Are you going to be doing a bit of preaching for awhile at your church too? Will send up some prayers for you concerning that if you like.

Hope all our friends have a wonderful weekend despite the change in weather; stay inside, keep warm by a nice fire (if you have one) ... Rosebud :flow2:

EZMONEY
02-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi Gals :)

Well I was gone most of the week again, and will be for some time, I will come home some days but I just never know for sure when so remember I am not ignoring you all...I just have no computer out of town and no way will I take Angie's laptop :D

Today is our Grandma Judi Chili celebration we have every year to honor and remember her life here on earth and reflect on all those loved ones of ours that have passed. It is usually a very happy day with chili and games inside and out with around 25 family and friends but today will be a little :( sad as my brother in law's aunt is being removed from life support this morning by my sister and her mil....Aunt val was always a part of our holidays/bbq's and Grandma Judi's celebration....today we will be reminded of WHY we do this...thank you Jesus! :carrot:

It has been raining here all morning and will be for most of the week I guess but boy we sure have had some very nice weather! The rain will be heavy at times but less as the week goes on.

Angie and I didn't get out to Starbucks with the dogs because of the rain, I did go get a haircut though and Home Depot and grocery shopping. We may go to the beach in the morning before church and have breakfast after a 4 mile walk with the dogs...as long as the rain stays away...then to church for second service at 10:30 because Angie will be playing bells tomorrow in that service...which means I miss the start of Daytona :(...;) I'll live :D

I will check in tomorrow but PRAYERS for all of your concerns!

EZMONEY
02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Well Aunt val passed on yesterday just before our Grandma Judi Chili Celebration. She will be missed! It was a very tough last two weeks for her.

Church was great....and Angie's bell choir was awesome! We had a couple of people out sick so a "professional" bell ringer and her husband filled in...WOW!!! what a difference! Cool...way cool!

Took the dogs out on a glorious afternoon for 3 miles after the Daytona race.

Well off to pack for the week...see you next Friday!

Prayers to all!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-20-2011, 11:06 PM
GARY ~ have a great week! You should video ANGIE and choir playing the bells and put it on Youtube so others can be blessed by them too ... ;)

Just having a quiet weekend at home; it's a civic holiday tomorrow in our Canadian province. The storm is over; we had lovely :sunny: today but the temps fell to -20C tonight. Gonna go put my legs up and finish a really good Christian book (a story about how people can pull together to overcome the worst tragedies in this life; after a whole town is wiped out by a tornedo).

Have great week everyone ... Rosebud :flow2:

Beccajuanita
02-21-2011, 02:54 AM
Sorry to hear about your aunt EZmoney:hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
:wave: HI THERE ~ well, we had another lovely :sunny: day today; it was around -10C but the sun was sure nice. We had a nice quiet weekend at home (and I am resting up my leg). I finished that wonderful book I was telling you about; and would definitely recommend it.

It is called GOOD HOPE ROAD by Lisa Wingate; and it is worth trying to find at the library or wherever. It was based on a true event (when a tornedo ran through Oklahoma City and area); with some of the incidents that occurred there. The rest of the story was terrific too with some very valuable life lessons and wisdom for all. Nice to have a true to life story with a happy ending that offers so much to its readers.

Hope everyone here has a nice week coming up ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ashley89
02-21-2011, 09:02 PM
ladies, hello. i'm new here. my name is ashley. Ive lost quite a bit of weight, but im asking for prayer requests please. I feel like i have been so committed to dieting that i have left God out of it. I do not want it to be this way. Please pray that i can stop being obssesive about weight and instead about GOD.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-21-2011, 09:13 PM
:welcome: ASHLEY ~ welcome to our Christian chat group over here, where we hope to become healthier becuz of our focus on the LORD. I spend time in prayer each morning doing a small devotion (THE DAILY BREAD) each day. It sets the right tone for the day. Each night, I read some scripture; often a PSALM, and do more prayers before retiring. This is a nice way to finish off the day.

Of course, we also say GRACE at home and pray at least once a day for our family and friends; plus I start my prayer day with the LORD's PRAYER: that is the prayer that JESUS shared with us in Matthew & Luke. You can be as obsessed with GOD as you want to be, I guess; this is one choice we can make, I think!

It's OK to want to make healthy lifestyle choices; just be sure to enjoy your life too. The LORD wants that for us too. Have a lovely week ... Ashley. :hug:

ronni62
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Ashley-:welcome2: Hope you find as much inspiration here as I have:) I don't know if others have found this, but I find that the better my eating is, the more I can focus on what God's plan for me might be (whether that's just for the day or a long-term plan). It seems I obsess a lot about what the next meal/snack might be when I'm not 'working my plan.' I take time to start each day in the Bible-right now I'm reading the Psalms all the way through-and take time for prayer with very little focus on myself and lots of focus on needs mentioned by others (here and on my church's prayer chain). Keep coming back here, too-I can't believe how much the friends I've made here have helped me in this battle.:hug:

Rosebud-well, our nice days are over. We got some ice, then some snow, then some more snow-not a lot, but very slippery. I'm sure looking forward to spring this year!

Due to the slipperiness of the roads, we are going nowhere today-not that I actually had anywhere to go, but it's always nice to think that we could go if we wanted to;) It's also very gloomy outside, so I'm just keeping the blinds closed and working on cleaning and organizing. Going to go put a roast in the crock pot with some potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery for supper and just planning a salad for lunch-I looooooove salads! Of course, there aren't many foods I don't like, so I just keep learning to eat what I like in moderation.

Well, must go work on that roast and veggies. TTTN! Have a great day!

AuntLoopy
02-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi all and welcome Ashley!

I went to the grocery store in a really disorganized state of mind today. I'd thought that we'd be snowed in, but it was mostly a dud. So I had no excuse to skip my usual Tuesday rounds of the dollar stores and warehouse club for non-perishables. (I buy my dairy, meats, and produce on Mondays.) I kinda surprised myself (pleasantly), because I remembered to get a couple of healthy things that didn't make it onto the list somehow. I'm getting ready to complete my fifth week on Weight Watchers, and it really is true that you can learn good habits (if not necessarily un-learn the bad ones!) in 30 days.

This time each day, the hubby and I start texting about what's for dinner. Used to be that we'd decide on which drive-thru to visit on the way home. Today it was, "Do you want the low-carb tacos tonight or tomorrow? Chicken and broccoli tonight? Pita pizzas on Thursday?" All homemade and full of veggies!

I just feel really grateful about this right now.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-22-2011, 05:44 PM
:wave: RONNI ~ it's interesting how we all have our own ideas about this topic, eh? And, I think they are all valid. I find the more I focus on GOD, the better choices I am making in every area of my life, including eating and other healthy lifestyle choices. The bible has a lot of wisdom to offer in this area; simple guidelines, but helpful nevertheless.

I agree about the MODERATION scripture; a good basic principle to live by ... "Let your moderation be known to all men" -- Philip 4:5.

While there are a few foods that I have to avoid or limit for health reasons (salt, sugar, simple carbs & dairy: lactose intolerant), I have learned to just relax and eat normal portions of healthy, yummy food for each meal & snack for every day. We eat our favorite dishes as well (just healthy versions of same). No obsessing; no anxiety; no worries; no problem! THANK YOU, LORD!

We have glorious :sunny: here again today; and warmer temps too (-5C). We will be getting some precip tomorrow though; a mix of rain/sleet, they say. Colder temps at night, but warmer in the daytime this week. Just another week and this month is over; and March will usher in spring right after that. I will be saying in March: spring is just one month away; well, for us up here anyways.

DH and I can't wait to get going on our cabin this spring; I am buying a futon so we can stay at our camper this year. I just hope we'll be warm enuff; but we want to give it a try at least. Now, I just have to get these legs stronger so I can help DH a little bit; but I'll probably just end up being a very helpful supervisor though ... :lol:

Hope you're all having a great week ... Rosebud :flow2:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-24-2011, 08:55 PM
:wave: HI EVERYONE ~ well, we have had some interesting weather up here; lots of beautiful :sunny: and today, we awoke to lots of fluffy ***** stuff on & off all day, intermixed with :sunny: too. It seems like such an amazing phenomenon to have big, fat fluffy flakes falling in one direction and the :sunny: shining from another, but it is lovely!!!

I did get out to the store the other day to pick up a few essentials; my knee was a bit sore from all the walking but I want to keep it knimble too. I did a bit of walking around here (at home) for the same reason. It has improved considerably over the last week though. Thanks for all your prayers for same ... :D

I hope all our friends are enjoying the last week of February; only a few days left. Take care and have a FABULOUS FRIDAY tomorrow ... Rosebud :flow2:

EZMONEY
02-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi Gals :hug:

Well today has been wonderful :) it is my 9th year of being here at 3FC and my 57th birthday...I am so thankful to have lived this long :carrot:

Church was awesome...I will post a link to the sermon on worry/anxiety...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=206480992698971&comments

If you look at the pictures on the right as the intro begins, the 4th one is of my wife, son and nephew....

Anyway, after church we walked the dogs for 3 miles...so cold at first then warm and sunny :) I spent most the day watching NASCAR and napping ;) as Angie played with her new toy...a new sewing machine...she has really been making a lot of purses and stuff lately so it was time for a new one...her old one was 25 years old...she gave it to one of my nieces last night...she was so :carrot: excited to have it!

My son and dil and GRANDdaughter (still in tummy ;)) and nephew are coming by for dinner. My daughter and son in law are visiting Italy for 10 days right now and step-d is in Sacramento.

I will be home after work tomorrow night and Tuesday (doctors appt) but then gone until Friday.

RONNI ~ Prayers for your DH's job!! and situation....I see a lot of stuff in my position with favorites...to be honest I am usually one...because of my talents and leadership (and who my dad was prior to me ;))...but...I have always stood up for my men under all circumstances! I have never been afraid of being fired....but then I was always being asked by other companies to run work for them (that has changed with the economy ;)...and maybe my age :D) Not everyone can be in the same position as I was.

ROSEBUD ~ Cabin time already?...lol :D I bet you can't wait. Prayers for strong legs!

AUNTLOOPY ~ great choices over that fast food! :carrot:

ASHLEY ~ Welcome :)

BECCAJUANITA ~ Thank you :hug:

See you all soon :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-27-2011, 09:20 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GARY ...

:bday2you::bday2you::bday2you:

Glad that you had a nice day! That makes it extra special; and to be well on top of that is icing on the cake, so2speak ... ;)

We have been having very mild temps here today, with a little of the white **** stuff too. Been taking it easy and resting my legs; want them good for the summer. We had BBQ spit chicken with rice and veggie mix for the weekend; and some extra veggies on the side too (broccoli, carrots, corn, and cauliflower).

Hope you all have a wonderful week coming up, with nice temps too; take good care ... Rosebud :flow2:

rissimo
02-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi all, I am a newbie here. I have been looking for a Christian group to join and I was wondering if I could join in with you guys.

My name is Marissa and I am from Tennessee. I have been battling with my weight for over 20 years. I lost 50 pound 10 years ago and then it all came back. I am in the mindset now, and I am ready to lose it again. I have been reading the book "Made to Crave" and it makes alot of sense. I studing that really hard. I have just started the South Beach diet, this is the end of my first week and according to the scales I have lost 3 pds so far.

If I could ask that you please pray for me, that I will have the will power and strength to do this.

AuntLoopy
02-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Hi all! Happy birthday Gary and welcome Marissa! This is a great support network for those who wish to maintain their body's health even as their soul prospers.

WEIRD weekend, but then again, when ISN'T it? Now serving as chaplain to two nursing homes, one of which is quarantined for MRSA right now (always exciting) and youth leader at my church. Saw a lady im volksmarkt that I didn't feel like talking to this afternoon, so I cheerfully proclaimed myself "unclean" and she took off immediately. ;)

Today's bargain at volksmarkt: thread-thin asparagus for $0.99 per bunch. I'm not a fan, but the DH loves it with melted fat-free cheese.

Taking my Dear Doggy to the vet tonight for his service dog health and vaccine recertification. My newest nursing home is well-known for losing Alzheimer's patients, but are sticklers for visitation dog record-keeping. Heh.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-28-2011, 07:14 PM
:welcome: MARISSA ~ glad you found us over here; we'd love for you to join us on our Christian Chat Thread. Prayers sent up for strength for this renewed good-health journey that we are all on together. Pretty name; cute avatar!

AUNT LOOPY ~ we had one patient where I worked that would get in funny moods and decide to "get lost" quite often: summer or winter; and that wasn't good. We had to keep a close eye on her; she was clever and very determined -- trying to go out any one of several doors the place had; so we had to resort to "lock down" many, many times -- esp at night. She kept the staff on their toes, that's for sure ... ;)

The day started out with some fluffy *****, but then switched by this afternoon to lovely :sunny: which we always love to have; mild temps too. So we ventured up town to pick up our weekly groceries. I took both my canes to help me get in and out of the store and used the grocery cart as a walker; when my knee started to complain, I declared the shopping spree was over ... :lol:

We picked up something for lunch; then I rested my legs for the remainder of the afternoon and did some reading. Reading a book called "The Christmas Gift" about a boy who is sent to stay with his grandparents on their farm in Michigan during the great depression; very nice story.

Have a terrific Tuesday ... Rosebud :flow2:

rissimo
03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Aunt Loopy and Rosebud thank you for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to being here. And I am looking forward to the support, I know that I cannot do this alone, I need the help from my Heavenly Father and help from others who are dealing with this as well.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-01-2011, 10:55 PM
:wave: We have blizzard ***** storm on the rage here right now; started just before dinner, but the winds started around noon -- that was a sign of things to come. Everybody is home and keeping safe & warm tonight. Had a good day; resting my knee well.

Had a 6" bunwich & soup for lunch; chicken & roasted veggies for dinner; a good day on plan. Yesterday wasn't so good, so I had a very light dinner to make up for that. Back on target today. Yeah! :D

Have a Wonderful Wednesday everyone; hello to all our MIA's -- hope you and yours are well; take good care ... Rosebud :flow2:

------------------------------
IMPORTANT !!!

I just started up the new MARCH chat thread -- so please DON'T POST HERE ANYMORE ... join us over there, thanks!