Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions - Ideas for portable lunch other than salads?

Monkeysocks
02-03-2011, 01:42 AM
I've just started a new job, and have to bring a lunch. Due to some health issues I really can't tolerate lettuce very well, so what low carb ideas can I pack for lunch? Not even sure I can get to the microwave, so it needs to be self contained.

Also breakfast ideas are welcome. Low carb works well for me but I get stuck when I can't figure out these kinds of issues and just give in and eat the high carb food that is available.

astrophe
02-03-2011, 01:52 AM
Ms Bento Lunch jar. Totally worth the cost! Just check through the other sizes for what you actually want/need.

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SL-NCE09-Bento-Stainless-Steel-Vacuum/dp/B0016S7MJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296712279&sr=8-1

Or the Lock & Lock Lunch set. We have a few of those too. Again... check through sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Glass-Lunch-Color-Pattern/dp/B00466I4SY/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1296712410&sr=1-17

A.

ready4skinny
02-03-2011, 01:55 AM
hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese with low carb fruit, peanut butter, bacon strips, - for breakfast stuff

lunch - soup in a thermos, low carb tortilla, with cheese and lunch meat, tuna, hummus?? grilled chicken,

Just a couple of ideas....

luckymommy
02-03-2011, 02:02 AM
I like to take Fage Greek Yogurt and dip persian cucumbers into it and I also crunch on almonds as well. You could also toss some olives in there. Yum!

Sometimes, I just take turkey cold cuts (low sodium) wrapped into some Munster cheese. It's super quick and filling. I don't do the tortillas at this point but if you do, then you could just wrap it in that.

Monkeysocks
02-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the ideas, any more are welcome!

souvenirdarling
03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
I like omelettes, even at room temperature. Even for lunch and dinner.

What about no-lettuce salads? Cucumber/tomato/onion in balsamic, or greek style with cucumber and olives?

Those mini-cans of tuna are really, really convenient!

LLBoldAsLove87
03-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I second a low-carb tortilla filled with a variety of stuff... sometimes I do grilled chicken, some chredded cheese and a little salsa, or I'll use canned chicken or tuna to make chicken/tuna salad using mayo and sugar free relish!

And does spinach cause you problems?

HoustonMom
08-25-2011, 09:17 PM
I almost always eat in and keep packets of tuna, salmon or chicken in my desk. Then on the way to work I drive thru McDonalds or Wendy's and pick up a side salad. Easy easy. Then I eat and read on my lunch hour.