Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/see tracker/200

Height: 5'5"

Default Question about stretching

I tried searching for something specific to my question, but I couldn't find anything. Or maybe I am complicating things in my mind and there isn't really an "answer" to my question.

I am wondering what a good stretching routine involves. Stretching has always been kind of a mystery to me and I have the non-limberness to show for it. I basically do the same stretches I learned in PE class in elementary school...basic leg spread-down to the left, right, and middle, and then stretch my quads by pulling on my ankle from behind.

I have considered doing pilates, but I am nervous that I am not limber enough yet that I would get anything out of it. Does anyone have a stretching routine they would care to share? A good website with pictures of stretches? New techniques that maybe I have never heard of?

I appreciate the help
somethingnew912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

A beginners yoga or pilates tape would be a good place to start. Even if you can barely do the poses, you'll get something out of it and will see improvement as you go along.

Waiting to be flexible before you start stretching is like waiting to stop being a virgin before you have sex.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

http://www.yogajournal.com/podcast/

The beginner/gentle one is good, and the evening one is very relaxing and good for someone just starting out.

And if you are doing the video and something comes on that you can't do, it's ok to skip it or modify it.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/235/150

Height: 5'8"

OMG Seagirl, I laughed so hard at your virgin comment

I'm the same way with stretching but have been doing some pilates to help out with that. I couldn't believe how sore I was after the first time doing it!!! And there were a lot of modifications to the routine as well. I figure stretching is like cardio, the more you work on it, the better (longer) you can go. Good luck!
luckymeeks is offline   Reply With Quote