Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3

Default Help! Please look at today's menu

Hi .. I am new to calorie counting. I have successfully lost about 35-37lbs doing the bead diet (accupressure)..it worked very well for me. But now I want to return to eating now that I can control my appetite a little better. I just want those who have successfully lost to look over my prepared menu and give advice. I initially started off this week tweaking my protein, carbs, fat, fiber, etc. and was driving myself bananas. I decided to only focus on calories, fat and fiber until I can see how my body responds. If I am not losing enough then I will look at lowering carbs and increasing protein..yada yada..so I am trying to choose wisely..

B-80 calorie light&fit yogurt w/1/2 cottage cheese w-1/2 cup fiber one (original) yummy...220 calories/14 fiber grams
S-2 temple orange - 150calories (I can never eat 1..love oranges)
L-progresso albondigas soup (new mexican soup)..tasty! however, tons of sodium..yikes!!260 calories, 4 fiber, 9 fat grams
S-apple - 75 calories, yogurt w-fiber one 140 calories/14 fiber grams
D-chix breast & veggies (allowance - 350 for dinnner)
S-skinny cow or vitamuffin top - 100 calories w/more fiber
My goal is not to exceed 1500 today...I am calorie cycling between 1500-1800 days...Whatcha think? Right now I calculate the above about 1300 for the day...and I think I will be quite content, however, I do not want to allow my body to get use to 1300 bc when I lose and begin to plateau doesn't allow me wiggle room. Unless I go for a higher range tomorrow? Please chime in...I want to get the remaining 50lbs off by year end..but I hope to drop another 30 by June for my daughter's H.S. graduation..I will wear an 8 ..that is my ultimate goal!! Wearing 14/16 now...trying not to stress..but that is my focus along with healthy eating habits...thanks!
mom2gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Ok...I'll take a crack at it...but your not gonna like it! LOL

Breakfast - more protein (perhaps a veggie patty or turkey sausage)
Snack - throw 1/2 oz of nuts to offset the sugar spike of the orange and again add to your daily protein count
Lunch - Lose the high sodium canned soups and make homemade reduced sodium soups (your tastebuds and your body will thank you for it) and yet again...more lean protein should be added to this meal
Afternoon snack - looks fine
Dinner - where's the good carbs like beans, lentils, peas...this would be a good time to add some
Snack - Again...avoid sugar spikes don't eat carbs without protein, have your fruit with your yogart here...or add 1/2 oz more nuts, etc.

My suggestions based on my experience. Others may vary...all the best!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #3  

Hey Joyfullloser...I like your suggestions..LOL..
I love nuts..almonds especially, I am just afraid I will overdo, but at least it is a healthy fat. I will print your suggestions and tweak my menu along with the rest of the week. Thanks! Also..yes, I realized I needed another item with dinner..I am always trying to avoid rice..uggh so sick of starches. yes you are right about that sodium...ix nay on that for lunch..my ankles will thank me for sure! thanks!!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #4  
The Awesomest

S/C/G: 320/275/180

Height: 5'8

I agree about the progresso soups. Taste good, low cal...but sodium nightmare. I do eat them once in a while, but not regularly.

I don't have much input on the macronutrient thing, but I think you got some good advice.
lifeasme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #5  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Here are some healthy alternatives to regular white rice that I use:

1. Brown rice
2. Bulgar Wheat
3. Cous Cous (suprisingly high in protein)
4. Quinoa
5. Barley
6. Plain baked sweet potato
7. used very rare in very small portion(garlic baked russet potatoes w/red pepper)

I must admit...I do all my cooking once a week and freeze. Here's a couple of pics to show some different variety of my daily main meals:

1st pic - pumpkin raisin flax muffins - I use for breakfast w/2 turkey sausage and as a snack...YUM!
2nd pic - sauted herb chicken over spinach quinoa w/asparagus and side of plain baked sweet potato (you can also sprinkle a lil cinnamon if you like) - lunch
3rd pic - sesame chicken over rice sticks, steamed stirfry veggies
4th pic - alternate breakfast - cinnamon raisin whole wheat pancake, veggie patty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0155.jpg (62.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0150.jpg (43.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0197.jpg (51.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0174.jpg (47.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by joyfulloser; 02-03-2011 at 11:49 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #6  

Lifeasme and Joyfullloser..thanks bunches!
Wow...your entrees look delish..okay I really really really hate cooking..did I say how much I hate cooking...yikes! LOL...okay..you are so right, I really need to cook once a week...portion out my food for the week. Definitely sweet potato is right up my alley...never tried bulgar wheat (not even sure I know what that is..) never tried cous cous..but these are things to try..to expand my diet...thanks!!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

My only thoughts were a little more protein is needed. I am so surprised at how far 13 almonds goes in keeping me satisfied. I portion them out into little snack baggies when I open the can. Perhaps sub almonds for the morning yogurt since you are eating cottage cheese at the same time? Lunch may be another area where you could sub a lean protein and add a vegetable too. 350 calories for dinner is low for me, since you have 200 more calories to play with, I would personally add them into dinner since I think a 550 calorie dinner is very reasonable and satisfying. Overall though, I think your meal plan looks pretty good, just some suggestions for feeling more satisfied since protein helps me a lot with that.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #8  

Aimeebell..indeed you are right. I will indeed add more protein. Since this morning I added almonds and switched my menu around. Certainly feel much fuller with more protein. I am a carb-a-holic and if I eat carbs it sends me racing for more carbs and sugar...yikes! But my after lunch snack was a whopping 300 calories...however, it consists of light fit yogurt, cottage cheese, fiber one (14 fiber grams-yeah!), chopped bananas and almonds...very dense indeed...and oh so yummy with a hot tea ... I am aiming for denser foods to fill me and i get sweet, creamy, salty, crunchy and fruity all in one...and I know it is loaded with good protein, fats and carbs...thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

@joyfulloser,
i saw you post something about lean proteins yesterday, i think, and that really helped me with my food choices today. thanks for the great advice! i didn't crash all day like i normally would with just carbs/fruit sugars.

Last edited by beerdrinker; 02-04-2011 at 10:12 PM.
beerdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #10  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gbsb View Post
never tried bulgar wheat (not even sure I know what that is..)
Bulgur is really good - kind of nutty and toothy. I posted a recipe in the 400 calorie dinner/lunch ideas (in the stickied area, above) for bulgur salad with tomatoes and feta that is delicious. The recipe makes 4 very large servings, each at about 350 calories, 9.5g fat (the majority from olive oil), and 12g of fiber. You can also add 3-4oz. of grilled boneless skinless chicken on top for another 100-150 calories and 1-1.5g fat. It's a nice recipe to make on a Sunday and have leftovers available for a few lunches/dinner during the week.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote